Page 165 of 329 FirstFirst ... 65115155161162163164165166167168169175215265 ... LastLast
Results 4,101 to 4,125 of 8222

Thread: Current fav US TV series

I hate NASCAR but I will admit that the level of coordination and stamina needed to survive, let alone win, at that speed is incredible. Golf is still a pretty good workout, especially if you not the sort of bloated orange meat suit who takes the cart everywhere including onto the damn green. To succeed at the pro level requires stamina, a powerful core, superior hand/eye coordination (ever see the below video where Tiger bounces a a ball on a clubhead and then wallops it down the course>), and a ridiculous amount of stress.

I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down.'- Bob Newhart

Look at how much later in life golfers remain viable in their careers compared to other sports. Then note that basic athletic traits like speed, stamina, jumping etc that are crucial in other sports are not present in Golf. Below the Professional level, golf is a duffer's game.

Quote Originally Posted by moecurlythanu View Post
    Look at how much later in life golfers remain viable in their careers compared to other sports. Then note that basic athletic traits like speed, stamina, jumping etc that are crucial in other sports are not present in Golf.
    That's not a very good argument; not every sport requires running or jumping. You try walking a golf course in summer heat and keeping your concentration and stamina up enough to be able to focus on correctly swinging a golf club and actually getting the ball to go where you want it to. Not sure why you don't want to admit that golfers are athletes.

Below the Professional level, golf is a duffer's game.
    Oh wait, now I see. Sheesh, man... I'm sorry, but that just ain't true. My grandfather and my dad both played golf regularly for most of their adults lives, and neither one of them were professionals nor "duffers". My grandfather in particular wasn't exactly out of shape either (he was in the marines in his youth), but he quit playing when he got into his 70s because his hand-eye coordination made it near impossible to hit the ball anymore. My father quit because he has such bad back and knee problems, largely from injuries when playing basketball and football when he was young. It's a drag, because I would have liked to play golf with my father once I got into my adulthood, but that wasn't possible. Golf requires a lot more physically than you're insinuating.

I don't get this elitist attitude towards golf, but this isn't the first time I've seen it. Being a prog forum, maybe I shouldn't be surprised, but it's still not cool.
    Last edited by aith01; 02-07-2021 at 06:26 PM.

^ It's opinions about a game. Don't let it cause you so much angst. It's not a big deal. In fact, it's nothing.

^ It's opinions about a game. Don't let it cause you so much angst. It's not a big deal. In fact, it's nothing.
    It's not causing me any angst actually. However, it does surprise me to see this kind of thing coming from you.

Whatever. You're wrong about golf, but that's a small thing in the grand scheme I suppose.
    Last edited by aith01; 02-08-2021 at 12:16 AM.

Season 3 of The Sinner just hit Netflix. I am loving it as I am half way through.
    A Comfort Zone is not a Life Sentence

Look at how much later in life golfers remain viable in their careers compared to other sports. Then note that basic athletic traits like speed, stamina, jumping etc that are crucial in other sports are not present in Golf. Below the Professional level, golf is a duffer's game.
    Pro golf has the senior tour which allows those older guys to still compete against each other, but you don't see many golfers at the top level after a certain age competing in the top PGA group. Regarding golf being a duffers game, yes that may be true for a lot of people (myself included), but at the professional level it is nothing but.

Quote Originally Posted by Jerjo View Post
    I also started going through Star Trek: Discovery. I have heard that season three is excellent, almost the level of the Picard series. So I figured I would endure the early seasons, which I had heard a lot of bitching about. But I'm five episodes in on season one and while I have issues (if this takes place before Star Trek: Original Series, why is the tech so much more advanced), it's downright good. The space battles are shit but then again, Star Trek's notion of what happens in space has always been fantasy. But the characters are good and the Klingon Big Bad is on an interesting journey. I'm enjoying it.
    The thing is, with the exception of the original series, Trek shows always catch fire about the third season. They're ensemble shows (where the original was star-oriented), and the cast have to feel their way into their roles and, more importantly, their relationships.

I suspect that ST:Picard is an exception to this, but I don't know as I don't have CBS's prime service, so I've seen neither it nor Discovery.
    Cobra handling and cocaine use are a bad mix.

Quote Originally Posted by Sturgeon's Lawyer View Post
    The thing is, with the exception of the original series, Trek shows always catch fire about the third season. They're ensemble shows (where the original was star-oriented), and the cast have to feel their way into their roles and, more importantly, their relationships.

I suspect that ST:Picard is an exception to this, but I don't know as I don't have CBS's prime service, so I've seen neither it nor Discovery.
    The 3th discovery season is the worst so far and it was already very bad in season 1 and 2. Imho of course.

It is interesting the widely varying opinions on Picard and Discovery. I haven't watched either myself, but I'm interested in seeing where I fall in that statistic.

Quote Originally Posted by progmatist View Post
    Don't get me started on "sports" which require judging, like figure skating and gymnastics.
    [virtual high-five]
    Music isn't about chops, or even about talent - it's about sound and the way that sound communicates to people. Mike Keneally

I loved Picard and thought that Discovery sucked.

