Page 52 of 328 FirstFirst ... 24248495051525354555662102152 ... LastLast
Results 1,276 to 1,300 of 8188

Thread: Current fav US TV series

Quote Originally Posted by Hal... View Post
    One especially head-scratching moment was after Pastor Young put up the cross and Marty meets the Snells at the Young's house. He offers to invest in the Snell's farm and is negotiating with Snell and first offers 100 grand, then offers 200. Snell indicates he has to go higher so what does Marty do? He goes straight to all the money he has. You'd think Marty, who's obviously the smartest character on the show, would be more shrewd than that.

by are hilarious.
    I actually just finished that episode. Not sure that it made sense to me either. Snell has no idea how much money he has, so why would Marty give it all to him? Seemed odd to me.

Quote Originally Posted by Paulie View Post
    Still no one on board with The Sinner? Some dark shit slowly unfolding in a slow simmer. Jessica Biel is fantastic here BTW.
    I'm very interested, but there are others in front of it, at the moment. Good to hear that it's worth watching.
    Music isn't about chops, or even about talent - it's about sound and the way that sound communicates to people. Mike Keneally

Twin Peaks just keeps getting better and better. Two hour finale next Sunday. Cooper is back!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by SteveSly View Post
    I actually just finished that episode. Not sure that it made sense to me either. Snell has no idea how much money he has, so why would Marty give it all to him? Seemed odd to me.
    I didn't mean to imply I didn't understand it or it confused me. And it wasn't odd. It was stupid; as in the writers did something stupid. Which shouldn't surprise me anymore but when a show is generally well-written or is reasonably intelligent, it leaves me shaking my head when I run across something like that. Usually, the stupid thing writers do is change some attribute of a character. Friends was good for that. Seinfeld did it a few times. Or something designed to advance the plot won't make sense or won't be logical. There were 2 or 3 times in Breaking Bad that occurred. And that was a well-written show.

My favorite example is from Falling Skies. When I first saw this, I actually rewound the show on the DVR to make sure I saw what I thought I saw because I couldn't believe it made it to the screen. Seriously, this has got to be the most glaring example of stupid writing I've ever seen on TV. And the writers and exec producers didn't even catch it.

Check out the clip:

So, they're going to blow the bridge 100 yards before the truck reaches it and then they're going to quickly move into position behind it. Except that they're on the wrong side of the bridge! How are they going to run back across the bridge if it no longer exists?

Have you ever seen anything that bad before?
    “From thirty feet away she looked like a lot of class. From ten feet away she looked like something made up to be seen from thirty feet away.” – Philip Marlowe

Quote Originally Posted by Hal... View Post

So, they're going to blow the bridge 100 yards before the truck reaches it and then they're going to quickly move into position behind it. Except that they're on the wrong side of the bridge! How are they going to run back across the bridge if it no longer exists?

That is priceless!

So many times on the Walking Dead I lost count.
    I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down.'- Bob Newhart

Quote Originally Posted by Jerjo View Post
    So many times on the Walking Dead I lost count.
    But be honest, Jerol, TWD has never done anything quite that stupid.
    “From thirty feet away she looked like a lot of class. From ten feet away she looked like something made up to be seen from thirty feet away.” – Philip Marlowe

I've tried to repress all the plots and stupidity of TWD but a few come to mind. The Governor launches a frontal assault on the prison. It fails. What does he do the next season? A frontal assault that gets his ass killed. Another, there's a long dark RR tunnel that probably has walkers in it. Rather than wait for backup or go over the top of it, Glenn walks right in. Or the zombie quarry. Oh fuck, that was all kinds of dumb. You've got ten thousand walkers trapped in a quarry. Rick decides that instead of shoring up the trap a little he can safely herd 10K mindless munchers to a different location with a crew of about ten people.

Kirkman's main plot device was that someone did something stupid and then shit got out of control. Maybe you're right, that it never reaches the epic dumbness of that Falling Skies scene but damn, it was every other episode the main action was put into play because someone did something so brain dead you had to wonder if they were a zombie.
    I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down.'- Bob Newhart

Quote Originally Posted by Jerjo View Post
    I've tried to repress all the plots and stupidity of TWD but a few come to mind. The Governor launches a frontal assault on the prison. It fails. What does he do the next season? A frontal assault that gets his ass killed. Another, there's a long dark RR tunnel that probably has walkers in it. Rather than wait for backup or go over the top of it, Glenn walks right in. Or the zombie quarry. Oh fuck, that was all kinds of dumb. You've got ten thousand walkers trapped in a quarry. Rick decides that instead of shoring up the trap a little he can safely herd 10K mindless munchers to a different location with a crew of about ten people.
    The railroad tunnel, the quarry. I know. I know.

Kirkman's main plot device was that someone did something stupid and then shit got out of control. Maybe you're right, that it never reaches the epic dumbness of that Falling Skies scene but damn, it was every other episode the main action was put into play because someone did something so brain dead you had to wonder if they were a zombie.
    lol. I know, but there's a difference between stupid plot devices and just being plain stupid. But maybe all the stupid plot devices on TWD equal that one epically stupid scene in FS.

