Page 35 of 330 FirstFirst ... 253132333435363738394585135 ... LastLast

Thread: Current fav US TV series

Quote Originally Posted by Progatron View Post
    Been really enjoying Big Little Lies and Humans (season 2 now) as well as BBC's Planet Earth 2. Been struggling to get into The Young Pope, hoping it gets better.
    We're up to episode 4 so far.

It's intriguing, artistic, beautifully filmed, and the premise is interesting.

But the story-telling leaves it wanting, and I think it's over-acted. Jude Law is trying too hard to be "Jude Law".

I might watch a few more episodes...
    Regards,

Duncan

Planet Earth II is truly breathtaking at times.
    "My choice early in life was either to be a piano player in a whorehouse or a politician, and to tell the truth, there's hardly any difference"

President Harry S. Truman

Quote Originally Posted by progeezer View Post
    Planet Earth II is truly breathtaking at times.
    Gotta love those - and they're doubly impressive when you ask yourself how T F they got some of those shots!
    Regards,

Duncan

Quote Originally Posted by Duncan Glenday View Post
    We're up to episode 4 so far.

It's intriguing, artistic, beautifully filmed, and the premise is interesting.

But the story-telling leaves it wanting, and I think it's over-acted. Jude Law is trying too hard to be "Jude Law".
    This is exactly how I feel about it. As a result, it keeps getting 'pushed back' when deciding what to watch.
    Interviewer of reprobate ne'er-do-well musicians of the long-haired rock n' roll persuasion at: www.velvetthunder.co.uk and former scribe at Classic Rock Society. Only vaguely aware of anything other than music.

*** Join me in the Garden of Delights for 3 hours of tune-spinning... every Saturday at 5pm EST on Deep Nuggets radio! www.deepnuggets.com ***

Quote Originally Posted by Firth View Post
    Black Mirror on Netflix.Amazing British anthology series with a very intriguing concept. The premise: taking contemporary phenomena (ranging from the wild popularity of talent shows on TV to the impact of social media and smartphones on our lives) as a starting point and speculate how such phenomena could/would evolve in the future. Each episode tells a different story with different protagonists and focuses on a different theme. Of course, the series doesn't explore the beneficial aspects or any positive trends - (where would the fun be in that?) - but clearly approaches its topics from a pessimistic, cynical point of view (hence the title). As the show's creator Charlie Brooker ('Dead Set') puts it: "...They (the different stories) are all about the way we live now – and the way we might be living in 10 minutes' time if we're clumsy."

The resulting mix of bleak sci-fi, drama, satire and black comedy makes for highly intelligent Television and ranks among the most original and entertaining shows I've ever come across. The writing and directing are excellent and the cast includes such talented thesps as Domhnall Gleeson, Rory Kinnear, Toby Kebbell, Hayley Atwell, Jon Hamm, Jason Flemyng and Rupert Everett - to name but a few. Unique, fascinating and highly recommended. 9 stars out of 10.

https://youtu.be/sNLtzUvLZuI
    Yep! Watched them all twice now and eagerly await new episodes..
    "Corn Flakes pissed in. You ranted. Mission accomplished. Thread closed."

-Cozy 3:16-

Quote Originally Posted by moecurlythanu View Post
    A guy at work loves it, and keeps talking it up. However, I have such a low opinion of White Trash, that I can't imagine investing the time into watching a series about them.
    Well it's not Jerry Springer. lol Some interesting and funny characters...a bit over board at times, but I think it's all done purposely. Are alcoholism, and mental health issues that can be brought to light in a comedy series? I dunno, but they try and it is funny. I don't see it as showcasing white trash...more about how kids develop differently when faced with incompetent parenting due to alcohol and mental health. besides all that , character Fiona Gallagher might be the hottest young thing on TV.

Don't let your meatloaf! Paulie's Avatar
    DECENT!! Trailer Park Boys Season 11 starts streaming on Netflix tomorrow. I'm cautiously optimistic.
    "That gum you like is going to come back in style."

Quote Originally Posted by Paulie View Post
    DECENT!! Trailer Park Boys Season 11 starts streaming on Netflix tomorrow. I'm cautiously optimistic.
    It's getting a little long in the tooth. I barely made it through Season 10..

Last night I watched what I believed was the final Downton Abbey and thought it a strange, ambiguous ending. Turns out there is a 6th season so I look forward to more resolutions. I have liked this show more than I thought I would.

hahahaha Den and I LOVED Downton Abby. Don't really know why, but we went through withdaw when we finished lol.

I'm here for the moosic NogbadTheBad's Avatar
    Big fan of Downton Abbey, reminds me of the former family pile, I do miss the staff.
    Ian

Host of the Post-Avant Jazzcore Happy Hour on progrock.com
    https://podcasts.progrock.com/post-a...re-happy-hour/

Gordon Haskell - "You've got to keep the groove in your head and play a load of bollocks instead"
    I blame Wynton, what was the question?
    There are only 10 types of people in the World, those who understand binary and those that don't.

