Page 97 of 330 FirstFirst ... 478793949596979899100101107147197 ... LastLast
Results 2,401 to 2,425 of 8227

Thread: Current fav US TV series

The wife and I started binge watching The Haunting Of Hill House on Netlix. Made it through 8 episodes in two days. It is really really good so far.

getting through Marvel's The Runaways Season 2 on HULU.

I wonder how it will end, but it almost feels like they made 2-seasons in 1 given the events of the 1st 7 or 8 episodes.

Highly Evolved Orangutan JKL2000's Avatar
    Did we really not have a Westworld thread? Surprising. Well...

********* SPOILERS **********

I binge watched the first season of Westworld, but I've been watching the second series way too slowly. But last night I watched episode 5, "Akane no Mai." Man, what a great episode! My teen son used to be a big manga fan, and while he hasn't watched much Westworld, I'm almost thinking he'd enjoy this episode as a standalone. Very cool action and plot development. I think it's kicked me into binge watching the rest of the series.

Is that the episode about the Native American? If so, that's one of the best episodes of anything I've ever seen.
    Music isn't about chops, or even about talent - it's about sound and the way that sound communicates to people. Mike Keneally

Yah, I think that's the one. The second season felt a little disjointed but that episode was stunning.
    I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down.'- Bob Newhart

Quote Originally Posted by Scott Bails View Post
    Is that the episode about the Native American? If so, that's one of the best episodes of anything I've ever seen.
    No, it's the one that introduces Shogun World.

Quote Originally Posted by JKL2000 View Post
    No, it's the one that introduces Shogun World.
    I enjoyed that one, too, though I've read where critics thought it was superfluous and unnecessary. I don't agree.
    Music isn't about chops, or even about talent - it's about sound and the way that sound communicates to people. Mike Keneally

Quote Originally Posted by Scott Bails View Post
    Watched this one today - very good!

I have a question, if anyone can answer it without big spoilers. A few episodes ago they introduced "Raj World," a world set in British colonial India. But it was just a short, opening scene. Is that going to figure in the last couple episodes at all? I figure it must - I don't remember recognizing the characters in that scene, but maybe I blanked, as I hadn't seen any Westworld in a long time.

You won't see it again - it was just to introduce one character
    I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down.'- Bob Newhart

Just finished Black Mirror: Bandersnatch and it was pretty cool! This "Choose your own adventure" style will be all the rage now, I'm quite sure. And they will become increasingly elaborate too.
    Interviewer of reprobate ne'er-do-well musicians of the long-haired rock n' roll persuasion at: www.velvetthunder.co.uk and former scribe at Classic Rock Society. Only vaguely aware of anything other than music.

*** Join me in the Garden of Delights for 3 hours of tune-spinning... every Saturday at 5pm EST on Deep Nuggets radio! www.deepnuggets.com ***

We finally watched the first episode of Mrs Maisel last night. Damn, that was great!

Quote Originally Posted by Jerjo View Post
    You won't see it again - it was just to introduce one character
    Who was it, Ed Harris's daughter?

BTW, all the shogun stuff is reminding me of how when I was a kid and watched Westworld I'd think "Ok, the guns won't fire at humans, but what about the swords and arrows? One guest could easily kill another."

Banned
    Is there really no love for Bron/Broen (The Bridge)? Sofia Helin gives a masterful portrayal of a detective with extreme manifestations of Asperger's (apparently) that buries empathy and understanding of social queues but masks a world of pain boiling inside that will forces her to face her condition. Kim Bodnia (also in Killing Eve) turns in an amazing emotive performance with pain and anger spilling out of his pores and watery eyes. Add to that great production values and superb writing. Easily the best new show of 2018 for me, but perhaps I am alone in that assessment. The Wife didn't care for it, but she's a light weigh and perhaps it was just to gruesome for her. Half-way through the last season and dreading this ending more than any series since Breaking Bad...

Even the theme song is great - Hollow Talk by the Choir Of Young Believers

I'm surprised there's not more love for Amazon's "The Man in the High Castle". It's adapted from Philip K. Dick's book of the same name. It's just creepy as hell to see the Nazi flags festooning New York and the Rising Sun waving over San Francisco after the theme song Eidelweiss softly plays over the opening credits. They also have an excellent anthology series called "Philip K. Dick's Electric Dreams" which is curated by Dick's daughter and his estate. It expands on several theme's in Dick's writing (alienation, the nature of reality, rampant consumerism...) even though the stories are by other writers.

I think Amazon also did a great job with the series "Bosch". They really capture the culture of the police as portrayed in Michael Connelly's books as well as Bosch's character.

