Page 188 of 330 FirstFirst ... 88138178184185186187188189190191192198238288 ... LastLast
Results 4,676 to 4,700 of 8240

Thread: Current fav US TV series

Quote Originally Posted by SteveSly View Post
    Are you talking about "Us" the movie?
    No, the TV mini-series. Recently aired.
    Interviewer of reprobate ne'er-do-well musicians of the long-haired rock n' roll persuasion at: www.velvetthunder.co.uk and former scribe at Classic Rock Society. Only vaguely aware of anything other than music.

*** Join me in the Garden of Delights for 3 hours of tune-spinning... every Saturday at 5pm EST on Deep Nuggets radio! www.deepnuggets.com ***

Quote Originally Posted by Progatron View Post
    No, the TV mini-series. Recently aired.
    Ah, ok. I did not even know about that. I will be interested in what you think.

PBS is running a documentary on Buddy Guy Tuesday night if anyone is interested. I think it is part of their American Masters series.
    Also, tonight on the PBS World sub-channel is a doc about Charlie "Bird" Parker. It airs again in the wee hours of the morning.
    "Well my son, life is like a beanstalk, isn't it?"--Dalai Lama

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Firth View Post
    I have 3 PBS stations, MPT, ETA and HUT. MPT and ETA are carrying that Queen show.
    https://video.mpt.tv/video/queen-a-n...-opera-b9ldug/

Quote Originally Posted by progmatist View Post
    Also, tonight on the PBS World sub-channel is a doc about Charlie "Bird" Parker. It airs again in the wee hours of the morning.
    Is this something new or is it the one Clint Eastwood made about him quite a few years ago?

Quote Originally Posted by Klonk View Post
    Friends who know my tastes have constantly told me i'd like Bosch over on Amazon Prime. I finally started it over the weekend and I'm hooked. Great cast of characters so far. Cool storylines. Lookin' forward to these 7 seasons...up to episode 6 in season 1 at the moment. Good stuff!
    Yay! Another fan.

We blew through Season 7 in a few days. Now we have the long wait for the spin-off series.
    Music isn't about chops, or even about talent - it's about sound and the way that sound communicates to people. Mike Keneally

Is this something new or is it the one Clint Eastwood made about him quite a few years ago?
    The latter.

Member since March 2004 mozo-pg's Avatar
    Watching season one (of 3) of The Ozark. All pretty despicable characters and I'm 7 episodes in. Still waiting to be drawn in.
    What can this strange device be? When I touch it, it brings forth a sound (2112)

Quote Originally Posted by mozo-pg View Post
    Watching season one (of 3) of The Ozark. All pretty despicable characters and I'm 7 episodes in. Still waiting to be drawn in.
    I got halfway through the second season before I had to bail. Besides there being basically zero likable characters, the premise just got more and more outlandish, at least to me. And I'm a big Laura Linney fan.

Quote Originally Posted by Scott Bails View Post
    Yay! Another fan.

We blew through Season 7 in a few days. Now we have the long wait for the spin-off series.
    It's great! I really like all the different personalities and storylines and this is just from watching season 1 which I finished last night. Lookin' forward to season 2. 7th season is the final season?
    "Who would have thought a whale would be so heavy?" - Moe Sizlak

I tend to give up on shows where I hope all the characters get killed, or at least don't like all or almost all of the characters. I recall bailing on Mad Men for that reason.

Quote Originally Posted by Klonk View Post
    It's great! I really like all the different personalities and storylines and this is just from watching season 1 which I finished last night. Lookin' forward to season 2. 7th season is the final season?
    Yes, it is. And it's cool that they were already planning the spin-off, as they set it up very well.

(Which begs the question, why not just continue with the series?)
    Music isn't about chops, or even about talent - it's about sound and the way that sound communicates to people. Mike Keneally

Parrots Ripped My Flesh Dave (in MA)'s Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Scott Bails View Post
    Yes, it is. And it's cool that they were already planning the spin-off, as they set it up very well.

(Which begs the question, why not just continue with the series?)
    I didn't read 'em, but my brother told me they're following the books to some degree, and in the books he goes private after they reorg the LAPD, and then goes back on the force later, and retires and works as a PI again, and later on hires onto San Fernando PD as a consultant. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Harry_Bosch
    ...none of which would preclude continuing to call a show about the Bosch character "Bosch".

Quote Originally Posted by headcrash View Post
    I got halfway through the second season before I had to bail. Besides there being basically zero likable characters, the premise just got more and more outlandish, at least to me. And I'm a big Laura Linney fan.
    I thought the 3rd season was the best of the 3. I can get where people can get frustrated with Ozark, but I have enjoyed it for the most part. I thought season 3 ramped it up quite a bit with an unexpected cliffhanger ending.

I got halfway through the second season before I had to bail. Besides there being basically zero likable characters, the premise just got more and more outlandish, at least to me.
    I started becoming disinterested during the first season and bailed two or three episodes into the second.

And I'm a big Laura Linney fan.
    You and me both!

