Thread: Current fav US TV series

Quote Originally Posted by Hal... View Post
    Squid Game. I'd give the first 5 episodes a B or a B+, episode 6 an A+, and episodes 7 and 8 an A. The last episode, 9, is a little trickier. I'd give the first 23-24 minutes an A-, the next 18 minutes a C, and the last 15 seconds an F.

Still, overall, it's a great show. Just make sure to keep the audio in the original Korean and use subtitles. Unless you speak Korean, of course. The voice acting for the English audio sucks. Unfortunately, I was usually eating for those first 5 episodes and it seemed like a good idea to hear it in English since eating and reading subtitles isn't easy.

For those who've seen it, here's why I grade E9 the way I did: I get that the game changed him. But he wins all that money and then takes a year to get his shit together and help Sae-byeok's son? Not to mention his own daughter!!! And then at the last minute, as he's about to board the plane to the US to be with his daughter, what does he do? Turns around and still neglects her, disappointing her once again, I'm sure. I just thought it could have been written better.
    I had a similar reaction to the end, but they were obviously setting up a sequel, so I guess we will see where it goes.

We watched the first two episodes of Clickbait last night. Very engaging. We intended to only watch the first episode, but we had to see what happened in the next episode. Seems very binge-worthy.
    Music isn't about chops, or even about talent - it's about sound and the way that sound communicates to people. Mike Keneally

Quote Originally Posted by Scott Bails View Post
    We watched the first two episodes of Clickbait last night. Very engaging. We intended to only watch the first episode, but we had to see what happened in the next episode. Seems very binge-worthy.
    It is pretty good. We binged through it fairly quickly. It got a bit far fetched for me towards the end, but I enjoyed it for the most part.

Occipital Provocatee Plasmatopia's Avatar
    Finished the second season of See and the last episode was epic. I really liked both seasons of this show. Interesting concept.
    <sig out of order>

Same here loved both season of See.

Quote Originally Posted by Scott Bails View Post
    I couldn't shake the feeling it was an adult version of an after-school special.
    Duncan's going to make a Horns Emoticon!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Hal... View Post
    Squid Game. I'd give the first 5 episodes a B or a B+, episode 6 an A+, and episodes 7 and 8 an A. The last episode, 9, is a little trickier. I'd give the first 23-24 minutes an A-, the next 18 minutes a C, and the last 15 seconds an F.

Still, overall, it's a great show. Just make sure to keep the audio in the original Korean and use subtitles. Unless you speak Korean, of course. The voice acting for the English audio sucks. Unfortunately, I was usually eating for those first 5 episodes and it seemed like a good idea to hear it in English since eating and reading subtitles isn't easy.

For those who've seen it, here's why I grade E9 the way I did: I get that the game changed him. But he wins all that money and then takes a year to get his shit together and help Sae-byeok's son? Not to mention his own daughter!!! And then at the last minute, as he's about to board the plane to the US to be with his daughter, what does he do? Turns around and still neglects her, disappointing her once again, I'm sure. I just thought it could have been written better.
    It was her brother, not her son. I see a season two in the making.....also, my daughter speaks Korean, so even the subtitles miss some of the cultural content...as you probably would expect. Glad she watched it with me.
    "And this is the chorus.....or perhaps it's a bridge...."

Watched the first show of the new season of "Succession" tonight. One of the best things on TV right now and subtly funny as hell

Quote Originally Posted by SteveSly View Post
    Watched the first show of the new season of "Succession" tonight. One of the best things on TV right now and subtly funny as hell
    Absolutely. So glad it's finally back. I rank it up there with Six Feet Under, Breaking Bad and The Sopranos.

I'm four episodes into Midnight Mass now, and I could really have done without that scene where the two leads sit on a couch and trade lengthy monologues (about what happens when you die). That subject matter is fine, but nobody converses that way, it comes across as incredibly unnatural for one person to say nothing while the other acts like they're on the Globe theatre stage with a spotlight on them.
    Interviewer of reprobate ne'er-do-well musicians of the long-haired rock n' roll persuasion at: www.velvetthunder.co.uk

Member since March 2004 mozo-pg's Avatar
    Agreed - saw the first episode of Succession tonight - it's already stellar!!
    What can this strange device be? When I touch it, it brings forth a sound.

Quote Originally Posted by Progatron View Post
    Absolutely. So glad it's finally back. I rank it up there with Six Feet Under, Breaking Bad and The Sopranos.

m.
    I have to wait until the full series runs before I rank it up with Breaking Bad and The Sopranos, but they are certainly on that tack so far. Although I enjoyed Six Feet Under and think the final season and ending completely knocked it out of the park, there were a few seasons where I thought it bogged down a bit and got a bit close to Soap Opera at times. I don't rank it quite as high as the two other shows.

Quote Originally Posted by mozo-pg View Post
    Agreed - saw the first episode of Succession tonight - it's already stellar!!
    Indeed. And how much coke is Kendall consuming? The dude was flying high the entire episode.
    I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down.'- Bob Newhart

Just finished Calamari Games (I mean Squid Games) and if you gave up after the first episode you need to go back and stick with it.
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    A gentleman is defined as someone who knows how to play the accordion, and doesn't.

Quote Originally Posted by SteveSly View Post
    Took me a bit to reorient to the events of last season, but once I did - zing - off and running with, as you mentioned, one of the best shows on TV at this moment.

Anyone watching Dopesick on Hulu? Man, what a criminal story....
    "And this is the chorus.....or perhaps it's a bridge...."

Quote Originally Posted by BobM View Post
    Just finished Calamari Games (I mean Squid Games) and if you gave up after the first episode you need to go back and stick with it.
    Me too. I thought it was okay to pretty good, a little silly overall, but generally entertaining. I wondered if Locke & Key (Joe Hill adaptation) was worth watching. I saw the first episode, and it was a bit dry and I didn't care for the teens in it.
    Last edited by hippypants; 2 Hours Ago at 03:20 PM.

Member since March 2004 mozo-pg's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Jerjo View Post
    Indeed. And how much coke is Kendall consuming? The dude was flying high the entire episode.
    Yeah, filthy rich and coke aren't a good combination. I don't find any of the characters really likeable but I do like Kendal.
    Last edited by mozo-pg; 41 Minutes Ago at 05:27 PM.
    What can this strange device be? When I touch it, it brings forth a sound.

Quote Originally Posted by wideopenears View Post
    Anyone watching Dopesick on Hulu? Man, what a criminal story....
    I saw Ep 1 and ready to continue once I clear a few other shows. Intense stuff.