Page 45 of 330 FirstFirst ... 354142434445464748495595145 ... LastLast
Results 1,101 to 1,125 of 8227

Thread: Current fav US TV series

I finished season 5 of House of Cards earlier today. Season 6 will be very interesting a year from now. The Underwoods ain't dead yet.
    "My choice early in life was either to be a piano player in a whorehouse or a politician, and to tell the truth, there's hardly any difference"

President Harry S. Truman

Series finale of The Leftovers in 30 minutes. This could be epic or terrible. We'll see where it goes.......

Regarding The Leftovers finale. I will not spoil anything for those who have not seen it. Not sure if I was satisfied or not. The press / critics are almost universally praising it. Curious what people here think?

Don't let your meatloaf! Paulie's Avatar
    I loved it. Just beautiful. Still sticking in my cranium and that usually means something.
    "That gum you like is going to come back in style."

The finale was one of the better episodes of the third season. Overall though, I thought seasons two and three did not live up to the amazing first season. Individual episodes were fantastic, but as a totality, less so.

And like many modern shows, including ones I truly love (Fargo for example), the score was absolutely wonderful, but the actual song choices they stick into these shows make me cringe. I just hate when they stick a song that's completely out of place into a dramatic show and think it will work on an 'artistic' basis.
    Interviewer of reprobate ne'er-do-well musicians of the long-haired rock n' roll persuasion at: www.velvetthunder.co.uk and former scribe at Classic Rock Society. Only vaguely aware of anything other than music.

*** Join me in the Garden of Delights for 3 hours of tune-spinning... every Saturday at 5pm EST on Deep Nuggets radio! www.deepnuggets.com ***

The Jinx: The Life and Deaths of Robert Durst. The [six part] series investigates the unsolved 1982 disappearance of Durst's wife Kathie, the 2000 execution-style killing of writer Susan Berman [best friend of Durst and the daughter of "Davie the Jew" Berman, a mob figure who was also the partner of Bugsy Siegel], and the 2001 death and dismemberment of Durst's neighbor, Morris Black, in Galveston, Texas. It uses a wide array of existing footage... combined with footage shot by Jarecki, which is composed of contemporary interviews, visual reenactments, and Jarecki's peculiar working relationship with Durst. Its complex editing style and narrative construction emphasize the contradictions within both Durst's life and the bizarre and grisly murders he allegedly committed. (from Wikipedia)

All I can say is, wow. This is the best documentary miniseries I've ever seen. That said, I should warn you that it's a bit of a slow build. But what keeps this from bogging down is that the average length of each episode is about 45 minutes [I felt many of the episodes of The Keepers were a bit too long]. The story is also pretty compelling as is the interview with Durst himself. Hell, I couldn't help but find myself actually liking him even tho I came to believe he's guilty.

Avoid reading anything about it as you'll undoubtedly come across spoilers. Oh, and things get really interesting from about 2/3 of the way through episode 5 through to the end of episode 6. Funny thing about the denouement: there's actually a foreshadowing of what's to come but I still didn't expect it. It left me gobsmacked.

It was originally on HBO and so I think it can be streamed on HBONow. You can also get the DVDs from Netflix or your library. However you get it, find a way to see The Jinx.

Edit: Something I neglected to mention. One of the reasons I liked The Jinx more than The Keepers is that there's no resolution to The Keepers. Technically, there isn't one for The Jinx, either, but it's implied.
    Last edited by Hal...; 06-05-2017 at 09:39 PM.
    “From thirty feet away she looked like a lot of class. From ten feet away she looked like something made up to be seen from thirty feet away.” – Philip Marlowe

Quote Originally Posted by Paulie View Post
    I loved it. Just beautiful. Still sticking in my cranium and that usually means something.
    Yea, me too. In fact I watched it again tonight with my wife who was out of town on Sunday night. The finale was very well written and filmed, and the acting……….Carrie Coon should be a sho-in for an Emmy. She turned in a remarkable performance, one of the best I have ever seen on HBO, and I have seen a lot of great performances. Justin Theroux was also fantastic. I am still not sure that I am totally satisfied with a few things regarding the overall story, but I am still thinking about it.

