Page 37 of 329 FirstFirst ... 273334353637383940414787137 ... LastLast

Thread: Current fav US TV series

Quote Originally Posted by SteveSly View Post
    I just finished this and really enjoyed it. I am kind of surprised at the low rating it seems to be getting from Netflix viewers (2 Stars last time I looked), as I thought it was really well down and covered a subject that I have never seen examined before. My guess is people were expecting something else? Not sure.

BTW I also noticed that Netflix have added several of the films depicted in the documentary to their new releases list. I watched the Frank Capra “Prelude To War, Why We Fight” film today, and it is very interesting if you have seen the documentary. Several other ones from the documentary are also showing on Netflix now.
    Thanks! I hadn't noticed that since I've been mostly watching dvr'd stuff & baseball the past few days.
    "My choice early in life was either to be a piano player in a whorehouse or a politician, and to tell the truth, there's hardly any difference"

President Harry S. Truman

In to season 4 of "Shameless" and unlike some other series, it's actually getting better.

Finishing up Season 2 of Better Call Saul, and while it's no Breaking Bad (my all time favorite show) it's still a very good show. I can never watch just one at a time.
    "Corn Flakes pissed in. You ranted. Mission accomplished. Thread closed."

-Cozy 3:16-

I still like The Walking Dead. Also, Better Call Saul (agreed, it's no Breaking Bad, but it's fun). As for regular network shows, I like The Black List, though it seems to be waning a bit.

The 3rd & final installment of "The Great War' on PBS that aired last night was probably the most agape my mouth was watching any tv for as long as I can remember.

Now I know how much I didn't know about WW1.

1. Woodrow Wilson was the closest thing the US ever had to a draconian dictator in the White House.

2. German-Americans were the Japanese-Americans of WW1, and actually had things happening to them far worse than being interred at camps.

3. The allies may very well have lost the war were it not for 9 Choctaw indians who were the predecessors of the Windtalkers.

There were many more "holy shit!" moments for me than just those.

Very powerful stuff.
    "My choice early in life was either to be a piano player in a whorehouse or a politician, and to tell the truth, there's hardly any difference"

I've got episodes two and three set on the DVR for when they air them after midnight. My maternal grandpa served in WWI; I have pictures of him in uniform. He ended up being an ambulance driver because he knew how to drive and it was a rare skill in 1917. He was proud as hell of his service but never told us kids anything about it other than "you boys don't need to know what men are capable of doing to other men".
    I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down.'- Bob Newhart

Caught the new Dr. Who episode for the season's opener called The Pilot. Although I've enjoyed it somewhat, I've not cared for the new version of Who much. Too silly, too cliched, and too over the top for my taste.

Just finished Season 2 of Better Call Saul. This is truly turning into a very good show! I didn't know what to expect, but the parallel stories of Jimmy and Mike make for a compelling watch!

Don't let your meatloaf! Paulie's Avatar
    I love this show and season 3 is off to a good start. Mike was my favorite character on the original and he is great to watch here as well.
    "That gum you like is going to come back in style."

Quote Originally Posted by Paulie View Post
    I love this show and season 3 is off to a good start. Mike was my favorite character on the original and he is great to watch here as well.
    Agree! Jonathan Banks on talk shows seems to still be in character or is doing some killer pimping.

Looking forward to the third season premier of Fargo tomorrow! The teasers have me chomping at the bit.

Someone on here mentioned Hank Azaria's new series, Brockmire, on IFC. Wow, what a hilarious show. Outrageous comedy that you can only get away with on cable. Azaria is fantastic, as is Amanda Peet. The opening scene just hooks you right in.
    Music isn't about chops, or even about talent - it's about sound and the way that sound communicates to people. Mike Keneally

Quote Originally Posted by Yves View Post
    Just finished Season 2 of Better Call Saul. This is truly turning into a very good show! I didn't know what to expect, but the parallel stories of Jimmy and Mike make for a compelling watch!
    Absolutely! BCS is a creeper. And Mike has given me some of my heartiest belly laughs ever. That scene in the parking garage is one of the funniest things ever.

started watching AMC's "The Son", it's a western/Indian thing and pretty good so far.
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    A gentleman is defined as someone who knows how to play the accordion, and doesn't.

