Page 19 of 328 FirstFirst ... 91516171819202122232969119 ... LastLast

Thread: Current fav US TV series

Has anyone seen Schitt's Creek, starring SCTV alums Eugene Levy & Catherine O'Hara, and featuring Chris Elliot? It's on a network called Pop in the US, but I believe it's a Canadian production of CBC. The first season is free on Amazon if you're a Prime member. Well worth watching if you like slightly off-center, quirky comedy. The ensemble is terrific, but I think my favorite is Levy's real son Dan, who also plays his son on the show. And also the delicious Emily Hampshire.

It's a bit of a hit here in Canada. My girlfriend never misses it but I have never watched it myself...
    "Corn Flakes pissed in. You ranted. Mission accomplished. Thread closed."

-Cozy 3:16-

Quote Originally Posted by headcrash View Post
    Has anyone seen Schitt's Creek, starring SCTV alums Eugene Levy & Catherine O'Hara, and featuring Chris Elliot? It's on a network called Pop in the US, but I believe it's a Canadian production of CBC. The first season is free on Amazon if you're a Prime member. Well worth watching if you like slightly off-center, quirky comedy. The ensemble is terrific, but I think my favorite is Levy's real son Dan, who also plays his son on the show. And also the delicious Emily Hampshire.
    Saw Levy and O'Hara on Colbert last night, and so I started watching Season 1 on Amazon Prime. That said, I've always detested Chris Elliot in that same-ole same-ole creepy persona of his that's bugged the crap out of me ever since he was a featured character decades ago on Late Night With David Letterman. Hard to believe Chris is the son of comic genius Bob Elliot (of Bob and Ray fame). IIRC Dan Levy is also co-writer with his dad. Worth sticking with it to binge on despite Elliot's "Elvis Shoots The TV" presence...
    -=Will you stand by me against the cold night, or are you afraid of the ice?=-

Parrots Ripped My Flesh Dave (in MA)'s Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by -=RTFR666=- View Post
    I've always detested Chris Elliot in that same-ole same-ole creepy persona of his that's bugged the crap out of me ever since he was a featured character decades ago on Late Night With David Letterman. Hard to believe Chris is the son of comic genius Bob Elliot (of Bob and Ray fame).

He could be funny from time to time.

Quote Originally Posted by Dave (in MA) View Post
    He could be funny from time to time.
    This may be a back-handed compliment, but during the run of that TV show of his, the parody he did of the Fame "Irene Cara topless scene" was genuinely funny. His "_______ Guy" segment on Letterman wore thin pretty quickly. But what do I know, I always thought Larry "Bud" Melman was hilarious.

Quote Originally Posted by PeterG View Post
    Could I pitch a curve ball and divert our attention to that type of programme that has had many horrible names over the years: reality TV, docusoap, docurama etc., which shows various types of people at the normal work. Personally, I like to call them everyday life programmes.

(HOWEVER, I'm not interested in all those fake progs with no conclusive conclusons like Lost Giants and Lost Gold and Searching for Hitler, nor in staged "locked in" progs, like Big Brother, Paradise Hotel or the naked in the jungle or surviving on an island types)

My very favourites at the moment are:

Down East Dickering
    Aussie Pickers
    Salvage Hunters (UK)
    and the two with the freaky curiosity shops in NY and SF.

On the competiton side of these progs, I'm really enjoying Forged in Fire.
    I am not familiar with the shows you mention, but although I agree many of these “reality” shows are crap, I am still a big fan of “Survivor” (season finale is tonight), and “Deadliest Catch”.

Quote Originally Posted by headcrash View Post
    I have been meaning to check this out. With that cast it has to be good.

Anyone watching The Night Manager? Pretty damn fine stuff!
    I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down.'- Bob Newhart

Quote Originally Posted by Jerjo View Post
    Excellent series.

Banshee is now finished as of last night... I'm going to miss that weekly dose of far-fetched, over the top action.
    Interviewer of reprobate ne'er-do-well musicians of the long-haired rock n' roll persuasion at: www.velvetthunder.co.uk and former scribe at Classic Rock Society. Only vaguely aware of anything other than music.

*** Join me in the Garden of Delights for 3 hours of tune-spinning... every Saturday at 5pm EST on Deep Nuggets radio! www.deepnuggets.com ***

Quote Originally Posted by Progatron View Post

Banshee is now finished as of last night... I'm going to miss that weekly dose of far-fetched, over the top action.
    TBH, I think the last season is really weak (haven't watched the last two episodes yet, though)

Almost no T&A and thankfully less violence , but a weak scenario ...
    my music collection increased tenfolds when I switched from drug-addicts to complete nutcases.

^^^ Yeah, it did feel a little 'tacked on', inventing a couple of new storylines with only 8 episodes to do it all. It wasn't the best season, but I enjoyed it.
    Interviewer of reprobate ne'er-do-well musicians of the long-haired rock n' roll persuasion at: www.velvetthunder.co.uk and former scribe at Classic Rock Society. Only vaguely aware of anything other than music.