I've thought about that scene in FS. Obviously, what they were trying to do was show how tough Anne was (which was a bit of a departure for her character, as she was the group's doctor) but also add in some action to make it exciting. What they ended up doing, however, was writing themselves into a corner. Which begs the question, were the writers too lazy to rewrite the scene, too stupid to write it properly, or did they just figure the audience was too stupid to notice?

American Horror Story returns this week with season 7's "Cult". I am really hoping for a return to form after the extremely disappointing "Roanoke" last year.

I'm now four episodes into Ozark, and I'm really enjoying it. More story elements are still being introduced every episode.

Anyone know if it was picked up for a second season (I obviously have no idea how this one ends)?
    Music isn't about chops, or even about talent - it's about sound and the way that sound communicates to people. Mike Keneally

Recent series watched:

Outlander - better than one might imagine. Even has a harlequin style love story to keep your lady in to it.

Banshee - exciting and fun, but man, there are a lot of fights. LOL You have to suspend disbelief, because there's no way anybody would have teeth left after the fucking beatings these people lay on each other.

Ozark - Not bad but sometimes stretching too much to be Breaking Bad. I don't like series where I can pretty well predict what the trouble will be at every corner. But you know what, by the last 2 episodes, it was pretty exciting with some typically weird characters.

Ray Donovan - new season is pretty good so far.

Quote Originally Posted by Scott Bails View Post
    Anyone know if it was picked up for a second season (I obviously have no idea how this one ends)?
    Yes it was. No idea when it will air, tho.

Quote Originally Posted by Lino View Post

Ozark - Not bad but sometimes stretching too much to be Breaking Bad. I don't like series where I can pretty well predict what the trouble will be at every corner. But you know what, by the last 2 episodes, it was pretty exciting with some typically weird characters.
    I haven't watched Breaking Bad, but you're right on the second point, Lino. Though, there was a plot development in ep. 4 that was totally unexpected.

I didn't know the series Wayward Pines, so when I saw a nice DVD-set, that had "the complete mini-series" on the cover and an Twin Peaks meets The Leftovers kind of story on the back, I bought it.
    I kind of liked it, although it wasn't on the level of those two series, especially the sometimes weak playing of some of the actors.
    After 10 episodes it ended quite dark, but for me it was a real end.
    So I was surprised to see there's a second season, while there's talk about a new third season.
    The series has been mentioned somewhere over here, but without going through 51 pages I wonder if the second season is any good.

I enjoyed the first season of Wayward Pines. Haven't seen the second season yet.

Quote Originally Posted by interbellum View Post
    I didn't know the series Wayward Pines, so when I saw a nice DVD-set, that had "the complete mini-series" on the cover and an Twin Peaks meets The Leftovers kind of story on the back, I bought it.
    I kind of liked it, although it wasn't on the level of those two series, especially the sometimes weak playing of some of the actors.
    After 10 episodes it ended quite dark, but for me it was a real end.
    So I was surprised to see there's a second season, while there's talk about a new third season.
    The series has been mentioned somewhere over here, but without going through 51 pages I wonder if the second season is any good.
    I thought it started out strong, but by the end of the first season I thought it had gone downhill quite a bit. I watched the first episode of the 2nd season and that is as far as I got.

So what new shows are you all looking forward to this fall?
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    A gentleman is defined as someone who knows how to play the accordion, and doesn't.

Have been watching Mr Mercedes.

10 episode series based on the first book of the Stephen King trilogy about a retired detective named Bill Hodges.

As usual tv seems to do King better than movies.

Very close to the plot of the book.

DtB
    Last edited by Dave the Brave; 09-07-2017 at 09:47 AM.

I'm looking forward to The Orville. At least by the looks of the trailer, it seems to be a promising comedy/drama.

Quote Originally Posted by SteveSly View Post
    I thought it started out strong, but by the end of the first season I thought it had gone downhill quite a bit. I watched the first episode of the 2nd season and that is as far as I got.
    Thanks. I think I will leave it with Season one. (For a long time I thought that scientist made everything up; he created those man-eaters etc. just to create is own version of the Boys from Brazil.)

Quote Originally Posted by Dave the Brave View Post

10 episode series based on the first book of the Stephen King trilogu about a retired detective named Bill Hodges.

DtB
    I didn't realize that was out yet. Netflix?

Quote Originally Posted by Dave the Brave View Post

10 episode series based on the first book of the Stephen King trilogu about a retired detective named Bill Hodges.

DtB
    The trailer for It looks pretty good.

Quote Originally Posted by Scott Bails View Post
    I didn't realize that was out yet. Netflix?
    Audience Network:
    https://www.directv.com/networks/audience

I gotta say that I'm finding Season 8 of Archer even shittier than Season 7. That show just couldn't stay consistent.

I started watching season 3 of Narcos and I think it's gonna be as good, if not better, than the first two.
    "Corn Flakes pissed in. You ranted. Mission accomplished. Thread closed."

-Cozy 3:16-