Page 22 of 328 FirstFirst ... 121819202122232425263272122 ... LastLast

Thread: Current fav US TV series

All Things Must Pass spellbound's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Calabasas_Trafalgar View Post
    best thing on right now is Braindead...
    It is. I had low expectations, being as it's a summer series, but it is proving me wrong.
    We're trying to build a monument to show that we were here
    It won't be visible through the air
    And there won't be any shade to cool the monument to prove that we were here. - Gene Parsons, 1973

Highly Evolved Orangutan JKL2000's Avatar
    Stranger Things must already have been discussed here, right? I finally read and heard so many mentions of it I had to check it out so I watched the first two episodes last night. My wife already binged on the whole first season so she rewatched with me.
    I want to avoid spoilers since I thought it was pretty engaging and I want to find out what's going on, but it seems to be copying things that came before so much that I'm a little worried there's not going to be anything unique or surprising about it.

Quote Originally Posted by JKL2000 View Post
    Stranger Things must already have been discussed here, right? I finally read and heard so many mentions of it I had to check it out so I watched the first two episodes last night. My wife already binged on the whole first season so she rewatched with me.
    I want to avoid spoilers since I thought it was pretty engaging and I want to find out what's going on, but it seems to be copying things that came before so much that I'm a little worried there's not going to be anything unique or surprising about it.
    My review: Stranger Things.

Altho, now that I think about it, I'm not sure an orangutan would appreciate it. A chimp or gorilla, yes, but an orang? Not so sure about that.

“From thirty feet away she looked like a lot of class. From ten feet away she looked like something made up to be seen from thirty feet away.” – Philip Marlowe

Quote Originally Posted by Hal... View Post
    My review: Stranger Things.

Altho, now that I think about it, I'm not sure an orangutan would appreciate it. A chimp or gorilla, yes, but an orang? Not so sure about that.

Does your review include spoilers?

Does your review include spoilers?
    Nope.
    “From thirty feet away she looked like a lot of class. From ten feet away she looked like something made up to be seen from thirty feet away.” – Philip Marlowe

The Duffer Bros homages were 100% intentional - several Stephen King books/movies, John Carpenter, Steven Speilberg, Star Wars, and many more. If you watch closely there's so many Easter Eggs scattered throughout the scenes, both in the front and center action as well as in the set design. There've been a few web sites devoted to the side-by-side comparisons that will definitely be spoilers. Half the fun is watching and spotting everything.
    -=Will you stand by me against the cold night, or are you afraid of the ice?=-

Quote Originally Posted by -=RTFR666=- View Post
    The Duffer Bros homages were 100% intentional - several Stephen King books/movies, John Carpenter, Steven Speilberg,
    Definitely got all that - maybe not the Star Wars. Not sure I approve of all that, but I'll try to stay open minded.

Definitely got all that - maybe not the Star Wars. Not sure I approve of all that, but I'll try to stay open minded.
    The ape doesn't approve.
    -=Will you stand by me against the cold night, or are you afraid of the ice?=-

Quote Originally Posted by -=RTFR666=- View Post
    The Duffer Bros homages were 100% intentional - several Stephen King books/movies, John Carpenter, Steven Speilberg, Star Wars, and many more. If you watch closely there's so many Easter Eggs scattered throughout the scenes, both in the front and center action as well as in the set design. There've been a few web sites devoted to the side-by-side comparisons that will definitely be spoilers. Half the fun is watching and spotting everything.
    Watching episode 3 - getting some Star Man, Firestarter, The Fury. The references are a little obvious for me is all.

Ok, it's getting pretty cool though. I'll stop commenting and just watch. And ok, they're using Peter Gabriel now... Ooh, except it's Gabriel from just a few years ago!
    Last edited by JKL2000; 08-08-2016 at 10:46 PM.

I'm here for the moosic NogbadTheBad's Avatar
    Just discovered anothe British detective show on PBS, Vera, added bonuses it stars Brenda Blethyn and is based around Newcastle (where I'm from) so lots of local accents and scenery. Quite lovely.
    Ian

Host of the Post-Avant Jazzcore Happy Hour on progrock.com
    https://podcasts.progrock.com/post-a...re-happy-hour/

Gordon Haskell - "You've got to keep the groove in your head and play a load of bollocks instead"
    I blame Wynton, what was the question?
    There are only 10 types of people in the World, those who understand binary and those that don't.

