Page 34 of 328 FirstFirst ... 243031323334353637384484134 ... LastLast

Thread: Current fav US TV series

Been really enjoying Big Little Lies and Humans (season 2 now) as well as BBC's Planet Earth 2. Been struggling to get into The Young Pope, hoping it gets better.
    Interviewer of reprobate ne'er-do-well musicians of the long-haired rock n' roll persuasion at: www.velvetthunder.co.uk and former scribe at Classic Rock Society. Only vaguely aware of anything other than music.

*** Join me in the Garden of Delights for 3 hours of tune-spinning... every Saturday at 5pm EST on Deep Nuggets radio! www.deepnuggets.com ***

yeah, we've enjoyed Big Little Lies so far as well!

Quote Originally Posted by Progatron View Post
    Been really enjoying Big Little Lies and Humans (season 2 now) as well as BBC's Planet Earth 2. Been struggling to get into The Young Pope, hoping it gets better.
    We watched the first episode of Humans after I read a synopsis about it - we had just finished Westworld. Looked really intriguing. We haven't had a chance to explore further, but it's in the queue.
    Music isn't about chops, or even about talent - it's about sound and the way that sound communicates to people. Mike Keneally

Quote Originally Posted by Scott Bails View Post
    We watched the first episode of Humans after I read a synopsis about it - we had just finished Westworld. Looked really intriguing. We haven't had a chance to explore further, but it's in the queue.
    It's quite good. Was strange seeing "Jen" from The I.T. Crowd in one of the main roles, but I got used to it!
    Interviewer of reprobate ne'er-do-well musicians of the long-haired rock n' roll persuasion at: www.velvetthunder.co.uk and former scribe at Classic Rock Society. Only vaguely aware of anything other than music.

*** Join me in the Garden of Delights for 3 hours of tune-spinning... every Saturday at 5pm EST on Deep Nuggets radio! www.deepnuggets.com ***

Did you not see season 1? I recommended it last year.
    “From thirty feet away she looked like a lot of class. From ten feet away she looked like something made up to be seen from thirty feet away.” – Philip Marlowe

Quote Originally Posted by Hal... View Post
    Did you not see season 1? I recommended it last year.
    That's probably why it was on my radar. And no, haven't had a chance to watch the whole season yet, but definitely interested. I wanted to watch it right after Westworld, since the show seems to explore similar topics and themes, but "too much to watch, too little time."
    Music isn't about chops, or even about talent - it's about sound and the way that sound communicates to people. Mike Keneally

I'm here for the moosic NogbadTheBad's Avatar
    Taboo may be the darkest show I've ever watched.
    Ian

Host of the Post-Avant Jazzcore Happy Hour on progrock.com
    https://podcasts.progrock.com/post-a...re-happy-hour/

Gordon Haskell - "You've got to keep the groove in your head and play a load of bollocks instead"
    I blame Wynton, what was the question?
    There are only 10 types of people in the World, those who understand binary and those that don't.

Banned
    Black Mirror on Netflix.Amazing British anthology series with a very intriguing concept. The premise: taking contemporary phenomena (ranging from the wild popularity of talent shows on TV to the impact of social media and smartphones on our lives) as a starting point and speculate how such phenomena could/would evolve in the future. Each episode tells a different story with different protagonists and focuses on a different theme. Of course, the series doesn't explore the beneficial aspects or any positive trends - (where would the fun be in that?) - but clearly approaches its topics from a pessimistic, cynical point of view (hence the title). As the show's creator Charlie Brooker ('Dead Set') puts it: "...They (the different stories) are all about the way we live now – and the way we might be living in 10 minutes' time if we're clumsy."

The resulting mix of bleak sci-fi, drama, satire and black comedy makes for highly intelligent Television and ranks among the most original and entertaining shows I've ever come across. The writing and directing are excellent and the cast includes such talented thesps as Domhnall Gleeson, Rory Kinnear, Toby Kebbell, Hayley Atwell, Jon Hamm, Jason Flemyng and Rupert Everett - to name but a few. Unique, fascinating and highly recommended. 9 stars out of 10.

https://youtu.be/sNLtzUvLZuI

Don't let your meatloaf! Paulie's Avatar
    Hap & Leonard on the Sundance Channel. Violence has never been this fun. Second season just started up. Check it out.

8 out of 10 'Nilla Wafers.
    "That gum you like is going to come back in style."

Right now we are bingeing like mad dogs on the US version of "Shameless"
    Very highly recommended for fans of twisted dramady. We started on Friday and we're on episode 4 of season 2 lol. Give it a chance ...the first few episodes are good, but it really picks up steam after that.

Big Little Lies continues to impress. Kind of wish I could binge it instead of waiting a week in between! Last two episodes of Humans air tonight!

In the meantime, while I wait for Fargo, Better Call Saul and The Leftovers, all of which are coming back soon, I'll either watch season 2 of The Path which has been building up on the Tivo, or I'll make one last attempt at getting into The Young Pope.