*** Join me in the Garden of Delights for 3 hours of tune-spinning... every Saturday at 5pm EST on Deep Nuggets radio! www.deepnuggets.com ***

I'm here for the moosic NogbadTheBad's Avatar
    Wonderful series
    Ian

Host of the Post-Avant Jazzcore Happy Hour on progrock.com
    https://podcasts.progrock.com/post-a...re-happy-hour/

Gordon Haskell - "You've got to keep the groove in your head and play a load of bollocks instead"
    I blame Wynton, what was the question?
    There are only 10 types of people in the World, those who understand binary and those that don't.

I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down.'- Bob Newhart

That looks really good
    Ian

Gordon Haskell - "You've got to keep the groove in your head and play a load of bollocks instead"
    There are only 10 types of people in the World, those who understand binary and those that don't.

Preacher was really excellent, high hopes
    Ian

Quote Originally Posted by NogbadTheBad View Post
    So what is the background of this show? Is it another comic book inspired program or something else? I ended up watching the debut episode Sunday night and was intrigued enough to continue, but I know nothing of its background.

This is not really current, but I have been watching Miami Steve Van Zant's "Lillyhammer" show on Netflix and am about 1/3 way into the 3rd (and final so I read) season. I would not say it is outstanding, but it is good for what it is and at times pretty funny.

Also, count me in as a "House Of Cards" junkie. The wife and I have been binge watching the first season and just stared season 2. Outstanding writing, acting, you name it, this show has it.

I tried Lillyhammer for about 2 shows and gave up instantly. Not for me.

House of Cards was great. The Night Manager is also a favorite these days.

We have watched Penny Dreadful in the past and enjoyed it, but I'm not sure this season is going to turn into anything special. Last season was just OK.

Then there's Game of Thrones, and the Americans, and Outlander - all are fantastic.
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    A gentleman is defined as someone who knows how to play the accordion, and doesn't.

Parrots Ripped My Flesh Dave (in MA)'s Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by SteveSly View Post
    This is not really current, but I have been watching Miami Steve Van Zant's "Lillyhammer" show on Netflix and am about 1/3 way into the 3rd (and final so I read) season. I would not say it is outstanding, but it is good for what it is and at times pretty funny.
    I love that show. IMO, since it's about a mob guy who goes into witness protection and opens a nightclub--they should have just made him Silvio.

Streaming Marvel's Daredevil right now, winding up season 1, then taking a break before moving on to Season 2 to binge Bloodline on the 27th. Anyone watch that Lily Tomlin/ Jane Fonda series? Is it worth looking into?

Tried watching Transparent on Amazon Prime, but for me it suffers from that "Plague of Assholes" that caused me to write off Vinyl. Never was a Jeffrey Tambor fan (which makes arrested Development a trial for me at times), beginning in the days of the first runs of the Three's Company Ropers spinoff

Quote Originally Posted by BobM View Post
    I tried Lillyhammer for about 2 shows and gave up instantly. Not for me.

I think each successive season has gotten better. I can understand not making it through season 1. The production was obviously on the low budget side; the acting hit and miss, as was the writing. I thought season 2 was a pretty big step up, and so far season 3 is good.

Quote Originally Posted by Dave (in MA) View Post
    I love that show. IMO, since it's about a mob guy who goes into witness protection and opens a nightclub--they should have just made him Silvio.
    It could be argued that they did. I have not made it all the way through season 3 yet, but when Johnny is recovering from the gunshot wounds in the hospital, the insane old man in his room says something to the effect “It’s all a dream Silvio”. I can’t remember specifics off the top of my head, but there are some other subtle references here and there to the Sopranos as well. One of the speculations is that all of the events in Lillehammer take place as a dream sequence while Silvio (in the Sopranos) was in a coma. Seems like too much of a coincidence that they would put the old man’s comments in the show if it was not a reference to the Silvio of the Sopranos.

Anyone catch the third episode of DC's Legends of Tomorrow? Montrose I Got the Fire was used to great effectiveness. Just got hip to this show as I don't care about comic books. But it's got Rory from Dr. Who so I just had to watch it and now I'm hooked.

Anyway, great use of a forgotten rock tune.
    Carry On My Blood-Ejaculating Son - JKL2000

Quote Originally Posted by NogbadTheBad View Post
    I've seen the first two episodes and plan to watch the rest. Good show... and a bit bizarre and twisted.
    “From thirty feet away she looked like a lot of class. From ten feet away she looked like something made up to be seen from thirty feet away.” – Philip Marlowe

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by -=RTFR666=- View Post

Tried watching Transparent on Amazon Prime, but for me it suffers from that "Plague of Assholes" that caused me to write off Vinyl.
    You might have been a tad hasty writing off Vinyl. I enjoyed season one and thought it had some great characters and top-drawer acting and the re-creation of the 70s was great fun. I think you should give it another chance, it has been largely well received by critics FWIW... and there's a major shake-up for season 2 with a new show-runner and executive producer. HBO seems invested in trying to make this a success.