Page 18 of 330 FirstFirst ... 81415161718192021222868118 ... LastLast

Thread: Current fav US TV series

Quote Originally Posted by BobM View Post
    I've got something like 5 episodes of Blindspot saved on the DVR but can't rouse any enthusiasm to watch them. I think that show is dead to me ... sleeping with the fishes so to speak.
    i gave up on that one. just can't take the lead actress. she's kind of plain looking, seems to always have the same concerned/angst-ridden look on her face and she can't act.

tried the Magicians too but it was just too damn convoluted.
    "She said you are the air I breathe
    The life I love, the dream I weave."

Unevensong - Camel

For anyone still interested, the final season of Person of Interest premiered this week.

Also, for any fans of 30 for 30, I recently watched the episode about the Duke lacrosse team. Another excellent episode but all I will say about the event portrayed in the show is, "holy shit! I had no idea!"
    “From thirty feet away she looked like a lot of class. From ten feet away she looked like something made up to be seen from thirty feet away.” – Philip Marlowe

Parrots Ripped My Flesh Dave (in MA)'s Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Hal... View Post
    For anyone still interested, the final season of Person of Interest premiered this week.
    cbs.com has a streaming version of the episode with commentary from some of the creators/writers/directors. They talk over the audio, so don't skip watching the episode itself first.

Quote Originally Posted by NogbadTheBad View Post
    Father Brown is great, do you watch Granchester as well? Another crime solving clergyman in a period drama.
    Yes, I did. Shame it was such a short series.

An update:

666 Park Avenue

Also, for any fans of 30 for 30, I recently watched the episode about the Duke lacrosse team. Another excellent episode but all I will say about the event portrayed in the show is, "holy shit! I had no idea!"
    I have not seen all of the 30 for 30 episodes, but the ones I have seen have been very well done.

Quote Originally Posted by PeterG View Post
    An update:

666 Park Avenue
    Does that mean they are bringing it back? I liked it, but the show only survived one season due to low ratings.

Started watching Magic City on Netflix. Set in Miami 1959. It's a slow show but not bad after 2 episodes. The clothing and cars are fantastic! Lots of nudity for those who tune in for that sort of thing...
    "Corn Flakes pissed in. You ranted. Mission accomplished. Thread closed."

-Cozy 3:16-

Highly Evolved Orangutan JKL2000's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Yves View Post
    Started watching Magic City on Netflix. Set in Miami 1959. It's a slow show but not bad after 2 episodes. The clothing and cars are fantastic! Lots of nudity for those who tune in for that sort of thing...
    Just watched the first episode after reading your post. I spent time in Miami in the 70s and my mom grew up there in the 50s, so it was of interest. Pretty good, and yeah, a lot of nudity, which was not unappreciated. I was also there last Fall for the first time in decades, and it was great to see the vintage architecture, etc. again.

Has anyone else seen the first season of Grace and Frankie on Netflix? Awesome comedy. The second season just came out. Can;t wait.
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    A gentleman is defined as someone who knows how to play the accordion, and doesn't.

The Night Manager on AMC is pretty damned good.

Quote Originally Posted by SteveSly View Post
    Does that mean they are bringing it back? I liked it, but the show only survived one season due to low ratings.
    No idea, I'm referring to season 1 in both cases, which are airing over here now.

Loved the first season...but this is a classic example in my opinion where one season would have been enough, where they could have wound up the story and intrigues in just one season, the back stories got more and more far fetched, contrived and thinner and thinner for every episode that aired.

I'm here for the moosic NogbadTheBad's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Dave (in MA) View Post
    Same for me, it's very good
    Ian

Host of the Post-Avant Jazzcore Happy Hour on progrock.com
    https://podcasts.progrock.com/post-a...re-happy-hour/

Gordon Haskell - "You've got to keep the groove in your head and play a load of bollocks instead"
    I blame Wynton, what was the question?
    There are only 10 types of people in the World, those who understand binary and those that don't.

Quote Originally Posted by Dave (in MA) View Post
    I've been *loving* this show. Too bad it's only six episodes.. halfway done already. Hugh Laurie and Tom Hiddleston are excellent in it.
    Interviewer of reprobate ne'er-do-well musicians of the long-haired rock n' roll persuasion at: www.velvetthunder.co.uk and former scribe at Classic Rock Society. Only vaguely aware of anything other than music.

*** Join me in the Garden of Delights for 3 hours of tune-spinning... every Saturday at 5pm EST on Deep Nuggets radio! www.deepnuggets.com ***

Quote Originally Posted by SteveSly View Post
    I have not seen all of the 30 for 30 episodes, but the ones I have seen have been very well done.
    Yeah, I remember you commenting on the show some weeks back. I'll admit there are some subjects that don't interest me and so I'll skip episodes, but of the ones I've seen:

