Page 184 of 330 FirstFirst ... 84134174180181182183184185186187188194234284 ... LastLast
Results 4,576 to 4,600 of 8227

Thread: Current fav US TV series

Quote Originally Posted by NogbadTheBad View Post
    The line has to be drawn somewhere.
    Quote Originally Posted by Jerjo View Post
    But I am not adding on anything for a semi-permanent basis that we will rarely watch.
    To me, the release of Foundation is even more significant than the making of the LotR trilogy. In fact, I think it's the most significant thing to happen to SF&F since the release of 2001: A Space Odyssey.

But I guess it's not a priority for you. In which case, I take back what I said about you being idiots. You must, however, return your SF&F fan membership cards.
    “From thirty feet away she looked like a lot of class. From ten feet away she looked like something made up to be seen from thirty feet away.” – Philip Marlowe

I'm here for the moosic NogbadTheBad's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Hal... View Post
    To me, the release of Foundation is even more significant than the making of the LotR trilogy. In fact, I think it's the most significant thing to happen to SF&F since the release of 2001: A Space Odyssey.

But I guess it's not a priority for you. In which case, I take back what I said about you being idiots. You must, however, return your SF&F fan membership cards.

I totally get it, if I was that much into Foundation I would certainly pay for it. I would do the same thing with Good Omens and Altered Carbon. That's just one SF&F 'franchise' I'm not as buried in. And no you can't have my membership card back. It's my precious.
    Ian

Host of the Post-Avant Jazzcore Happy Hour on progrock.com
    https://podcasts.progrock.com/post-a...re-happy-hour/

Gordon Haskell - "You've got to keep the groove in your head and play a load of bollocks instead"
    I blame Wynton, what was the question?
    There are only 10 types of people in the World, those who understand binary and those that don't.

Also, we've started watching Kevin Can F&$#K Himself on AMC. It's a bleak but intriguing premise and the execution is pretty good. You know all those sitcoms that have a fat slob of a blue collar husband married to a gorgeous wife. This is told from the perspective of the wife. When Kevin is onscreen, it's shot and lit just like your standard three-camera sitcom, complete with a laugh track. But as soon as Kevin is offscreen, it goes single camera with lower lighting and shows what a toll being married to a self-centered asshole like Kevin would be. This is going on auto-record for the rest of the season.
    I wanted to love this show. I hated it so much I wanted to punch my television. The bleak part was fine. The "comedy" parts were not funny at all - just annoying. I wish I read that one of the writers for Lodge 49 was behind it before I watched - I wouldn't have bothered.

I give AMC credit - they put out oddball show after oddball show. A lot of misses but when they come through they come through big. Kevin is a steaming turd.

The first season of Gangs of London on AMC was fantastic. The most violent show I've ever seen on television. It makes The Walking Dead look like Sesame Street. Had a weird twist in the last couple of episodes. Will be interesting to see where they go in season two.

Quote Originally Posted by Hal... View Post
    I would like to agree with you.

But it looks to me as if the tv series will have very little to do with the books. (A clone of Hari Seldon?!?! Yeesh, that would have changed things quite a bit right there...) So I won't pony up for what I suspect will be an atrocity on the level of Peter Jackson's Hobbit flims. (No, I don't mean films.)
    Cobra handling and cocaine use are a bad mix.

Apple TV+ does not have a lot of content, however it does have some excellent shows.

At $4.99/month I would recommend getting it for a month or three and watching a bunch of things then cancel.

Here is what I'd say to watch (in order):

Ted Lasso (season two dropping at the end of the month) - Outstanding first season. I thought it looked dumb, but a friend said to watch it. Really great.
    Mythic Quest (two seasons so far) - Another outstanding comedy, with some drama mixed in. From some of the people who did "It's Always Sunny in Philadelphia" - A must see.
    For All Mankind (2 seasons so far). Alternate history regarding the space race. Very good.
    Dickinson (2 seasons so far) - A quirky period comedy, well done fictional account of Emily Dickinson's life. Sounds dumb, but was quite enjoyable.

A lot of people liked The Morning Show. I didn't really like it, bailed. But that's just me.
    Really looking forward to The Foundation - glad to see they finally have a start date.

So for 15 bucks and then out. some really good shows that I liked a lot (less than the price of two movie tickets ----- remember the movies????)

Just a suggestion from your old pal Moribund2. Formerly know as, oddly, Moribund.

Quote Originally Posted by LASERCD View Post
    I wanted to love this show. I hated it so much I wanted to punch my television. The bleak part was fine. The "comedy" parts were not funny at all - just annoying. I wish I read that one of the writers for Lodge 49 was behind it before I watched - I wouldn't have bothered.

