Page 79 of 330 FirstFirst ... 296975767778798081828389129179 ... LastLast
Results 1,951 to 1,975 of 8227

Thread: Current fav US TV series

Great series watched lately:

Seven Seconds - excellent
    Lost In Space - thoroughly enjoyable.
    Evil Genius - Compelling docu-murder shit a la Making a Murder. Very interesting and happened only a couple hours away in Erie, PA
    Arrested Development - even tho I'd seen many episodes, this was the first time going from start - hilarious!
    Alias Grace - very enjoyable
    The Alienist - 4 episodes in so far and we're enjoying it. Incredible soundtrack, some cool film work. Neat and interesting.

Banned
    I have to say I was pleasantly surprised by Lost in Space, really well done except for some of the lazily written and cliched "human interest" standard fare, Disney-like dialogue, but of course YMMV. Some of the dialogue is quite good, but there is room for improvement in the writing room in that area IMO, but so far the story line is excellent. It also doesn't hurt to have effects and CGI that couldn't be imagined in the original series.

Did anyone catch this call out or any others?: Dr. Smith 's real name is Harris, just as the original Dr. Smith was played by actor Jonathan Harris (rip).

Parrots Ripped My Flesh Dave (in MA)'s Avatar
    ^Her name is June Harris, as a tribute to June Lockhart and Jonathan Harris. Another character is named Angela Goddard, named for the Penny and Major West actors.
    Watch for the actor who plays the real Dr. Zachary Smith, appearing only briefly.

I really had no use for the original series, even as a kid, but I enjoyed the 2018 series.

Quote Originally Posted by hippypants View Post
    So was that it for The Terror or is there another season. Is that how the book ends?
    I read that they are talking about doing another season that has nothing to do with the titular ship or expedition, I guess similar to the way Fargo completely changes each season. That would explain why the network was calling it the SEASON FINALE and not the SERIES FINALE.

Quote Originally Posted by Buddhabreath View Post
    I have to say I was pleasantly surprised by Lost in Space, really well done except for some of the lazily written and cliched "human interest" standard fare, Disney-like dialogue, but of course YMMV. Some of the dialogue is quite good, but there is room for improvement in the writing room in that area IMO, but so far the story line is excellent. It also doesn't hurt to have effects and CGI that couldn't be imagined in the original series.

Did anyone catch this call out or any others?: Dr. Smith 's real name is Harris, just as the original Dr. Smith was played by actor Jonathan Harris (rip).
    I am 6 episodes in and am enjoying it for the most part.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Dave (in MA) View Post
    ^Her name is June Harris, as a tribute to June Lockhart and Jonathan Harris. Another character is named Angela Goddard, named for the Penny and Major West actors.
    Watch for the actor who plays the real Dr. Zachary Smith, appearing only briefly.

I really had no use for the original series, even as a kid, but I enjoyed the 2018 series.
    Nice catches! Yep the original show was pretty lame and degenerated into the Jonathan Harris Comedy Hour didn't it?

Quote Originally Posted by Lino View Post
    Great series watched lately:

Seven Seconds - excellent
    Lost In Space - thoroughly enjoyable.
    Evil Genius - Compelling docu-murder shit a la Making a Murder. Very interesting and happened only a couple hours away in Erie, PA
    Arrested Development - even tho I'd seen many episodes, this was the first time going from start - hilarious!
    Alias Grace - very enjoyable
    The Alienist - 4 episodes in so far and we're enjoying it. Incredible soundtrack, some cool film work. Neat and interesting.
    I also enjoyed Seven Seconds, though some of the early episodes were a tad slow.
    Lost In Space- I never watched the original so no real interest.
    Evil Genius- on my list but have not started it yet.
    Arrested Development- Truly underrated comedic gem! Such a strong ensemble cast!
    Alias Grace- Was really disappointed by the ending, but since it's based on true accounts they had to stay true to the story.
    The Alienist- My current hot show. I've got 8 episodes watched. Saving the last 2 to watch together, like a movie.
    "Corn Flakes pissed in. You ranted. Mission accomplished. Thread closed."

