Page 21 of 330 FirstFirst ... 111718192021222324253171121 ... LastLast

Thread: Current fav US TV series

Quote Originally Posted by Hal... View Post
    Mr Robot has just started season 2 this evening (Wed)!

If you haven't seen this show, you should. I found it excellent.
    I'm a fan so far, too. I liked the season debut a lot.

I'm here for the moosic NogbadTheBad's Avatar
    Anyone still watching Preacher? There's so much about this show that would ordinarily (and superficially, I should add) turn me off. It's offbeat enough, however, that it's captured my attention in a big way.
    I'm still with it, can be a bit slow but the whole battle with that female angel was fantastic.
    Ian

Host of the Post-Avant Jazzcore Happy Hour on progrock.com
    https://podcasts.progrock.com/post-a...re-happy-hour/

Gordon Haskell - "You've got to keep the groove in your head and play a load of bollocks instead"
    I blame Wynton, what was the question?
    There are only 10 types of people in the World, those who understand binary and those that don't.

Quote Originally Posted by Calabasas_Trafalgar View Post
    best thing on right now is Braindead...
    I've only seen the first episode, so far, but I have 3 more on tap.

Quote Originally Posted by Facelift View Post
    I'm a fan so far, too. I liked the season debut a lot.
    Unfortunately, I fell asleep about 20 minutes in. Will finish it sometime today.

Geez, sometimes when it rains it pours. I still haven't finished this season of The Americans (8 eps), 3 eps of Braindead, Mr Robot, two old movies I recorded from TCM, a documentary about the negative impact of human created sound on whales, dolphins, orcas, etc, an international friendly match between the USWNT & S. Africa, the post-race coverage of the British GP, and what is currently occupying my attention, 4+ stages of the Tour de France to catch up on. I need a vacation. lol
    “From thirty feet away she looked like a lot of class. From ten feet away she looked like something made up to be seen from thirty feet away.” – Philip Marlowe

Anyone still watching Preacher? There's so much about this show that would ordinarily (and superficially, I should add) turn me off. It's offbeat enough, however, that it's captured my attention in a big way.
    I watched the first three episodes and bailed. Frankly, only because it's on AMC did I watch after the first episode. I've never read the comic so maybe there's something I'm missing, but the whole thing just seems downright awful.

My favorite TV this year has been the OJ miniseries. I really thought it was great.

Quote Originally Posted by NogbadTheBad View Post
    I'm still with it, can be a bit slow but the whole battle with that female angel was fantastic.
    You're right. It can be slow but for some reason I haven't minded. BTW, I'm crushing on the character Tulip. I think she is so hot. And as I just discovered, the actress who plays her, Ruth Negga, has been romantically involved with the actor who plays the preacher, Dominic Cooper, for the last 6 years. Sounds like a little nepotism.

Another thing about that show... the guy who plays the owner of the meat packing company is Jackie Earle Haley, probably best known as the runt, "Moocher", in Breaking Away. I didn't even recognize him.
    “From thirty feet away she looked like a lot of class. From ten feet away she looked like something made up to be seen from thirty feet away.” – Philip Marlowe

I watched the first three episodes and bailed. Frankly, only because it's on AMC did I watch after the first episode. I've never read the comic so maybe there's something I'm missing, but the whole thing just seems downright awful.
    I didn't read the comic, either, but I keep watching because I know that either the shit's gonna hit the fan or the weirdness is going to ratchet up... or both.

I'm here for the moosic NogbadTheBad's Avatar
    Another thing about that show... the guy who plays the owner of the meat packing company is Jackie Earle Haley, probably best known as the runt, "Moocher", in Breaking Away. I didn't even recognize him.
    I know him best as Rorschach in the Watchmen movie
    Ian

Host of the Post-Avant Jazzcore Happy Hour on progrock.com
    https://podcasts.progrock.com/post-a...re-happy-hour/

Gordon Haskell - "You've got to keep the groove in your head and play a load of bollocks instead"
    I blame Wynton, what was the question?
    There are only 10 types of people in the World, those who understand binary and those that don't.

