Page 85 of 330 FirstFirst ... 357581828384858687888995135185 ... LastLast
Results 2,101 to 2,125 of 8227

Thread: Current fav US TV series

Quote Originally Posted by Progatron View Post
    ^^^ Beautifully written review! Liking this show a lot.
    Agree, great review, thanks for posting. I have no clue where they are going with this either, but it is certainly a fun ride.

I'm late to the party, but I'm halfway through Hulu's 11.22.63 w/James Franco, Chris Cooper & Sarah Gadon (Grace in Alias Grace) and really loving it. While I've never been a horror fan, I know that Stephen King is not a one trick pony (see Stand By Me), but this show has me definitely lining up now to watch the upcoming King horror series Castle Rock, also on Hulu.
    "My choice early in life was either to be a piano player in a whorehouse or a politician, and to tell the truth, there's hardly any difference"

President Harry S. Truman

Sharp Objects evokes the deep South with the characters' Southern accents and antebellum architecture of Camille's childhood home. However, it's Missouri, not Georgia! Do they really have that drawl in Missou?

The show seems more about character study than plot advancement. I find it kind of boring. The flashbacks are annoying, too. The younger Camille (not the rollerskating child version!) seems indistinguishable from the present day Camille so identifying the flashbacks is problematic.

All that said, I'm probably going to watch the whole thing because my wife is into it.

Quote Originally Posted by progeezer View Post
    I'm late to the party, but I'm halfway through Hulu's 11.22.63 w/James Franco, Chris Cooper & Sarah Gadon (Grace in Alias Grace) and really loving it. While I've never been a horror fan, I know that Stephen King is not a one trick pony (see Stand By Me), but this show has me definitely lining up now to watch the upcoming King horror series Castle Rock, also on Hulu.
    I think I might have reviewed it long ago. I liked it, too, but you do know it's a mini-series, right? I didn't and felt kinda gypped when I discovered it was.

Quote Originally Posted by Guitarplyrjvb View Post
    However, it's Missouri, not Georgia! Do they really have that drawl in Missou?
    My great uncle & his kids live in MO and they all have a southern accent, altho it's more subtle than people from the regular South. I was just down in TN last month and their accent is heavy. I've heard there's a distinction based on where you're from but I can't hear it. I can't tell the difference between someone from the Carolinas, Kentucky, Tennessee, Texas, or the deep South.
    “From thirty feet away she looked like a lot of class. From ten feet away she looked like something made up to be seen from thirty feet away.” – Philip Marlowe

Quote Originally Posted by Guitarplyrjvb View Post
    Sharp Objects evokes the deep South with the characters' Southern accents and antebellum architecture of Camille's childhood home. However, it's Missouri, not Georgia! Do they really have that drawl in Missou?

The show seems more about character study than plot advancement. I find it kind of boring. The flashbacks are annoying, too. The younger Camille (not the rollerskating child version!) seems indistinguishable from the present day Camille so identifying the flashbacks is problematic.

All that said, I'm probably going to watch the whole thing because my wife is into it.
    I will admit it does get rather confusing with the flashbacks, but I am hoping it all comes together in the end.

I so cannot wait for the return of Better Call Saul three days before my 50th birthday bash. I do think it's time for a boatload of characters to die in horrific fashion as they were never on Breaking Bad.

Gonna be a helluva week. Death and "birth" week in LV.
    Carry On My Blood-Ejaculating Son - JKL2000

They just added Season 3 to Netflix Canada so I'm gonna dive into that!
    "Corn Flakes pissed in. You ranted. Mission accomplished. Thread closed."

-Cozy 3:16-

Quote Originally Posted by TheLoony View Post
    I so cannot wait for the return of Better Call Saul three days before my 50th birthday bash. I do think it's time for a boatload of characters to die in horrific fashion as they were never on Breaking Bad.

Gonna be a helluva week. Death and "birth" week in LV.
    Looking forward to this season as well.

