Page 155 of 329 FirstFirst ... 55105145151152153154155156157158159165205255 ... LastLast
Results 3,851 to 3,875 of 8225

Thread: Current fav US TV series

Superstore gets cancelled (Season 6 will be its last). Sucks, even with America Ferrara leaving, it was a show my wife and I looked forward to every Thursday. Although when Young Sheldon got moved to 7PM, it created a conflict.

Zoey's Extraordinary Playlist returns on Tuesday January 5th

the new Mayim Bialik show Call Me Kat might be good, which premieres on January 3rd on FOX

and bummed to learn High Fidelity is not renewed for a 2nd season by HULU. My wife and I really enjoyed that reboot/reimagining which I think they had a lot more they could have done with.

^ Have you checked out B Positive, yet? I watch it mostly for the lead character Gina, who's pretty funny.

Aside from a few sitcoms, there is hardly anything I record off broadcast TV anymore. It's almost all reality shows, sports, one hour dramas, or game shows (what?) none of which interest me.
    “From thirty feet away she looked like a lot of class. From ten feet away she looked like something made up to be seen from thirty feet away.” – Philip Marlowe

Quote Originally Posted by Dave (in MA) View Post
    I thought Holy Grail was funnier, but Life of Brian was a better movie overall, and Meaning of Life was their most ambitious attempt at a making a movie, but I didn't enjoy it as much as the other two.
    My opinion as well.

Watched "The Haunting At Blye House" on Netflix the last few days. It kind of drags in parts, but I thought it was pretty good. Not as good as "Haunting At Hill House", but a decent effort overall.

Quote Originally Posted by NogbadTheBad View Post
    I thought Holy Grail was funnier, but Life of Brian was a better movie overall, and Meaning of Life was their most ambitious attempt at a making a movie, but I didn't enjoy it as much as the other two.
    I'm of the same opinion
    Quote Originally Posted by SteveSly View Post
    My opinion as well.
    Life of Brian used more subtle humor. Like when a legion of Roman centurions marched into the PFoJ headquarters, with all of them hiding in the most obvious way, and the soldiers find nothing. The centurions return, The battalion chief says there's one place they forgot to look. The centurions repeat the procedure, the lead says "we found this spoon sir!" The wooden spoon Reg used to point to all of his charts.

In a later interview, John said the entire budget of the Meaning of Life was blown on the Every Sperm is Sacred musical scene. The rest had to be pieced together slipshod.
    Last edited by progmatist; 12-04-2020 at 02:28 PM.
    "Well my son, life is like a beanstalk, isn't it?"--Dalai Lama

Quote Originally Posted by progmatist View Post

In a later interview, John said the entire budget of the Meaning of Life was blown on the Every Sperm is Sacred musical scene. The rest had to be pieced together slipshod.
    Not to mention Gilliam going way overboard on The Crimson Permanent Assurance budget. You can see the drastic transition between his and Jones' style/budget when that intro is over and the 'Birth' segment begins.

I do think Every Sperm Is Sacred was brilliantly done, that's Oscar-worthy stuff right out of Oliver or something.

I agree that Life Of Brian was the best film they made, and the most solid beginning-to-end story. Meaning Of Life was really just sketches again, tied together to fit a broad concept, and Holy Grail had been something of a mix of the two.
    Interviewer of reprobate ne'er-do-well musicians of the long-haired rock n' roll persuasion at: www.velvetthunder.co.uk and former scribe at Classic Rock Society. Only vaguely aware of anything other than music.

*** Join me in the Garden of Delights for 3 hours of tune-spinning... every Saturday at 5pm EST on Deep Nuggets radio! www.deepnuggets.com ***

I agree that Life Of Brian was the best film they made, and the most solid beginning-to-end story. Meaning Of Life was really just sketches again, tied together to fit a broad concept, and Holy Grail had been something of a mix of the two.
    That's my take as well. Every Sperm is Sacred is one of the best musical production numbers of that decade.
    I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down.'- Bob Newhart

Quote Originally Posted by Progatron View Post
    Interesting, since so much of the writing that went into Seinfeld came directly from Larry David, who is now simply playing himself, rather than the only slightly more fictionalized version that Jason Alexander played.
    I know. I think the difference is that CYE doesn't have Jerry's humor in it. Also, the last two years, after Larry left, Seinfeld wasn't quite as good.

My favorite line from Seinfeld is at the very end of this clip:

I love both series, although I'd probably give the nod to Seinfeld for being slightly better overall for my tastes (apart from that horrific in-your-face slap bass in between every scene).
    That was actually a keyboard, not a bass.

--------------------

Re: Holy Grail and Life of Brian.

On first viewing, I do think Grail was funnier overall. But Brian has held up much better after repeated viewings, imo. Altho, I had forgotten the scenes with Pilate until just now. OMG those were so funny, especially the first one when the guards are not trying to laugh at the name "Biggus Dickus". What a hilarious scene.
    “From thirty feet away she looked like a lot of class. From ten feet away she looked like something made up to be seen from thirty feet away.” – Philip Marlowe

Quote Originally Posted by Hal... View Post
    That was actually a keyboard, not a bass.
    Really? I'm surprised... is it meant to sound like a bass then? Or am I crazy?

