Page 81 of 330 FirstFirst ... 317177787980818283848591131181 ... LastLast
Results 2,001 to 2,025 of 8227

Thread: Current fav US TV series

Quote Originally Posted by headcrash View Post
    You mean he challenges opposing attorneys to fight him in the corridor outside the courtroom?
    he just "physically" looks like him...though I think he might. I'm about 6 episodes in and he's doing a bang up job so far...especially since, imo, his client is guilty. (no spoilers please...)
    "Corn Flakes pissed in. You ranted. Mission accomplished. Thread closed."

-Cozy 3:16-

Don't let your meatloaf! Paulie's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Klonk View Post
    Funny to see this as I just started to watch Deadwood last night. I've always heard good things and watching that Talking Dead the other night got me to check it out.

By the way, I really enjoyed this half season of Fear. Good stuff.
    Speaking of Deadwood and FtWD, watch for The Gunslinger from Fear on Deadwood. IIRC, I think he plays a double role on that show too. I liked Fear as well, and am personally surprised you haven't jumped into Deadwood until now! Enjoy it! Fkn great shit!
    "That gum you like is going to come back in style."

Quote Originally Posted by Klonk View Post
    Funny to see this as I just started to watch Deadwood last night. I've always heard good things and watching that Talking Dead the other night got me to check it out.

By the way, I really enjoyed this half season of Fear. Good stuff.
    My guess is you will like it. IMO it is probably the greatest western series ever on TV and the casting was just fantastic for it. Ian McShane has the role of his lifetime. From the "Fear" cast, both Kim Dickens and Garret Dillahunt are main characters. In fact if I remember correctly Dillahunt plays two different characters in different seasons.

Regarding "Fear" I agree, I thought it was a really strong first half. I actually think "Fear" has started to eclipse the original show from writing quality perspective.

Quote Originally Posted by headcrash View Post
    I'd be so into this. The Deadwood box set is just crammed full of interesting extras that make the series that much more interesting. The way they pulled the plug on this series was frustrating so it would be great to see how David Milch wraps it all up, assuming he's involved in the new project.
    I would assume he would be involved, but have not seen anything specifically saying that.

Quote Originally Posted by SteveSly View Post
    I would assume he would be involved, but have not seen anything specifically saying that.
    This is from a little over a year ago. It would seem Milch is the man.

https://tvline.com/2017/04/18/deadwo...shane-returns/
    Currently attempting to catch up on all of the chaos in the Market Square.

Quote Originally Posted by Paulie View Post
    Speaking of Deadwood and FtWD, watch for The Gunslinger from Fear on Deadwood. IIRC, I think he plays a double role on that show too. I liked Fear as well, and am personally surprised you haven't jumped into Deadwood until now! Enjoy it! Fkn great shit!
    Yeah he was in the first episode. Picked him out right away. I've always wanted to watch this. Everyb ody has told me I'd love it. Hard to watch much these days, busy with dog Loved the first episode...I know this is up my alley. A binging I will go...
    "Who would have thought a whale would be so heavy?" - Moe Sizlak

Quote Originally Posted by SteveSly View Post
    My guess is you will like it. IMO it is probably the greatest western series ever on TV and the casting was just fantastic for it. Ian McShane has the role of his lifetime. From the "Fear" cast, both Kim Dickens and Garret Dillahunt are main characters. In fact if I remember correctly Dillahunt plays two different characters in different seasons.

Regarding "Fear" I agree, I thought it was a really strong first half. I actually think "Fear" has started to eclipse the original show from writing quality perspective.
    I watched the first episode and already know I will like it. I'm a big fan of Timothy Olyphant. Justified may be my favorite TV show ever. Up there with The Wire and Breaking Bad.
    "Who would have thought a whale would be so heavy?" - Moe Sizlak

Just watched the first season of The Good Place. Its a comedy with Ted Danson and Kristen Bell. The premise, Bell is sent to "the Good Place" after death by mistake. She was not a nice person while alive and tries to hide her flaws to avoid the bad place. Both the wife and I enjoyed it , well written ,funny without being crude. We will seek out season 2.

Anyone else have a TiVo?

I noticed that a lot of shows I recorded off the networks have a "skip" label next to them. I'd never seen that before. I just discovered that when you get to a commercial, if you press the D button, TiVo takes you to the start of the show, skipping the commercials instantly!
    “From thirty feet away she looked like a lot of class. From ten feet away she looked like something made up to be seen from thirty feet away.” – Philip Marlowe

^ Commercials are the bane of streaming.

