Page 88 of 329 FirstFirst ... 387884858687888990919298138188 ... LastLast
Results 2,176 to 2,200 of 8225

Thread: Current fav US TV series

Sharp Objects finale.

WOW.

Did not see that coming. Amazing!
    Interviewer of reprobate ne'er-do-well musicians of the long-haired rock n' roll persuasion at: www.velvetthunder.co.uk and former scribe at Classic Rock Society. Only vaguely aware of anything other than music.

*** Join me in the Garden of Delights for 3 hours of tune-spinning... every Saturday at 5pm EST on Deep Nuggets radio! www.deepnuggets.com ***

Quote Originally Posted by Progatron View Post
    Sharp Objects finale.

WOW.

Did not see that coming. Amazing!
    Yeah. That was a shocker.

Overall, I thought the show was a little disappointing. It felt like it dragged some in the middle, and then they raced at the end to fit everything in. And that little quick-cut montage during the credits was virtually worthless, though it looked like it was supposed to feature some pretty important footage.
    Music isn't about chops, or even about talent - it's about sound and the way that sound communicates to people. Mike Keneally

Subterranean Tapir Hobo Chang Ba's Avatar
    ^ yeah. I would have preferred a legitimate flashback of what they were trying to show there. And putting it where they did makes very little sense.

Overall though a pretty good view. Didn't mind the slowness (but yeah...a longer final episode might have made sense). Not a top 10 show for sure, but I don't think I've wasted my time watching it.
    Last edited by Hobo Chang Ba; 08-27-2018 at 07:25 PM.
    Please don't ask questions, just use google.

Never let good music get in the way of making a profit.

I'm only here to reglaze my bathtub.

Just watched the finale. Did not see that coming either. Holy fuck!
    I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down.'- Bob Newhart

Quote Originally Posted by Hobo Chang Ba View Post
    ^ yeah. I would have preferred a legitimate flashback of what they were trying to show there. And putting it where they did makes very little sense.

Overall though a pretty good view. Didn't mind the slowness (but yeah...a longer final episode might have made sense). Not a top 10 show for sure, but I don't think I've wasted my time watching it.
    No, definitely not a waste of time. It's a great story. I just would have changed a few things.
    Music isn't about chops, or even about talent - it's about sound and the way that sound communicates to people. Mike Keneally

Yes, overall the pacing could have used some fine-tuning (a common problem IMO) but it was a great series overall and once again, that ending. Just wow.

I've just started The Sinner season 2 and it looks to be another good one!
    Interviewer of reprobate ne'er-do-well musicians of the long-haired rock n' roll persuasion at: www.velvetthunder.co.uk and former scribe at Classic Rock Society. Only vaguely aware of anything other than music.

*** Join me in the Garden of Delights for 3 hours of tune-spinning... every Saturday at 5pm EST on Deep Nuggets radio! www.deepnuggets.com ***

The director of SO said that using the intro to Zep's "In the Evening" was deliberate because they were going to use the remainder of the song at a very important point towards the end. He wasn't fucking kidding.
    I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down.'- Bob Newhart

Anyone read the book? differences?

Quote Originally Posted by Hobo Chang Ba View Post
    Anyone read the book? differences?
    My wife read it. She was practically jumping out of her skin wanting to spoil it last night :-). She said the main difference in the book is that it went into a lot more detail. I am not sure how I felt about the final episode. I thought the whole process of her taking the mother's medicine did not make a lot of sense, but maybe I was missing something.

Quote Originally Posted by SteveSly View Post
    My wife read it. She was practically jumping out of her skin wanting to spoil it last night :-). She said the main difference in the book is that it went into a lot more detail. I am not sure how I felt about the final episode. I thought the whole process of her taking the mother's medicine did not make a lot of sense, but maybe I was missing something.
    I guess a spoiler warning would be appropriate, just in case:

I read that as she 1) wanted to take attention away from Amma (in an effort to save her from being filled with poison) and 2) as a way to prove that her mother poisoned her sister or at least was capable of doing it. (Take the 'medicine', get Richard to find her in that state, get her blood tested and have the tox screen show god only knows what in her system.)

Exactly what I thought, Hobo. I had the same reaction as Steve, initially, but we had a little "finale party" and that was where our little discussion led.

Incidentally, my girlfriend had the book laying on her coffee table (she didn't want to read it until the show was over), and one of our friends picked it up and read the last few pages. There is clear exposition about what was happening during that credits scene, and much more detail about the actual killings. I don't really understand why the show didn't devote more time to that.