I give AMC credit - they put out oddball show after oddball show. A lot of misses but when they come through they come through big. Kevin is a steaming turd.
    We just got through the third episode but it's falling apart. We're done. Like I said, an interesting premise but the execution just isn't there.
    I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down.'- Bob Newhart

Subterranean Tapir Hobo Chang Ba's Avatar
    We just got through the third episode but it's falling apart. We're done. Like I said, an interesting premise but the execution just isn't there.
    Yeah...I only watched the first episode and I don't really have much desire to keep going. I may force myself to at least watch two or three more episodes, but given what you've and others have said, I'm probably not going to.
    Please don't ask questions, just use google.

Never let good music get in the way of making a profit.

I'm only here to reglaze my bathtub.

been binging Mozart In The Jungle on Amazon Prime.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    A gentleman is defined as someone who knows how to play the accordion, and doesn't.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Moribund2 View Post
    Apple TV+ does not have a lot of content, however it does have some excellent shows.

At $4.99/month I would recommend getting it for a month or three and watching a bunch of things then cancel.
    Yes, however it provides a generic search capability across multiple apps worth of content. Not all apps with content but many of the important ones. But wait, that works on my Apple TV 4K (the hardware), but does that work for the Apple TV app on a different platform?

Any love for Lillyhammer?

Quote Originally Posted by nycsteve View Post
    I watched the first season and it was fun. It mocked the American obsession with violence and the Norwegian political correctness. But then it just got more and more of the same. I stopped watching somewhere near the end of season 2.

Quote Originally Posted by thedunno View Post
    I watched the first season and it was fun. It mocked the American obsession with violence and the Norwegian political correctness. But then it just got more and more of the same. I stopped watching somewhere near the end of season 2.
    I watched the first 4-5. Has its moments , unsure of continuing. I do want to like it.

I think I have posted this before, but I watched all 3 seasons. In the last season there were more and more cameos from people who had been in the Sopranos. I read an interview a while back that VanZant was hoping to have a season 4 and was going to end it with everything being a dream that Silvio (from the Sopranos) had. Unfortunately, the show got cancelled before he could end it.

Anyway, I enjoyed it for what it was. Good, but not great.

Anybody a fan of Foyle's War? Great series about a detective and his cohorts during the lead up to WWII, the war itself, and the Cold War. Highly recommended!

I'm here for the moosic NogbadTheBad's Avatar
    Great show, but then I'm a sucker for vintage British detective dramas.
    Ian

Host of the Post-Avant Jazzcore Happy Hour on progrock.com
    https://podcasts.progrock.com/post-a...re-happy-hour/

Gordon Haskell - "You've got to keep the groove in your head and play a load of bollocks instead"
    I blame Wynton, what was the question?
    There are only 10 types of people in the World, those who understand binary and those that don't.

I mean, any show with an actress named Honeysuckle Weeks, how can you resist?

I'm trying to dig into Bosch again. My brother and nephew love this show but to me, it seems a little generic. Tough detective with a horrible past - been there, done that. But damn, that jazz score is sweet.
    I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down.'- Bob Newhart

^ Bosch's house is cool, too!

Member since March 2004 mozo-pg's Avatar
    We're now on season 4 for Handmaid's Tale. Overall, the most exciting part of the plot was the ending of season two. Three was fine but not as high impact. We're looking forward to finishing the series.
    Last edited by mozo-pg; 07-07-2021 at 03:25 PM.
    What can this strange device be? When I touch it, it brings forth a sound (2112)

I'm trying to dig into Bosch again. My brother and nephew love this show but to me, it seems a little generic. Tough detective with a horrible past - been there, done that. But damn, that jazz score is sweet.
    Probably my favorite show. Titus Welliver is just so good in the role.
    Music isn't about chops, or even about talent - it's about sound and the way that sound communicates to people. Mike Keneally

I loved Lillyhammer...It's strength was the characters, absolutely priceless cast. It did deteriorate through the seasons and I felt it did not need to go on. This YTube clip became the mascot of our Wednesday Basement Listening Sessions, just roll it and laugh your head off!
    Dave Sr.

I prefer Nature to Human Nature

Quote Originally Posted by Scott Bails View Post
    Probably my favorite show. Titus Welliver is just so good in the role.
    OK, I'll stick with it. The acting is very good and mercy, my complements to Annie Wersching's personal trainer but I see now she's only in 13 episodes.

I'm with you on Bosch. We watched the first 2 seasons but weren't drawn in enough to continue. Though fans seem to think it's just getting started there and it gets better going forward. Maybe we'll continue when we run out of other stuff.
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    A gentleman is defined as someone who knows how to play the accordion, and doesn't.

I recommend the Bosch books if you've never read them. They're really at the top of the heap as far as the crime novel genre goes. The show is somewhat of a pastiche of several of the books with some new material. I think they do a fair job of recreating the atmosphere and the plots. The books are way better.