Quote Originally Posted by moecurlythanu View Post
    ^ Commercials are the bane of streaming.
    I got Hulu on a promo w/2 free mos. & then $7.99/mo so I could watch Handmaid's Tale. After I watched the first episode w/commercials I decided that an additional $4.00/mo for commercial-free was worth it. That just made it the same price as my Netflix.

I also really enjoyed Hulu's The Path, but found the last episode a huge disappointment.
    "My choice early in life was either to be a piano player in a whorehouse or a politician, and to tell the truth, there's hardly any difference"

President Harry S. Truman

We're two episodes in to Killing Eve, and I'm loving it. Sandra Oh is fantastic in it. I wasn't expecting the subtle humor. Thanks to all who recommended it.
    Music isn't about chops, or even about talent - it's about sound and the way that sound communicates to people. Mike Keneally

Quote Originally Posted by Hal... View Post
    Anyone else have a TiVo?

I noticed that a lot of shows I recorded off the networks have a "skip" label next to them. I'd never seen that before. I just discovered that when you get to a commercial, if you press the D button, TiVo takes you to the start of the show, skipping the commercials instantly!
    LOVE that Skip Button! BAM! I've been a Tivo fan ever since I decided to snip cable and go OtA with a digital antenna back in 2009. OtA provides PRISTINE HD, but I desired a guide solution and a DVR. I tried El Gato EyeTV through my Mac Mini for a while, but the DVR was wonky and rarely reliable. After some extensive research, I ended up with a Tivo Roamio and have not looked back.

Recently, I was forced to jump back into the cable arena when I moved from Boston to Central MA where the signals were not reaching me with my standard HD rig. I was happy to discover that my local cable providers (Fios & Spectrum) both supported the Tivo platform (just a cable-card needed). I round out the system with inexpensive Tivo Mini's for my other TVs.

The only minor quibble is that On-Demand content is unavailable, however, once I downloaded all my favorite channel apps onto my Fire TV, viola! My very own on-demand service.

LOVE that Skip Button! BAM!
    So, when did it start? I know it was not available earlier this year.*

*Googling, just now, I see it's been available for at least a couple years. Is that right? I have a Premiere, not a Roamio or Bolt, so maybe it was just added this year for Premieres? All I know is, no more hitting the 30 second advance button a few times and hoping I land at the end of a commercial break. Skip mode is awesome!

And, yeah, back when I had cable, I had a cable card too, which is a lot cheaper than renting a converter box or DVR from the cable company. Speaking of which, [rant] how the fuck do cable companies charge $X a month indefinitely for a DVR or internet modem when you can buy one that will pay for itself in less than a year?!?! It's no wonder they keep losing customers. I can see cable companies becoming extinct if they don't wise up and change with the times and it couldn't come soon enough! I fucking hate cable companies!!! If I had the capital, I'd start a cable company and offer ŕ la carte programming just to put U-Verse, Xfinity, and Spectrum out of business!!! Motherfuckers. [/rant]

Sorry. lol

TiVos certainly aren't perfect but I'm more than satisfied with mine.
    “From thirty feet away she looked like a lot of class. From ten feet away she looked like something made up to be seen from thirty feet away.” – Philip Marlowe

Quote Originally Posted by Scott Bails View Post
    We're two episodes in to Killing Eve, and I'm loving it. Sandra Oh is fantastic in it.
    I used to watch Gray's Anatomy when I was married and didn't think much of her. Then I discovered she was in a movie called Dancing at the Blue Iguana in which she played a stripper and had a "memorable dance scene". The movie is pretty bad (think Showgirls or Striptease) but I've been kinda fascinated with Sandra Oh ever since. Saw her in a movie called Catfight. She and Anne Heche star as two former college friends who become bitter enemies. It's worth a look as there is quite a bit of dark humor in it, especially once the two women start actually fighting. Oh & Heche are both really good in it.

And, yeah, back when I had cable, I had a cable card too, which is a lot cheaper than renting a converter box or DVR from the cable company. Speaking of which, [rant] how the fuck do cable companies charge $X a month indefinitely for a DVR or internet modem when you can buy one that will pay for itself in less than a year?!?! It's no wonder they keep losing customers. I can see cable companies becoming extinct if they don't wise up and change with the times and it couldn't come soon enough! I fucking hate cable companies!!! If I had the capital, I'd start a cable company and offer ŕ la carte programming just to put U-Verse, Xfinity, and Spectrum out of business!!! Motherfuckers. [/rant]
    Man, are you preaching to the choir. Ever since I cut the cord, they've called me up offering all kind of sweetheart a la carte deals. After I turned down the most recent offer, the lady asked me why. Bad move. I told her "I hate your fucking company" and went from there. I think she was a bit taken aback. When the call started, she said that it would be recorded. I hope it made it to the higher ups.

