Thread: Current fav US TV series

Occipital Provocatee Plasmatopia's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Jerjo View Post
    Well, I'm not sure which episode it was but every time a group is pursued by slooooow-walking Walkers they go from twenty yards behind to engulfing the living the living in seconds, attacking from all sides. How does something that can't move more than a couple miles an hour swarm people that can a.) walk even slightly faster or b.) in most cases run. The choices of weaponry aren't very well thought out by the living either. Spears for everyone should be a priority, along with some sort of primitive sword. Bows and arrows are nice (provided you have the skill to hit a moving target and don't run out of arrows) but then they're reduced to using short knives and there's always someone among the living that utterly sucks at this. Use a weapon that's a little bit LONGER. And anytime someone gets an actual gun, they spray ammo like a redneck at a shooting range.

The living is always threatened by yet another group of psychotics followed by a autocratic psychotic. Now there's a trope they've run into the ground. Now we have the Commonwealth, which appears to be a community that actually figured this shit out and but the show loves authority figures so hey, we've got the guy in orange football armor and football armor stormtroopers on every street corner to impose the peace. The writers cannot escape this theme. I saw an article once that cited several examples of severely war-torn cities (WWII, the siege of Sarajevo) where civilization had actually fallen and people were not overrun by criminal gangs. Rather people banded together to help each other. Our world is extremely divided now, especially in the US, but in times of disaster people SEEM to rise above. In WD, the message seems to be the opposite.
    Most of the time when they get swarmed seems to be when they're out in the woods and what seems like just a few walkers turns out to be many more that were just out of sight beyond the trees. The times when they get lucky and there aren't many walkers and a few walkers are easily dealt with are less exciting and less likely to be major plot turning points and probably don't make good TV. Some do use spears, but those become less useful when things turn more close-contact, so a range of weapons makes some sense. Plus, stupidity drives the action (oh crap, so-and-so left the gate open again) and never lets anyone get too comfortable.

And I think that could be a major reason for the rise of sociopaths to power (not to mention the stress of war literally turns combatants into at least temporary sociopaths after a few weeks). The threat of zombies is never gone whereas there are times of respite in war-torn cities. Fear is a big motivator. The average person is bound to be looking for some sort of strong man to organize people and protect everyone from an enemy that seems inexhaustible in number.

But yeah, at this point I would like to see some other type of leader appear that isn't a raging madman.
    <sig out of order>

I forgot about The Fall. That was my favorite. Gillian Anderson and Jamie Dornan were so good in it. The last 2 or 3 episodes of that show was some of the best TV I've ever seen.

Quote Originally Posted by Just Eric View Post
    Have you watched any of these - Marcella, Happy Valley, Luther, Bodyguard, Paranoid, and Collateral? I also got way into MI6 (Spooks)
    I've seen Bodyguard and I forgot about Collateral. Thanks for the reminder. I considered Luther and MI5 (not 6) but passed on them. I think I started Happy Valley but never finished it.

There was another show I started about an investigation into the death of a kid who apparently fell from a cliff, indicating suicide, but a closer look showed otherwise. There was also a dead whale that washed up on the beach. Can't remember the name of it. I didn't finish that one, either.

Haven't heard or Marcella or Paranoid.

Bear in mind what I said about the other shows. I really did like Line of Duty but I had an issue with the pacing. The same for the other shows I've seen. But that's me and no reflection on the quality of the shows.

Well, I'm not sure which episode it was...
    I think you should go practice your guitar while the wife watches her show.

Quote Originally Posted by Plasmatopia View Post
    ...oh crap, so-and-so left the gate open again...

I remember the episode where they were going to lead the zombies out of the quarry and away from the village. I was talking to my niece about it and when I mentioned the farm equipment store and how none of the characters considered using the bulldozers/backhoes to create a barrier to trap the zombies, she was dumbfounded, and realized I was right about how poorly the show is written.

I can't believe you guys are still torturing yourselves watching it. I found out my niece is still watching it, too. I thought she gave up on it and when I questioned her about it, she said this season has been better than the previous two or three... or four. I'm not buying it. The only thing that could save that show is if someone killed off the writers.
    Many years ago, I started a misanthropic club. I'm still the only member.

I finally got back around to watching Brand New Cherry Flavor. Episode 3 definitely got me into it. And E4... Jeeeeeesus.