Quote Originally Posted by NogbadTheBad View Post
    Just discovered anothe British detective show on PBS, Vera, added bonuses it stars Brenda Blethyn and is based around Newcastle (where I'm from) so lots of local accents and scenery. Quite lovely.
    Pretty sure my wife's been watching that - she loves all those!

Watching episode 3 - getting some Star Man, Firestarter, The Fury. The references are a little obvious for me is all.

Ok, it's getting pretty cool though. I'll stop commenting and just watch. And ok, they're using Peter Gabriel now... Ooh, except it's Gabriel from just a few years ago!
    Right away I thought it had some of His Dark Materials in it too.

I'm pretty hooked now - on episode 5. The sheriff is a kickass character!

The BBC has a 6 part series called The Living And The Dead . It's a supernatural thriller. Just wondering if anyone has seen this? I might want to pick it up on DVD, but probably wouldn't take a flyer on it without some good reviews.

How awesome was Mr. Robot last night? This has to be the best show on US TV right now.

Quote Originally Posted by Facelift View Post
    How awesome was Mr. Robot last night? This has to be the best show on US TV right now.
    Haven't seen last night's epi, yet, but yeah this show is excellent.

Quote Originally Posted by Facelift View Post
    I'm about 3 weeks behind on this. Those 90 minute episodes wreak havoc w/my schedule.

Haven't seen last night's epi, yet, but yeah this show is excellent.
    Quote Originally Posted by Calabasas_Trafalgar View Post
    I'm about 3 weeks behind on this. Those 90 minute episodes wreak havoc w/my schedule.
    I'll just say that the first part of the episode makes for quite the WTF?! moment. Pretty daring stuff.

Oh sweet, the first season of Mr. Robot is finally on Amazon, free for those with Prime. I'll start once the Olympics are over.
    I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down.'- Bob Newhart

Quote Originally Posted by Jerjo View Post
    Oh sweet, the first season of Mr. Robot is finally on Amazon, free for those with Prime. I'll start once the Olympics are over.
    That isn't how I watched it.

Right away I thought it had some of His Dark Materials in it too.

I'm pretty hooked now - on episode 5. The sheriff is a kickass character!
    On episode 8. Hmm, a little "Alien."

This has definitely been a fun ride!

************************possibly a spoiler*****************************

But not really - They HAVE to have a season 2, because they never explained where 11 came from and why she has the powers she does.
    Right?
    Last edited by JKL2000; 08-11-2016 at 10:27 PM.

There was one episode, I don't know which one, that had a familliar proggy theme. Maybe something Krautrock or Mike Oldfield, or Italian?

Anyway, I'm sure there'll be plenty of time to rewatch the first season before season two.

This has definitely been a fun ride!
    There ya go, everyone. Great ape approved!

Glad you liked it. I enjoyed it, too. The one thing that threw me, tho, was I kept seeing Matthew Modine's name in the credits and I couldn't find him until about the 3rd episode when I realized he was the guy with white hair!

And, yeah, ya gotta figure there's going to be a season 2 when Will coughed up the piece of alien/monster that went down the sink. At least they opened the door for one. And I hope they do.

There ya go, everyone. Great ape approved!

Glad you liked it. I enjoyed it, too. The one thing that threw me, tho, was I kept seeing Matthew Modine's name in the credits and I couldn't find him until about the 3rd episode when I realized he was the guy with white hair!

And, yeah, ya gotta figure there's going to be a season 2 when Will coughed up the piece of alien/monster that went down the sink. At least they opened the door for one. And I hope they do.
    Really there are still more unanswered questions than answered ones. If they didn't do another series it's like they've only told half a story at most.

BTW, in one of the later episodes there was a sort of extended piece of music that sounded really familiar, like part of Tubular Bells, or something by Goblin. Anyone know what I mean? I wasn't sure if it was some older piece I just couldn't place, or if it in fact was an homage to horror film music.

Really there are still more unanswered questions than answered ones. If they didn't do another series it's like they've only told half a story at most.
    +1
    eg: where did the monster come from and why was the 'evil corporation' harboring it? was there a connection with 11's mind control experiments? why didn't the monster eat Will like it did everyone else including Barb? how did the face and Will's image appear in mom's wall? how did Will control and communicate through the lights? i could go on..
    "She said you are the air I breathe
    The life I love, the dream I weave."

Unevensong - Camel