Page 9 of 328 FirstFirst ... 56789101112131959109 ... LastLast

Thread: Current fav US TV series

Quote Originally Posted by Jerjo View Post
    First season of Fargo is a must see but some jokes might soar past non-US viewers. The trailer for season two just came out and it look brilliant
    ]
    Agreed, the first season was awesome. The 2nd season looks good too and is a prequel to the first one.

First season of Fargo is a must see but some jokes might soar past non-US viewers. The trailer for season two just came out and it look brilliant

Great use of an old Dr John hit!
    “From thirty feet away she looked like a lot of class. From ten feet away she looked like something made up to be seen from thirty feet away.” – Philip Marlowe

Loved the first series and am looking forward to this new one. Haven't seen the trailer before now, thanks! Looks just super.

Guess I'll be going back to ND after all this love here. I will miss McDormand & Macy however.
    "My choice early in life was either to be a piano player in a whorehouse or a politician, and to tell the truth, there's hardly any difference"

President Harry S. Truman

Geezer, if you haven't seen that first season do so immediately. It was just amazing. Utterly unpredictable, insane, bloody, hilarious, and my favorite series of last year (a year of some damn good TV).
    I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down.'- Bob Newhart

OK Jer. I'm there as soon as I get into my new digs on Aug 1st!

Shit, I've got 6 1/2 seasons of Mad Men to go as well.
    "My choice early in life was either to be a piano player in a whorehouse or a politician, and to tell the truth, there's hardly any difference"

President Harry S. Truman

Geezer, if you haven't seen that first season do so immediately. It was just amazing. Utterly unpredictable, insane, bloody, hilarious, and my favorite series of last year (a year of some damn good TV).
    Agreed, the new season is a prequel to season I and basically tells the story of Keith Carradine’s character in his younger days and the incident that spawned some of what happened in the first season (I don’t remember all of the details off the top of my head), so it would probably be wise to watch it before starting the new season.

Geezer - I was the same way and avoided this show as I did not think there was any way they could top the movie. My father was the one who kept raving about how good it was, so when it came out on Netflix I took the plunge and got hooked right off the bat. It certainly keeps the spirit of the movie and has similar, yet different characters. The acting and writing are top notch.

Has anyone been watching Humans? It's an SF show on AMC (and Channel 4 in the UK) and is actually an American-British show based on an originally Swedish show. I wouldn't say it's great but it's pretty good.

Quote Originally Posted by SteveSly View Post
    I was the same way and avoided this show as I did not think there was any way they could top the movie... It certainly keeps the spirit of the movie and has similar, yet different characters. The acting and writing are top notch.
    In cases like this, it helps to find out who's "behind the scenes". The Coens were exec producers. There was also an article about the show before it ran which included an interview with them. Those were the deciding factors for me because, like you, I wasn't really all that interested.
    “From thirty feet away she looked like a lot of class. From ten feet away she looked like something made up to be seen from thirty feet away.” – Philip Marlowe

Ho-lee crap Defiance has taken a huge upswing this season from a pretty "meh" opening season to be pretty much the best horse-opera sci-fi on TV that I know of right now but tonight's episode was nuts. Like, Breaking Bad nuts. Is anyone else here watching it??

Oh, and episode 1 of Sex & Drugs & Rock'n'Roll didn't totally grab me but episode 2 was funny as shit.

Since Californication and Sons Of Anarchy are now both finished, I tried a couple newer recently.

But if Justfied (in Hicksville, Kentucky) is a serious letdown, I tried Banshee (in West Penn): good arses & tits, but wayayay too much ultra-violence (OK, SoA wasn'ty exactly for choirboys either in that regards), neither will fit for a mid-term series addiction (which I don't have anyways)

Can anyone guide me towards a serie that's not too violent, with good humour (ala Californication or Hung), a RnR lyfestyle or préoccupation, lots of T&A, etc...
    my music collection increased tenfolds when I switched from drug-addicts to complete nutcases.

Quote Originally Posted by trurl View Post
    Oh, and episode 1 of Sex & Drugs & Rock'n'Roll didn't totally grab me but episode 2 was funny as shit.

What is this one about?? (I know, the titlme gives it away, but....)
    my music collection increased tenfolds when I switched from drug-addicts to complete nutcases.

Quote Originally Posted by Trane View Post
    What is this one about?? (I know, the titlme gives it away, but....)
    An aging loser rock star who finds he has a daughter he never knew about that wants to break into the biz and hires him to write songs for her. She basically reforms his old band. Dennis Leary playing himself again, really.

