Page 239 of 330 FirstFirst ... 139189229235236237238239240241242243249289 ... LastLast
Results 5,951 to 5,975 of 8227

Thread: Current fav US TV series

Quote Originally Posted by Just Eric View Post
    Back to the Star Trek films, I am not a connoisseur of the series and probably let much more slip through (suspended belief) than most. I will say that the film music for the entire universe has been top notch from the beginning, including both TV and Movies. Here is the roster of Star Trek composers -

Jerry Fielding - Original Series episodes. Known for The Wild Bunch, Straw Dogs, The Mechanic and many other well known 1970's movies.

Jerry Goldsmith - Five of the movies, TNG and Voyager themes. Known for being one of the most kick-ass composers ever.

Michael Giacchino - The JJ Abrams movies. A modern day Goldsmith known for an Oscar for Up, most of the Pixar films (the ones Randy Newman didn't score), being JJ Abrams "go to" composer, Rogue One, many Marvel movies, the latter Planet of the Apes movies, and TV work including Lost, Alias, Fringe

James Horner - Wrath of Khan and Search for Spock. Known for being James Cameron's composing partner and too much to list.

Leonard Rosenman - The Voyage Home. Known for the Oscar for The Voyage Home, every other Planet of the Apes movies' original run (Jerry Goldsmith composed the "others" in the every other), a bunch of super cool films, like Fantastic Voyage, Rebel Without A Cause, Barry Lyndon, The Jazz Singer, Robocop 2

and finally, Jeff Russo - Discovery and Picard. Noted TV composer with credits spanning Fargo, Lucifer, Discovery, Altered Carbon, Santa Clarita Diet, Picard, Brand New Cherry Flavor
    Oh yeah, Ive got the soundtrack to the first 4 star trek films on vinyl, as well as the motion picture, 5, 6 and first contact on CD, as well as a complilation called "the astral symphony"
    Eagles may soar, but weasels don't get sucked into jet engines.

Just finished the new Ken Burns film on Benjamin Franklin. As always, Burns does a fantastic job and I really enjoyed it. I thought he provided a pretty balanced look at Franklin’s life and both his many accomplishments and his failings. It is well worth watching for any fans of Ken Burns films.

Franklin is probably my favorite of the Founders (the only other candidate being John Adams), but, yeah, he had his failings -- though he tried to be ethical even about them. He couldn't keep it in his pants, so he was good about providing for his bastards....
    Cobra handling and cocaine use are a bad mix.

Barry 3rd season premier tonight.....allegedly

Quote Originally Posted by Sturgeon's Lawyer View Post
    Franklin is probably my favorite of the Founders (the only other candidate being John Adams), but, yeah, he had his failings -- though he tried to be ethical even about them. He couldn't keep it in his pants, so he was good about providing for his bastards....
    His family life was often a shambles. He was overseas when his wife died, he butted heads with his son for his whole life, and he cheated on his wife. He was also a slave owner, although by the end of his life had reversed his stance on that. I had to read his autobiography when I was in college. Interesting stuff, but I thought the doc presented a pretty balanced portrait.

Quote Originally Posted by nycsteve View Post
    I have my DVR set up.

Conversations with a Killer: The John Wayne Gacy Tapes--there have already been many bios about this sick guy, and this one sheds a bit more light on the subject. It was interesting to hear some of the survivors who encountered him early on, yet survived to tell about it and him on Netflix.

Quote Originally Posted by hippypants View Post
    Conversations with a Killer: The John Wayne Gacy Tapes--there have already been many bios about this sick guy, and this one sheds a bit more light on the subject. It was interesting to hear some of the survivors who encountered him early on, yet survived to tell about it and him on Netflix.
    Almost watched this the other night, but wasn't in a serial killer mood. That will be probably for tonight because tomorrow is monday

Murderville...an improv comedy series on Netflix with Will Arnett featuring a new famous guest each episode. I'm sure it will be hit or miss as improv is, but the first one with Conan O'Brien was great.
    "Who would have thought a whale would be so heavy?" - Moe Sizlak

I have a tape in the Betamax ready to go!
    Duncan's going to make a Horns Emoticon!!!

Subterranean Tapir Hobo Chang Ba's Avatar
    Oh good.

I may wait a couple weeks to be able to binge a couple episodes together though.
    Please don't ask questions, just use google.

Never let good music get in the way of making a profit.

I'm only here to reglaze my bathtub.

Barry was good as always, but thank god for 'last season on...' recaps! I had forgotten so much. It's weird for me to be simultaneously watching two current series with Michael Irby. He's the (somewhat) flamboyantly gay Cristobal in Barry, but the leader of the biker gang in Mayans M.C.
    Interviewer of reprobate ne'er-do-well musicians of the long-haired rock n' roll persuasion at: www.velvetthunder.co.uk and former scribe at Classic Rock Society. Only vaguely aware of anything other than music.

*** Join me in the Garden of Delights for 3 hours of tune-spinning... every Saturday at 5pm EST on Deep Nuggets radio! www.deepnuggets.com ***

Quote Originally Posted by hippypants View Post
    That one is on my radar to watch when I get the chance.

