Page 8 of 328 FirstFirst ... 4567891011121858108 ... LastLast

Thread: Current fav US TV series

Quote Originally Posted by No Pride View Post
    My "Significant Other" and I have been watching it.
    I have to ask, why did you put quotes around the phrase significant other? I've never seen it written like that and my mind is coming up with all kinds of possibilities as to what it could mean.
    “From thirty feet away she looked like a lot of class. From ten feet away she looked like something made up to be seen from thirty feet away.” – Philip Marlowe

Quote Originally Posted by Hal... View Post
    I have to ask, why did you put quotes around the phrase significant other? I've never seen it written like that and my mind is coming up with all kinds of possibilities as to what it could mean.
    I guess I'm just an innovator.

Okay, I'll buy that.

BTW, Ernie, here are some of the possibilities as to what the phrase could mean when put into quotes:
    The significant other is not significant.
    The significant other is so significant that the other person is insignificant by comparison.
    The significant other is a figment of the person's imagination.
    The significant other is someone whose identity the person does not want to reveal publicly for a myriad of reasons... which would create another list.
    The significant other is just one of the many personalities the person possesses.
    “From thirty feet away she looked like a lot of class. From ten feet away she looked like something made up to be seen from thirty feet away.” – Philip Marlowe

My "Significant Other" and I have been watching it. It's almost like a crazed soap opera, but unlike soap operas, where you have to wait for weeks for something to happen, shit is happening constantly! And yes, Freddie Highmore is perfectly creepy!
    That is as good as a decription as any. Freddie is just 8 years removed from August Rush.

Quote Originally Posted by Hal... View Post
    Okay, I'll buy that.

BTW, Ernie, here are some of the possibilities as to what the phrase could mean when put into quotes:
    The significant other is not significant.
    The significant other is so significant that the other person is insignificant by comparison.
    The significant other is a figment of the person's imagination.
    The significant other is someone whose identity the person does not want to reveal publicly for a myriad of reasons... which would create another list.
    The significant other is just one of the many personalities the person possesses.
    Sigh... I tend to use quotation marks around clichéd phrases that I think are kind of silly, but are established modes of communication. If you must know, I'm talking about my live-in girlfriend of 8 years. I gave her an engagement ring 6 years ago, but haven't pulled the trigger on the big "M." The word "fiancé" doesn't feel right in that context and she's not legally my wife, though she is for all practical purposes. Now, aren't you sorry you asked?

Sigh... I tend to use quotation marks around clichéd phrases that I think are kind of silly, but are established modes of communication.
    I gotcha; I'll try to remember that. I hope you don't think I was pushing for details. I just thought it was interesting seeing the phrase in quotes because my mind works in mysterious ways and all the possibilities to what it could mean were amusing to me. I hope you thought they were, too. If not, my apologies.

Apology not necessary, but accepted.

Get a room

BG
    "When Yes appeared on stage, it was like, the gods appearing from the heavens, deigning to play in front of the people."

You thought he might be talking about a Golden Retriever. Just admit it.

Anybody watch(ing) the Netflix Original Series "Sense8" ? I'm halfway through the first season (so no spoilers please) but I am enjoying it. It could do wih a little less sexuality (both straight and gay) but I am liking the slow pace of the show and it's visually stunning...
    "Corn Flakes pissed in. You ranted. Mission accomplished. Thread closed."

-Cozy 3:16-

^
    I've heard mixed reviews, not enough good to get me to watch yet.

My wife and I have been bingeing on series for most of the past year. It started with the first season of Orange is the New Black, then finally got around to watching Deadwood, which was incredible, and just went from there. There's nothing on the main networks we watch at all anymore.
    With overall ratings and comments tacked on, so far we've run through:

OITNB 7/10 This third season had some low moments, but overall still a strong series.
    Wentworth 8/10 My favorite of the 2 current women's prison series by a slight margin.
    Deadwood 10/10
    Newhart 6/10 (Dragged down by the final couple of seasons.)
    Malcolm in the Middle 8/10
    Oz 9/10
    Taxi 10/10
    Veep 6/10
    Green Wing 9/10
    Episodes 9/10
    Friday Night Dinner 5/10
    Daredevil 9/10
    House of Cards 7/10
    Downton Abbey 6/10 Lord help me, but I think I would have loved to have worked in one of those estates back then.

