Page 164 of 330 FirstFirst ... 64114154160161162163164165166167168174214264 ... LastLast
Results 4,076 to 4,100 of 8227

Thread: Current fav US TV series

Quote Originally Posted by SteveSly View Post
    Mmmmmm.........ok, so just what exactly is so horrible about him? The doc is a warts and all portrayal of a guy who from the age of 2 was groomed to do nothing but golf. He had a very abnormal childhood and developed practically no social or life skills. When fame hit him (and it hit him at a level very few people ever reach), he had a very hard time handling it. There were also expectations on him to be a role model for the institutions of golf and black people in general. The documentary follows his golf triumphs as possibly the greatest of all time, but it also shows his negative side including his womanizing / sex addiction. Problems with alcohol / drugs and aspects of his life that are not pretty. I am not sure that I would I would call him "horrible" though. Yes, he cheated on his wife, yes he treated some people like shit, and yes he had some very human problems. Curious about your opinion of him?
    I don't care about Tiger one way or the other but he reacted like a lot of people who are thrust into the spotlight and have to live their life in a fishbowl. All the bad stuff he went through, whether of his own volition or not, shows he's human. And in some respects, he handled it better than most probably would. I mean, he was on Merv Griffin when he was 4(?) for, Christ's sake. And then, to make matters worse, he has to deal with people rooting against him because of his skin color or people making racist jokes, like Fuzzy Zoeller did at the Masters.

It seems to me handled things a lot better than Michael Jackson ever did.

Disclaimer: I rooted against him only so he wouldn't beat fellow Buckeye Jack Nicklaus' record. But, then, I'd root against anyone challenging his record - unless it was another Buckeye, of course. But if I had to spend time with either one of them for whatever reason, I'd pick Tiger in a heartbeat without a second thought.
    “From thirty feet away she looked like a lot of class. From ten feet away she looked like something made up to be seen from thirty feet away.” – Philip Marlowe

Golf was fun to watch on Sundays when Tiger was in his prime. He'd start the day a few shots off the leaders and then start a surge. The guy or guys in the lead would hear the crowd getting worked up with every incredible shot and they'd fall apart with every shot. And then Tiger would shoot another eagle. He got in his competitors heads like no one else in his sport.
    I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down.'- Bob Newhart

Quote Originally Posted by mozo-pg View Post
    Well, I'm digging back into the well again. I was really surprised to see Dexter includes 8 seasons. Wow, this show really had legs. I'm on the first episode of season one. Let the revenge killing begin! He quickly establishes the MO of his personality and the other characters (sister, father, coworkers) are all introduced. The tone is set. I remember so of the later seasons had episodes where you would shake your head (absurd plot lines at times). Still, this is a high quality series with lots of twists and turns. My favourite episode is the one where he travels to the UK to see revenge on a women nemesis.
    A new season is currently in production. Not sure when it is being released though. I thought the show was pretty solid all the way through, although it went a bit over the top at times.

I loved Dexter...especially those first 4-5 seasons. Man that was some awesome stuff. I didn't like the direction it went with sis. And good Lord what an awful finish
    "Who would have thought a whale would be so heavy?" - Moe Sizlak

Any like for "The Mayor"? Ted Danson and Holly Hunter make a pretty good team. Much like The Good Place Danson gets some good lines but Hunter gets the zingers.
    If it does not get too repetitive too fast, it might be a good season.
    "It is the mark of an educated mind to be able to entertain a thought without accepting it."
    -- Aristotle
    Nostalgia, you know, ain't what it used to be. Furthermore, they tells me, it never was.
    “A Man Who Does Not Read Has No Appreciable Advantage Over the Man Who Cannot Read” - Mark Twain

Quote Originally Posted by markwoll View Post
    Any like for "The Mayor"? Ted Danson and Holly Hunter make a pretty good team. Much like The Good Place Danson gets some good lines but Hunter gets the zingers.
    If it does not get too repetitive too fast, it might be a good season.
    I have been curious about it. I tend to shy away from network comedies, but this one looks like it might be funny.

Quote Originally Posted by markwoll View Post
    Yep, I've been watching it and I meant to mention it, here. Good show, but I think there's something a little lacking about it, too. But it's still early.