RE: Carrie Coon. She's perfectly creepy in The Sinner. I wouldn't trust that character to watch over my pet rock.
    Carry On My Blood-Ejaculating Son - JKL2000

Better Call Saul has been very, very good!

I will be starting The Sinner sometime soon.
    "Who would have thought a whale would be so heavy?" - Moe Sizlak

Quote Originally Posted by Scott Bails View Post
    Exactly what I thought, Hobo. I had the same reaction as Steve, initially, but we had a little "finale party" and that was where our little discussion led.

Incidentally, my girlfriend had the book laying on her coffee table (she didn't want to read it until the show was over), and one of our friends picked it up and read the last few pages. There is clear exposition about what was happening during that credits scene, and much more detail about the actual killings. I don't really understand why the show didn't devote more time to that.
    Boo. That's a shame. And clearly they spent the time to film those snippets (and everything presented to them in the book) so this must have been a conscious decision on the producers/writers part. I'd be interested to see/read an interview with their thoughts behind it.

Carrie Coon's in The Sinner? Okay, so I guess I'm gonna have to start splitting my time between it and Dexter.
    “From thirty feet away she looked like a lot of class. From ten feet away she looked like something made up to be seen from thirty feet away.” – Philip Marlowe

Quote Originally Posted by Hal... View Post
    Carrie Coon's in The Sinner? Okay, so I guess I'm gonna have to start splitting my time between it and Dexter.
    And she sure ain't the cop she was in Fargo!

People here locally (incl. the late Kay & I) raved about her when she was on stage locally, and local media (absolutely right for a change) wrote more than once that it would be a crime if she didn't get more exposure.
    "My choice early in life was either to be a piano player in a whorehouse or a politician, and to tell the truth, there's hardly any difference"

President Harry S. Truman

Quote Originally Posted by progeezer View Post
    And she sure ain't the cop she was in Fargo!

People here locally (incl. the late Kay & I) raved about her when she was on stage locally, and local media (absolutely right for a change) wrote more than once that it would be a crime if she didn't get more exposure.
    I agree, she is an outstanding actress. Loved her in The Leftovers as well.

Quote Originally Posted by progeezer View Post
    ...local media (absolutely right for a change) wrote more than once that it would be a crime if she didn't get more exposure.
    Yes, I would love to see Carrie Coon exposed more.

Quote Originally Posted by Progatron View Post
    I agree, she is an outstanding actress. Loved her in The Leftovers as well.
    She was also good in Gone Girl. I saw her in The Post but, man, she was practically nonexistent. She must have ended up on the cutting room floor.
    “From thirty feet away she looked like a lot of class. From ten feet away she looked like something made up to be seen from thirty feet away.” – Philip Marlowe

Frakking bombshell in The Sinner last night. I felt as if I should have seen that coming but totally missed this a coming.

I can't say much more without giving things away but damn that was pretty heavy.

Quote Originally Posted by TheLoony View Post
    Frakking bombshell in The Sinner last night. I felt as if I should have seen that coming but totally missed this a coming.

I can't say much more without giving things away but damn that was pretty heavy.
    Yeah...I may have to stay away from here . I'm probably gonna start this tonight.
    "Who would have thought a whale would be so heavy?" - Moe Sizlak

Quote Originally Posted by Hal... View Post
    Yes, I would love to see Carrie Coon exposed more.
    Did you watch The Leftovers? You'll get your wish.

Just realized that the police chief in Sharp Objects was in one of my favourite slasher films in the early 80s, Happy Birthday To Me (and speaking of sharp objects, he just so happens to be the one who was killed by having the shish kebab skewer rammed down his throat.)

Started Ozark season 2 last night.

Waaaay over the top but still really fun!
    no tunes, no dynamics, no nosebone

Saul has his money stored in a bowling ball bag. That, to me, is funny. Life stories and all that that matters none.

I really dig how they are telling Jimmy's/Saul's story after Breaking Bad. I'm sure they will pay it off in a great way.

The Purge has started.

Make sure to keep safe for the next 12 hours.

Don't know what to expect from this show but once the masks come out I get totally creeped out.

I'm here for the moosic NogbadTheBad's Avatar
    Finally watched the last episode of Sharp Objects, I had to check online to make sure what I thought was going on really was. Very good show though I was willing her to punch her mother out rather than take the poison.
    Ian

Host of the Post-Avant Jazzcore Happy Hour on progrock.com
    https://podcasts.progrock.com/post-a...re-happy-hour/

Gordon Haskell - "You've got to keep the groove in your head and play a load of bollocks instead"
    I blame Wynton, what was the question?
    There are only 10 types of people in the World, those who understand binary and those that don't.