Loved the first season...but this is a classic example in my opinion where one season would have been enough, where they could have wound up the story and intrigues in just one season, the back stories got more and more far fetched, contrived and thinner and thinner for every episode that aired.
    I agree with some of your assessment. It did get more contrived, etc. But the point at which Carter & Fusco were brought into the fold was when the show began to hit its stride, imo, which was the end of S1 or the beginning of S2. All the dealings with HR and all the different Fed agencies, etc, made the show incredibly convoluted... and I loved it! But, yeah, sometime in S3 when they began to focus on the Samaritan story line was when the show started taking a turn for the worse. And when Reese & Shaw took on new identities was when they jumped the shark, I thought. I'm in for the final season but it's not like I'm gonna lament its passing.
    “From thirty feet away she looked like a lot of class. From ten feet away she looked like something made up to be seen from thirty feet away.” – Philip Marlowe

No idea, I'm referring to season 1 in both cases, which are airing over here now.
    Ah, ok. Yea, it only lasted one season. In fact they did not even show the last couple of episodes until later in the summer long after the original run of the show which was kind of strange. Anyway......I thought it was pretty good, and they wrapped up at least some of the loose ends at the end of the season.

Yeah, I remember you commenting on the show some weeks back. I'll admit there are some subjects that don't interest me and so I'll skip episodes, but of the ones I've seen:

I agree with some of your assessment. It did get more contrived, etc. But the point at which Carter & Fusco were brought into the fold was when the show began to hit its stride, imo, which was the end of S1 or the beginning of S2. All the dealings with HR and all the different Fed agencies, etc, made the show incredibly convoluted... and I loved it! But, yeah, sometime in S3 when they began to focus on the Samaritan story line was when the show started taking a turn for the worse. And when Reese & Shaw took on new identities was when they jumped the shark, I thought. I'm in for the final season but it's not like I'm gonna lament its passing.
    Well, I was hoping for it to stay "Batman" if you know what I mean, that the good cops, including Carter and the reformed Fusco knew about our boys and approved of their deeds but didn't know who they were and didn't meet them, and that the boys would help out the good cops anonymously when they could. The whole HR thing for me was just crap writing, and it seemed that the writers were running out of ideas as each episode passed. Then in comes a young woman who is in symbiosis with the machine, who they lock in a cage (they jumped the shark right there IMO).....yeah, right, thanks, and good night PoI.....I'm going to watch something more realistic now.

I've enjoyed POI all along. One little thing that bugged me a little was softening up the sociopath Shaw character into a wisecracking female Reese.

With me it's just gotham and supergirl

but cant find them online ( find on https://www.google.com only )

Anybody else seen or is watching The Real O'Neals? It's about a Catholic family with an uptight mother who's divorcing the father (who now lives in the basement) and their three kids, one of whom has just come out of the closet. A pretty funny show.

Does anyone else watch Archer besides Jerjo? if you've never seen it, here are a few lines of great dialogue from recent episodes:

Background: Archer and his co-horts are working undercover at a party to protect a valuable necklace worn by an actress when a group of burglars break in to steal it. The burglars are all wearing clown masks. Everyone at the party is taken hostage. Cheryl, the secretary for the agency where Archer works and who has masochistic sexual proclivities, turns out also to have coulrophilia (a sexual attraction to clowns) and she's very attracted to the leader of the burglars.

In reference to the leader of the burglars, she states, "he just soaks me."
    And later, "Oh my God. I'm so turned on I think I'm actually getting dehydrated."

In last week's episode, a female client wants one of the women at the agency to seduce her husband to prove his infidelity.
    Pam, the HR manager at the agency, says, "Aw, man. Lousy timing. My bush looks like I'm sitting on Jerry Garcia's face."

I'm waiting for Netflix Canada to add the latest season of Archer.. Absolutely love that show! Another animated show that makes me laugh out loud is Brickleberry. I'm about halfway through the second season and I think there has been only 1 so-so episode so far! WARNING: Those of you averse to non-politically-correct humour best stay away from this show.
    "Corn Flakes pissed in. You ranted. Mission accomplished. Thread closed."

-Cozy 3:16-

Highly Evolved Orangutan JKL2000's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Yves View Post
    I'm waiting for Netflix Canada to add the latest season of Archer.. Absolutely love that show! Another animated show that makes me laugh out loud is Brickleberry. I'm about halfway through the second season and I think there has been only 1 so-so episode so far! WARNING: Those of you averse to non-politically-correct humour best stay away from this show.
    Have you watched Mr. Pickles? That show's insane. My son likes the adult animated shows like Family Guy, etc. (he's 17), but Mr. Pickles was so over the top gross it turned him off and he wouldn't watch more than just a couple.

Yeah, you should all be probably watching Archer

I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down.'- Bob Newhart

Could I pitch a curve ball and divert our attention to that type of programme that has had many horrible names over the years: reality TV, docusoap, docurama etc., which shows various types of people at the normal work. Personally, I like to call them everyday life programmes.

(HOWEVER, I'm not interested in all those fake progs with no conclusive conclusons like Lost Giants and Lost Gold and Searching for Hitler, nor in staged "locked in" progs, like Big Brother, Paradise Hotel or the naked in the jungle or surviving on an island types)

My very favourites at the moment are:

Down East Dickering
    Aussie Pickers
    Salvage Hunters (UK)
    and the two with the freaky curiosity shops in NY and SF.

On the competiton side of these progs, I'm really enjoying Forged in Fire.