Page 197 of 330 FirstFirst ... 97147187193194195196197198199200201207247297 ... LastLast
Results 4,901 to 4,925 of 8227

Thread: Current fav US TV series

Quote Originally Posted by Hal... View Post

What I find amazing is that, given how it's been made into a series on Netflix, you'd think the publisher would print up some copies to make available for purchase. Aside from the $750 paperback copy on Amazon you mentioned, I couldn't even find a copy at Half Price Books.
    Exactly! I went to the bookstore thinking this would be the case, but nope. Every other TV series or movie made in the last three years exists in book form, often recovered to show the stars of the filmed version.

Klonk said: Hells yeah! And I'll thank Rick L for recommending it to me
    I watched the Emmy's tonight and they have become the Grammys - nothing original recognized at all! Except for Ludwig Goransson's score for The Mandolorian (which is a kick-ass tribute to Morricone) there is nothing original. All watered down, tame-ass drama with little to no creativity. The real Emmy's would have more of the killer shows mentioned in the thread, the shows that make you think and marvel at the creativity.
    Duncan's going to make a Horns Emoticon!!!

I watched the Emmy's tonight and they have become the Grammys - nothing original recognized at all! Except for Ludwig Goransson's score for The Mandolorian (which is a kick-ass tribute to Morricone) there is nothing original. All watered down, tame-ass drama with little to no creativity. The real Emmy's would have more of the killer shows mentioned in the thread, the shows that make you think and marvel at the creativity.
    Definitely the worst awards show of the year, and that's saying something regarding what a clusterfuck the Academy Awards was.
    I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down.'- Bob Newhart

Quote Originally Posted by Just Eric View Post
    Exactly! I went to the bookstore thinking this would be the case, but nope. Every other TV series or movie made in the last three years exists in book form, often recovered to show the stars of the filmed version.
    Especially considering the book was originally published in 1996, which isn't that old.

I watched the Emmy's tonight and they have become the Grammys - nothing original recognized at all!
    I didn't even know they were on.

But... hello: Ted Lasso won for Comedy series and The Queen's Gambit won for Limited or Anthology series. Plus, various actors/actresses won for The Crown and Mare of Easttown, including Olivia Colman. Damn, now I wish I had seen the Emmys. I love that woman and I'm sure would have enjoyed her acceptance speech. She's often really funny. And an amazing actress.
    “From thirty feet away she looked like a lot of class. From ten feet away she looked like something made up to be seen from thirty feet away.” – Philip Marlowe

I discovered last night that the new season of The Morning Show dropped last Friday. The first episode was good, as expected.

And Foundation premieres this Friday!
    “From thirty feet away she looked like a lot of class. From ten feet away she looked like something made up to be seen from thirty feet away.” – Philip Marlowe

I always learn about shows I need to be checking out from the list of Emmy nominees, and this year was no exception. But, I couldn't make it through 20 minutes of that broadcast; it was truly terrible.
    David
    Happy with what I have to be happy with.

I'm here for the moosic NogbadTheBad's Avatar
    Been watching new episodes of the UK Detective shows, Vera (Britbox), and Unforgotten (PBS), both excellent.
    Ian

Host of the Post-Avant Jazzcore Happy Hour on progrock.com
    https://podcasts.progrock.com/post-a...re-happy-hour/

Gordon Haskell - "You've got to keep the groove in your head and play a load of bollocks instead"
    I blame Wynton, what was the question?
    There are only 10 types of people in the World, those who understand binary and those that don't.

Speaking of Olivia Colman, I have Broadchurch in my queue but haven't pulled the trigger, yet. I like British police procedurals but they're usually deliberately paced and that can get me feeling impatient. It doesn't help I have ADD.

The best Brit cop show I've seen, so far, is Line of Duty. But, man, it felt like a bit of a chore to get through a season; the buildup is kind of laborious. It's analogous to an hour and a half of foreplay and ten minutes of fucking.

I started but gave up on both The Tunnel and Top of the Lake for that reason.

