Page 40 of 328 FirstFirst ... 303637383940414243445090140 ... LastLast
Results 976 to 1,000 of 8188

Thread: Current fav US TV series

Thanks Geez. Until now, I didn't know the premise of the show. I'm not sure I'll be able to take it if it's sad in that kinda way. Crazy, but the older I've gotten the more sensitive I've become...and there's some stuff I just don't watch. We're definitely going to try it as our kids have never let us down with their recs and they know us well and what we like...but if it's a little too real, it might be a little too real . lol

My guess is you'll probably dig it, Lino, coz' it's more black humor than gut-wrenching sadness.

My kids told me to watch Walking Dead a couple of years ago and I never finished season 1, episode 2. I know how popular it is here, there & everywhere, but I just didn't get it.
    "My choice early in life was either to be a piano player in a whorehouse or a politician, and to tell the truth, there's hardly any difference"

President Harry S. Truman

Quote Originally Posted by progeezer View Post
    My kids told me to watch Walking Dead a couple of years ago and I never finished season 1, episode 2. I know how popular it is here, there & everywhere, but I just didn't get it.
    Because it's often stupid. Unfortunately, I think I'm addicted to it like a meth addict slowly losing their teeth.
    “From thirty feet away she looked like a lot of class. From ten feet away she looked like something made up to be seen from thirty feet away.” – Philip Marlowe

Don't let your meatloaf! Paulie's Avatar
    The first two seasons (when Durabont was really involved) were very compelling imo. I'm still in, but mostly for the unintentional comedy.
    "That gum you like is going to come back in style."

I gave up a while ago. Kirkman is a man of limited imagination and has only a couple plot lines and themes which he uses again and again. Too many instances of an episode depending on someone doing something heroically stupid to move the pieces forward. Plus there's absolutely no hope to the situation and absolutely no sense that there ever will be a resolution, just an endless slog until the network pulls the plug. It's the kind of thing that gives genre television a bad name.
    I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down.'- Bob Newhart

Don't let your meatloaf! Paulie's Avatar
    Cautiously optimistic on the Twin Peaks continuation airing this month on SHO after a 26 year hiatus. Lynch directed every ep so I'm sure we're in for some classic WTF moments. They pulled the plug back then with some pretty fkn hairy cliffhangers (biggest being beloved Agent Cooper inhabited by Bob after his journey to the Black Lodge) so I hope they do some justice for us die hard idiots.
    "That gum you like is going to come back in style."

Quote Originally Posted by Hal... View Post
    Because it's often stupid. Unfortunately, I think I'm addicted to it like a meth addict slowly losing their teeth.
    Agreed, but I too am addicted and will probably watch it until the end since I have invested so much time into it already. That being said, I don’t think it is even close to comparable to most of the other shows discussed on this thread in terms of writing or acting.

Quote Originally Posted by SteveSly View Post
    That being said, I don’t think it is even close to comparable to most of the other shows discussed on this thread in terms of writing or acting.
    It's not even on the same continent.
    “From thirty feet away she looked like a lot of class. From ten feet away she looked like something made up to be seen from thirty feet away.” – Philip Marlowe

Quote Originally Posted by Hal... View Post
    It's not even on the same continent.
    But I swear every panelist on Talking Dead seems to think it's always in Emmy contention. Hardwick should get hazard pay for continuing to carry water for it.
    I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down.'- Bob Newhart

I guess I'm the only one watching The Last Kingdom. 4 episodes into season two and they are really following the books closely. Recommended to those who like historic fiction with more action than talking. Things move at a very fast pace on this show. The depictions of the towns and even the kingdoms have more of an authentic feel than the grandiose palaces on GOT.
    "Corn Flakes pissed in. You ranted. Mission accomplished. Thread closed."

-Cozy 3:16-

I'm here for the moosic NogbadTheBad's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Yves View Post
    I guess I'm the only one watching The Last Kingdom. 4 episodes into season two and they are really following the books closely. Recommended to those who like historic fiction with more action than talking. Things move at a very fast pace on this show. The depictions of the towns and even the kingdoms have more of an authentic feel than the grandiose palaces on GOT.
    That actually sounds like my kind of thing, I'll check it out.
    Ian

Host of the Post-Avant Jazzcore Happy Hour on progrock.com
    https://podcasts.progrock.com/post-a...re-happy-hour/

Gordon Haskell - "You've got to keep the groove in your head and play a load of bollocks instead"
    I blame Wynton, what was the question?
    There are only 10 types of people in the World, those who understand binary and those that don't.

Quote Originally Posted by progeezer View Post
    My guess is you'll probably dig it, Lino, coz' it's more black humor than gut-wrenching sadness.

You're right bruthah, on episode 4 and it's excellently entertaining so far.

I'm really liking Better Call Saul and Fargo these days. As far as network TV goes i like the animated stuff - Bob's Burgers, Family Guy and that Last Man on Earth show is kind of funny too, after that network is virtually dead to me.

