Page 27 of 328 FirstFirst ... 172324252627282930313777127 ... LastLast

Thread: Current fav US TV series

Quote Originally Posted by NogbadTheBad View Post
    So I just got access to Netflix to watch Stranger Things and Jessica Jones, anything else I should be watching?
    Big fan of Narcos , Marco Polo, and The Killing.
    "Corn Flakes pissed in. You ranted. Mission accomplished. Thread closed."

-Cozy 3:16-

The first two seasons of House of Cards, all those Brit crime shows like The Fall, Wallander, Hinterlands, etc.
    I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down.'- Bob Newhart

Don't let your meatloaf! Paulie's Avatar
    Westworld was a fantastic mind-fuck. Loved it!

Netflix:
    Other than the usual (but excellent) suspects (House of Cards, Orange is the New Black, Stranger Things, Hemlock Grove, Blood Lines), here are my "dig-deep" picks:

The Fall (3 seasons) - Brit serial killer cat & mouse. Very good. With Gillian Anderson
    Top of the Lake (1 season) - New Zealand missing person mystery. With Elisabeth Moss (Mad Men) and Holly Hunter
    The Returned (2 seasons) - French. Unique spin on the zombie genre. VERY good and beautifully shot. Subtitled.
    Trailer Park Boys (10 seasons, 3 or 4 movies, avoid the specials) - Over the top Canadian spoof on reality TV. Hilariously out there.
    Last edited by Paulie; 12-06-2016 at 01:30 PM.
    "That gum you like is going to come back in style."

If you're into animated humour then I suggest:

Bojack Horseman
    Archer
    Brickleberry
    Pacific Heat (just started watching this one...)
    "Corn Flakes pissed in. You ranted. Mission accomplished. Thread closed."

-Cozy 3:16-

I just got caught-up with Designated Survivor and am really enjoying it. I'm dying to see the next episode every time I watch - always the sign of a good show.
    Music isn't about chops, or even about talent - it's about sound and the way that sound communicates to people. Mike Keneally

Damn, I forgot about Archer. One of the funniest comedies of this decade.

My wife was watching Play Misty for Me, the old Clint Eastwood thriller. At one point when Jessica Walter was onscreen I made a crack about her son, Sterling. My wife looked at me and I said she's the voice of Mallory Archer. She had never put that together for some reason. Then she couldn't get it out of her head while watching the rest of the movie.
    I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down.'- Bob Newhart

Quote Originally Posted by Dave the Brave View Post
    Westworld series 1 wrapped up Sunday and next season won't start till maybe 2018.

Any thoughts on this fantastic series?

DtB
    I have not had the chance to watch the finale yet, but I am hearing nothing but rave reviews. Hope to get to it sometime this week.

Quote Originally Posted by Paulie View Post
    Prog Sighting: Anyone check out HBO's Divorce yet? Some good laughs along with some solid music selection. Ep 3 included a sulking Thomas Haden Church listening to Owner of a Lonely Heart while reading the liner notes to The Yes Album.
    Anyone saw him in the last episode (8-9 minutes in) lecturing his young daughter about Tales, Jon Anderson, Rick Wakeman leaving Yes, 20 min long songs and ELP? When did we last see such a prominent prog reference in a major TV show? Looking forward to seening more of that.
    Check out my concert videos on my youtube channel: http://www.youtube.com/user/broadaccent

Don't let your meatloaf! Paulie's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Smörgåsbord View Post
    Anyone saw him in the last episode (8-9 minutes in) lecturing his young daughter about Tales, Jon Anderson, Rick Wakeman leaving Yes, 20 min long songs and ELP? When did we last see such a prominent prog reference in a major TV show? Looking forward to seening more of that.
    Yep. Funny shit!
    "That gum you like is going to come back in style."

All you guys talking about Westworld missed a few selling points: Thandie Newton!!!, co-created by Jonathan Nolan (Memento, Person of Interest, The Prestige, The Dark Knight, etc) and co-executive produced by JJ Abrams.

Man, you guys suck.

Show is fantastic, if a bit slow at times.

Quote Originally Posted by JKL2000 View Post
    In this latest episode, pretty sure during the scene where the guy who's the main programmer - don't remember his name - has to go down below for some reason, forget why, I'm pretty sure I saw a figure that was supposed to be Yul Brynner's gunslinger from the original movie in the background. Anyone else notice this? The exact same stance.
    Yeah, I saw that too. I think it was the stance that gave it away.

Quote Originally Posted by Sunlight Caller View Post
    It's always fun spotting such connections. I have noticed that the player piano in the bar in Westworld is often playing Radiohead tunes, which I think is very cool!
    I also heard Soundgarden's "Black Hole Sun", the Stones' "Paint it Black", the Animals' "House of the Rising Sun", and something by Debussy.
    “From thirty feet away she looked like a lot of class. From ten feet away she looked like something made up to be seen from thirty feet away.” – Philip Marlowe

Parrots Ripped My Flesh Dave (in MA)'s Avatar
    Homeland fans, check this out:
    http://mattsoncreative.com/blog/2012...record-covers/

I stumbled across it when poking around for something in the 'album jackets' thread.

Have been power watching "How to Get Away With Murder" after ignoring it for too long. I mean, you gotta suspend reality, but man, it's intense. Den and I have thoroughly enjoyed the first two seasons!

