Page 162 of 328 FirstFirst ... 62112152158159160161162163164165166172212262 ... LastLast
Results 4,026 to 4,050 of 8188

Thread: Current fav US TV series

I watched the first two seasons of Oz. My wife said it was a soap opera for men. I can kinda see that now.
    I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down.'- Bob Newhart

Quote Originally Posted by Plasmatopia View Post
    I've enjoyed all 4 seasons. The last one seems a bit weaker for some reason but it was still fine. I think partly I just found it hard to accept Chris Rock in that role although he wasn't terrible or anything.

Anyone happen to check out the first episode of All Creatures Great And Small on PBS? I'm going to give it a couple more episodes but so far I'm finding it rather weak. I felt the original series fit the books a bit better. Siegfried was meaner. But it's been 40 years since I read the books.

The one great thing in the new series is the amazing landscape. Apparently much of this was filmed not far from Andy Tillison's (The Tangent) place.
    I thought Chris Rock was good, and the acting always is in Fargo. I agree season 4 was weaker overall, but mostly as I said before because they didn't seem focused on what story they were telling. There wasn't much reason for those three main storylines to intersect IMO.

I am recording All Creatures... on the DVR, my wife and I always watch the PBS series. Looking forward to it, hoping I like it more than you do. There is another great series filmed near where Tillison lives called Last Tango In Halifax. It's more of a modern family drama but the acting is outstanding.

Quote Originally Posted by SteveSly View Post
    We went back and started watching "Oz" on HBO the other night. It was one of the first HBO original shows back in the 90's, but we never saw it. You can tell HBO has come a long way in their productions over the years, as it comes across a bit clunky, but so far 5 episodes in I am digging it. So much of the cast went on to other well known projects, so it is kind go cool to see them when they were younger. The guy who does the “Mayhem” insurance commercials is one of the main characters and it is hard not to see him as the mayhem guy.
    The show that opened so many doors for future series. It's fantastic - for a while. It runs on a season or two too long IMO. I had to look up Mayhem insurance, but Dean Winters has been in many things over the years. He was hilarious as Liz Lemon's boyfriend Dennis on 30 Rock. His brother on Oz is his brother in real life too.

Quote Originally Posted by Jerjo View Post
    I watched the first two seasons of Oz. My wife said it was a soap opera for men. I can kinda see that now.
    A soap opera with prison rapes, shower shankings, and vicious murders.
    Interviewer of reprobate ne'er-do-well musicians of the long-haired rock n' roll persuasion at: www.velvetthunder.co.uk and former scribe at Classic Rock Society. Only vaguely aware of anything other than music.

*** Join me in the Garden of Delights for 3 hours of tune-spinning... every Saturday at 5pm EST on Deep Nuggets radio! www.deepnuggets.com ***

Quote Originally Posted by Progatron View Post

I am recording All Creatures... on the DVR, my wife and I always watch the PBS series. Looking forward to it, hoping I like it more than you do. There is another great series filmed near where Tillison lives called Last Tango In Halifax. It's more of a modern family drama but the acting is outstanding.
    I'll look for LTIH...

I hope you like ACGAS too. Maybe I'll feel differently after a couple more episodes. I was inspired to see if I could find the original series on DVD or something though.
    <sig out of order>

Derry Girls on Netflix
    No takers on this one yet? We've watched the whole thing twice now, some episodes three times. It really is very, very funny IMO. BTW Game Of Thrones fans will recognize Sir Barristan Selmy in one of the main roles - of course, a very different role!

Interviewer of reprobate ne'er-do-well musicians of the long-haired rock n' roll persuasion at: www.velvetthunder.co.uk and former scribe at Classic Rock Society. Only vaguely aware of anything other than music.

*** Join me in the Garden of Delights for 3 hours of tune-spinning... every Saturday at 5pm EST on Deep Nuggets radio! www.deepnuggets.com ***

My wife started watching it with me, but it is not her thing. I am enjoying it so far, but I totally see what you mean.

I thought Chris Rock was good, and the acting always is in Fargo. I agree season 4 was weaker overall, but mostly as I said before because they didn't seem focused on what story they were telling. There wasn't much reason for those three main storylines to intersect IMO.

s.
    Exactly, some of the intersections between the different factions seemed forced. Again, the season was not bad, but I don't think it was at the level of the other 3.

The show that opened so many doors for future series. It's fantastic - for a while. It runs on a season or two too long IMO. I had to look up Mayhem insurance, but Dean Winters has been in many things over the years. He was hilarious as Liz Lemon's boyfriend Dennis on 30 Rock. His brother on Oz is his brother in real life too.

A soap opera with prison rapes, shower shankings, and vicious murders.
    Yup, the show was the first of it's kind. I remember hearing about it a lot back when it was on, but we did not have HBO then.

I didn't expect to ever see this. They're sinking a lot of money into this, so it may be very good.

https://www.thewrap.com/lord-of-the-...or-second-age/

A billion dollars for an eight episode series? That's like $125,000,000 per episode.

And I'm laying 7:2 odds that - at least for Tolkien's serious fans - it will be awful, completely travestying the history laid out in the Silmarilliion's "Akallabeth" and other sources.
    Cobra handling and cocaine use are a bad mix.

Quote Originally Posted by Sturgeon's Lawyer View Post
    A billion dollars for an eight episode series? That's like $125,000,000 per episode.

And I'm laying 7:2 odds that - at least for Tolkien's serious fans - it will be awful, completely travestying the history laid out in the Silmarilliion's "Akallabeth" and other sources.
    But I would still like to see a worthy implementation. Although, by and large, any film adaptation of a book is still a product passed through the director's attitude to the work.