Am I going to feel the same about Broadchurch? Or does Ms Colman and David Tennant provide enough interest?

-----

Looking through Colman's CV, I discovered another show she was in called Peep Show. It sounds really interesting and apparently got quite a few accolades, including being voted as one of Britain's 20 best sitcoms. Has anyone seen it? Does anyone know where - or if - it's available?

Broadhurst is very slow but brilliant with terrific acting.
    Ian

Gordon Haskell - "You've got to keep the groove in your head and play a load of bollocks instead"
    There are only 10 types of people in the World, those who understand binary and those that don't.

Broadchurch was excellent for sure.
    Interviewer of reprobate ne'er-do-well musicians of the long-haired rock n' roll persuasion at: www.velvetthunder.co.uk and former scribe at Classic Rock Society. Only vaguely aware of anything other than music.

*** Join me in the Garden of Delights for 3 hours of tune-spinning... every Saturday at 5pm EST on Deep Nuggets radio! www.deepnuggets.com ***

Looking through Colman's CV, I discovered another show she was in called Peep Show. It sounds really interesting and apparently got quite a few accolades, including being voted as one of Britain's 20 best sitcoms. Has anyone seen it? Does anyone know where - or if - it's available?
    Peep Show is really, really funny. 9 seasons of it are available for free on demand on Pluto TV - I think it might be available on IMDB also.

Peep Show is hilarious. My wife and I practically choked at times with tears streaming down our faces, for real. I think we watched it on Britbox.
    Interviewer of reprobate ne'er-do-well musicians of the long-haired rock n' roll persuasion at: www.velvetthunder.co.uk and former scribe at Classic Rock Society. Only vaguely aware of anything other than music.

*** Join me in the Garden of Delights for 3 hours of tune-spinning... every Saturday at 5pm EST on Deep Nuggets radio! www.deepnuggets.com ***

Speaking of Olivia Colman, I have Broadchurch in my queue but haven't pulled the trigger, yet. I like British police procedurals but they're usually deliberately paced and that can get me feeling impatient. It doesn't help I have ADD.

The best Brit cop show I've seen, so far, is Line of Duty. But, man, it felt like a bit of a chore to get through a season; the buildup is kind of laborious. It's analogous to an hour and a half of foreplay and ten minutes of fucking.

I started but gave up on both The Tunnel and Top of the Lake for that reason.

Am I going to feel the same about Broadchurch? Or does Ms Colman and David Tennant provide enough interest?

-----

Have you watched any of these - Marcella, Happy Valley, Luther, Bodyguard, Paranoid, and Collateral? I also got way into MI6 (Spooks)
    Duncan's going to make a Horns Emoticon!!!

Those are all great, Luther may be my pick of them.
    Ian

Big fan of Line of Duty. And this is so cool!
    https://youtu.be/LG36jUN88mQ

Big fan of Line of Duty. And this is so cool!

https://youtu.be/LG36jUN88mQ

Hinterland is another great UK series
    I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down.'- Bob Newhart

Subterranean Tapir Hobo Chang Ba's Avatar
    Peep Show is my favorite sitcom ever.
    Please don't ask questions, just use google.

Never let good music get in the way of making a profit.

I'm only here to reglaze my bathtub.

We have binged through the most recent Walking Dead episodes (my wife insists, I choose my battles). I see that the show has not improved in the least since I gave up on it: weak and inconsistent writing with absolutely no imagination. Combat scenes with zombies require absolutely no continuity, strategy, or common sense. The dim view of humanity is still a constant and is tiresome. This show is a shitfest.

Subterranean Tapir Hobo Chang Ba's Avatar
    ^ To be fair, humanity is a pile of festering shit that can't be properly portrayed in any other light.
    Please don't ask questions, just use google.

Never let good music get in the way of making a profit.

I'm only here to reglaze my bathtub.