I think I bought Season 1 on DVD, but haven't watched it yet. I've got so much unwatched and unlistened to stuff, that if I pop the clogs anytime soon, it'll have been a lot of wasted money.

Quote Originally Posted by NogbadTheBad View Post
    That actually sounds like my kind of thing, I'll check it out.
    It's the story of King Alfred and his attempts to consolidate all of England under his banner. His story is told primarily through a fictitious character named Uthred. His father was a lord in Northumbria but there was a coup by his uncle, leaving young Uthred as a spoil of war that a Dane warrior decides to keep as an adopted son. Uthred is thus raised as a Dane, and grows up hating the English for a while but his alliegiances to his kin do return, though he is torn. He then becomes a central figure in most of the historic battles fought in the late 9th century. Very little was written in those days and even less survived so Cornwell (the author) has to take certain liberties with the history, but tries to stay as accurate as possible. The books were fast-paced with a lot of fighting and the show has lived up to them. I believe that this show may become too big for Netflix, like Marco Polo did.

It's the story of King Alfred and his attempts to consolidate all of England under his banner. His story is told primarily through a fictitious character named Uthred. His father was a lord in Northumbria but there was a coup by his uncle, leaving young Uthred as a spoil of war that a Dane warrior decides to keep as an adopted son. Uthred is thus raised as a Dane, and grows up hating the English for a while but his alliegiances to his kin do return, though he is torn. He then becomes a central figure in most of the historic battles fought in the late 9th century. Very little was written in those days and even less survived so Cornwell (the author) has to take certain liberties with the history, but tries to stay as accurate as possible. The books were fast-paced with a lot of fighting and the show has lived up to them. I believe that this show may become too big for Netflix, like Marco Polo did.
    Yet another show that I would love but my wife will hate. Gonna have to be some early morning binge viewing for me.

I'm here for the moosic NogbadTheBad's Avatar
    Watched the first episode tonight, its the sort of thing my wife loves. Really enjoyed it. Never realized Northumbria went all the way to North Yorkshire in those days.
    Ian

Host of the Post-Avant Jazzcore Happy Hour on progrock.com
    https://podcasts.progrock.com/post-a...re-happy-hour/

Gordon Haskell - "You've got to keep the groove in your head and play a load of bollocks instead"
    I blame Wynton, what was the question?
    There are only 10 types of people in the World, those who understand binary and those that don't.

Quote Originally Posted by NogbadTheBad View Post
    Watched the first episode tonight, its the sort of thing my wife loves. Really enjoyed it. Never realized Northumbria went all the way to North Yorkshire in those days.
    Glad you enjoyed it.. Season One was good enough to make me stick with it, but Season Two has been better so far..

The Leftovers
    The Prog Corner

Quote Originally Posted by miamiscot View Post
    The Leftovers
    I loved last episode with Kevin Garvey Sr. This show is so puzzling and interesting at the same time!
    "Who would have thought a whale would be so heavy?" - Moe Sizlak

at The Walking Dead bashing again...this is mindless, late night, good not to have to think too hard, beer drinkin' fun. Nothing more, nothing less and I LOVE it for that very reason.

Quote Originally Posted by Klonk View Post
    at The Walking Dead bashing again...this is mindless, late night, good not to have to think too hard, beer drinkin' fun. Nothing more, nothing less and I LOVE it for that very reason.
    But it no longer even lives up to that low expectation. If I drink during an episode I'll fall asleep for sure! They need a MAJOR zombie attack! Some new boss who has managed to harness and control the walkers and who's blazing a trail across the USA. Make it about The Walking Dead again! Fuck Neegan up the ass with his barbed-wire bat!

I've been told by a fellow BCS fan that I would love Fargo. I cant seem to locate any f the past seasons anywhere. is there anywhere online to watch perhaps one or two episodes to see if its worth a purchase?

Never mind... I found it on Hulu - I thought I'd checked there already, but apparently I'm stupid

But it no longer even lives up to that low expectation. If I drink during an episode I'll fall asleep for sure! They need a MAJOR zombie attack! Some new boss who has managed to harness and control the walkers and who's blazing a trail across the USA. Make it about The Walking Dead again! Fuck Neegan up the ass with his barbed-wire bat!
    But see I don't have any expectations while watching this show...about zombies . So for me it works just fine and I'll stick with it as long as it lasts.

Quote Originally Posted by Yodelgoat View Post
    I've been told by a fellow BCS fan that I would love Fargo. I cant seem to locate any f the past seasons anywhere. is there anywhere online to watch perhaps one or two episodes to see if its worth a purchase?

Never mind... I found it on Hulu - I thought I'd checked there already, but apparently I'm stupid
    If you liked the movie I can't imagine that you would not like the show. It is done in a very similar style.