I really enjoyed the way they wrapped up most of the story lines and most of the characters had decent endings. Then it occurred to me that in another decade the economy would collapse and then comes WWII, just in time to harvest all those characters' kids. Yeah, I'm the Debbie Downer of Downton
    I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down.'- Bob Newhart

Quote Originally Posted by Lino View Post
    hahahaha Den and I LOVED Downton Abby. Don't really know why, but we went through withdaw when we finished lol.
    Almost a guilty pleasure for me. For some reason Barb did not feel like watching it so I have watched it alone. I can admit that some episodes left me with moist eyes and a lump in my throat. Just good, quality television. I'll binge watch season 6 the moment it appears on Netflix Canada.

And oh, the things this peasant American wanted to do to Lady Mary.
    I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down.'- Bob Newhart

Quote Originally Posted by Jerjo View Post
    And oh, the things this peasant American wanted to do to Lady Mary.
    You can have her. If I can have Sybill.

Downton Abbey was excellent. Beautifully shot, wonderfully written and with a top notch cast - with the glaring exception of Elizabeth McGovern, who IMO is just terrible. I liked her character (and my wife loved her clothes), but we both agreed that she was the weak link.
    Interviewer of reprobate ne'er-do-well musicians of the long-haired rock n' roll persuasion at: www.velvetthunder.co.uk and former scribe at Classic Rock Society. Only vaguely aware of anything other than music.

*** Join me in the Garden of Delights for 3 hours of tune-spinning... every Saturday at 5pm EST on Deep Nuggets radio! www.deepnuggets.com ***

Quote Originally Posted by Progatron View Post
    You can have her. If I can have Sybill.

Downton Abbey was excellent. Beautifully shot, wonderfully written and with a top notch cast - with the glaring exception of Elizabeth McGovern, who IMO is just terrible. I liked her character (and my wife loved her clothes), but we both agreed that she was the weak link.
    Agreed...enjoyed the whole Downton experience, thought there was nothing like it until we watched the CROWN, absolutely 1st class!
    Dave Sr.

I prefer Nature to Human Nature

Another big Trailer Park Boys fan here. Looking forward to the new season. We actually just watched the last season a couple of months ago. I get that the show has become a bit of a one trick pony, but I still thought the last season was pretty solid for the most part. Mr. Lehy buying a breathalyzer so that he could maintain a constant alcohol level was genius.

Quote Originally Posted by adap2it View Post
    Agreed...enjoyed the whole Downton experience, thought there was nothing like it until we watched the CROWN, absolutely 1st class!
    Yes, also excellent! Loved it.

Quote Originally Posted by SteveSly View Post
    Mr. Lehy buying a breathalyzer so that he could maintain a constant alcohol level was genius.
    Best. Drunk. Ever.

Best. Drunk. Ever.
    I have seen the Trailer Park Boys live show twice. The first time it was just Bubbles, Ricky and Julian which was good, but when they came to town last year they also had Lehey and Randy with them which added a whole new dimension. John Dunsworth (Lehy) is a classically trained actor, and on stage the guy was hilarious as he proceeded to get more and more “drunk” as the show went on of course. He is the best at this shtick there ever was, and some of his interactions with the audience had me in tears I was laughing so hard. In fact both he and Randy spent a good chunk of the show out in the audience just riffing with people. Randy was also hilarious (never wore a shirt the whole show) and of course Bubbles closed the show singing “Closer To The Heart” from Rush and then the whole crowd sang along to “Liquor And Whores”. Highbrow entertainment it ain’t, but damn what a blast that was.

The two topics of conversation currently unfolding on this page could not possibly be further apart on the taste-O-meter.

"Coming next season, a new exciting show about culture shock called Trailer Park Abbey"
    "My choice early in life was either to be a piano player in a whorehouse or a politician, and to tell the truth, there's hardly any difference"

President Harry S. Truman

The two topics of conversation currently unfolding on this page could not possibly be further apart on the taste-O-meter.
    And I like 'em both!

I have The Crown sitting in the on-deck circle, but in true Netflix style, they hit me new episodes of shows I am following, simultaneously. Season 2 of Better Call Saul, and Season 2 of The Last Kingdom. After those, I'll dive into The Crown.

Just finished season 1 of Santa Clarita Diet. I really got a kick out of this. So ridiculous. The dorky neighbor kid had me in tears at least once every episode.

I'm still enjoying The Walking Dead flaws n all. Just started Stranger Things again for some reason hey, I loved it.
    "Who would have thought a whale would be so heavy?" - Moe Sizlak

Quote Originally Posted by progeezer View Post
    "Coming next season, a new exciting show about culture shock called Trailer Park Abbey"
    I guess you will be the lead in that series eh Steve...
    Dave Sr.

I prefer Nature to Human Nature

Santa Clarita Diet turned out to be funnier than I would have expected. Looking forward to Season 2.