I'm here for the moosic NogbadTheBad's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Guitarplyrjvb View Post
    I loved Picard and thought that Discovery sucked.
    This is my view also.
    Ian

Host of the Post-Avant Jazzcore Happy Hour on progrock.com
    https://podcasts.progrock.com/post-a...re-happy-hour/

Gordon Haskell - "You've got to keep the groove in your head and play a load of bollocks instead"
    I blame Wynton, what was the question?
    There are only 10 types of people in the World, those who understand binary and those that don't.

Quote Originally Posted by Sturgeon's Lawyer View Post

This has been my experience with the Trek series as well; they just seem to get "heavier" as they go. Decidedly so with TNG and DS9. Voyager grabbed me a little earlier in its run. Never watched an episode of Enterprise or Discovery. I finally got around to Picard last week and I would have to say I enjoyed it pretty deeply from the get. I suspect it's due to the gravitas of Patrick Stewart and the vast mythology already in place as a backdrop for the storyline(s). There's no chance that it will last seven seasons as the "big three" did, but I found enough to enjoy and appreciate to make me look forward to season two.
    David
    Happy with what I have to be happy with.

Having a Pulitzer Prize/National Book Award winning author sitting in as showrunner/writer was likely a boost for Picard that other Trek series didn't have.
    I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down.'- Bob Newhart

Parrots Ripped My Flesh Dave (in MA)'s Avatar
    I have golf courses 1/4 mi to the West, 3/4 mi to the East and 3/4 mi to the North of my house, so that keeps the rampant development going on around here to a minimum and keeps things relatively quiet; that's the only thing about golf that I like.

The only time I like golf is when there's railroad crossing signs, tunnels and giraffes.

One more episode of Don't F*** With Cats left...pretty crazy shit!
    "Who would have thought a whale would be so heavy?" - Moe Sizlak

I'm here for the moosic NogbadTheBad's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Lou View Post
    Season 3 of The Sinner just hit Netflix. I am loving it as I am half way through.
    I've been waiting on this one.
    Ian

Host of the Post-Avant Jazzcore Happy Hour on progrock.com
    https://podcasts.progrock.com/post-a...re-happy-hour/

Gordon Haskell - "You've got to keep the groove in your head and play a load of bollocks instead"
    I blame Wynton, what was the question?
    There are only 10 types of people in the World, those who understand binary and those that don't.

Don't let your meatloaf! Paulie's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Klonk View Post
    The only time I like golf is when there's railroad crossing signs, tunnels and giraffes.

Yup, we loved that one. The final episode brings it all together. This kid was obsessed.

Another one similar, and just as binge-worthy was "I'll Be Gone in the Dark." This is a great story of Michelle McNamara's (Patton Oswalt's late wife and author of the book by the same name) obsession with The Golden State Killer and how her and other amateur sleuths came together and pretty all but handcuffed the Serial rapist/killer after a 10+ year spree that eluded officials. Good stuff!!!
    "That gum you like is going to come back in style."

Quote Originally Posted by Lou View Post
    Nice. We really enjoyed the first two seasons.
    Music isn't about chops, or even about talent - it's about sound and the way that sound communicates to people. Mike Keneally

Quote Originally Posted by Klonk View Post

That one was disturbing, but interesting.

Anyone heard of a mini-series on HBO Max called The Head? It's about an international group of scientists working the winter shift at an Antarctic research station. The show begins with a party attended by the summer and winter crews prior to the shift change.

13˝ minutes into the first episode, the show jumps ahead to 6 months later when the summer crew returns to find nearly every one of the winter crew dead. Much of the story is then told in flashback as the summer crew commander questions the only two remaining survivors while also trying to find out what happened to his wife, who's the one winter crewmember missing.

The show is in 6 parts, each roughly 50 minutes long. I thought it was pretty good.
    “From thirty feet away she looked like a lot of class. From ten feet away she looked like something made up to be seen from thirty feet away.” – Philip Marlowe

Quote Originally Posted by Dave (in MA) View Post
    I have golf courses 1/4 mi to the West, 3/4 mi to the East and 3/4 mi to the North of my house, so that keeps the rampant development going on around here to a minimum and keeps things relatively quiet; that's the only thing about golf that I like.
    I have to laugh when States like Alabama advertise locally, and their main selling point is golf. Yeah, we can't play golf around here. It's not like we have golf courses everywhere, including the "active adult community" where my parents live. It's not like we have beautiful weather in the winter.
    "Well my son, life is like a beanstalk, isn't it?"--Dalai Lama

Quote Originally Posted by Hal... View Post
    Anyone heard of a mini-series on HBO Max called The Head? It's about an international group of scientists working the winter shift at an Antarctic research station. The show begins with a party attended by the summer and winter crews prior to the shift change.

13˝ minutes into the first episode, the show jumps ahead to 6 months later when the summer crew returns to find nearly every one of the winter crew dead. Much of the story is then told in flashback as the summer crew commander questions the only two remaining survivors while also trying to find out what happened to his wife, who's the one winter crewmember missing.

The show is in 6 parts, each roughly 50 minutes long. I thought it was pretty good.
    Spoiler alert: Khan put these Trilobite looking creatures into their ears, which wrapped around their brain stem...

Quote Originally Posted by Hal... View Post

That sounds pretty awesome.

Spoiler alert: Khan put these Trilobite looking creatures into their ears, which wrapped around their brain stem...
    I'm still traumatized by that scene.