Page 163 of 329 FirstFirst ... 63113153159160161162163164165166167173213263 ... LastLast
Results 4,051 to 4,075 of 8225

Thread: Current fav US TV series

Quote Originally Posted by TheLoony View Post
    Why does my tv turn itself on? It does this at random, I turn it off and a minute or two later, it's turned itself on.
    Big Brother is watching YOU.
    Cobra handling and cocaine use are a bad mix.

Member since March 2004 mozo-pg's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Guitarplyrjvb View Post
    ^^ I find your Honor to be another iteration of the Breaking Bad/Better Call Saul ethos: the Law of Unintended Consequences. It's what drives each show's storyline. Bryan Cranston, just like Breaking Bad, has to navigate his web of deceit with catastrophic consequences.
    Good analysis. I've only watched two episodes and I can pinpoint exactly why the acting is so immediate/compelling but you're drawn right into the storyline within 20 or 30 minutes. The premise does relate to the criminal underworld and the fact Bryan is a judge in the criminal justice system and has all sorts of connections. The father son relationship, at a basic level, is captured nicely. One bad decision and the story is off.
    What can this strange device be? When I touch it, it brings forth a sound (2112)

Quote Originally Posted by mozo-pg View Post
    I really enjoyed the four seasons of Fargo. I rate them in the following order - First, Third, Second, Fourth.

Just started watching the new series, Your Honor, with Bryan Cranston. Wow! Instant classic, draws you right in.
    That is pretty much how I would rate Fargo as well. Fantastic series for the most part.

Regarding “Your Honor”, I have been watching it, but it is not doing a lot for me. The plot is ridiculous, and not even close to the level of “Breaking Bad” IMO. I will continue watching it to the end, but I have to park my brain at the door. Right from the beginning, the fact that the cops did not find the inhaler with blood all over it, right in the middle of the crime scene was a big stretch, and it has been one thing after another since then. The son comes across as a very unsympathetic character who has very little remorse. The fact that he just happens to become involved with the mob boss’s daughter is another pretty big stretch for me. The show is entertaining, but it is just ok for me.

Quote Originally Posted by SteveSly View Post
    Regarding “Your Honor”, I have been watching it, but it is not doing a lot for me. The plot is ridiculous, and not even close to the level of “Breaking Bad” IMO. I will continue watching it to the end, but I have to park my brain at the door.
    This is exactly what I'd read in numerous reviews, which prompted me to stop recording it and not bother. I love Cranston, but I get the feeling this one just won't be for me.
    Interviewer of reprobate ne'er-do-well musicians of the long-haired rock n' roll persuasion at: www.velvetthunder.co.uk and former scribe at Classic Rock Society. Only vaguely aware of anything other than music.

*** Join me in the Garden of Delights for 3 hours of tune-spinning... every Saturday at 5pm EST on Deep Nuggets radio! www.deepnuggets.com ***

^^ I agree. It is no Breaking Bad. However, the premise is the same. The unintended consequences of bad decision making and lies.

I'm only two episodes in to Your Honour but those ones are exciting - plot holes nothwithstanding.
    What can this strange device be? When I touch it, it brings forth a sound (2112)

That is pretty much how I would rate Fargo as well. Fantastic series for the most part.

Regarding “Your Honor”, I have been watching it, but it is not doing a lot for me. The plot is ridiculous, and not even close to the level of “Breaking Bad” IMO. I will continue watching it to the end, but I have to park my brain at the door. Right from the beginning, the fact that the cops did not find the inhaler with blood all over it, right in the middle of the crime scene was a big stretch, and it has been one thing after another since then. The son comes across as a very unsympathetic character who has very little remorse. The fact that he just happens to become involved with the mob boss’s daughter is another pretty big stretch for me. The show is entertaining, but it is just ok for me.
    And didn't the son leave a photo of his mother at the scene (or somewhere nearby) or something? Or maybe he drove far enough away that it wouldn't be connected...
    <sig out of order>

Quote Originally Posted by NogbadTheBad View Post
    Starting watching The Watch last night, an 'adaptation' of Terry Pratchett's beloved books of which I'm a huge fan. It's a long long way from the books but reasonably entertaining so far. I'll probably stick with it.
    I scanned my Pratchett books. It's probably an adaptation of Night Watch, so it's catching the story in the middle. There have been some animated discworld shows, one I watched was about the witches. Wyrd Sisters, IIRC. Where is this show available?

Seems also that it's not very good if you have read the books. I'll take Neil Gaiman's word on this one. He knew Pratchett, wrote a book with him so while entertaining it probably misses the mark.

That really sucks, Pratchett deserves better than this drivel.
    Last edited by TheLoony; 01-26-2021 at 01:17 AM.
    Carry On My Blood-Ejaculating Son - JKL2000

I'm here for the moosic NogbadTheBad's Avatar
    It's a BBC America production.
    Ian

Host of the Post-Avant Jazzcore Happy Hour on progrock.com
    https://podcasts.progrock.com/post-a...re-happy-hour/

Gordon Haskell - "You've got to keep the groove in your head and play a load of bollocks instead"
    I blame Wynton, what was the question?
    There are only 10 types of people in the World, those who understand binary and those that don't.

I scanned my Pratchett books. It's probably an adaptation of Night Watch, so it's catching the story in the middle. There have been some animated discworld shows, one I watched was about the witches. Wyrd Sisters, IIRC. Where is this show available?

