Page 161 of 329 FirstFirst ... 61111151157158159160161162163164165171211261 ... LastLast
Results 4,001 to 4,025 of 8225

Thread: Current fav US TV series

Just finished season #2 of "Dark" on Netflix tonight. I am loving this twisted mindfuck of a show. We are going to start the final season tomorrow night.

Trafficked w/ Mariana Van Zeller on NatGeo. I'm only into ep2 so far but this is good stuff. She's an actual investigative journalist, it seems. First episode on scamming, which was pretty scary and then fentanyl, counterfeiting, steroids, pimps and cocaine.

It's just a crazy world out there.
    Carry On My Blood-Ejaculating Son - JKL2000

Just started on Netflix: "Pretend It's a City" a "docuseries" produced by Martin Scorsese featuring NYC writer Fran Lebowitz. If you're a New Yorker, or have been a New Yorker, or just love New York, you'd like this. Lebowitz brings to mind a combination of Woody Allen and Lewis Black and has no patience for virtually anyone. She loves the city but has no trouble bitching in the most witty and amusing fashion about every aspect of it. I have only seen the first episode, but I'm down for the series. I love stuff like this.

Member since March 2004 mozo-pg's Avatar
    I just discovered 3 seasons of Fargo on Netflix. Had no idea they were there. The first episode of season one is killer!
    What can this strange device be? When I touch it, it brings forth a sound (2112)

Quote Originally Posted by mozo-pg View Post
    I just discovered 3 seasons of Fargo on Netflix. Had no idea they were there. The first episode of season one is killer!
    I kind of thought the most recent season was slightly weaker than the first 3, but they are all great.

Quote Originally Posted by SteveSly View Post
    I kind of thought the most recent season was slightly weaker than the first 3, but they are all great.
    I agree. I liked it, but it was more disjointed. The acting and the tone of the show was as good as always, but they didn't seem to know what story they wanted to tell in season 4.
    Interviewer of reprobate ne'er-do-well musicians of the long-haired rock n' roll persuasion at: www.velvetthunder.co.uk and former scribe at Classic Rock Society. Only vaguely aware of anything other than music.

*** Join me in the Garden of Delights for 3 hours of tune-spinning... every Saturday at 5pm EST on Deep Nuggets radio! www.deepnuggets.com ***

Quote Originally Posted by Progatron View Post
    I agree. I liked it, but it was more disjointed. The acting and the tone of the show was as good as always, but they didn't seem to know what story they wanted to tell in season 4.
    That is a very good summation, and I agree.

All I know is I have a supremely high quality Series to watch over the upcoming weeks. Episode 2 of Fargo, season one, was equally satisfying. Paulie, I concur with your assessment of the show. I'm pumped to watch three full seasons baby!
    What can this strange device be? When I touch it, it brings forth a sound (2112)

All I know is I have a supremely high quality Series to watch over the upcoming weeks. Episode 2 of Fargo, season one, was equally satisfying. Paulie, I concur with your assessment of the show. I'm pumped to watch three full seasons baby!
    One of the cool things you will find is that although each season is it's own separate entity, they find ways to tie them into each other for all 4 seasons, which I think is cool.

Don't let your meatloaf! Paulie's Avatar
    Yes! Enjoy them Greg!
    "That gum you like is going to come back in style."

Just watched the relatively new Bee Gees documentary on HBO. I thought it was good, although they completely skip over some stuff (the Sgt. Pepper movie for example). I was never a fan of the band, although they did do a lot more than just disco. Anyway, it was fairly good.

Just watched the relatively new Bee Gees documentary on HBO. I thought it was good, although they completely skip over some stuff (the Sgt. Pepper movie for example). I was never a fan of the band, although they did do a lot more than just disco. Anyway, it was fairly good.
    We've been hosting my girlfriend's mother, who is suffering from a pretty severe case of dementia/Alzheimer's - it's a long story.

She has terrible anxiety, constantly asking questions about things she should know, and repeating the same questions roughly every 15 minutes. It's heartbreaking, but also tough to deal with, at times. She can't settle, can't seem to get comfortable.

I had been trying to find light-hearted Christmas stuff for her to watch, but her attention span isn't very strong, so it's hit or miss.

On a lark, I put this Bee Gees documentary on, and it was like magic. She was riveted. "Oh, this is MY music!" "Who is that? He's so handsome!" "Oh, I remember I loved this song." It was really interesting, watching her watching this.

So, I've seen it three times now. I liked it. I really like a lot of their music before Barry Gibb discovered his falsetto (which seemed to coincide with their move towards disco), and they really were excellent songwriters. But it's very sad that he's the only one left, and that he and Robin seemed to fall out (again) after Maurice died.
    Music isn't about chops, or even about talent - it's about sound and the way that sound communicates to people. Mike Keneally

Quote Originally Posted by Paulie View Post
    Yes! Enjoy them Greg!
    We just finished season one. What a cliffhanger in the final shows. Billy Bob Thorton was a convincing psychopath. All the characters were three dimensional and totally engaging. I would say the series approaches the excellent of Breaking Bad, Six Feet Under, and the Sopranos. It's THAT good. I'm really looking forward to seasons two and three.