We are visiting with some friends right now and they convinced us to give the CBS show "Ghosts" a try. Fricking hilarious! We burned through 4 episodes last night and really enjoying it.

Halo, on Paramount+. It's based on the video game, which I've never played but always thought looked kinda good. I've watched a couple episodes, now, and I'm not sure what to think about it.

So far, it's been about a "Spartan" (an enhanced soldier) who sort of goes AWOL to save a teenage girl after everyone on her planet was wiped out by an alien race. Spartans work for the United Nations Space Command, who is in a war with the Covenant, which includes the aliens.

It's got me interested enough that I'll keep watching, for the time being, but it also has a vague lower budget feel to it, even though it's partially produced by Showtime and Amblin and one of the exec producers is Steven Spielberg. It stars Pablo Schreiber (who I recognized from Orange is the New Black), Natascha McElhone (Ronin), and Bokeem Woodbine (Dead Presidents, Devil, and season 2 of Fargo). I didn't recognize any of the other actors.

On RottenTomatoes, it has a 69% critic rating and a 55% audience rating. That's a bit underwhelming.
    “From thirty feet away she looked like a lot of class. From ten feet away she looked like something made up to be seen from thirty feet away.” – Philip Marlowe

yeah I heard Halo is pretty bad -- video game film//tv show adaptations are usually fairly awful unfortunately. Netflix's animated "Castlevania" was pretty solid though

I'm here for the moosic NogbadTheBad's Avatar
    Anyone checking out We Own This City?
    Ian

Host of the Post-Avant Jazzcore Happy Hour on progrock.com
    https://podcasts.progrock.com/post-a...re-happy-hour/

Gordon Haskell - "You've got to keep the groove in your head and play a load of bollocks instead"
    I blame Wynton, what was the question?
    There are only 10 types of people in the World, those who understand binary and those that don't.

Quote Originally Posted by NogbadTheBad View Post
    If it's David Simon, I'm in.

Member since March 2004 mozo-pg's Avatar
    I'm just starting session 3 of Bosch. Session two was not as strong as one but it was still quite good. Looking forward to three.
    What can this strange device be? When I touch it, it brings forth a sound (2112)

I mean this is partly speculation, since Its Always Sunny in Philadelphia is still signed through season 18 -- but Charlie Day says season 16 may be the last

https://www.cheatsheet.com/entertain...its-last.html/

anyone else a fan of the show? Currently enjoying the podcast a lot too

Quote Originally Posted by NogbadTheBad View Post
    It just started so not yet but hells yeah, I'm down with what those Balto guys do cause they do it so well. They really do know their city. It's like anything Billy Corben from Miami does, he may be a bit crazy and ALWAYS take the underdog fight, and mostly loses, of course, but he's must watch.

Anyone doing season three of Barry? I don't know where I left off and I can't get diddly squat from On Demand but I'm down with this also. NoHo Hank is one of my favorite, super great characters of all time.
    Carry On My Blood-Ejaculating Son - JKL2000

Quote Originally Posted by IMWeasel View Post
    I mean this is partly speculation, since Its Always Sunny in Philadelphia is still signed through season 18 -- but Charlie Day says season 16 may be the last

anyone else a fan of the show?
    Yes, although I've found the last couple of seasons to be going downhill. There are only so many things you can do with these characters after so long, as with many shows IMO.

Quote Originally Posted by TheLoony View Post
    Anyone doing season three of Barry?
    We've just been talking about it right on this page and the previous one...
    Interviewer of reprobate ne'er-do-well musicians of the long-haired rock n' roll persuasion at: www.velvetthunder.co.uk and former scribe at Classic Rock Society. Only vaguely aware of anything other than music.

*** Join me in the Garden of Delights for 3 hours of tune-spinning... every Saturday at 5pm EST on Deep Nuggets radio! www.deepnuggets.com ***

Better Call Saul was typically intense tonight!

Very excited to have Ozark returning this week, and Hacks returning May 12 as well. Lots of great stuff coming up.

Quote Originally Posted by TheLoony View Post
    It just started so not yet but hells yeah, I'm down with what those Balto guys do cause they do it so well. They really do know their city. It's like anything Billy Corben from Miami does, he may be a bit crazy and ALWAYS take the underdog fight, and mostly loses, of course, but he's must watch.

Anyone doing season three of Barry? I don't know where I left off and I can't get diddly squat from On Demand but I'm down with this also. NoHo Hank is one of my favorite, super great characters of all time.
    Caught #1 of season3 , Barry. Promising. I'm still in.

Quote Originally Posted by Progatron View Post
    Better Call Saul was typically intense tonight!

Very excited to have Ozark returning this week, and Hacks returning May 12 as well. Lots of great stuff coming up.
    Too much good stuff on right now. Can't keep up with it all.

GaaAAaAahhh! I'm in Germany for two weeks and didn't prepare for international streaming. I will be sticking my fingers in my ears and singing LA LA LA LA LA real loud to avoid spoilers.
    Duncan's going to make a Horns Emoticon!!!