I knew what was going to happen when Lisa discovered that thing on her side. But that still didn't lessen the impact of watching what happened between her and Roy.

I will admit, however, I got a minor detail wrong: rather than fisting her, I thought he was going to fuck her. That would have been more outrageous... and funny, I think.

I think you should go practice your guitar while the wife watches her show.
    Oh, if only I could. For some reason it has been declared a show we have to watch together.
    I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down.'- Bob Newhart

Oh, if only I could. For some reason it has been declared a show we have to watch together.
    Music isn't about chops, or even about talent - it's about sound and the way that sound communicates to people. Mike Keneally

Don't let your meatloaf! Paulie's Avatar
    I put in another nod in for Peepshow. One of the funniest shows I've ever seen.
    "That gum you like is going to come back in style."

Occipital Provocatee Plasmatopia's Avatar
    She's scared to watch it alone?
    <sig out of order>

Oh my god. I've heard that through three ex-wives. "It's our show." "We ALWAYS watch this together." When in reality it's HER show that I don't like, but will sit through in hopes of sex after.
    Duncan's going to make a Horns Emoticon!!!

Crap! Binged Goliath on Prime today…..Season 4 (final season). It looks “exhausting” to be Billy-bob Thornton for an entire Season! Lotsa good scenes with Bruce Dern….my favorite. (Dern). “Well. One of you must be an Asshole!”
    The Ice Cream Lady Wet her drawers........To see you in the Passion Playyyy eeee - I. Anderson

"It's kind of like deciding not to date a beautiful blonde anymore because she farted." - Top Cat

I was expecting to be kinda meh, but it made my nips stiffen - Jerjo

(Zamran) "that fucking thing man . . . it sits there on my wall like a broken clock " - Helix

Social Media is the "Toilet" of the Internet - Lady Gaga

7 episodes into Nine Perfect Strangers on Hulu. A slow burn with a great cast, well except I have a hard time with Nicole Kidman and her plasti-face. All the rest of the cast are top notch and the story is interesting.

About halfway through the new season of "Ted Lasso". One of the best things currently airing. Watching the Christmas episode in September is a bit jarring, but the show is so great it's not really an issue. Gotta be the sweetest, most heartwarming sitcom installment that also shatters the record for most F-bombs in a holiday episode.
    No matter how corrupt, greedy, and heartless our government, our corporations, our media, and our religious and charitable institutions may become, the music will still be wonderful. - Kurt Vonnegut

Quote Originally Posted by Just Eric View Post
    7 episodes into Nine Perfect Strangers on Hulu. A slow burn with a great cast, well except I have a hard time with Nicole Kidman and her plasti-face. All the rest of the cast are top notch and the story is interesting.
    I'm enjoying this one, but it's taking a bit of an off-kilter turn, I'm hoping the last couple of episodes aren't disappointing. Totally agree about Kidman's distracting appearance, and it doesn't help that my wife is constantly pointing out things like "Look! Her forehead and cheeks don't even budge when she speaks!" She's still a beautiful woman, but she'd be even more so without the alien facial qualities.

We started Hacks after seeing that it got some Emmy nods, and it's excellent so far. Jean Smart is very strong and I absolutely love Hannah Einbender, who I'd never seen in anything before.
    Interviewer of reprobate ne'er-do-well musicians of the long-haired rock n' roll persuasion at: www.velvetthunder.co.uk

Quote Originally Posted by Progatron View Post
    Totally agree about Kidman's distracting appearance, and it doesn't help that my wife is constantly pointing out things like "Look! Her forehead and cheeks don't even budge when she speaks!"
    The desired side effect of Botox injections.

I've never cared for Nicole Kidman. She was kinda cute when she was 19 or 20. The first movie I saw her in was Billy Bathgate, the movie with Dustin Hoffman playing Dutch Schultz, but I don't remember her in it. The second movie I ever saw her in was Eyes Wide Shut. She did absolutely nothing for me.

Hollywood fucks women up. Producers and directors want women thin but when a woman loses those "few extra pounds", it usually makes their face too thin and they lose their youthful beauty. It also makes their breasts smaller. Women in Hollywood can't win.

The most absurd thing I ever heard an actress say in regards to weight was when Kate Winslet said that James Cameron referred to her as "Kate Weighs-alot" on the set of Titanic. What an asshole.