-Cozy 3:16-

Quote Originally Posted by Buddhabreath View Post
    Nice catches! Yep the original show was pretty lame and degenerated into the Jonathan Harris Comedy Hour didn't it?
    A celery is as a celery does.

Decided to give Lost In Space a try. Watched the debut last night. It was good enough that I will continue on...
    "Corn Flakes pissed in. You ranted. Mission accomplished. Thread closed."

-Cozy 3:16-

Quote Originally Posted by Yves View Post
    Decided to give Lost In Space a try. Watched the debut last night. It was good enough that I will continue on...
    Beware of episode 6.
    “From thirty feet away she looked like a lot of class. From ten feet away she looked like something made up to be seen from thirty feet away.” – Philip Marlowe

A bit late at the party for this one. Recently I found rather cheap copies of the two series of The Knick and started watching it this weekend. Very intrigueing stuff and great to see all those period-themes I've read in novels back here.

Enjoying Safe now that I'm four episodes in. Michael C. Hall (or Michael Chall as my wife and I call him) is always great, although we both stumbled a bit at first with his British accent. He does it well, but we've seen him so much between Six Feet Under and Dexter, it was hard to get used to. I don't see why he couldn't just be an American living in the UK. Anyway, great, intriguing story so far. I'll catch up soon and have to start waiting a week between episodes.

Trust finale is tonight, that was a well-done series. Westworld continues tonight as well, I'm a bit lukewarm on it this season to be honest, although it might seriously improve in the second half. Episode 3 of Patrick Melrose also, really looking forward to that.
    Interviewer of reprobate ne'er-do-well musicians of the long-haired rock n' roll persuasion at: www.velvetthunder.co.uk and former scribe at Classic Rock Society. Only vaguely aware of anything other than music.

*** Join me in the Garden of Delights for 3 hours of tune-spinning... every Saturday at 5pm EST on Deep Nuggets radio! www.deepnuggets.com ***

The last episode of "The Americans" is this Wednesday. Coming to an exciting conclusion!

Quote Originally Posted by Progatron View Post
    Enjoying Safe now that I'm four episodes in. Michael C. Hall (or Michael Chall as my wife and I call him) is always great, although we both stumbled a bit at first with his British accent. He does it well, but we've seen him so much between Six Feet Under and Dexter, it was hard to get used to. I don't see why he couldn't just be an American living in the UK. Anyway, great, intriguing story so far. I'll catch up soon and have to start waiting a week between episodes.
    I'm watching it too...have similar thoughts about Michael C Hall, although I feel the whole show could have been transplanted to the US with it's gated communities and lifestyle.
    Dave Sr.

I prefer Nature to Human Nature

Westworld continues tonight as well, I'm a bit lukewarm on it this season to be honest, although it might seriously improve in the second half.
    I've been feeling the same way.

Quote Originally Posted by Guitarplyrjvb View Post
    The last episode of "The Americans" is this Wednesday. Coming to an exciting conclusion!
    I completely forgot about that show. I've struggled to get through the last two seasons even tho it ramps up the tension in the last ¼. I think it's just a little too slow. Maybe they should have only had 10 episodes a season and tightened it up a bit. Or, better yet, instead of 6 seasons of 13 episodes each, 3 seasons of 18 or 20 episodes each.

I think the real problem with this show, and many of the "free" ones like it, is you get 13 weeks of show and then have to wait 39 weeks to see what happens next. I've felt like I've had to rewatch the previous season before I start the new one just so I can know wtf is going on. It's like reading a chapter of a book and then waiting a day to read the next one.

Of course what's great about streaming services is you get all the episodes at once. Unfortunately, if you binge the show, you now have to wait 362+ days for the next season. I mean, I love Santa Clarita Diet but waiting nearly a year for the new season is kinda brutal. And once a show has been picked upu, why can't they then go ahead and film 2 or 3 seasons at a time and then release it all? The show's only 10 episodes a season so they probably get it filmed in 10 weeks. Maybe even less. It's not like Drew Barrymore and Timothy Olyphant are in such high demand. But maybe I'm wrong.