Man, are you preaching to the choir. Ever since I cut the cord, they've called me up offering all kind of sweetheart a la carte deals. After I turned down the most recent offer, the lady asked me why. Bad move. I told her "I hate your fucking company" and went from there. I think she was a bit taken aback. When the call started, she said that it would be recorded. I hope it made it to the higher ups.
    Good for you! I hope it makes it to the higher ups, too!

So, when did it start? I know it was not available earlier this year.*

*Googling, just now, I see it's been available for at least a couple years. Is that right? I have a Premiere, not a Roamio or Bolt, so maybe it was just added this year for Premieres? All I know is, no more hitting the 30 second advance button a few times and hoping I land at the end of a commercial break. Skip mode is awesome!

Sorry. lol

TiVos certainly aren't perfect but I'm more than satisfied with mine.
    I seem to think the Skip feature is a couple years old (my Roamio automatically updates).

Yep. Cable companies fkn blow. I just switched from Fios to Spectrum because Fios was charging me $179.89 a month for a partial basic cable package (ie; they gave me HGTV, but not DIY. Discovery ID, but no Discovery) and NO premium channels! Other than the cable-card, I leased ZERO equipment (bought my own far superior gear). Thievery.

I'm with Spectrum now and saving $70 a month...for now. Let's see what shakes down after the 2 year "introductory" period expires. Fuck off. Spectrum had a program called Select where you could chose 10 channels in addition to all the locals for something like $29 a month. I was all over that shit as I might watch maybe 5 channels max? As a matter of fact, I was actually having a hard time choosing 10! Went to submit the order and was instructed that that package was not available in my area.

Also, beware of internet speed price gouging. I was paying thru the nose for my *superfast* Gigabit connection thru Fios. I settled for the cheaper 100MPS through Spectrum and it kicks Fios' ass. So my theory is it's not your headroom, it's your gear. With that said, I may try the 60MPS and see if that holds up.

Spectrum had a program called Select where you could chose 10 channels in addition to all the locals for something like $29 a month. I was all over that shit as I might watch maybe 5 channels max? As a matter of fact, I was actually having a hard time choosing 10! Went to submit the order and was instructed that that package was not available in my area.
    That's bullshit. That's the deal they're offering former subscribers like me. (Though it's $22/month.) I told my parents about it, because they're fed up with getting raped, but they were told the offer is only eligible to former subscribers who have cut their Spectrum cable service, and been a former customer for at least one month.

I seem to think the Skip feature is a couple years old (my Roamio automatically updates).
    My Premiere automatically updates, as well. But I really can't recall seeing the function until a couple months ago. Even then, I didn't know what it was until I started watching some of those shows the other day.

I'm with Spectrum now and saving $70 a month...for now.
    "For now" is right.

With that said, I may try the 60MPS and see if that holds up.
    Okay, so when I lived in Columbus I could switch between 3 different cable companies (TimeWarner, WOW, and Insight) to keep costs at the "introductory price". TW bought out Insight and WOW (who supposedly has one of the best customer service ratings for cable companies) started acting like TW ("we don't match competitor's prices"). To further keeps costs down, I had TW's introductory internet speed for $15/mo. When TW changed to Spectrum, I could still get that intro speed but when I moved to a different city, that was no longer an option. They raised my rate to $30/mo but my speed also went up to 15mbps. They raised my rate again to $35/mo but now my speed was at 20mbps. The last time they raised my rate, it went up another $10 but at the same speed. When I called to complain, the woman told me that that was $10 less than what I should be paying. The thing is, $55/mo gets you 60mbps. So, you'd think that even tho I'm spending $10 less, I should still be getting in the neighborhood of 30-40mbps but that's not the case. Now what's really fucked up is that 60mbps is way more than you need to stream an HD show in 1080p (I read somewhere that 10mb is all you need)* but that's the slowest speed they offer! There are a lot of people who can't afford $55/mo, especially if all they use the internet for is checking email and going to Facebook or if there's only 1-2 people in the household. I think what pisses me off the most is that their advertised speed is "up to" 60mpbs. So, you may be paying for 60 but only getting 40 or 50, or even less when all the neighbors' kids get out of school.

* To give you an idea of what 20mbps is capable of, I can D/L a movie in 720p (which is the same definition as broadcast and cable TV stations) in 5-6 minutes.

I was so fed up with cable, I tried Playstation's Vue service. Not bad for $30/mo but the number of channels are limited, the DVR function is cloud based, and the interface is clunky as hell.

That's the deal they're offering former subscribers like me. (Though it's $22/month.)
    Is that an introductory price or what?

