Thread: Current fav US TV series

Quote Originally Posted by Progatron View Post
    I wish I had missed it. Or rather, I wish I had recorded it and FF'ed through the vast majority of it. I'm sure I'd have it down to about 10 minutes.

I thought Odenkirk had it. But I would have been happy with either of the Succession actors, particularly Jeremy Strong who is outstanding.

I'm not crazy about him. I did like some of what he did on SNL and his character on 30 Rock. I'm really not terribly interested in Ted Lasso, is the problem. I might watch Squid Game though.
    Ted Lasso is really good. Just saying. I was against watching it and someone who's TV recommendations I always take, told me I had to watch it. I'm glad I did.

I was pleased to see Jean Smart win (Hacks is excellent)
    We just finished Season 2 of Hacks last night, and I'm very happy that Jean Smart was recognized. Her performance in that show is just stellar, and it's great that an older woman gets such a great role and then goes and just crushes it.

Apparently Ted Lasso is the greatest thing since sliced bread, so I'll have to finally check it out.
    Quote Originally Posted by Moribund2 View Post
    Ted Lasso is really good. Just saying. I was against watching it and someone who's TV recommendations I always take, told me I had to watch it. I'm glad I did.
    I love Ted Lasso. And I think I'm as jaded as they come, but I still like to watch shows that don't take themselves too seriously and have heart. For some, I imagine it's cheesy and hokey, but it's a nice respite from what I typically watch. Sudeikis, Brett Goldstein and Hannah Waddingham are all fantastic.
    Music isn't about chops, or even about talent - it's about sound and the way that sound communicates to people. Mike Keneally

Quote Originally Posted by Scott Bails View Post
    Sudeikis, Brett Goldstein and Hannah Waddingham are all fantastic.
    Speaking of Hannah Waddingham, imagine my surprise when my wife told me she was the septa in Game Of Thrones ('Shame... shame.. shame...') I would never have recognized her!
    Interviewer of reprobate ne'er-do-well musicians of the long-haired rock n' roll persuasion at: www.velvetthunder.co.uk and former scribe at Classic Rock Society. Only vaguely aware of anything other than music.

'The best stuff is really when Mick Pointer was a baby, banging on pots and pans. That was their most "out there" stuff.' - JKL2000

I I might watch Squid Game though.
    Although it has some minor flaws the wife and I both really enjoyed Squid Game. Well worth watching IMO.

Okay, so how's this for fucked up?

I discovered yesterday that DirecTV got rid of their old app and launched a new one, which no longer supports Fire Stick and Roku. Here's what someone said on Reddit:

I have direct tv at home. I have a roku box that I take with me when I travel. I used to have the direct tv app on my roku to stream live tv. Recently direct tv launched its new directv stream app which is a paid subscription tv streaming app. And removed the regular directv app from roku. I couldn't find anything on Google. Is directv stream free since I am a current directv subscriber? I don't want to have to pay for the app just for when I travel.

Someone from DirecTV replied with a link to supported devices for the new app, which turns out are only Apple and Android phones and tablets. So the answer to the poster's question is "no".

Regarding their new app, apparently it sucks. You should see all the negative comments on Google Play where it has only an average 3.4 rating; 36% of users gave it 1 or 2 stars. That's pretty pathetic for a a company that made over $2.7 billion in profits last year.

Fortunately, cable channels and premium services usually have their own apps so if you want to stream something you subscribe to via DirecTV, you have to use the other app and use your DirecTV login.

At least Xfinity has their own app so you can watch most channels live through a Fire Stick or Roku.
    Many years ago, I started a misanthropic club. I'm still the only member.

Quote Originally Posted by Hal... View Post
    Okay, so how's this for fucked up?

I discovered yesterday that DirecTV got rid of their old app and launched a new one, which no longer supports Fire Stick and Roku. Here's what someone said on Reddit:

I have direct tv at home. I have a roku box that I take with me when I travel. I used to have the direct tv app on my roku to stream live tv. Recently direct tv launched its new directv stream app which is a paid subscription tv streaming app. And removed the regular directv app from roku. I couldn't find anything on Google. Is directv stream free since I am a current directv subscriber? I don't want to have to pay for the app just for when I travel.

Someone from DirecTV replied with a link to supported devices for the new app, which turns out are only Apple and Android phones and tablets. So the answer to the poster's question is "no".

Regarding their new app, apparently it sucks. You should see all the negative comments on Google Play where it has only an average 3.4 rating; 36% of users gave it 1 or 2 stars. That's pretty pathetic for a a company that made over $2.7 billion in profits last year.

Fortunately, cable channels and premium services usually have their own apps so if you want to stream something you subscribe to via DirecTV, you have to use the other app and use your DirecTV login.

At least Xfinity has their own app so you can watch most channels live through a Fire Stick or Roku.

I thought that the Direct TV STBs were to double as streaming boxes and host apps. Apple created an app that is supported on different HW.
    On the verge of indecision
    I'll always take the roundabout way

I finally watched this week's episode today and chuckled or lol maybe a dozen times. I thought it was the funniest episode in quite a while.
    Finally had the chance to watch this one last night. All I can say is "Oh My........"

We finished season 3 of “The Umbrella Academy” last night. I liked the first season quite a bit, but seasons 2 & 3 went downhill for me. The “Wedding” episode was torture to sit through. You must check your brain at the door for this series as much of it makes no logical sense. The basic story is ok, but there is just so much filler such as the numerous dance scenes they throw in for no apparent reason. There are also endless montages with music in the background just taking up time. I don’t mind that when used here and there, but ‘UA” uses several of these in every single episode. They are going to do a season 4 which will be the finale of the series. I will probably watch it when it comes out, but I think this show could be a lot better than it is. “The Boys” blows “UA” out of the water IMO.