I'm here for the moosic NogbadTheBad's Avatar
    I'm enjoying Bosch & Electric Dreams, we tried High Castle but couldn't get into it at all. Just started the German show Perfume.
    Ian

Host of the Post-Avant Jazzcore Happy Hour on progrock.com
    https://podcasts.progrock.com/post-a...re-happy-hour/

Gordon Haskell - "You've got to keep the groove in your head and play a load of bollocks instead"
    I blame Wynton, what was the question?
    There are only 10 types of people in the World, those who understand binary and those that don't.

Banned
    Electric Dreams is quite good so far, but like the Nogster, we gave up on The Man in the High Castle after several episodes - maybe it got better?

Electric Dreams was awesome, but I don't think it got renewed.

I found the pilot episode of Man in the High Castle on Youtube, but was sad they killed off 1 of the characters. Is it on Netflix, Hulu or Amazon?

Afa Westworld I wrote a whole hyperbolic thing last Summer after watching the film, the sequel and both seasons of the HBO show.
    ***WITH SPOILERS***
    https://allmediareviews.blogspot.com...ld-movies.html

The Native American Episode was probably the best episode of Season 2.

I finished Marvel's RUNAWAYS Season 2 the other day. Big step up from Season 1. I didn't think it would work for 13 episodes, but ultimately it did; how they kept the mystery of some of the parents personality changes and the introduction of Xavin, the new alien.

Excited for Y (Y: The Last Man, the other Brian K Vaughan show coming soon), Veronica Mars reboot and of course Stranger Things coming next Summer.

Also the Goldbergs spinoff Schooled I'm curious about.

The Orville premiere the other night was okay. I thought I noticed Babylon 5's Peter Jurasik as a guest star on an upcoming episode. 2nd episode is on Thursday.
    Last edited by mnprogger; 01-01-2019 at 03:16 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by mnprogger View Post
    I found the pilot episode of Man in the High Castle on Youtube, but was sad they killed off 1 of the characters. Is it on Netflix, Hulu or Amazon?
    It's on Amazon.

Shows I'm looking forward too

Game Of Thrones
    Good Omens
    American Gods
    Westworld
    Altered Carbon
    True Dectective
    Ian

Gordon Haskell - "You've got to keep the groove in your head and play a load of bollocks instead"
    There are only 10 types of people in the World, those who understand binary and those that don't.

thanksmNogBadtheBad.

I think Westworld Season 3 won't be coming until 2020.

thanksmNogBadtheBad.

I guess I'll still be looking forward to it then
    Ian

Quote Originally Posted by Guitarplyrjvb View Post
    I'm surprised there's not more love for Amazon's "The Man in the High Castle". It's adapted from Philip K. Dick's book of the same name. It's just creepy as hell to see the Nazi flags festooning New York and the Rising Sun waving over San Francisco after the theme song Eidelweiss softly plays over the opening credits. They also have an excellent anthology series called "Philip K. Dick's Electric Dreams" which is curated by Dick's daughter and his estate. It expands on several theme's in Dick's writing (alienation, the nature of reality, rampant consumerism...) even though the stories are by other writers.

I think Amazon also did a great job with the series "Bosch". They really capture the culture of the police as portrayed in Michael Connelly's books as well as Bosch's character.
    I am a fan. Just finished the last season.
    "And this is the chorus.....or perhaps it's a bridge...."

thanksmNogBadtheBad.

Does anyone know if the fire will cause more of a delay in production? The entire western set was burned to the ground in one of the wildfires this fall.

Subterranean Tapir Hobo Chang Ba's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by SteveSly View Post
    Does anyone know if the fire will cause more of a delay in production? The entire western set was burned to the ground in one of the wildfires this fall.
    I've heard nothing official, but I would imagine it would be a slight delay if any...I mean when season 2 ended they haven't even begun to write season 3 so I would guess shooting it would be still a ways off, and in that time they could rebuild the sets.

But as noted, this is just conjecture from a non-Hollywood type.
    Please don't ask questions, just use google.

Never let good music get in the way of making a profit.

I'm only here to reglaze my bathtub.

We finished The Haunting Of Hill House on Netflix this afternoon. I thought it was really well done, although it did drag a bit in spots. I think they probably could have done the story just as effectively in about 8 episodes instead of 10, but overall it was very good, and a different twist on the horror genre.

Quote Originally Posted by Guitarplyrjvb View Post

I love Bosch. You're right - it just has a great feel to it. That whole L.A. noir vibe.

I've been meaning to start TMitHC. Just not enough time to get to everything.

Quote Originally Posted by NogbadTheBad View Post

Shows I'm looking forward too

Game Of Thrones
    Good Omens
    American Gods
    Westworld
    Altered Carbon
    True Dectective
    I never saw Season 2 of True Detective, after the scathing reviews it got, but this new one looks great. Mahershala Ali is a fantastic actor.