I have been curious about it. I tend to shy away from network comedies, but this one looks like it might be funny.
    It was created and is written by the same team that created 30 Rock and Unbreakable Kimmy Schmidt: Tina Fey & Robert Carlock.
    “From thirty feet away she looked like a lot of class. From ten feet away she looked like something made up to be seen from thirty feet away.” – Philip Marlowe

Member since March 2004 mozo-pg's Avatar
    A new season is currently in production. Not sure when it is being released though. I thought the show was pretty solid all the way through, although it went a bit over the top at times.
    I didn't know they're in production. I'm definitely interested.

Quote Originally Posted by Klonk View Post
    I loved Dexter...especially those first 4-5 seasons. Man that was some awesome stuff. I didn't like the direction it went with sis. And good Lord what an awful finish
    Yeah, early seasons were they best. I'm really enjoying the Ice Truck Killer in the first season.
    What can this strange device be? When I touch it, it brings forth a sound (2112)

I just found out that Babylon 5 can be streamed on HBO Max. Oh hell yes!
    I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down.'- Bob Newhart

We watched the first episode of Resident Alien from SyFy. It's pretty fun (and dark).

I'm here for the moosic NogbadTheBad's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Jerjo View Post
    We watched the first episode of Resident Alien from SyFy. It's pretty fun (and dark).
    Cool, plan to check that one
    Ian

Host of the Post-Avant Jazzcore Happy Hour on progrock.com
    https://podcasts.progrock.com/post-a...re-happy-hour/

Gordon Haskell - "You've got to keep the groove in your head and play a load of bollocks instead"
    I blame Wynton, what was the question?
    There are only 10 types of people in the World, those who understand binary and those that don't.

Quote Originally Posted by NogbadTheBad View Post
    Cool, plan to check that one
    I already love this show. Alan Tudyk is perfect for it.
    Music isn't about chops, or even about talent - it's about sound and the way that sound communicates to people. Mike Keneally

It also airs on USA Network. Both are properties of Comcast/Universal/NBC, or whatever the conglomerate is calling itself these days.
    "Well my son, life is like a beanstalk, isn't it?"--Dalai Lama

I'm here for the moosic NogbadTheBad's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by progmatist View Post
    It also airs on USA Network. Both are properties of Comcast/Universal/NBC, or whatever the conglomerate is calling itself these days.
    Leviathan.
    Ian

Host of the Post-Avant Jazzcore Happy Hour on progrock.com
    https://podcasts.progrock.com/post-a...re-happy-hour/

Gordon Haskell - "You've got to keep the groove in your head and play a load of bollocks instead"
    I blame Wynton, what was the question?
    There are only 10 types of people in the World, those who understand binary and those that don't.

Oh shit. I forgot about it. Thanks for the reminder.

Mmmmmm.........ok, so just what exactly is so horrible about him? The doc is a warts and all portrayal of a guy who from the age of 2 was groomed to do nothing but golf. He had a very abnormal childhood and developed practically no social or life skills. When fame hit him (and it hit him at a level very few people ever reach), he had a very hard time handling it. There were also expectations on him to be a role model for the institutions of golf and black people in general. The documentary follows his golf triumphs as possibly the greatest of all time, but it also shows his negative side including his womanizing / sex addiction. Problems with alcohol / drugs and aspects of his life that are not pretty. I am not sure that I would I would call him "horrible" though. Yes, he cheated on his wife, yes he treated some people like shit, and yes he had some very human problems. Curious about your opinion of him?
    It's a well known insider Vegas thing. He's made a billion dollars doing, while I might add, the most worthless thing ever to be done by a human, yet he can come here and treat people like his servants and not tip a frakking dollar. No, no and no. Just that simple. He treats people like shit and I don't cotton to that. Leave a tip, asshole. You have the money, just tip your waitress or bartender.

And he's a golfer. Ain't a sport and they ain't athletes.
    Carry On My Blood-Ejaculating Son - JKL2000

Quote Originally Posted by TheLoony View Post
    Patently false, I'm afraid. Regardless of what you think about Tiger Woods, this statement is just not true.

Take it from someone who has played golf and taken lessons in their youth. It is a sport, and it requires physical strength and work, whether you like to admit it or not.

Quote Originally Posted by TheLoony View Post
    It's a well known insider Vegas thing. He's made a billion dollars doing, while I might add, the most worthless thing ever to be done by a human, yet he can come here and treat people like his servants and not tip a frakking dollar. No, no and no. Just that simple. He treats people like shit and I don't cotton to that. Leave a tip, asshole. You have the money, just tip your waitress or bartender.