Quote Originally Posted by Progatron View Post
    The finale was one of the better episodes of the third season. Overall though, I thought seasons two and three did not live up to the amazing first season. Individual episodes were fantastic, but as a totality, less so.

And like many modern shows, including ones I truly love (Fargo for example), the score was absolutely wonderful, but the actual song choices they stick into these shows make me cringe. I just hate when they stick a song that's completely out of place into a dramatic show and think it will work on an 'artistic' basis.
    Mmm.......there was not anything in the score that really struck out for me, in fact I loved the use of Robin Trower at the dance / wedding sequence.

Quote Originally Posted by Klonk View Post
    Wow...what a total disappointment the last couple episodes of Netflix Bloodline were.
    I've got 2 to go.... I guess I'll be let down....
    "Corn Flakes pissed in. You ranted. Mission accomplished. Thread closed."

-Cozy 3:16-

The Leftovers finale was riveting. Carrie Coon is a marvel.

LOVED the finale of Leftovers I can't wait to watch it again.
    "Who would have thought a whale would be so heavy?" - Moe Sizlak

...and damn is Shameless fun as hell to watch
    "Who would have thought a whale would be so heavy?" - Moe Sizlak

I started watching "Turn". Any fans? We're liking it so far. It definitely has that AMC feel to it; kinda like Hell On Wheels a century earlier.

The AVClub remembers an 80s classic

http://www.avclub.com/article/night-...dynasty-255957

I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down.'- Bob Newhart

Better Call Saul. Fantastic acting, storylines, direction, cinematography.

Anyone else into Animal Kingdom with Ellen Barkin on TNT? I watched the pilot a year ago because I've always liked Barkin (first saw her in the classic?? Eddie & The Cruisers and thought she was great with Pacino in Sea Of Love). Season 2 just started (episode 2 last night).
    "My choice early in life was either to be a piano player in a whorehouse or a politician, and to tell the truth, there's hardly any difference"

President Harry S. Truman

Quote Originally Posted by Score2112 View Post
    Better Call Saul. Fantastic acting, storylines, direction, cinematography.
    Anyone catch the cameo appearance of a character form season one in the last episode? My wife and I both went “where do we know that guy from”? Finally it hit us who he was. Not sure if it was a one off appearance or if he is going to be weaved into the current story.

There's been a bunch of recurring characters. I'm always testing my assistant on Tuesday.

I'm waiting for Bill Burr to return (Huell 's counterpart)! He's a childhood friend of the owner of my firm and pops in when he's back in town. He was actually the Stern interview today coincidentally. Funny fucker!

Parrots Ripped My Flesh Dave (in MA)'s Avatar
    I'm waiting for Bill Burr to return (Huell 's counterpart)! He's a childhood friend of the owner of my firm and pops in when he's back in town. He was actually the Stern interview today coincidentally. Funny fucker!
    His brother was my selectman until April. Not funny as far as I can tell.

Parrots Ripped My Flesh Dave (in MA)'s Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by SteveSly View Post
    Anyone catch the cameo appearance of a character form season one in the last episode? My wife and I both went “where do we know that guy from”? Finally it hit us who he was. Not sure if it was a one off appearance or if he is going to be weaved into the current story.
    Which one?

Speaking of which, season 2 of F Is For Family is proving to be very funny!

I heard him talk about that yesterday. Had no clue he was involved with that project. On my list.

I heard him talk about that yesterday. Had no clue he was involved with that project. On my list.
    It's based on his childhood so it takes place in the mid 70s. He plays the voice of his father. Funny shit!

Quote Originally Posted by Dave (in MA) View Post
    Which one?
    Mr. Wrench from season 1. Looks like it was not just a cameo.