Quote Originally Posted by trurl View Post
    An aging loser rock star who finds he has a daughter he never knew about that wants to break into the biz and hires him to write songs for her. She basically reforms his old band. Dennis Leary playing himself again, really.
    yeah, I was kind of afraid it would be something like that. Mauybe I'll borrow the first season from my library system (if they've got it)

Sex&Drugs&Rock&Roll is a brand new show that premiered this month on the FX channel here in the States. You're not going to find it at your library for a while, yet.

Has anybody watched "Marco Polo" ? I watched the 1st episode last night but was nodding off. Not through lack of interest but just because that's what happens when I watch a show on my iPad while lying in bed. I'll have to rewatch it. My understanding is that it's a show that fans love but critics panned....
    "Corn Flakes pissed in. You ranted. Mission accomplished. Thread closed."

-Cozy 3:16-

Has anyone seen a show on Comedy Central called @Midnight? It's hosted by The Talking Dead's Chris Hardwicke and is a game show with comedians as contestants. I just saw my first episode today and it was pretty damn funny.

Yeah, I've been watching @Midnight for the last year. Never fails to get at least three belly laughs from me per episode.
    I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down.'- Bob Newhart

I just viewed the first disc od season 1 of Cougar town and I find it a bit/quite funny, but too wordy... You draw a square between Weeds, Californication, Sex & The City and Married With Children, and Cougar Town should be somewhere in the middle.

I dropped Justified after three episodes, and I'll maybe view season2 of Banshee (good T&A, but I hate the useless violence)

unfortunately, my library system doesn't carry You're The Worst.

Parrots Ripped My Flesh Dave (in MA)'s Avatar
    I thought the Fargo TV show was as good as the movie. I wonder if MN/ND people will fine Danson's accent as lame as we found Ratzenberger's "Boston" accent to be?

I remember when the Fargo movie was first out, my wife's MN cousin claimed that the movie got the accents all wrong, but he sounded just like the people in the movie when he was telling us this. I guess it takes a local ear to discern these things.

Lived in North Dakota and Minnesota all my life. That accent is the "out-state" Minnesota accent. You hear that over in Wisconsin as well. In ND it tends to get a little flatter, not as much as musical. I've heard people say, "yah sure, we don't talk like that, gosh, where's that recipe for macaroni beef hot dish".

Quote Originally Posted by Trane View Post
    I just viewed the first disc od season 1 of Cougar town and I find it a bit/quite funny, but too wordy... You draw a square between Weeds, Californication, Sex & The City and Married With Children, and Cougar Town should be somewhere in the middle.

I dropped Justified after three episodes, and I'll maybe view season2 of Banshee (good T&A, but I hate the useless violence)

unfortunately, my library system doesn't carry You're The Worst.
    When it first came out I had no interest in seeing “Cougar Town” at all, but in the final season it often came on late at night right after something else that I had on tv (I work 2nd shift), and it really grew on be to the point where I think it was a really funny show. I have not seen every season, but caught quite a bit of it. The writing is clever and it was well acted. A surprising find for me.

Lived in North Dakota and Minnesota all my life. That accent is the "out-state" Minnesota accent. You hear that over in Wisconsin as well. In ND it tends to get a little flatter, not as much as musical. I've heard people say, "yah sure, we don't talk like that, gosh, where's that recipe for macaroni beef hot dish".
    Agreed it sounded a lot like a northwestern Wisconsin accent to me as well. My wife’s extended family is from that area and talk a lot like those in the movie / show.

Quote Originally Posted by SteveSly View Post
    When it first came out I had no interest in seeing “Cougar Town” at all, but in the final season it often came on late at night right after something else that I had on tv (I work 2nd shift), and it really grew on be to the point where I think it was a really funny show. I have not seen every season, but caught quite a bit of it. The writing is clever and it was well acted. A surprising find for me.
    I just viewed the disc 2 of season 1 last nighty, It's still funny (surprise is gone though), but I'll take it easy on viewing the next DVD and upcoming seasons, because this is a thing you can quickly overdose on and get sickened of it... I must take this in homeopathic doses. no idea how many seasons or whether it's over (apparently you seem to hint it is), but this is the type of thing I'll take a few months...
    no binges like Sons of Anarchy or Californication.

Too bad there is no T&A (most of these actresses are really babes), but this is too much axed towards women to allow for that (didn't stop Sex & The City from showing plenty of T&A, though)

FYI, the creator of Cougar Town was also the creator of Scrubs, which I thought was usually a funnier show. Cougar Town was dropped after the 3rd season by ABC and was picked up by TBS. It only lasted another 3 seasons, I think. Only the first two years were full seasons, tho. The rest were abbreviated seasons (~13 episodes). The last two seasons weren't quite as good as the first 4, I thought.