They go into his Vegas exploits in the documentary, and that he has been known to treat people badly. I don't love or hate the guy, but found the documentary to be very interesting. Maybe I am reading your quote wrong, but are you saying golf is "the most worthless thing ever done by a human being"?

Regarding golfers not being athletes, I have to disagree with you on that one. I have been golfing since I was around 13 and I still suck at it as much now as I did then. Golfing at the level guys like Tiger does is one of the most difficult sporting challenges there is. One thing that has changed a lot over the years is today's golfers are also in tip top physical shape. The days of the pro golfer with a beer gut and skinny arms are long gone. Today's pros work out all the time and most of them are cut with not an ounce of fat on them.

I think I can agree that Golf is a sport...barely. Golfers are athletes? Um, no.

Pro Wrestling is not a sport, but it's practitioners are athletes.

Golf may or may not be a sport but golfers are not athletes. Hmmmmm.

First of all, to say golf isn't is a sport is to define the word "sport" too narrowly, which is a shortened form of "disport", an archaic word meaning "diversion from serious duties; relaxation, recreation; entertainment, amusement." And from that comes the second definition, "anything which affords diversion and entertainment; a pastime, game, sport." (both Oxford)

So what is "sport"? Oxford defines it as "an activity involving physical exertion and skill, esp. (particularly in modern use) one regulated by set rules or customs in which an individual or team competes against another or others."

By definition, golf is a sport because (a) physical exertion and skill are both required, (b) it is governed by a set of rules, and (c) individuals or teams compete against others.

So the question becomes, "is sport an athletic?" Oxford doesn't distinguish between the nouns "athletic" and "athletics" the latter of which is defined as "the practice of an activity requiring physical skill, strength, endurance, etc., often as part of a sporting competition. Now chiefly North American: physical sports and games of any kind."

So, a sport is an athletic. And by definition, an athlete is one who participates in athletics.

Thus, since golf is a sport and a sport is an athletic, a golfer is an athlete, especially considering golf requires physical skill (much more than any other sport, I would argue), (some) strength, and endurance.

The reason I say golf requires more skill than any other sport is because swinging a golf club properly is not a natural motion and it involves more than just your arms and shoulders. It also involves the hips, legs, back, neck, and wrists, which are all just as important. And if you took a person who had never participated in either baseball nor golf, and had them try to play golf, they'd swing the club with a more natural swing, like in baseball, and fail miserably in the process. It takes a lot of instruction and practice to swing a golf club properly.

Golfing at the level guys like Tiger does is one of the most difficult sporting challenges there is.
    And I would go so far as to say playing at the level where your handicap is 12 or less is one of the most difficult sporting challenges there is, forget about being a scratch golfer. At my best, I was a bogey golfer. My best round was an 80 but I never shot under 90 before or since.

One thing that has changed a lot over the years is today's golfers are also in tip top physical shape. The days of the pro golfer with a beer gut and skinny arms are long gone. Today's pros work out all the time and most of them are cut with not an ounce of fat on them.
    I think you might be exaggerating here, a little. From what I recall, the only ranked golfer that had a beer gut was the Walrus, Craig Stadler. In their heydays, guys like Bobby Jones, Ben Hogan, Arnold Palmer, Jack, Tom Watson, etc were all trim and in shape. Even Jack or Lee Trevino, who were more box shaped, weren't fat. When you walk 14+ miles in four days every weekend for 12 months, you tend to stay in shape. Although, it's true most golfers don't enter every tournament. Still, they put in a lot of miles. And due to golfers having longer drives in the 21st century, courses have increased their lengths; the average, now, is 7200 yards. Comparatively, the course I used to play on all the time, that was built in 1967, was almost 6300 yards from the amateur tees. The course from the pro tees was just under 6800 yards. A modern PGA course is like adding another par 4 to an older course.

If a golfer entered every tournament on the PGA tour, it would be like walking from New York to Chicago... or from Kalamazoo to Pawtucket Brewery in Rhode Island, if you were a character in Family Guy.

Quote Originally Posted by Scott Bails View Post
    I already love this show. Alan Tudyk is perfect for it.
    Ditto on both counts.

Yesterday I burned through episodes 3-5 of WandaVision. This is turning out to be quite a trip and the acting/writing/attention to detail are top notch. If you like Marvel, this is more than worth your watch.