Another gripe of mine is the whole *HD* situation. High def digital transmissions have been federally mandated since 2009. So why would I pay more for *premium HD* packages. Fuck you! If anything, they should charge more for that shitty SD feed for the folks that haven’t joined the new millennium as that’s not the norm.

I loved having all those pristine channels over the air when I lived in Boston. Didn’t cost me a cent and almost all of the channels were multiplexed, meaning, the local NBC, ABC, CBS, FOX, PBS, etc broadcast multiple channels with excellent content. I could get back to that, but it would require an external antenna like the ones we had as kids and that’s just fugly.

Another gripe of mine is the whole *HD* situation. High def digital transmissions have been federally mandated since 2009. So why would I pay more for *premium HD* packages. Fuck you!
    IKR?

I loved having all those pristine channels over the air when I lived in Boston. Didn’t cost me a cent and almost all of the channels were multiplexed, meaning, the local NBC, ABC, CBS, FOX, PBS, etc broadcast multiple channels with excellent content. I could get back to that, but it would require an external antenna like the ones we had as kids and that’s just fugly.
    I have one in my attic that picks up channels 30+ miles away. There's a pole on the end of the house that I could attach it to and get even better reception but I procrastinate. As for the multiplexed channels (also called subchannels), I sometimes watch reruns of Johnny Carson. And everyday record old episodes of Barney Miller. There's a bunch of old shows on those subchannels (MeTV, Antenna TV): Soap, WKRP in Cincinnati, Hogans Heroes, Twilight Zone, Hitchcock Presents, Burns & Allen, Jack Benny, etc. Not that I watch them very often, but sometimes they're better than what's new.

Is that an introductory price or what?
    I'm not sure, I never examined it closely, as I had zero interest.

I'm not sure, I never examined it closely, as I had zero interest.
    I think I remember getting something in the mail about that last year, maybe. And now that I think about it, that was the intro price, which is why I tossed it into the trash.

That's another thing I hate about cable companies: they advertise an introductory price but typically won't publish the standard price.

With that said, I may try the 60MPS and see if that holds up.
    I thought that speed was their slowest also. But I was looking earlier and can't find any speed on their website slower than 100mbps. That's ridiculous! This is what I just found at Netflix's website:

Below are the internet download speed recommendations per stream for playing TV shows and movies through Netflix.
    0.5 Megabits per second - Required broadband connection speed
    1.5 Megabits per second - Recommended broadband connection speed
    3.0 Megabits per second - Recommended for SD quality
    5.0 Megabits per second - Recommended for HD quality [emphasis added]
    25 Megabits per second - Recommended for Ultra HD quality [for 4K TVs]

I don't know but I'm betting that HD quality is for 720p which is the same as broadcast and cable TV (720p or 1080i, to be accurate; btw, you can actually find a signal's resolution on your TiVo). 1080p, which is the same as BluRay, is roughly double the resolution, so then you'd need 10mbps to stream (altho, a little more would be better in case of congestion). So, if you wanted to stream on two TVs in 1080p each, you'd need approximately 25mbps. So, basically ISPs are just fucking us by offering faster speeds at higher rates.

Here's another evil being perpetrated by cable companies. Chattanooga had crap internet so they created their own internet utility with speeds of 1000mpbs (i.e. 1 gigabit/second; and this was two years ago!). A nearby town, who didn't have cable access and who couldn't use satellite because of the topography, tried to get Chattanooga to extend their service. A new state law prevented it. And this is going on around the country. Cable & telecom companies' lawyers are writing state laws to restrict the spread of super fast and affordable internet service: Cable and telecom firms score a huge win in their war to kill municipal broadband. Competition and the free market is just fine as long as it only benefits business.

I'm in a strange position. Because we live in a very rural area, the original providers of electricity and phone lines were co-ops. So my Internet/cable provider is a cooperative that has its HQ about six blocks from my house. They serve roughly four counties. The cable is OK in terms of channel selection. We'll get an overhaul this summer when everyone goes to a fiber optic connection and we get new boxes/DVRs with a better interface (the old one is pretty antiquated). But even now, without the fiber optic, the speed is good. I just tested my speed on my laptop. It read:

22.2 Mbps download/3.69 Mbps upload

Even a year ago we'd have some problem streaming Netflix and Amazon but they've opened the tap a bit wider. I honestly don't know if my bundle is a competitive price compared to what you city folk see. But because it's a co-op I see the statements and go to the annual meeting. They're not out to rack up a big profit margin. Some folks around here go with Dish but those people see issues that I don't, like losing everything in a high wind or a blizzard. And we get those a LOT.
    I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down.'- Bob Newhart