Page 48 of 329 FirstFirst ... 384445464748495051525898148 ... LastLast
Results 1,176 to 1,200 of 8225

Thread: Current fav US TV series

Anyone else watched "Will" yet on Spike? It's about early Will Shakespeare. So far the pilot was pretty good.
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    A gentleman is defined as someone who knows how to play the accordion, and doesn't.

Quote Originally Posted by SteveSly View Post
    I kind of feel the same way. I liked it, but did not think it was as great as a lot of people seemed to think it was.
    Quote Originally Posted by Buddhabreath View Post
    Me too - I don't see what the big deal is - maybe nostalgia? It does capture the 70s kinda ET feel, but I find the writing and production mediocre. I'm sure YMMV.
    For me personally, it was nostalgic of course, but it also mined a very specific storytelling vein that's seldom used these days: Pitting children against an otherworldly evil force. Stephen King's "It" was perhaps the best example of this, and "Stranger Things" was heavily inspired by that of course, but goes in its own direction.

Then there was the mysterious nature of "The Upside Down", which is not something I've ever seen done in a TV show before.

Those two things together made it very interesting to me. Obviously not everyone feels the same way.

The nostalgia is definitely a factor, but it's so well-done. It really nails the Spielberg/King feel and brought me right back to middle school. My 9th grade daughter loved it, too. The kids they casted all did a fine job, and the story was fun and creepy. Wynona Ryder and David Harbour were also fantastic.
    Music isn't about chops, or even about talent - it's about sound and the way that sound communicates to people. Mike Keneally

Yeah, it hits that sweet spot between Spielberg and Stephen King really well. There were a lot of scenes shot that were deliberate clones of ones in 80s movies.

I can't help but look at that picture and think, "where's Eleven?" Still in the Upside Down? They deliberately left a lot of questions hanging when they did season one hoping they'd get a second season. I guess we'll find out in October what's next.
    I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down.'- Bob Newhart

There's no way that Millie Bobbie Brown (Eleven) will not be back. She is the breakout star of this imo remarkable series.
    "My choice early in life was either to be a piano player in a whorehouse or a politician, and to tell the truth, there's hardly any difference"

President Harry S. Truman

Quote Originally Posted by progeezer View Post
    There's no way that Millie Bobbie Brown (Eleven) will not be back. She is the breakout star of this imo remarkable series.
    Definitely.

I thought they already announced that she would be back?
    Music isn't about chops, or even about talent - it's about sound and the way that sound communicates to people. Mike Keneally

Yeah, some months ago they tweeted a photo of the cast at the first reading for season two and she was sitting with the boys. Best part, the photo on Twitter was posted upside down.
    I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down.'- Bob Newhart

Quote Originally Posted by Scott Bails View Post
    The nostalgia is definitely a factor, but it's so well-done. It really nails the Spielberg/King feel...
    Agreed 100%.

...and brought me right back to middle school.
    Middle school??????????????? Shit, I thought you were older than that. Thanks, man, now I really feel old.
    “From thirty feet away she looked like a lot of class. From ten feet away she looked like something made up to be seen from thirty feet away.” – Philip Marlowe

I'm nowhere near your lawn, Hal, in case you were concerned.

OK, another "stop it children".
    "My choice early in life was either to be a piano player in a whorehouse or a politician, and to tell the truth, there's hardly any difference"

I'm nowhere near your lawn, Hal, in case you were concerned.
    I'm not that old. You must be confusing me with Jerol. lol

Quote Originally Posted by progeezer View Post
    OK, another "stop it children".
    So you were around for the Wright brothers first flight. Big deal.
    “From thirty feet away she looked like a lot of class. From ten feet away she looked like something made up to be seen from thirty feet away.” – Philip Marlowe

I'm not that old. You must be confusing me with Jerol. lol
    Hey, I resemble that remark!

Being totally sucked in by the 7-part documentary "The Keepers" on Netflix. Wasn't sure after 1 episode but I gave it another shot and so glad that I did! Chilling stuff! It may prove difficult for some to hear what transpired in an all-girl Catholic school in Baltimore in the late 60s/early 70s. I'm 4 episodes in, so no spoilers if you already watched it all.
    "Corn Flakes pissed in. You ranted. Mission accomplished. Thread closed."

-Cozy 3:16-

I watched The Keepers and some of it was tough to watch, but well worth it.

I am surprised that not one other person besides me in this thread has commented about Animal Kingdom on TNT with Ellen Barkin, based on the Aussie movie. I think it's killer.