Finally, to be fair to Nicole, it is infinitely more difficult for an actress to age gracefully than for a man. And I will say at least she doesn't look like Jocelyn Wildenstein.

Quote Originally Posted by Hal... View Post
    The most absurd thing I ever heard an actress say in regards to weight was when Kate Winslet said that James Cameron referred to her as "Kate Weighs-alot" on the set of Titanic. What an asshole.
    That's just a dick move. Personally I find Kate Winslet a natural beauty who is aging gracefully. As well as being an outstanding actress.
    Interviewer of reprobate ne'er-do-well musicians of the long-haired rock n' roll persuasion at: www.velvetthunder.co.uk

That's just a dick move. Personally I find Kate Winslet a natural beauty who is aging gracefully. As well as being an outstanding actress.
    She was fabulous in "Mare of Easttown", whatever her weight might be.
    No matter how corrupt, greedy, and heartless our government, our corporations, our media, and our religious and charitable institutions may become, the music will still be wonderful. - Kurt Vonnegut

Member since March 2004 mozo-pg's Avatar

Nicole Kidman was a complete beauty when she filmed, Moulin Rouge. I really liked that movie.
    What can this strange device be? When I touch it, it brings forth a sound.

At the time that movie was made, I would have rated Kate Winslet the most beautiful woman on the planet, along with Cindy Crawford.
    15 Cuban minutes
    Can get lost in the fog
    Life's a test, just do your best
    Like a three-legged dog

http://www.discogs.com/user/moecurlythanu/collection

Agreed on both counts.

Quote Originally Posted by moecurlythanu View Post
    At the time that movie was made, I would have rated Kate Winslet the most beautiful woman on the planet, along with Cindy Crawford.
    Wow. High praise.

The woman that has me a bit gobsmacked, especially when she smiles, is Emilia Clarke. Pictures don't do her justice. And she comes off as genuinely sweet, too.

The desired side effect of Botox injections.

I've never cared for Nicole Kidman. She was kinda cute when she was 19 or 20. The first movie I saw her in was Billy Bathgate, the movie with Dustin Hoffman playing Dutch Schultz, but I don't remember her in it. The second movie I ever saw her in was Eyes Wide Shut. She did absolutely nothing for me.

Hollywood fucks women up. Producers and directors want women thin but when a woman loses those "few extra pounds", it usually makes their face too thin and they lose their youthful beauty. It also makes their breasts smaller. Women in Hollywood can't win.

Finally, to be fair to Nicole, it is infinitely more difficult for an actress to age gracefully than for a man. And I will say at least she doesn't look like Jocelyn Wildenstein.
    If you haven't seen it, Dead Calm with Nicole Kidman is an excellent thriller.

One I really liked that didn't get a lot of attention was The Human Stain, with Kidman and Anthony Hopkins. Beautiful score, too.

Ooooh Midnight Mass on Netflix. Just watched the first episode and I'm giddy with delightful darkness. Hope it doesn't disappoint.
    "Who would have thought a whale would be so heavy?" - Moe Sizlak

Quote Originally Posted by Klonk View Post
    Ooooh Midnight Mass on Netflix. Just watched the first episode and I'm giddy with delightful darkness. Hope it doesn't disappoint.
    Watched the whole series yesterday...like you I was delighted with the first episode (and the second & third), however I'm sorry to say it was downhill from there. It may be different for you...
    Dave Sr.

I prefer Nature to Human Nature

Indeed. Rail thin women with big boobs simply isn't found in nature. It only occurs in a plastic surgeon's O.R.
    "Well my son, life is like a beanstalk, isn't it?"--Dalai Lama

Quote Originally Posted by progmatist View Post
    Indeed. Rail thin women with big boobs simply isn't found in nature. It only occurs in a plastic surgeon's O.R.
    Usually. I used to know a young woman who was rail thin and had D cup breasts. And, no, they weren't fake. Trust me.

Usually. I used to know a young woman who was rail thin and had D cup breasts. And, no, they weren't fake. Trust me.
    Yeah, I've seen some too. I wonder why they get so much attention?
    15 Cuban minutes
    Can get lost in the fog
    Life's a test, just do your best
    Like a three-legged dog

http://www.discogs.com/user/moecurlythanu/collection