I also started going through Star Trek: Discovery. I have heard that season three is excellent, almost the level of the Picard series. So I figured I would endure the early seasons, which I had heard a lot of bitching about. But I'm five episodes in on season one and while I have issues (if this takes place before Star Trek: Original Series, why is the tech so much more advanced), it's downright good. The space battles are shit but then again, Star Trek's notion of what happens in space has always been fantasy. But the characters are good and the Klingon Big Bad is on an interesting journey. I'm enjoying it.

Quote Originally Posted by Hal... View Post

And I would go so far as to say playing at the level where your handicap is 12 or less is one of the most difficult sporting challenges there is, forget about being a scratch golfer. At my best, I was a bogey golfer. My best round was an 80 but I never shot under 90 before or since.

I think you might be exaggerating here, a little. From what I recall, the only ranked golfer that had a beer gut was the Walrus, Craig Stadler. In their heydays, guys like Bobby Jones, Ben Hogan, Arnold Palmer, Jack, Tom Watson, etc were all trim and in shape. Even Jack or Lee Trevino, who were more box shaped, weren't fat. When you walk 14+ miles in four days every weekend for 12 months, you tend to stay in shape. Although, it's true most golfers don't enter every tournament. Still, they put in a lot of miles. And due to golfers having longer drives in the 21st century, courses have increased their lengths; the average, now, is 7200 yards. Comparatively, the course I used to play on all the time, that was built in 1967, was almost 6300 yards from the amateur tees. The course from the pro tees was just under 6800 yards. A modern PGA course is like adding another par 4 to an older course.

If a golfer entered every tournament on the PGA tour, it would be like walking from New York to Chicago... or from Kalamazoo to Pawtucket Brewery in Rhode Island, if you were a character in Family Guy.
    Probably true about the “beer gut” comment. Those guys were in good physical shape from walking, but they did not typically follow a weight / cross training regimen like today’s top golfers do. The Tiger documentary goes into that as Tiger was a prime example of the modern, very physically fit golfer.

Regarding handicaps. I have had one time in my life when I hit a 79 and basically had the round of my life. Back when I was golfing in a league my handicap was usually around 17, so I considered a bogey golf round to be a success. I don’t play it to be good. I just play to have fun, but like musicians, since I have played the game I can appreciate the incredible skill level the pros have. On a side note, I have not tried golfing since my 2nd knee replacement. I hope I can still do it.

The same is true for today’s race car drivers. Are they athletes? A question that has been debated for years, but today’s top drivers are in great physical shape and typically follow strict workout regimens. I know there are some fans of the Netflix F-1 show “Drive To Survive” here. As demonstrated in the show, those guys are all in tip top physical shape.

Quote Originally Posted by Hal... View Post
    Golf may or may not be a sport but golfers are not athletes. Hmmmmm.

First of all, to say golf isn't is a sport is to define the word "sport" too narrowly, which is a shortened form of "disport", an archaic word meaning "diversion from serious duties; relaxation, recreation; entertainment, amusement." And from that comes the second definition, "anything which affords diversion and entertainment; a pastime, game, sport." (both Oxford)

So what is "sport"? Oxford defines it as "an activity involving physical exertion and skill, esp. (particularly in modern use) one regulated by set rules or customs in which an individual or team competes against another or others."

By definition, golf is a sport because (a) physical exertion and skill are both required, (b) it is governed by a set of rules, and (c) individuals or teams compete against others.

So the question becomes, "is sport an athletic?" Oxford doesn't distinguish between the nouns "athletic" and "athletics" the latter of which is defined as "the practice of an activity requiring physical skill, strength, endurance, etc., often as part of a sporting competition. Now chiefly North American: physical sports and games of any kind."

So, a sport is an athletic. And by definition, an athlete is one who participates in athletics.

Thus, since golf is a sport and a sport is an athletic, a golfer is an athlete, especially considering golf requires physical skill (much more than any other sport, I would argue), (some) strength, and endurance.

The reason I say golf requires more skill than any other sport is because swinging a golf club properly is not a natural motion and it involves more than just your arms and shoulders. It also involves the hips, legs, back, neck, and wrists, which are all just as important. And if you took a person who had never participated in either baseball nor golf, and had them try to play golf, they'd swing the club with a more natural swing, like in baseball, and fail miserably in the process. It takes a lot of instruction and practice to swing a golf club properly.

Don't get me started on "sports" which require judging, like figure skating and gymnastics.
    "Well my son, life is like a beanstalk, isn't it?"--Dalai Lama