Quote Originally Posted by Hal... View Post
    I had forgotten the scenes with Pilate until just now. OMG those were so funny, especially the first one when the guards are not trying to laugh at the name "Biggus Dickus". What a hilarious scene.
    Absolutely classic.

"And, uh, throw him to the floor, sir?"

"What?"

"Throw him to the floor?"

"Oh yes, thwough him to the fwough please."
    Interviewer of reprobate ne'er-do-well musicians of the long-haired rock n' roll persuasion at: www.velvetthunder.co.uk and former scribe at Classic Rock Society. Only vaguely aware of anything other than music.

*** Join me in the Garden of Delights for 3 hours of tune-spinning... every Saturday at 5pm EST on Deep Nuggets radio! www.deepnuggets.com ***

Quote Originally Posted by Progatron View Post
    Really? I'm surprised... is it meant to sound like a bass then? Or am I crazy?

"Oh yes, thwough him to the fwough please."
    Michael Palin plays that role so perfectly.

My jaw hurt from laughing the first time I saw Life of Brian. The scene where Pilot is looking for prisoners to release and the Jews are suggesting names with the letter "R" in them just to hear him mangle them practically put my on the floor of the theater. "Welease Wodney!"
    I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down.'- Bob Newhart

Parrots Ripped My Flesh Dave (in MA)'s Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Jerjo View Post
    My jaw hurt from laughing the first time I saw Life of Brian. The scene where Pilot is looking for prisoners to release and the Jews are suggesting names with the letter "R" in them just to hear him mangle them practically put my on the floor of the theater. "Welease Wodney!"
    How could you forget that was Biggus Dickus? Something completely different.

How could you forget that was Biggus Dickus? Something completely different.
    No, it was Pilate (played by Michael Palin). Biggus Dickus (Graham Chapman) was his "vewy gweat fwiend in Wome".

Biggus Dickus appeared alongside Pilot in the "R" scene. He had a lisp on the letter "S", so of course he was given a list of prisoners to read the all had "s" in their name. That was the punch.

A friend and I must have seen Life of Brian in the theater at least a half dozen times when it was released. VERY stoned each time. The best times I ever had at the movies.
    A Comfort Zone is not a Life Sentence

Member since March 2004 mozo-pg's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Lou View Post
    A friend and I must have seen Life of Brian in the theater at least a half dozen times when it was released. VERY stoned each time. The best times I ever had at the movies.
    Party on Wayne!!
    What can this strange device be? When I touch it, it brings forth a sound (2112)

"You'we a Woman?"
    "No, no. A 'Roman'"
    "Stwike him Centuwion"
    "And throw him to floor sir?"

Biggus Dickus appeared alongside Pilot in the "R" scene. He had a lisp on the letter "S", so of course he was given a list of prisoners to read the all had "s" in their name. That was the punch.
    Right, like Thamthon the Thaduthee Thrangler.
    Cobra handling and cocaine use are a bad mix.

Let's not forget Stan deciding he wanted to be have a baby. Reg: Where's the fetus going to gestate? You going to keep it in a box?

If you've ever come into contact or been involved with political idealists on either the left or right, there were moments were it would hurt if it wasn't so damn funny, what with the People's Front of Judea and Judean People's Front.

Quote Originally Posted by mozo-pg View Post
    Party on Wayne!!
    A Comfort Zone is not a Life Sentence

Let's not forget Stan deciding he wanted to be have a baby. Reg: Where's the fetus going to gestate? You going to keep it in a box?

If you've ever come into contact or been involved with political idealists on either the left or right, there were moments were it would hurt if it wasn't so damn funny, what with the People's Front of Judea and Judean People's Front.
    And don't forget the Judean People's Front Crack Suicide Squad. That'll show 'em.

Quote Originally Posted by Lou View Post
    I saw it in the theater with a friend when it came out too. Definitely stoned. Laughed my ass off, still didn't and don't think it was as good/funny as Holy Grail.

Quote Originally Posted by moecurlythanu View Post
    I saw it in the theater with a friend when it came out too. Definitely stoned. Laughed my ass off, still didn't and don't think it was as good/funny as Holy Grail.
    The charm of Holy Grail is it's a parody of movie making in general, not just the legend of King Arthur. The way they broke the 4th wall. The way it takes place in medieval times, but with numerous references to modern times. References which in any other movie would be considered a mistake, like a movie with a medieval knight wearing a wrist watch.

"Listen... strange women lying in ponds distributing swords is no basis for a system of government"
    "Who would have thought a whale would be so heavy?" - Moe Sizlak

Member since March 2004 mozo-pg's Avatar
    In recent months, I worked my way back through Six Feet Under, Breaking Bad, and the Sopranos (still on seasion 4).
    Here's how I personally rank then in order of preference:
    1) Six Feet Under
    2) Breaking Bad
    3) Sopranos

They are all the best out there but that's my ranking. I have reasons why.
    What can this strange device be? When I touch it, it brings forth a sound (2112)