Thread: Current fav US TV series

My Streams over the last 6 months:
    Stranger Things (S2, Netflix)
    Electric Dreams (Amazon)
    The Runaways (Hulu)
    The End of the Fucking World (Netflix)
    Better Call Saul (S3, Netflix)
    Everything Sucks! (Netflix) [RIP]

binged Everything Sucks! over the weekend on Netflix. Somewhat Dejavu with Freaks and Geeks about 10 years ago, watching the entire Series knowing it was a 1-and-done. I wasn't exactly a 90's kid (b. '76), but remember that time well. Hoping to see the cast do other things soon.

also I'm highly anticipating now Y: The Last Man on FX (and hopefully Netflix at some point) as the show has been Greenlit. With the success of Brian K Vaughan's "The Runaways" hopefully this will work as well
    http://www.indiewire.com/2018/04/y-t...as-1201953947/

Been meaning to checkout the Lost in Space reboot, which unlike Everything Sucks!, did get renewed by Netflix for a 2nd season.

New Network Shows this Fall:
    Rel: The friend in Get Out with his father played by Sinbad
    I Feel Bad: Having Johnny Pemperton in the cast (Bo from Superstore) is my optimism for this show
    The Rookie: Nathan Fillion cop-in-training show
    The Neighborhood: Cedric the Entertainer in a show going for a bit of the Black-ish angle
    The Cool Kids: David Allen Grier trying his Estelle Getty age-jump at a Seniors home with Martin Mull
    The Kids Are Alright: A Mary McCormick show that looks like Wonder Years-in-the-70's I'm not sure about. Although with Roseanne getting pulled, I wonder if this show may stand out more than it would have on Tuesday nights.

A Million Little Things: Has James Roday, Ron Livingston and Romany Malco, unfortunately looks way too serious and having next to no comedy like This is Us. Looks way too disappointing given the cast and tone. Maybe they'll try and reinvent it mid-season and add some humor.
    Last edited by mnprogger; 05-30-2018 at 08:03 PM.

I'm watching The Vietnam War, as being aired by Belgium national tv the last couple of weeks.
    Impressive and very informative.
    But I was also quite surprised to hear a very short piece of Ravine from The Lamb Lies Down On Broadway in one of the episodes.
    Very good music over all b.t.w. (for an overview: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Vi...ar_(TV_series))
    I guess this was posted somewhere over here before, but couldn't find it.

Just binged the 4-part documentary "Evil Genius". I don't know why I am so fascinated with these types of shows , but I am. Next one will be Wild Wild Country. Meanwhile, tried getting into Lost In Space but after 3 episodes I find it just a little bit too much for young adults. Not sure I'll stick with it. I'm also watching the 5th season of Arrested Development because I'm a completist. Nothing will top those original first 3 seasons!
    "Corn Flakes pissed in. You ranted. Mission accomplished. Thread closed."

-Cozy 3:16-

Wild Wild Country was very good and I have Evil Genius on my "to watch" list.

Interesting personal sidebar on WW Country:

In the early 70s I had a friend who my then-wife introduced to a friend of hers. They connected and were married 2 years later. A few years after that, they called us and said they were leaving WI for Oregon and wanted to say goodbye and tell us all about their newly acquired love & devotion for Bagwhan Sree Rajneesh. At the time we thought "holy shit, they've lost it"! That's the last time I saw them until episode 3 of this series!!

It was really f*****g eerie! I found myself preoccupied with looking for them throughout the series from that point on, but fortunately either they weren't shown in the crowds again or I just didn't notice them after ep. 3.
    "My choice early in life was either to be a piano player in a whorehouse or a politician, and to tell the truth, there's hardly any difference"

President Harry S. Truman

I need to watch Evil Genius. I love that stuff.
    Music isn't about chops, or even about talent - it's about sound and the way that sound communicates to people. Mike Keneally

Quote Originally Posted by progeezer View Post
    Wild Wild Country was very good and I have Evil Genius on my "to watch" list.

Interesting personal sidebar on WW Country:

In the early 70s I had a friend who my then-wife introduced to a friend of hers. They connected and were married 2 years later. A few years after that, they called us and said they were leaving WI for Oregon and wanted to say goodbye and tell us all about their newly acquired love & devotion for Bagwhan Sree Rajneesh. At the time we thought "holy shit, they've lost it"! That's the last time I saw them until episode 3 of this series!!

It was really f*****g eerie! I found myself preoccupied with looking for them throughout the series from that point on, but fortunately either they weren't shown in the crowds again or I just didn't notice them after ep. 3.
    Who should I be looking for??

Is anyone watching Patrick Melrose? I don't have Showtime but I'm hearing very good things about this mini-series.
    I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down.'- Bob Newhart

Quote Originally Posted by Yves View Post
    Who should I be looking for??
    They look like all the other Rajneeshies in the film, wearing the same red stuff. I knew going in that they would quite possibly be in the film, so I started looking for them right away anytime there were crowd scenes.