We actually watched Justified each week since it started, and this final season was very gratifying. I'm glad they pulled the plug and decided to end it on their own terms, rather than string it out and diminish the whole. Strong 10/10 for Justified.

With the news that Hannibal has been canceled, that might be the next one to start and get through quickly with only 3 season to watch.

I hear good things about the Amazon series, Bosch, with Titus Welliver. That's on the list as well.

I'm very interested in the new FX series that debuts tomorrow night. "Sex, Drugs & Rock n' Roll' is the show's innovative title.

It's about a washed-up rock star (Denis Leary) who is inspired by a reunion of Afghan Whigs to try to get his dinosaurs together again and gig. Looks pretty funny.
    "My choice early in life was either to be a piano player in a whorehouse or a politician, and to tell the truth, there's hardly any difference"

President Harry S. Truman

Are any of you watching Rectify? Just saw in on my Netflix recommended list, did a little search on it, and it sounds like something I could enjoy; namely a slow-paced character driven story.

Quote Originally Posted by Yves View Post
    Are any of you watching Rectify? Just saw in on my Netflix recommended list, did a little search on it, and it sounds like something I could enjoy; namely a slow-paced character driven story.
    No, but based on your previous comments, I'm gonna check out Sense8.
    "My choice early in life was either to be a piano player in a whorehouse or a politician, and to tell the truth, there's hardly any difference"

Quote Originally Posted by progeezer View Post
    I'm very interested in the new FX series that debuts tomorrow night. "Sex, Drugs & Rock n' Roll' is the show's innovative title.

It's about a washed-up rock star (Denis Leary) who is inspired by a reunion of Afghan Whigs to try to get his dinosaurs together again and gig. Looks pretty funny.
    I forgot that was starting up. Agree it looks good. Leary is a funny, intelligent guy.

Leary also created & wrote the show, just like "Rescue Me".

Not surprising that FX would not have to be convinced much to buy it, since they made a lot of $ from the firemen,

Quote Originally Posted by progeezer View Post
    No, but based on your previous comments, I'm gonna check out Sense8.
    I'm liking it more and more with each episode. It's like a serial drama with a hint of SF that is about to boil over into a more hardcore SF series. the pace is very slow as we're drawn into the characters lives. People have knocked the fact that it takes place in several countries simultaneously but I think that is part of its appeal. Give it a few episodes and see if it doesn't grow on you.

Quote Originally Posted by Yves View Post
    People have knocked the fact that it takes place in several countries simultaneously but I think that is part of its appeal. Give it a few episodes and see if it doesn't grow on you.
    This is what had me throwing my hands up watching the first couple of episodes - gave up and decided to bingewatch Oz in its entirety instead. Seemed to be going down that Heroes rabbit hole right out of the gate for me. Perhaps once Oz is done I should go back and give Sense8 another whirl...
    -=Will you stand by me against the cold night, or are you afraid of the ice?=-

So far, I'm enjoying new series Complications and Mr. Robot. Not quite sure about Humans yet, seems like a spin off on recent film Ex Machina, which I thought was much better.

Any "Archer" fans here? I'm halfway through Season 3 and I find the show gets funnier and funnier with every episode.

Warning: Not for the politically incorrect faint of heart.

I've only caught episodes here and there. I did really enjoy the Bob's Burgers amnesia episode.

BIG Archer fan, here. Great show. One of the funniest in over a decade.

Archer is the bomb. Even when a season goes off the rails a little it's still far funnier than anything on broadcast TV. Plus, there are occasional Rush references.

I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down.'- Bob Newhart

First season of Fargo is a must see but some jokes might soar past non-US viewers. The trailer for season two just came out and it look brilliant

I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down.'- Bob Newhart

I've only watched about a half season of Archer but it's pretty great. I can really only watch it with no one else around...