Quote Originally Posted by Paulie View Post
    Agreed, season 3 is starting off really good. Bringing Gus into the story is also going to add a whole new element.

Quote Originally Posted by BobM View Post
    started watching AMC's "The Son", it's a western/Indian thing and pretty good so far.
    I watched the first two episodes, and it was better than I was expecting. Looking forward to more.
    Music isn't about chops, or even about talent - it's about sound and the way that sound communicates to people. Mike Keneally

Agreed, season 3 is starting off really good. Bringing Gus into the story is also going to add a whole new element.
    SPOILER ALERT!!

The entire 6 seasons of Breaking Bad is one gigantic spoiler.

I knew Fring would make his way into BCS. I'd actually love to see a scene where Walter White and/or Jesse Pinkman make a cameo...

Better Call Saul is turning into a great show. I just wonder how I can stand watching 1 week at a time. I like binge watching far better. Saul has had two wives by the time BB season 2 occurs. I'm hoping Kim isn't wife number one, as he obviously has enough venom towards wife #1 to make highly disparaging comments to Walter White about her. Talking Saul seems to indicate that they are planning on not doing that to Kim. Saul also appears to go into hiding later on, without any familial attachments - or so it seems. The producers seemed to indicate they have a cure for that. Rea Seahorn was sitting right there on the couch when they talked about it. They did not seem to be willing to send her to the recycle bin anytime soon. They seemed to make it sound like she may still be around in Sauls life during BB.

How many of you think its going to be Mike who puts Hector into that wheelchair? and soon.

Oh, and Pinkman could make several cameos, since he already knew Saul prior to BB. They ought to get him back into the show. He's great, and will never work in any other roles.

Quote Originally Posted by Yves View Post
    SPOILER ALERT!!
    I didn’t put “spoiler” in this one because AMC has been very up front about Gus returning for this season. There have been almost two months of TV add / promos leading up to the new season and Gus has been featured in most of them. I guess I just assumed that any fan of the show would be aware of this since it has not been kept a secret.

If I did spoil it for anyone……..sorry about that.

Im pretty sure Yves was having some fun.

Last night's ep was phenomenal. So much tension. We are in the hands of true auteurs. From the writing and direction to the cinematography to the set design. Just great stuff here.

Quote Originally Posted by progeezer View Post
    The 3rd & final installment of "The Great War' on PBS that aired last night was probably the most agape my mouth was watching any tv for as long as I can remember.

Now I know how much I didn't know about WW1.

1. Woodrow Wilson was the closest thing the US ever had to a draconian dictator in the White House.

2. German-Americans were the Japanese-Americans of WW1, and actually had things happening to them far worse than being interred at camps.

3. The allies may very well have lost the war were it not for 9 Choctaw indians who were the predecessors of the Windtalkers.

There were many more "holy shit!" moments for me than just those.

Very powerful stuff.
    I finished the third segment. Sheesh, Wilson was a real piece of work. I liked one historian saying that here was a man with this great sweeping vision of world peace and yet he was a very narrow little man. Racist, sexist (it's ironic that when he had his stroke his wife practically ran the country), arrogant, and prone to being an authoritarian, complete with his own propaganda machine.
    I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down.'- Bob Newhart

I didn’t put “spoiler” in this one because AMC has been very up front about Gus returning for this season. There have been almost two months of TV add / promos leading up to the new season and Gus has been featured in most of them. I guess I just assumed that any fan of the show would be aware of this since it has not been kept a secret.

If I did spoil it for anyone……..sorry about that.
    I have AMC but never watch it. I watch these things on Netflix so I can binge them. I figure that many characters from BB would find their way onto this show. Hell, we might even see Hank!