So anyone else watching Animal Kingdom now?

Also liking the Duchovny Manson-era cop show Aquarius.
    "My choice early in life was either to be a piano player in a whorehouse or a politician, and to tell the truth, there's hardly any difference"

President Harry S. Truman

Quote Originally Posted by NogbadTheBad View Post
    I know him best as Rorschach in the Watchmen movie
    Yeah, that's his most famous role now. But he's had dozens of truly great performances in indie films over the last couple decades.
    I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down.'- Bob Newhart

He also played the cigarette smoking punk in the original Bad News Bears.

The phenomenon of marathon series watching amongst teenagers seems to be huge and synchronised, for example, over a year ago my 17 year old did all of Breaking Bad, pretty much around the same time as his mates. Earlier this year he did all seasons of House of Cards and Game of Thrones, recently he did season 3 of Peaky Blinders, and this week he's done Season one of Narco, and always in line with when friends are watching, presumably so they can discuss them and of course avoid spoilers.

Yesterday I watched eps 1 and 2, season 2 of Mr Robot and I understood nothing. I can only assume I need to watch season 1 to get a handle on what the hell is going on.

Quote Originally Posted by PeterG View Post
    Yesterday I watched eps 1 and 2, season 2 of Mr Robot and I understood nothing. I can only assume I need to watch season 1 to get a handle on what the hell is going on.
    Definitely not a show to jump into the middle of.

Stranger Things on Netflix has been fantastic so far.

Set in the early 1980s and centers around the disappearance of a boy, a mystery girl with the number 011 tattooed on her wrist, scary government types, something that ate a scientist, and maybe even aliens. No idea what's going on after 3 episodes, but that's okay. Winona Ryder plays the missing boy's mother, and all of the young actors are really good.

My favorite TV this year has been the OJ miniseries. I really thought it was great.
    I thought the mini series was really well done, but the 30 for 30 doc. that ESPN did a about a month ago was even better. Well worth watching as it takes the OJ story from beginning right up to today, and very well done.

Quote Originally Posted by PeterG View Post
    For most people, that would be true, but in your case it probably wouldn't make any difference.

Quote Originally Posted by SteveSly View Post
    I thought the mini series was really well done, but the 30 for 30 doc. that ESPN did a about a month ago was even better. Well worth watching as it takes the OJ story from beginning right up to today, and very well done.
    I thought that the ESPN doc was great too. But, I wouldn't compare the OJ murder dramatization to a documentary about the life of OJ - they're totally different things. I thoroughly recommend both of them.

I thought that the ESPN doc was great too. But, I wouldn't compare the OJ murder dramatization to a documentary about the life of OJ - they're totally different things. I thoroughly recommend both of them.
    Good point, yes they were totally different animals.

I think there are a few "Hell On Wheels" fans on this thread. Wondering what you thought of the series finale Saturday night?

Quote Originally Posted by SteveSly View Post
    I think there are a few "Hell On Wheels" fans on this thread. Wondering what you thought of the series finale Saturday night?
    They closed it out pretty well I thought. There is also a 5 minute short playing On Demand that explains a few things about what they were trying to say and how each of the characters found their path to the future. Worth watching (I didn't want to get into that here - spoilers)
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    A gentleman is defined as someone who knows how to play the accordion, and doesn't.

Quote Originally Posted by BobM View Post
    They closed it out pretty well I thought. There is also a 5 minute short playing On Demand that explains a few things about what they were trying to say and how each of the characters found their path to the future. Worth watching (I didn't want to get into that here - spoilers)
    Yes, I have seen the short. This interview has some good information too: https://www.yahoo.com/tv/hell-on-whe...128798774.html

I agree, that overall they wrapped it up pretty well. I thought Durant's speech at the end was very well done.

I am loving Wynonna Earp and The Magicians.
    I'm not lazy. I just work so fast I'm always done.

I would have been super cool to see Max von Sydow as a character again. Today he's 87 and doesn't need the all that of makeup he needed to look older in 1973 (when he was 44).
    Check out my concert videos on my youtube channel: http://www.youtube.com/user/broadaccent