Just started a binge watching of The Expanse.

I tried a couple of time in the past on the reccomend of my son, but just could not get into it.

Now I'm hooked. Watched first 6 episodes yesterday.

Pretty good stuff.

DtB

I tried watching the first episode and couldn't get into it. Sounds like I need to give it another try. Too many here have raved about it.

I'm here for the moosic NogbadTheBad's Avatar
    Watched one episode and haven't gone back to it yet.
    Ian

Host of the Post-Avant Jazzcore Happy Hour on progrock.com
    https://podcasts.progrock.com/post-a...re-happy-hour/

Gordon Haskell - "You've got to keep the groove in your head and play a load of bollocks instead"
    I blame Wynton, what was the question?
    There are only 10 types of people in the World, those who understand binary and those that don't.

Quote Originally Posted by Yves View Post
    Being totally sucked in by the 7-part documentary "The Keepers" on Netflix. Wasn't sure after 1 episode but I gave it another shot and so glad that I did! Chilling stuff! It may prove difficult for some to hear what transpired in an all-girl Catholic school in Baltimore in the late 60s/early 70s. I'm 4 episodes in, so no spoilers if you already watched it all.
    Another Keepers fan here. Very interesting stuff.

I tried watching the first episode and couldn't get into it. Sounds like I need to give it another try.
    Maybe. Maybe not.

I watched well into the first season but then bailed. YMMV, however.

Actually, I've had similar experiences with Humans, Orphan Black – both of which I championed – and Extant. Extant got stupid, imo, but Humans and Orphan Black were still reasonably well written. I just lost interest and I think it has mainly to do with the story arcs.

Quote Originally Posted by Hal... View Post
    Maybe. Maybe not.

I watched well into the first season but then bailed. YMMV, however.

Actually, I've had similar experiences with Humans, Orphan Black – both of which I championed – and Extant. Extant got stupid, imo, but Humans and Orphan Black were still reasonably well written. I just lost interest and I think it has mainly to do with the story arcs.
    I got about halfway through season one of The Expanse and gave up. I didn't think it was a bad show. It just didn't grab me enough to keep watching. I did like Humans. I really liked the 1st season of Orphan Black. I watched season 2 and felt my interest slipping. I might give season 3 a try at some point.

I think you're right about the story arc. That's a problem that many shows have. Good 1st season-where do they take it?

Been watching Tennison, a prequel to Prime Suspect with Tennison just starting her career in the Metropolitan Police. Pretty good period cop drama.
    Ian

Gordon Haskell - "You've got to keep the groove in your head and play a load of bollocks instead"
    There are only 10 types of people in the World, those who understand binary and those that don't.

Quote Originally Posted by Mike D View Post
    I think you're right about the story arc. That's a problem that many shows have. Good 1st season-where do they take it?
    Yes, exactly. It's like the creators of the show figure it won't get renewed for season 2 and don't fully develop the story. I thought Humans and Orphan Black were both like that.

I also think many newer, short season shows or online shows have kinda changed the paradigm of how we watch TV and have spoiled us. Gone are the days of the family gathering in the living room to watch their favorite show every week. Now anyone can binge watch a show at their whim.

Of course, part of the problem with all that is the networks' own fault. Show's being preempted for sports or a network showing a rerun because of a sporting event on another channel. Things have gotten so bad, some quality network shows (not that there are any left) go on hiatus from Dec 1 to as late as Feb 1!

Not to mention that it's considerably cheaper to produce a reality show than to pay good writers to write a good show.

Network execs have really fucked up broadcast TV.

Quote Originally Posted by Mike D View Post
    Yes, exactly. It's like the creators of the show figure it won't get renewed for season 2 and don't fully develop the story.
    This is one of the things I'm loving about Billions. I'm about halfway through Season 2, and the stories have just taken a natural progression. Nothing seems forced. But Season 1 felt like one self-contained story, without much set-up for a second season, until the show ended and they dropped a few little storylines that could be expanded upon.

Not to mention that it's considerably cheaper to produce a reality show than to pay good writers to write a good show.
    Reality shows have killed broadcast TV, IMO. The "traditional" networks have gotten lazy. All of the best, most creative work is on the cable channels or streaming services.

The wife and I just finished the new season of "House Of Cards" on Netflix tonight. Although it is still a great series I kind of thought this season was a slight step down from previous ones.

Just started watching Ripper Street, very good.
    Ian