Seems also that it's not very good if you have read the books. I'll take Neil Gaiman's word on this one. He knew Pratchett, wrote a book with him so while entertaining it probably misses the mark.

That really sucks, Pratchett deserves better than this drivel.
    It's about the "Ankh-Morpork City Watch"

Quote Originally Posted by TheH View Post
    It's about the "Ankh-Morpork City Watch"
    It uses the character names from the Ankh-Morpork City Watch in a story that bears very little comparison to the source material.
    Ian

Gordon Haskell - "You've got to keep the groove in your head and play a load of bollocks instead"
    There are only 10 types of people in the World, those who understand binary and those that don't.

I liked the adaptation of Going Postal but I think I shall pass on The Watch.
    I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down.'- Bob Newhart

I finally finished all 6 seasons of “Oz” last night. I can totally see how it was a groundbreaking series when it first came out back in the 90’s, but to be honest I had a hard time getting through the whole thing. The show got very soap opera-ish at times. The plot was sometimes way over the top and at times downright ridiculous. If Oz were a real prison it would have been shut down by the end of season 1. I will say that the acting was outstanding. The cast went on to do some of the greatest TV of all time in shows like “The Sopranos”, “Breaking Bad / Better Call Saul”, “Walking Dead”, “Lost”, “Boardwalk Empire” and countless movies. The Oz cast is littered through all of those shows. Overall, the series was just ok for me. I would not necessarily recommend it, although I did end up making it through all 6 seasons.

We started watching Miss Scarlett and the Duke last night. I've never watched a PBS Masterpiece show before, but after two episodes, I'm hooked.

The titular Miss Scarlett's father is a private detective in 19th century London, and he's raised her to be curious, and to develop an interest in policing, detecting, etc. But, this being 19th century London, such pursuits are only for men. When the father passes away, Miss Scarlett sees her opening to start her new career, social mores be damned. She already has a friendly relationship with "The Duke," a Scotland Yard inspector, whom she exploits for cases and advice, despite him not wanting her around at all.

It's light-hearted, the characters are all likeable, the stories have been interesting, and the sets are excellent. Highly recommended.
    Music isn't about chops, or even about talent - it's about sound and the way that sound communicates to people. Mike Keneally

Scott, we watch basically every PBS Masterpiece show. They are always top quality in sets and acting, and with good stories to match. Maybe you'll check out more from now!
    Interviewer of reprobate ne'er-do-well musicians of the long-haired rock n' roll persuasion at: www.velvetthunder.co.uk and former scribe at Classic Rock Society. Only vaguely aware of anything other than music.

*** Join me in the Garden of Delights for 3 hours of tune-spinning... every Saturday at 5pm EST on Deep Nuggets radio! www.deepnuggets.com ***

Quote Originally Posted by Progatron View Post
    Scott, we watch basically every PBS Masterpiece show. They are always top quality in sets and acting, and with good stories to match. Maybe you'll check out more from now!
    Yeah, I think we will. Miss Scarlett is really good.
    Music isn't about chops, or even about talent - it's about sound and the way that sound communicates to people. Mike Keneally

I love PBS Masterpiece but hate that I'd have to subscribe to it.
    Ian

Parrots Ripped My Flesh Dave (in MA)'s Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Scott Bails View Post
    The titular Miss Scarlett's father is a private detective in 19th century London
    Do Col. Mustard and Professor Plum make appearances?

I have continued to watch Your Honour and there are lots of holes in the plot but I just love Bryan Cranston's acting. He is compelling. Some of the initial excitement of the first two episodes has waned - there are lots of unrealistic plot twists. I'm not particularly impressed with the son. Still, for whatever reason, I'm enjoying it.

Quote Originally Posted by Dave (in MA) View Post
    Do Col. Mustard and Professor Plum make appearances?
    Not yet, but I'll keep you posted.

Watched the recent HBO Documentary on Tiger Woods. Very well done.

Tiger Woods is a horrible human being. You could not pay me to watch a doc on that asshole.
    Carry On My Blood-Ejaculating Son - JKL2000

Tiger Woods is a horrible human being. You could not pay me to watch a doc on that asshole.
    Mmmmmm.........ok, so just what exactly is so horrible about him? The doc is a warts and all portrayal of a guy who from the age of 2 was groomed to do nothing but golf. He had a very abnormal childhood and developed practically no social or life skills. When fame hit him (and it hit him at a level very few people ever reach), he had a very hard time handling it. There were also expectations on him to be a role model for the institutions of golf and black people in general. The documentary follows his golf triumphs as possibly the greatest of all time, but it also shows his negative side including his womanizing / sex addiction. Problems with alcohol / drugs and aspects of his life that are not pretty. I am not sure that I would I would call him "horrible" though. Yes, he cheated on his wife, yes he treated some people like shit, and yes he had some very human problems. Curious about your opinion of him?

Well, I'm digging back into the well again. I was really surprised to see Dexter includes 8 seasons. Wow, this show really had legs. I'm on the first episode of season one. Let the revenge killing begin! He quickly establishes the MO of his personality and the other characters (sister, father, coworkers) are all introduced. The tone is set. I remember so of the later seasons had episodes where you would shake your head (absurd plot lines at times). Still, this is a high quality series with lots of twists and turns. My favourite episode is the one where he travels to the UK to see revenge on a women nemesis.

Quote Originally Posted by Sturgeon's Lawyer View Post
    Big Brother is watching YOU.
    Facebook?
    A Comfort Zone is not a Life Sentence