Parrots Ripped My Flesh Dave (in MA)'s Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Lino View Post
    Very highly recommended for fans of twisted dramady. We started on Friday and we're on episode 4 of season 2 lol. Give it a chance ...the first few episodes are good, but it really picks up steam after that.
    I can't believe people would watch that crap. My wife watches that crap. I put on headphones.

Current fav US TV series

Anyone is looking forward to Twin Peaks come back series? I watched movie, season 1 and half of the season 2. I still have to finish it but though I love Lynch's touch I felt like season 2 lost the steam pretty quick.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I'm here for the moosic NogbadTheBad's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Progmatic View Post
    Anyone is looking forward to Twin Peaks come back series? I watched movie, season 1 and half of the season 2. I still have to finish it but though I love Lynch's touch I felt like season 2 lost the steam pretty quick.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Somewhere between cautiously optimistic and guardedly pessimistic.
    Ian

Host of the Post-Avant Jazzcore Happy Hour on progrock.com
    https://podcasts.progrock.com/post-a...re-happy-hour/

Gordon Haskell - "You've got to keep the groove in your head and play a load of bollocks instead"
    I blame Wynton, what was the question?
    There are only 10 types of people in the World, those who understand binary and those that don't.

Quote Originally Posted by Lino View Post
    A guy at work loves it, and keeps talking it up. However, I have such a low opinion of White Trash, that I can't imagine investing the time into watching a series about them.

Quote Originally Posted by moecurlythanu View Post
    A guy at work loves it, and keeps talking it up. However, I have such a low opinion of White Trash, that I can't imagine investing the time into watching a series about them.
    Right. This is where I'm at.

Banned
    In the midst of Hollywood’s frantic race for franchises, we’ve seen reboots for just about every major property under the sun. As one such property, Star Trek has seen a massive resurgence following J.J. Abrams’ three films. Now, the iconic sci-fi franchise will head back to television, with the announcement from CBS that the network will bring Star Trek back as a full-on series.
    http://www.cheatsheet.com/entertainm...tml/?a=viewall

Quote Originally Posted by Firth View Post
    In the midst of Hollywood’s frantic race for franchises, we’ve seen reboots for just about every major property under the sun. As one such property, Star Trek has seen a massive resurgence following J.J. Abrams’ three films. Now, the iconic sci-fi franchise will head back to television, with the announcement from CBS that the network will bring Star Trek back as a full-on series.
    http://www.cheatsheet.com/entertainm...tml/?a=viewall
    Good luck. They're betting that Star Trek fans will be willing to pay to watch their show. I'm not seeing it.

Banned
    Good luck. They're betting that Star Trek fans will be willing to pay to watch their show. I'm not seeing it.
    The show was originally slated for a January 2017 release, but was later pushed to May 2017, with the first episode airing on the regular CBS network. All the episodes following the premiere will then air exclusively on CBS All Access, an on-demand service that will run users $5.99 a month. All Access is currently live now, and features all past episodes of every Star Trek series.

Fortunately, Trekkies who don’t have a CBS All Access subscription will still be able to see the new series. Netflix announced that, “Each episode of the new series will be available globally within 24 hours of its U.S. premiere.”

Banned
    As long as the local broadcasters and cable companies have any say, you won't see 4K HDR either. Bet you that the Netflix version is 4K HDR. And also the CBS All Access.

Anyone else watching FX's "Feud-Betty & Joan" w/J Lange & S Sarandon?

It's become a classic case of art imitating life. When "Baby Jane" was made, there was a big blowup by Crawford when Davis was nominated for a best actress Oscar & she wasn't.

Both Lange & Sarandon are delivering Emmy-worthy performances imo, but will more than likely cancel each other out if/when (imo) they're both nominated.
    Last edited by progeezer; 03-20-2017 at 12:51 PM.
    "My choice early in life was either to be a piano player in a whorehouse or a politician, and to tell the truth, there's hardly any difference"

President Harry S. Truman

Quote Originally Posted by progeezer View Post
    Anyone else watching FX's "Feud-Betty & Joan" w/J Lange & S Sarandon?

It's become a classic case of art imitating life. When "Baby Jane" was made, there was a big blowup by Crawford when Davis was nominated for a best actress Oscar & she wasn't.

Both Lange & Sarandon are delivering Emmy-worthy performances imo, but will more than likely will cancel each other out if/when (imo) they're both nominated.
    My girlfriend wants to watch it, so it's waiting on the DVR. Good to hear that it's enjoyable.

Parrots Ripped My Flesh Dave (in MA)'s Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Firth View Post
    Fortunately, Trekkies who don’t have a CBS All Access subscription will still be able to see the new series. Netflix announced that, “Each episode of the new series will be available globally within 24 hours of its U.S. premiere.”
    Good to hear. I hope it's more like TOS, Enterprise and the Chris Pine movies than like the comparatively boring other 3 series.

Member since March 2004 mozo-pg's Avatar
    The U.S. version of Shameless has 5 sessions on Netflix in Canada. I've binged watched 2.5 of the seasons recently. What an incredible show - Bill Macy has one classic and very funny line to the next.

Swamp People.........

Choot 'im!!!!!!!