We just finished season one. What a cliffhanger in the final shows. Billy Bob Thorton was a convincing psychopath. All the characters were three dimensional and totally engaging. I would say the series approaches the excellent of Breaking Bad, Six Feet Under, and the Sopranos. It's THAT good. I'm really looking forward to seasons two and three.
    Definitely. You'll love seasons two and three.
    Interviewer of reprobate ne'er-do-well musicians of the long-haired rock n' roll persuasion at: www.velvetthunder.co.uk and former scribe at Classic Rock Society. Only vaguely aware of anything other than music.

*** Join me in the Garden of Delights for 3 hours of tune-spinning... every Saturday at 5pm EST on Deep Nuggets radio! www.deepnuggets.com ***

Don't let your meatloaf! Paulie's Avatar
    I think what I like about Fargo is that it places everyday average Joes, honest & good people, in the path of extreme evil (mostly without having a clue), so there is a constant level of angst and dread knowing that these two forces will eventually cross paths.
    "That gum you like is going to come back in style."

Their pre-disco material is quite proggy, and quite good. I heard Robin was working on a symphony just before he died.
    "Well my son, life is like a beanstalk, isn't it?"--Dalai Lama

Quote Originally Posted by Scott Bails View Post
    We've been hosting my girlfriend's mother, who is suffering from a pretty severe case of dementia/Alzheimer's - it's a long story.

I had been trying to find light-hearted Christmas stuff for her to watch, but her attention span isn't very strong, so it's hit or miss.

On a lark, I put this Bee Gees documentary on, and it was like magic. She was riveted. "Oh, this is MY music!" "Who is that? He's so handsome!" "Oh, I remember I loved this song." It was really interesting, watching her watching this.
    When my mom was in an assisted living facility with dementia, she wouldn't pay much attention to the TV unless you'd put the right channel or show on. She loved Animal Planet.

One time I was visiting her and discovered Laugh-In on Decades TV, on one of the sub-channels (it's also on Amazon Prime, btw). She laughed during most of the show. Many of the jokes she didn't understand but she loved the slapstick and how wacky it was. I was a kid when it was first on so a lot of it went over my head. But watching it with her made me realize what it must have been like for a lot of young people in the late '60s/early '70s to watch the show high or tripping. lol
    “From thirty feet away she looked like a lot of class. From ten feet away she looked like something made up to be seen from thirty feet away.” – Philip Marlowe

Quote Originally Posted by progmatist View Post
    Their pre-disco material is quite proggy, and quite good. I heard Robin was working on a symphony just before he died.
    Odessa is a fine album. They were always talented guys, I liked them off and on well into the 90s when they did 'This Is Just Where I Came In'.

I should mention Bee Gees pre-disco music is proggy in exactly the same way Michael Dunford era Renaissance is proggy.
    "Well my son, life is like a beanstalk, isn't it?"--Dalai Lama

The French crime/adventure series "Lupin" is pretty entertaining.

Too bad Netflix only put the first 5 episodes online. I want to know how it ends.

She has terrible anxiety, constantly asking questions about things she should know, and repeating the same questions roughly every 15 minutes. It's heartbreaking, but also tough to deal with, at times. She can't settle, can't seem to get comfortable.

So, I've seen it three times now. I liked it. I really like a lot of their music before Barry Gibb discovered his falsetto (which seemed to coincide with their move towards disco), and they really were excellent songwriters. But it's very sad that he's the only one left, and that he and Robin seemed to fall out (again) after Maurice died.
    I think this is so fuckin' awesome

I'm not a Bee Gees fan, but thought this doc was cool too.
    "Who would have thought a whale would be so heavy?" - Moe Sizlak

I've enjoyed all 4 seasons. The last one seems a bit weaker for some reason but it was still fine. I think partly I just found it hard to accept Chris Rock in that role although he wasn't terrible or anything.

Anyone happen to check out the first episode of All Creatures Great And Small on PBS? I'm going to give it a couple more episodes but so far I'm finding it rather weak. I felt the original series fit the books a bit better. Siegfried was meaner. But it's been 40 years since I read the books.

The one great thing in the new series is the amazing landscape. Apparently much of this was filmed not far from Andy Tillison's (The Tangent) place.
    <sig out of order>

That is a great story. I would agree that their music moved away from what I liked after Barry started using the falsetto. Some of their early stuff is quite good.

Quote Originally Posted by progmatist View Post
    Prior to Saturday Night Fever I had heard very few Bee Gee songs, but over the years I have heard more and it is not bad at all.

We went back and started watching "Oz" on HBO the other night. It was one of the first HBO original shows back in the 90's, but we never saw it. You can tell HBO has come a long way in their productions over the years, as it comes across a bit clunky, but so far 5 episodes in I am digging it. So much of the cast went on to other well known projects, so it is kind go cool to see them when they were younger. The guy who does the “Mayhem” insurance commercials is one of the main characters and it is hard not to see him as the mayhem guy.