There's no way to pick them out if you don't know specifically what they look like. They're just 2 of the hundreds of people jumping around.
    "My choice early in life was either to be a piano player in a whorehouse or a politician, and to tell the truth, there's hardly any difference"

Just binged the 4-part documentary "Evil Genius". I don't know why I am so fascinated with these types of shows ,
    Probably because like me, you are fascinated with true stories...I watched all 4 parts too and my thoughts were that you couldn't write stuff like this...a true sub-culture living next door.
    Dave Sr.

I prefer Nature to Human Nature

Quote Originally Posted by progeezer View Post
    They look like all the other Rajneeshies in the film, wearing the same red stuff. I knew going in that they would quite possibly be in the film, so I started looking for them right away anytime there were crowd scenes.

There's no way to pick them out if you don't know specifically what they look like. They're just 2 of the hundreds of people jumping around.
    The closest I came living in a commune was with the Zendiks. They had some cultish ideas of Us vs. Them mentality (aka DeathKulture) and when I graduated college in '98, I ran across these hippies selling a magazine, so I decided to spend a weekend at the Farm (at that time it was in Vero Beach, FL).

Wulf Zendik wasn't as charasmatic as Osho, but he was one of the longest surviving communes since the '60s. Arol took over as the Alpha Female and it was pretty digusting to see her criticize a girl who did a boob drop while working in the Farm and berate her at one of the House Meetings making her cry. This made me want to leave immediately.

Anyways both founders are dead. Arol passed away recently and the commune already disbanded. Her daughter Fawn last I heard was selling the farm in West Virginia. Their music was crappy too, one of their CDs did get a review by Peter Thelen of Expose magazine.

One of the ex-Zendiks wrote a scathing expose of the cult and now has a book out. I would love to see a documentary on this.

Sex, Money, Mind Control: The Zendik FAQ
    https://emeraldimajia.livejournal.com/149140.html

MATING IN CAPTIVITY A Memoir
    by Helen Zuman
    https://www.kirkusreviews.com/book-r...ing-captivity/

I'm here for the moosic NogbadTheBad's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Jerjo View Post
    Is anyone watching Patrick Melrose? I don't have Showtime but I'm hearing very good things about this mini-series.
    You'd basically be watching it to see Bendydick Cummerbund do a solo performance as a drug addict. He's excellent in it but I'm not sure where its going.

I'm 3 episodes into Safe and man is this thing all over the place and confusing.
    Ian

Host of the Post-Avant Jazzcore Happy Hour on progrock.com
    https://podcasts.progrock.com/post-a...re-happy-hour/

Gordon Haskell - "You've got to keep the groove in your head and play a load of bollocks instead"
    I blame Wynton, what was the question?
    There are only 10 types of people in the World, those who understand binary and those that don't.

Quote Originally Posted by adap2it View Post
    Probably because like me, you are fascinated with true stories...I watched all 4 parts too and my thoughts were that you couldn't write stuff like this...a true sub-culture living next door.
    Exactly! The added body in the freezer subplot made it even weirder...

Quote Originally Posted by Jerjo View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by NogbadTheBad View Post
    You'd basically be watching it to see Bendydick Cummerbund do a solo performance as a drug addict. He's excellent in it but I'm not sure where its going.

I'm 3 episodes into Safe and man is this thing all over the place and confusing.
    I've really been enjoying Patrick Melrose. Only one episode left I think, but it's been very good, and I agree he is excellent.

Safe was great. And yes, confusing at first, but everything falls into place. Keep with it. (His accent was a bit of a stumbling block, but I got used to it.)
    Interviewer of reprobate ne'er-do-well musicians of the long-haired rock n' roll persuasion at: www.velvetthunder.co.uk and former scribe at Classic Rock Society. Only vaguely aware of anything other than music.

*** Join me in the Garden of Delights for 3 hours of tune-spinning... every Saturday at 5pm EST on Deep Nuggets radio! www.deepnuggets.com ***

Quote Originally Posted by Progatron View Post
    I've really been enjoying Patrick Melrose. Only one episode left I think, but it's been very good, and I agree he is excellent.

Safe was great. And yes, confusing at first, but everything falls into place. Keep with it. (His accent was a bit of a stumbling block, but I got used to it.)
    I completely agree on both of these.

"Safe" is my next series. I'll probably binge it next week when my girlfriend is out of town and I have full control of Netflix.

"Safe" is on my list, too, but only because I enjoy Harlan Coben's novels. I really don't know much about it.
    Music isn't about chops, or even about talent - it's about sound and the way that sound communicates to people. Mike Keneally

Something that has been bothering me for quite a while now: Has anyone else noticed how often TV series (even some of the best ones) are inserting loud, terrible and out of place music into the episodes? Sometimes even interspersing the dialogue scenes with it... which I hate even more because I already find it hard to hear dialogue in a lot of shows/movies now - it's mixed too low compared to the background noise/sound effects, etc.