I have a TiVo and can search shows by season/episode. Shows back in the 50s & 60s ran as long as 39-40+ episodes. A season started sometime in September and ran until the first week or two of June. Networks didn't take a Thanksgiving, Christmas, or spring break. Networks didn't usually air reruns opposite big sporting events. Now we get shortened seasons of 26, 20, 13, 10, even as few as 7 episodes a season.

I don't understand their thinking when it comes to this stuff. The worst offender was Breaking Bad. Seasons 2-4 were 13 episodes each and the final was 16 episodes. Great, right? Except they split that season into two, with the first 8 starting July 2012 and the last 8 airing August of 2013. WTF???

Disclaimer: I'm feeling curmudgeonly today.
    “From thirty feet away she looked like a lot of class. From ten feet away she looked like something made up to be seen from thirty feet away.” – Philip Marlowe

Quote Originally Posted by interbellum View Post
    A bit late at the party for this one. Recently I found rather cheap copies of the two series of The Knick and started watching it this weekend. Very intrigueing stuff and great to see all those period-themes I've read in novels back here.
    The Nick was great IMO. I thought I read that they were contemplating doing one more season, but nothing ever happened with it that i am aware of.

We've been banking episodes of The Americans in the DVR and watched the season premiere last night. I do love where it seems the plot is going this year with rival Soviet factions using the Jennings, Paige as the budding spy, Lizzie still a murderous grizzly when protecting her girl, and hey, Oleg is back in town! But dammit, my wife and I both think Philip is not going to come out of this alive.
    I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down.'- Bob Newhart

I'll tell 'ya, Keri Russell is doing a great acting job on this show. I keep hoping for her to get blown up in some way even though in real life, she seems pretty nice. Her Elizabeth Jennings character is a nasty bitch!
    Last edited by Guitarplyrjvb; 05-27-2018 at 05:04 PM.

Subterranean Tapir Hobo Chang Ba's Avatar

Trust finale is tonight, that was a well-done series. Westworld continues tonight as well, I'm a bit lukewarm on it this season to be honest, although it might seriously improve in the second half. Episode 3 of Patrick Melrose also, really looking forward to that.
    I"m totally opposite RE: Westworld. Love this season, especially episode 4. That said, when it's all over, I suspect my enjoyment of the season will come down to how they tie various things up/which things they tie up. But no complaints thus far from me.
    Please don't ask questions, just use google.

Never let good music get in the way of making a profit.

I'm only here to reglaze my bathtub.

Highly Evolved Orangutan JKL2000's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by progeezer View Post
    Thanks! In that case, other than Anna Paquin & director David Cronenberg in an acting role, I don't know any of the actors. The title character Grace is played by Sarah Gadon, who someone here might know, but I don't. She's what hooked me in.

The other big thing it has going for it is that it's based on a book by Handmaid's Tale author Margaret Atwood and she also wrote the screenplay based on actual events in the 1840s involving a poor Irish immigrant who was found guilty of murder and the shrink who is hired by a group of people who believe she was unfairly convicted to try & get her pardoned. Still have yet to watch episodes 2-6. Highly recommended by both me & Rotten Tomatoes.
    Geez, I'm a big Cronenberg fan, so:

- does he only have an acting roll in this? He didn't direct?
    - is it a recurring acting roll?

In any case, I'll check this out since it has the Cronenberg (and Progeezer) seal of approval.

It's a recurrent role, and he didn't direct any episodes iirc.
    "My choice early in life was either to be a piano player in a whorehouse or a politician, and to tell the truth, there's hardly any difference"

President Harry S. Truman

Roseanne has been cancelled.
    Music isn't about chops, or even about talent - it's about sound and the way that sound communicates to people. Mike Keneally

Without getting political at all, it's about time that a huge company like Disney/ABC took a stand based on reining in stupidity and insensitivity on air during a family sitcom taking precedence over making money (& they were making a s**tload on the Roseanne revival, which HAD already had a 2nd season approved).

Good on them (this time).
    "My choice early in life was either to be a piano player in a whorehouse or a politician, and to tell the truth, there's hardly any difference"

President Harry S. Truman

Member since March 2004 mozo-pg's Avatar
    Don't let the door hit you on your fat ass on the way out.

Music isn't about chops, or even about talent - it's about sound and the way that sound communicates to people. Mike Keneally