Quote Originally Posted by KayBur View Post
    But I would still like to see a worthy implementation. Although, by and large, any film adaptation of a book is still a product passed through the director's attitude to the work.
    So would I! I'm just not getting my hopes up. I'd rather be pleasantly surpried.
    Cobra handling and cocaine use are a bad mix.

I, for one, am eager for elf nudity. But please, no swinging orc dicks.
    I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down.'- Bob Newhart

I'm here for the moosic NogbadTheBad's Avatar
    Starting watching The Watch last night, an 'adaptation' of Terry Pratchett's beloved books of which I'm a huge fan. It's a long long way from the books but reasonably entertaining so far. I'll probably stick with it.
    Ian

Host of the Post-Avant Jazzcore Happy Hour on progrock.com
    https://podcasts.progrock.com/post-a...re-happy-hour/

Gordon Haskell - "You've got to keep the groove in your head and play a load of bollocks instead"
    I blame Wynton, what was the question?
    There are only 10 types of people in the World, those who understand binary and those that don't.

I, for one, am eager for elf nudity. But please, no swinging orc dicks.
    I'm always up for elf pleasure.
    Music isn't about chops, or even about talent - it's about sound and the way that sound communicates to people. Mike Keneally

We finished "I Am Not Okay with This" last night.

Really enjoyed it. Sophia Lillis was fantastic, as always, and Wyatt Oleff was extremely charming, in an off-beat way. And it ended with a sweet cliffhanger.

So, it was very disheartening to hear that Netflix cancelled it. Those bastards!
    Music isn't about chops, or even about talent - it's about sound and the way that sound communicates to people. Mike Keneally

Quote Originally Posted by Scott Bails View Post
    We finished "I Am Not Okay with This" last night.

Really enjoyed it. Sophia Lillis was fantastic, as always, and Wyatt Oleff was extremely charming, in an off-beat way. And it ended with a sweet cliffhanger.

So, it was very disheartening to hear that Netflix cancelled it. Those bastards!
    Noooooooooooooooooo.

“From thirty feet away she looked like a lot of class. From ten feet away she looked like something made up to be seen from thirty feet away.” – Philip Marlowe

Just finished season 3 of “OZ”. The earlier comment about a “soap opera for men” is pretty accurate. I like it, but it gets rather repetitive after a while. I am not sure if I will watch all 6 seasons or not. One thing that I do find interesting is what a breeding ground for future tv / movie stars this show was. Just about every cast member, even the small parts are people who went on to be in cast of shows like “The Wire”, “The Sopranos”, “Walking Dead”, “Lost”, "Breaking Bad / Better Call Saul".and many other great TV shows. Every time they introduce a new character I recognize them from something else.
    Last edited by SteveSly; 01-19-2021 at 11:02 AM.

hiding out in treetops, shouting out rude names
    Quote Originally Posted by Klonk View Post
    Just finished season 3 of Cobra Kai. Man I love this show. For me it's a perfect blend of drama, comedy and 80's cheese. Some seriously funny shit in here especially with Johnny and Miguel
    I'm a couple of episodes into season two and agree with your assessment. I like how the writers have humanized the Johnny Lawrence character and made him into a sympathetic character, fleshed out the Danny Laruso character without getting overtly sentimental, all the while maintaining palpable tension between the two camps. The younger actors are ok, but at times border on douchery. I am a bit concerned that this might turn into Karate Kid 90120, so hopefully I'm wrong.

I'm here for the moosic NogbadTheBad's Avatar
    Found Maigret on BritBox with Michael Gambon. If you like slow paced period detective shows its outstanding
    Ian

Host of the Post-Avant Jazzcore Happy Hour on progrock.com
    https://podcasts.progrock.com/post-a...re-happy-hour/

Gordon Haskell - "You've got to keep the groove in your head and play a load of bollocks instead"
    I blame Wynton, what was the question?
    There are only 10 types of people in the World, those who understand binary and those that don't.

Quote Originally Posted by NogbadTheBad View Post
    Found Maigret on BritBox with Michael Gambon. If you like slow paced period detective shows its outstanding
    One of my favourite actors, he doesn't get mentioned enough IMO. We watched the more recent Maigret with Rowan Atkinson in the role and it was quite good too.

Why did I not know about Upstart Crow before? It's hilarious! Midway through season 2 now and loving it. No surprise though, I love everything Ben Elton writes.

Watching "Shooter" on Netflix. Yeah, it's been done before, mostly in movies, but it's still fun to watch.
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    A gentleman is defined as someone who knows how to play the accordion, and doesn't.

Why does my tv turn itself on? It does this at random, I turn it off and a minute or two later, it's turned itself on.
    Carry On My Blood-Ejaculating Son - JKL2000

“From thirty feet away she looked like a lot of class. From ten feet away she looked like something made up to be seen from thirty feet away.” – Philip Marlowe

Member since March 2004 mozo-pg's Avatar
    I really enjoyed the four seasons of Fargo. I rate them in the following order - First, Third, Second, Fourth.

Just started watching the new series, Your Honor, with Bryan Cranston. Wow! Instant classic, draws you right in.
    What can this strange device be? When I touch it, it brings forth a sound (2112)

^^ I find Your Honor to be another iteration of the Breaking Bad/Better Call Saul ethos: the Law of Unintended Consequences. It's what drives each show's storyline. Bryan Cranston, just like in Breaking Bad, has to navigate his web of deceit with catastrophic consequences.
    Last edited by Guitarplyrjvb; 01-24-2021 at 01:51 PM.