I feel like it's something that has been getting worse over the last decade or so, and I suppose it isn't helped by the fact that it is never music I like, it's always some ghastly song that I immediately dislike, and sit there hoping it is going to end soon.
    Interviewer of reprobate ne'er-do-well musicians of the long-haired rock n' roll persuasion at: www.velvetthunder.co.uk and former scribe at Classic Rock Society. Only vaguely aware of anything other than music.

*** Join me in the Garden of Delights for 3 hours of tune-spinning... every Saturday at 5pm EST on Deep Nuggets radio! www.deepnuggets.com ***

Subterranean Tapir Hobo Chang Ba's Avatar
    Something that has been bothering me for quite a while now: Has anyone else noticed how often TV series (even some of the best ones) are inserting loud, terrible and out of place music into the episodes? Sometimes even interspersing the dialogue scenes with it... which I hate even more because I already find it hard to hear dialogue in a lot of shows/movies now - it's mixed too low compared to the background noise/sound effects, etc.

I feel like it's something that has been getting worse over the last decade or so, and I suppose it isn't helped by the fact that it is never music I like, it's always some ghastly song that I immediately dislike, and sit there hoping it is going to end soon.
    I notice this a lot in movies, can't say I've found it too prevenient in TV. But I don't watch much tv these days, especially modern series.
    Please don't ask questions, just use google.

Never let good music get in the way of making a profit.

I'm only here to reglaze my bathtub.

Something that has been bothering me for quite a while now: Has anyone else noticed how often TV series (even some of the best ones) are inserting loud, terrible and out of place music into the episodes? Sometimes even interspersing the dialogue scenes with it...
    Yeah, I've noticed it. 100 to 1 says that the company that owns the network also owns the record label that the song is on. With media consolidation, you see this sort of thing all the time, now. Five (5!) companies own a ridiculous percentage of media and they need to plug stuff. And the consolidation is across different platforms. One company may own a network, a movie studio, newspapers, radio stations, magazines, a record label, and some book publishing companies. The explosion occurred after the Telecommunications Act of 1996.

And, yes, it's very annoying. The first time I noticed it was on Gray's Anatomy (a show I used to watch with the ex) in about 2006.

Media Cross-Ownership
    “From thirty feet away she looked like a lot of class. From ten feet away she looked like something made up to be seen from thirty feet away.” – Philip Marlowe

I was going to start "Safe" over the weekend but instead started watching "The Staircase". I guess I'm hooked on these true life crime stories...

I assume there are probably a few "Deadwood" fans on this thread? I have not seen it mentioned here, but on Talking Dead Sunday night Actress Kim Dickens (who was also in Deadwood) when asked about her future plans said that it looked like the Deadwood movie was a go to start filming this fall. She said something about the cast being "locked down" to do it. Personally I am pretty exited about this news. Deadwood was one of the all time great HBO dramas in my opinion, that got cancelled before it could be properly ended.

Quote Originally Posted by SteveSly View Post
    I assume there are probably a few "Deadwood" fans on this thread? I have not seen it mentioned here, but on Talking Dead Sunday night Actress Kim Dickens (who was also in Deadwood) when asked about her future plans said that it looked like the Deadwood movie was a go to start filming this fall. She said something about the cast being "locked down" to do it. Personally I am pretty exited about this news. Deadwood was one of the all time great HBO dramas in my opinion, that got cancelled before it could be properly ended.
    Funny to see this as I just started to watch Deadwood last night. I've always heard good things and watching that Talking Dead the other night got me to check it out.

By the way, I really enjoyed this half season of Fear. Good stuff.
    "Who would have thought a whale would be so heavy?" - Moe Sizlak

I was going to start "Safe" over the weekend but instead started watching "The Staircase". I guess I'm hooked on these true life crime stories...
    Gotta say...this is one of the best "true crime" documentaries I have ever seen. At 45 mins per episode, I'm watching 3 per night. Gotta love the defense attorney who totally reminds me of NHL coach John "Torts" Tortorella!

Anyone?

Gotta say...this is one of the best "true crime" documentaries I have ever seen. At 45 mins per episode, I'm watching 3 per night. Gotta love the defense attorney who totally reminds me of NHL coach John "Torts" Tortorella!

Anyone?
    You mean he challenges opposing attorneys to fight him in the corridor outside the courtroom?

Quote Originally Posted by SteveSly View Post

I'd be so into this. The Deadwood box set is just crammed full of interesting extras that make the series that much more interesting. The way they pulled the plug on this series was frustrating so it would be great to see how David Milch wraps it all up, assuming he's involved in the new project.