I will say that, tho, that this show considerably upped my esteem for Jason Bateman.
    “From thirty feet away she looked like a lot of class. From ten feet away she looked like something made up to be seen from thirty feet away.” – Philip Marlowe

I'm here for the moosic NogbadTheBad's Avatar
    I keep picking it up, dropping it, and then coming back to it to see if I have any interest. Seeing the comments I'm guessing it's not going to be on my watch list much longer.
    Ian

Host of the Post-Avant Jazzcore Happy Hour on progrock.com
    https://podcasts.progrock.com/post-a...re-happy-hour/

Gordon Haskell - "You've got to keep the groove in your head and play a load of bollocks instead"
    I blame Wynton, what was the question?
    There are only 10 types of people in the World, those who understand binary and those that don't.

Quote Originally Posted by Hal... View Post
    I started becoming disinterested during the first season and bailed two or three episodes into the second.

You and me both!

I will say that, tho, that this show considerably upped my esteem for Jason Bateman.
    Agree, he is good as is Julia Garner. She was also great in her recurring role in "The Americans".

We watched all three seasons of Ozark and enjoyed it, but yes it gets very far-fetched and implausible. Good acting though.

Still struggling with White Lotus. What is this show trying to be? For a comedy, the laughs are few and far between. It drags like crazy and it seems they're trying to be arty where arty is not going to work. The story itself is intriguing and I'm curious what happens, I just wish the episodes were half an hour, with the bloat removed. But the worst part is the excruciating and annoying music played pervasively through every episode, even while characters are talking. I hate trying to discern dialogue because the music is so inexplicably loud.
    Interviewer of reprobate ne'er-do-well musicians of the long-haired rock n' roll persuasion at: www.velvetthunder.co.uk and former scribe at Classic Rock Society. Only vaguely aware of anything other than music.

*** Join me in the Garden of Delights for 3 hours of tune-spinning... every Saturday at 5pm EST on Deep Nuggets radio! www.deepnuggets.com ***

Quote Originally Posted by Progatron View Post
    I hate trying to discern dialogue because the music is so inexplicably loud.
    I now know why my grandfather always had the TV turned up to 11 back when I was a kid. Thank heaven for closed captioning.

I now know why my grandfather always had the TV turned up to 11 back when I was a kid. Thank heaven for closed captioning.
    It's true. I'm thankful for captioning, but resentful that I need it so often, when it needn't be that way.

I find the dialogue in most movies and shows to be too low. Or, the other ambient sounds and music too loud. Po-tay-to, po-tah-to.

Either way, it's very annoying. I can see the explosion. I don't need my walls knocked down to know what happened.

^^^ So true. Another one that I can never hear is when they switch back and forth between characters on a phone call. I can never understand a word when I'm hearing it through the phone from the onscreen character's perspective.

PBS is running a documentary on Buddy Guy Tuesday night if anyone is interested. I think it is part of their American Masters series.
    The hour preceding this will be Chuck Berry "In Their Own Words." Also new.

You're all just half deaf from all those loud concerts you went to 40-50 years ago.

Seriously, I agree wholeheartedly. I learned several years ago from an engineer at FoxSports (iirc) that a lot of the time the problem is that the sound is mixed for 5.1 or 7.1 not simple 2 channel stereo and if that's all you got, you're kinda fucked. However, if you're running your sound through a newish 2 channel stereo, there may be a Dolby or surround setting to fix it.

That said, I noticed 15-20 years ago that some shows would play a song at the end as the show wrapped up and the dialogue was too low in the mix. I've since noticed it happens a lot, especially with sporting events. There's been times I've been watching a F1 race and could barely hear the commentators (Sky Sports seems to have solved this problem). The same for the Tour de France. I've been watching some of the Olympic events on NBC's sports app and the ambient noise is sometimes so fucking loud you can't hear the commentators. At all! And I am not exaggerating. And what's particularly bad about it is that all they need to do is add a limiter that keeps the volume of the ambient noise at about 6-9 dB less than the commentators' microphones. But I guess a multi billion dollar media company like NBC Universal can't fork out a few thousand bucks for one.

And speaking of the NBC Sports app... OMG, how infuriating it can be. I watched a couple of cycling events and they'd go along just fine with seemingly limited commercial breaks. One problem, however, is they don't pause the action, so you'll hear a commentator talking about something and right in the middle of that an ad comes on. The commercial may only be 15-30 seconds but you completely miss what the person was saying. WTF? If I had to guess, I'd say they're taking the ad free coverage from NBC Gold and inserting the ads over top of it without consideration for the commentating. At least when ESPN rebroadcasts the tape of Sky's coverage of a F1 race, they pause the race for the commercial.

But later during that cycling event, when the action started heating up, the ads started coming hot and heavy. I probably wouldn't complain since they're so short but there was one time where they had 4 or 5 ad breaks in the span of 10 or 15 minutes! Thankfully, they went commercial free for the last 20-30 minutes. But still, they didn't even show the medal ceremony for that event. Un-fucking-believable.

Oh, I almost forgot: there are only 6 or 7 ads; they just repeat them. Jesus Christ, how many times do I have to watch the same fucking Chase credit card commercial?

</rant>

Sorry. I gotta little worked up.
    “From thirty feet away she looked like a lot of class. From ten feet away she looked like something made up to be seen from thirty feet away.” – Philip Marlowe

Banned
    If your audio system is stereo, the source device needs to be set to output stereo. If you are streaming from a stream device (Apple TV, Roku, Smart TV), you set the output to stereo. Same for a cable box.