Finally gave up on The Wire. Sure the acting was great but the story was taking forever to develop. Nothing happened after 7 episodes. Enough.

Tried to find something to watch and gave Devil In Ohio a shot. This was one of the dumbest, crappiest shows I’ve seen in memory. Shut it off halfway through the second episode. Poorly acted, poor dialogue and incredibly predictable. I kept calling out exactly what was going to happen and I was right every time, scene after scene. You’ve seen it all before many times. It was scripted and directed by the author of the book it was taken from so there is no excuse. I don’t understand how Netflix put this garbage on the air. My new theory is it was actually a comedy and I didn’t get the jokes.

Quote Originally Posted by LASERCD View Post
    Finally gave up on The Wire. Sure the acting was great but the story was taking forever to develop. Nothing happened after 7 episodes. Enough.

Tried to find something to watch and gave Devil In Ohio a shot. This was one of the dumbest, crappiest shows I’ve seen in memory. Shut it off halfway through the second episode. Poorly acted, poor dialogue and incredibly predictable. I kept calling out exactly what was going to happen and I was right every time, scene after scene. You’ve seen it all before many times. It was scripted and directed by the author of the book it was taken from so there is no excuse. I don’t understand how Netflix put this garbage on the air. My new theory is it was actually a comedy and I didn’t get the jokes.
    Devil In Ohio was so awful, but you're a better and smarter man than me...I watched every episode After episode 2 it just kept getting worse and worse, but I found enough of a curiously creepy vibe to stick around despite its increasing lameness. Maybe I was just torturing myself for starting it in the first place

LOVED The Wire though. In my top 10 favorite shows ever...easily.
    "Who would have thought a whale would be so heavy?" - Moe Sizlak

We started watching "The Resort" on Peacock last night. 4 episodes in I am enjoying it. I was not sure after the first episode, but the show has drawn me in and they have thrown in enough twists and surprises that I have no clue where they are going.

Quote Originally Posted by Klonk View Post

LOVED The Wire though. In my top 10 favorite shows ever...easily.
    I also think it is one of the greatest dramas of all time (I would probably have it top 3), but it is not for everyone I guess.

I watched the first two episodes of the documentary series Welcome to Wrexham.
    Rob McElhenney (It’s Always Sunny in Philadelphia) and Ryan Reynolds (Deadpool) navigate running the 3rd oldest professional football club in the world. Welcome to Wrexham is a docuseries tracking the dreams and worries of Wrexham, a working-class town in North Wales, UK, as two Hollywood stars take ownership of the town’s historic yet struggling football club
    Damn, this is gripping. I'm going all in on this one.
    I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down.'- Bob Newhart

Quote Originally Posted by LASERCD View Post

Disagree on The Wire but different strokes is just fine. Devil in Ohio I lasted 3 episodes before slapping myself back to reality.
    Duncan's going to make a Horns Emoticon!!!

Anyone for Quantum Leap? I thought the pilot wasn't great, wasn't awful just somewhere in between. Did like they aren't trying to create a new show they are piggy-backing off the original and all that lore exists. Ziggy and Gushy, et al.
    Carry On My Blood-Ejaculating Son - JKL2000

Quote Originally Posted by TheLoony View Post
    Anyone for Quantum Leap? I thought the pilot wasn't great, wasn't awful just somewhere in between. Did like they aren't trying to create a new show they are piggy-backing off the original and all that lore exists. Ziggy and Gushy, et al.
    I found it worth my time. The original was basically Scott Bakula, Dean Stockwell, and a host of guest stars. Only in the episode in which Sam leaped home did we get a glimpse of the home base. And all those involved. The continuation in the reboot appears it will include all of them as an integral part of the series. And there is a bit of mystery why Ben leapt in the first place. Only he knew, and he forgot when his memory got scrambled by the leap.
    "Well my son, life is like a beanstalk, isn't it?"--Dalai Lama

We are trying to figure out what to watch next. Been curious about the Netflix series "Shadow And Bone". Anyone seen it and if so what did you think?

I'm here for the moosic NogbadTheBad's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by SteveSly View Post
    We are trying to figure out what to watch next. Been curious about the Netflix series "Shadow And Bone". Anyone seen it and if so what did you think?
    It was quite fun.
    Ian

Host of the Post-Avant Jazzcore Happy Hour on progrock.com
    https://podcasts.progrock.com/post-a...re-happy-hour/

Gordon Haskell - "You've got to keep the groove in your head and play a load of bollocks instead"
    I blame Wynton, what was the question?
    There are only 10 types of people in the World, those who understand binary and those that don't.

We just started Archive 81 on Netflix. Very creepy, two episodes in. Looking forward to seeing how it develops.
    Music isn't about chops, or even about talent - it's about sound and the way that sound communicates to people. Mike Keneally

Dead to Me, the 3rd and Final Season comes to Netflix November 17th.

https://twitter.com/deadtome/status/1573739795108487176

Subterranean Tapir Hobo Chang Ba's Avatar
    ^ finally!
    Please don't ask questions, just use google.

Never let good music get in the way of making a profit.

I'm only here to reglaze my bathtub.

Quote Originally Posted by mnprogger View Post
    WTH took them so long?

https://twitter.com/deadtome/status/1573739795108487176
    I didn't make it through season 2. I thought the first season was pretty good (my wife liked it better than I did), but they lost me completely in season 2.

WTH took them so long?
    COVID of course and also the fact Christina Applegate was diagnosed with MS contributed.

COVID of course and also the fact Christina Applegate was diagnosed with MS contributed.
    Oh dear. I didn't know about that. Poor woman.