If one of our Canuckistan brethren could pick this up for me, I'd appreciate it

http://www.vulture.com/article/sharp...eo-system.html
    I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down.'- Bob Newhart

Season 6 of Netflix "Orange Is.....Black" dropped today, and after watching ep.1, the darkness has been (thanks Emeril) kicked up 2 or 3 notches. I love this show, and if you think it ran out of shit to explore in the last 2 seasons, you may want to come back & check it out. The always out-there Lori Petty has joined the cast playing to her reputation.
    "My choice early in life was either to be a piano player in a whorehouse or a politician, and to tell the truth, there's hardly any difference"

President Harry S. Truman

Quote Originally Posted by Jerjo View Post
    If one of our Canuckistan brethren could pick this up for me, I'd appreciate it

http://www.vulture.com/article/sharp...eo-system.html
    I think Betsy DeVos has a dozen of 'em.
    Music isn't about chops, or even about talent - it's about sound and the way that sound communicates to people. Mike Keneally

Quote Originally Posted by progeezer View Post
    Season 6 of Netflix "Orange Is.....Black" dropped today, and after watching ep.1, the darkness has been (thanks Emeril) kicked up 2 or 3 notches. I love this show, and if you think it ran out of shit to explore in the last 2 seasons, you may want to come back & check it out. The always out-there Lori Petty has joined the cast playing to her reputation.
    I only made it half way through season 4. I thought the first season was excellent, and basically followed the real life story. After that it started going downhill for me. They seemed to be putting too many scenes just for shock value to me. I don't know......maybe I will come back to it.

Quote Originally Posted by SteveSly View Post
    I only made it half way through season 4. I thought the first season was excellent, and basically followed the real life story. After that it started going downhill for me. They seemed to be putting too many scenes just for shock value to me. I don't know......maybe I will come back to it.
    I agree. I got to about halfway through the prison riot then gave up... How long was she incarcerated for anyway? Seems the show is running much longer than her sentence.

We got caught up to the 3rd episode of Sharp Objects last night. It's getting better every episode, and nothing has really even happened yet.

There's a lot of subtlety, a lot to pay attention to. For example, during the murder victim's church memorial, did anyone catch the sign behind the mother when she was speaking? During the first cut, it read, "HURT." For every cut after, it read "HOPE." At one point, they show Amy Adams' character's car door, where she apparently scratched the word "SCARED." In a later scene, it read "SACRED." I probably missed other things, but I started watching it closer after seeing those things.
    Music isn't about chops, or even about talent - it's about sound and the way that sound communicates to people. Mike Keneally

Quote Originally Posted by Yves View Post
    I agree. I got to about halfway through the prison riot then gave up... How long was she incarcerated for anyway? Seems the show is running much longer than her sentence.
    She was only in for a little over a year. The show is all fiction now. I made it a few shows into the riot season as well, and that was as far as I got.

Quote Originally Posted by Scott Bails View Post
    We got caught up to the 3rd episode of Sharp Objects last night. It's getting better every episode, and nothing has really even happened yet.

There's a lot of subtlety, a lot to pay attention to. For example, during the murder victim's church memorial, did anyone catch the sign behind the mother when she was speaking? During the first cut, it read, "HURT." For every cut after, it read "HOPE." At one point, they show Amy Adams' character's car door, where she apparently scratched the word "SCARED." In a later scene, it read "SACRED." I probably missed other things, but I started watching it closer after seeing those things.
    My went out and bought and read the book last week, so she knows what is going to happen. So far she has not spoiled it for me, but I think she is dying to do so :-)

I enjoyed the first season of Orange Is The New Black (or was it the first two seasons? I can't even remember now), but when another season came along, I couldn't get though the first episode. I just wanted to move on to other things, I think. The acting was good but it never held the appeal that Oz, for example, did.

Speaking of Oz, I'm currently enjoying sci-fi/espionage thriller Counterpart starring JK Simmons in dual roles. Really intriguing right from the start - JK is excellent, and also good to see Harry Lloyd (Viserys from Game Of Thrones) and Ulrich Thomsen (Kai Proctor from Banshee.)

Still excited every week for Sharp Objects, wish I could binge it! Better Call Saul season 4 and The Sinner season 2 coming this month! So much for the old days of nothing to watch in the summer!

Edit: Forgot, I also have Remember Me set to record the next three Fridays on PBS - a mini-series with Michael Palin in a dramatic role with Mark Addy (King Robert Baratheon from GoT) that I'm very excited to watch!
    Interviewer of reprobate ne'er-do-well musicians of the long-haired rock n' roll persuasion at: www.velvetthunder.co.uk and former scribe at Classic Rock Society. Only vaguely aware of anything other than music.