Quote Originally Posted by Jerjo View Post
    Combat scenes with zombies require absolutely no continuity, strategy, or common sense. The dim view of humanity is still a constant and is tiresome. This show is a shitfest.
    I disagree about the combat. I watched the most recent episode last night and I'm really not sure where those criticisms apply (except, I mean, like...zombies don't exist). There are certainly some poor examples of humanity on display, but also some more uplifting ones. On the subject of "imagination", the occupants of that house were a bit of a new twist on things (which could be argued was lame, but that might be down to personal preferences), but really there's nothing new under the sun at this point.
    <sig out of order>

Well, I'm not sure which episode it was but every time a group is pursued by slooooow-walking Walkers they go from twenty yards behind to engulfing the living the living in seconds, attacking from all sides. How does something that can't move more than a couple miles an hour swarm people that can a.) walk even slightly faster or b.) in most cases run. The choices of weaponry aren't very well thought out by the living either. Spears for everyone should be a priority, along with some sort of primitive sword. Bows and arrows are nice (provided you have the skill to hit a moving target and don't run out of arrows) but then they're reduced to using short knives and there's always someone among the living that utterly sucks at this. Use a weapon that's a little bit LONGER. And anytime someone gets an actual gun, they spray ammo like a redneck at a shooting range.

The living is always threatened by yet another group of psychotics followed by a autocratic psychotic. Now there's a trope they've run into the ground. Now we have the Commonwealth, which appears to be a community that actually figured this shit out and but the show loves authority figures so hey, we've got the guy in orange football armor and football armor stormtroopers on every street corner to impose the peace. The writers cannot escape this theme. I saw an article once that cited several examples of severely war-torn cities (WWII, the siege of Sarajevo) where civilization had actually fallen and people were not overrun by criminal gangs. Rather people banded together to help each other. Our world is extremely divided now, especially in the US, but in times of disaster people SEEM to rise above. In WD, the message seems to be the opposite.

Quote Originally Posted by Jerjo View Post
    Well, I'm not sure which episode it was but every time a group is pursued by slooooow-walking Walkers they go from twenty yards behind to engulfing the living the living in seconds, attacking from all sides. How does something that can't move more than a couple miles an hour swarm people that can a.) walk even slightly faster or b.) in most cases run. The choices of weaponry aren't very well thought out by the living either. Spears for everyone should be a priority, along with some sort of primitive sword. Bows and arrows are nice (provided you have the skill to hit a moving target and don't run out of arrows) but then they're reduced to using short knives and there's always someone among the living that utterly sucks at this. Use a weapon that's a little bit LONGER. And anytime someone gets an actual gun, they spray ammo like a redneck at a shooting range.

The living is always threatened by yet another group of psychotics followed by a autocratic psychotic. Now there's a trope they've run into the ground. Now we have the Commonwealth, which appears to be a community that actually figured this shit out and but the show loves authority figures so hey, we've got the guy in orange football armor and football armor stormtroopers on every street corner to impose the peace. The writers cannot escape this theme. I saw an article once that cited several examples of severely war-torn cities (WWII, the siege of Sarajevo) where civilization had actually fallen and people were not overrun by criminal gangs. Rather people banded together to help each other. Our world is extremely divided now, especially in the US, but in times of disaster people SEEM to rise above. In WD, the message seems to be the opposite.
    You hit the nail on the head! I will continue to watch because I have made it this far, but yup you pretty much summed up my feelings.

Quote Originally Posted by Just Eric View Post
    Have you watched any of these - Marcella, Happy Valley, Luther, Bodyguard, Paranoid, and Collateral? I also got way into MI6 (Spooks)
    Some of these are on my list - especially Luther.

Have any of you watched The Fall, with Gillian Anderson? We really enjoyed it.
    Music isn't about chops, or even about talent - it's about sound and the way that sound communicates to people. Mike Keneally

Have any of you watched The Fall, with Gillian Anderson? We really enjoyed it.
    Is that the one with the "sweet night"? If so, we saw season one and it was stellar.

The Fall is brilliant.
    Ian