Quote Originally Posted by Hal... View Post
    I also heard Soundgarden's "Black Hole Sun", the Stones' "Paint it Black", the Animals' "House of the Rising Sun", and something by Debussy.
    Also Nine Inch Nails' "Something I Can Never Have". I named that tune in three notes!
    Interviewer of reprobate ne'er-do-well musicians of the long-haired rock n' roll persuasion at: www.velvetthunder.co.uk and former scribe at Classic Rock Society. Only vaguely aware of anything other than music.

*** Join me in the Garden of Delights for 3 hours of tune-spinning... every Saturday at 5pm EST on Deep Nuggets radio! www.deepnuggets.com ***

I like a lot of the "reality" stuff. The History Channel has one on currently called Alone, where they drop people off in Patagonia to try and survive on their own. It's on Thursday nights.

On A & E Leah Remini has had a short series about Scientology. Hard they can get away with what they do to hound people bordering the criminal.

Quote Originally Posted by hippypants View Post
    On A & E Leah Remini has had a short series about Scientology. Hard they can get away with what they do to hound people bordering the criminal.
    I watched the first episode of that. Not trying to break any forum rules here, but I can't see how that isn't considered to be a cult. I get that it can be a fine line, but if the stories are true, their methods are borderline criminal.
    Music isn't about chops, or even about talent - it's about sound and the way that sound communicates to people. Mike Keneally

I've been watching Leah Remini's peek behind the bizarro Scientology curtain, and it's scary.

It surprises me that people who are full of their own self-worth, whether or not their self-assessment is accurate (Tom Cruise & John Travolta come to mind) would sublimate themselves to some avaricious demigod(s) to become. in the words of a Nobel laureate, "only a pawn in their game".

While the Dianetics douchebags work figuratively as opposed to literally, it looks like Scientology and the Jonestown 900+ have a lot in common.
    "My choice early in life was either to be a piano player in a whorehouse or a politician, and to tell the truth, there's hardly any difference"

President Harry S. Truman

Undue influence, cognitive dissonance, thought stopping, brainwashing. All very powerful and very real. Oh yeah, and a very flimsy IRS. For those who are interested, go here for a daily dose of what's behind the curtain of the most destructive cult in America, if not the world:

http://tonyortega.org/

Quote Originally Posted by Scott Bails View Post
    I watched the first episode of that. Not trying to break any forum rules here, but I can't see how that isn't considered to be a cult. I get that it can be a fine line, but if the stories are true, their methods are borderline criminal.
    Not even borderline criminal. Totally criminal in some cases.

Don't have time to get into details but I have been investigating Scientology for many years.

DtB

Scientology has the dirt on Cruise, Travolta and many more.
    It's fear that keeps them there.

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt4257858/

DtB

Quote Originally Posted by Dave the Brave View Post
    Scientology has the dirt on Cruise, Travolta and many more.
    It's fear that keeps them there.

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt4257858/

DtB
    Not to mention that some of the loony celebrity whales are true believers - especially Nancy Cartwright (Bart Simpson).

Ummmm.... It is possible that Scientology "has the dirt" on Travolta, Cruise, and so many more ... it is also possible (just *possible*) that their egoes are much more fragile than you think, and the "special treatment" the CoS provides for celebrities turns their heads.
    Cobra handling and cocaine use are a bad mix.

Quote Originally Posted by Sturgeon's Lawyer View Post
    Ummmm.... It is possible that Scientology "has the dirt" on Travolta, Cruise, and so many more ... it is also possible (just *possible*) that their egoes are much more fragile than you think, and the "special treatment" the CoS provides for celebrities turns their heads.
    Bottom line - it doesn't really matter. What does matter, however, is that the cult scammed/bribed its way to a 501(c)(3) tax exemption which allows them to hide behind 1st amendment rights as it abuses people while it claims to be all in on human rights. That, and what every taxpayer in America should be concerned with - these whales get a tax deduction for their "donations" and the "church" pays no taxes whatsoever on its billions in assets. Why should you care, you ask? The cost of running this country is fixed. So if these (and other) fools aren't paying their fair share, who exactly do you think the IRS comes after relentlessly to make up the difference?

British documentary maker Louis Theroux made a movie on Scientology last year, it is typically light-touch but does expose their bizarre and controlling methods. It's an interesting and diverting watch if it ever pops up on your networks.

Yeah, I don't fully grasp, if you're an adult, what the lure to Scientology is, but I'm sure it's many. Some might be trying to solve a problem, some a bit of ego, someone that's gullible, some a social status and job seeking thing (Hollywood), and probably many other reasons. If you're a kid and brought into it via your parents, then you are more or less captured and programmed from an early age. But they also make it hard to leave, so if you're a parent, they still keep your kids (they more or less separate one's kids from the parents early on so they don't interact much--you'd think that would be an early red flag as well for the parents), plus the harassment, etc.

Still as an adult once you get past the initial introduction, it's hard for me to see the attraction, over say a typical church, as they would have some of the same features: social circle, etc. I'll say one thing about Scientology, they have down their brainwashing and ways to keep people there down to a fine art.

Quote Originally Posted by Sunlight Caller View Post
    British documentary maker Louis Theroux made a movie on Scientology last year, it is typically light-touch but does expose their bizarre and controlling methods. It's an interesting and diverting watch if it ever pops up on your networks.
    You beat me to it. I really enjoyed the film, very interesting stuff.