*** Join me in the Garden of Delights for 3 hours of tune-spinning... every Saturday at 5pm EST on Deep Nuggets radio! www.deepnuggets.com ***

Edit: Forgot, I also have Remember Me set to record the next three Fridays on PBS - a mini-series with Michael Palin in a dramatic role with Mark Addy (King Robert Baratheon from GoT) that I'm very excited to watch!
    Fucking thing was "Partial recording", 37 mins. - So typical. So I've ordered the DVD from Amazon. Didn't want to pay 26 bucks but I want to see this quite badly - and now I get all 240 mins of it at once, and it arrives tomorrow!
    Interviewer of reprobate ne'er-do-well musicians of the long-haired rock n' roll persuasion at: www.velvetthunder.co.uk and former scribe at Classic Rock Society. Only vaguely aware of anything other than music.

*** Join me in the Garden of Delights for 3 hours of tune-spinning... every Saturday at 5pm EST on Deep Nuggets radio! www.deepnuggets.com ***

I looked up Remember Me. It's piqued my curiosity.

It was originally shown on the BBC in November of 2014 but didn't debut on PBS until summer 2017. I noticed a similar thing with The Tunnel.

Does anyone know why it takes so long for PBS to get these English shows? From what I understand, the Brits are watching popular US shows almost simultaneously.

On a side note, anyone ever notice the US exports crap TV shows (with a few exceptions) whereas the Brits export shows like Downton Abbey, Prime Suspect, Line of Duty, Yes Minister, and Monty Python?

On a side side note, anyone ever watch Yes, Minister? It's one of the funniest shows to ever come out of Britain.

Two boys have been found rubbing linseed oil into the school cormorant.
    "Oh, and Jenkins, apparently your mother died this morning."
    “From thirty feet away she looked like a lot of class. From ten feet away she looked like something made up to be seen from thirty feet away.” – Philip Marlowe

Quote Originally Posted by Hal... View Post
    On a side side note, anyone ever watch Yes, Minister? It's one of the funniest shows to ever come out of Britain.
    Yes, Minister is great! A little tighter in the writing and performances than, say, Are You Being Served? or some of the other more famous series of the day.

"Oh, and Jenkins, apparently your mother died this morning."
    Last night I watched a terrific program with the Pythons from 2013 where they are gathered round, discussing the writing and making of The Meaning Of Life. Cleese, Palin and the two Terrys are together, with Eric Idle joining them on CCTV. Lots of laughs and reminiscing, as well as a few more serious discussions. Very interesting stuff from very interesting men IMO. If you haven't seen it, check it out - it's called The Meaning Of Monty Python. Must have been shortly before Terry Jones lost his speech to his illness, as he is still talking, but quieter than he once was. So sad.

Anybody watching Final Space on Netflix? Animated sci-fi show that combines comedy with an actual sci-fi story, though a little campy. Really love the animation too.

HBO is starting to run teaser trailers for the second season of The Deuce. Fuck yeah, I'm ready!
    I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down.'- Bob Newhart

Banned

Last night I watched a terrific program with the Pythons from 2013 where they are gathered round, discussing the writing and making of The Meaning Of Life. Cleese, Palin and the two Terrys are together, with Eric Idle joining them on CCTV. Lots of laughs and reminiscing, as well as a few more serious discussions. Very interesting stuff from very interesting men IMO. If you haven't seen it, check it out - it's called The Meaning Of Monty Python. Must have been shortly before Terry Jones lost his speech to his illness, as he is still talking, but quieter than he once was. So sad.
    Thanks, I'll look it up.

BTW just saw Cleese on his current tour interviewed by his lovely daughter. They showed Holy Grail followed by about an hour and a half of banter and questions. A good time was had by all and John was in good form. Not as good as seeing John and Eric on the last fund raiser he held to recoup the $5 million he had to pay his ex following his divorce but good. He's still bitching about the expense of that divorce...

BTW Life of Brian is easily the best Python movie and surpasses Grail on every level.

I'm about 5 episodes in to Altered Carbon. Very cool show.

I'm here for the moosic NogbadTheBad's Avatar
    I'm about 5 episodes in to Altered Carbon. Very cool show.
    I'm currently rewatching it, love it.
    Ian

Host of the Post-Avant Jazzcore Happy Hour on progrock.com
    https://podcasts.progrock.com/post-a...re-happy-hour/

Gordon Haskell - "You've got to keep the groove in your head and play a load of bollocks instead"
    I blame Wynton, what was the question?
    There are only 10 types of people in the World, those who understand binary and those that don't.