Page 154 of 329 FirstFirst ... 54104144150151152153154155156157158164204254 ... LastLast
Results 3,826 to 3,850 of 8225

Thread: Current fav US TV series

Quote Originally Posted by Progatron View Post
    Charles Edwards, who plays the queen's courtier, was the guy who played Michael Palin in that Python movie I mentioned a while back, and now I can't see him as anyone but Michael Palin! (I know he was in Downton Abbey too, among other things...)
    I just noticed that in last night's episode (#3 I think). Good god - the guy's a dead ringer for Palin. I need to check out that Python doc.
    David
    Happy with what I have to be happy with.

the guy who played Michael Palin in that Python movie
    Missed this, I guess. What Python movie are you talking about?
    Carry On My Blood-Ejaculating Son - JKL2000

Quote Originally Posted by TheLoony View Post
    Missed this, I guess. What Python movie are you talking about?
    Interviewer of reprobate ne'er-do-well musicians of the long-haired rock n' roll persuasion at: www.velvetthunder.co.uk and former scribe at Classic Rock Society. Only vaguely aware of anything other than music.

*** Join me in the Garden of Delights for 3 hours of tune-spinning... every Saturday at 5pm EST on Deep Nuggets radio! www.deepnuggets.com ***

Parrots Ripped My Flesh Dave (in MA)'s Avatar
    Never heard of it before, but now I want to see it.

Quote Originally Posted by Dave (in MA) View Post
    Never heard of it before, but now I want to see it.
    A few of them are startling in how accurate the impersonations are. You'll note, however, that the Cleese role, as impressive a job as that guy does, is really more of a Basil Fawlty impression.
    Interviewer of reprobate ne'er-do-well musicians of the long-haired rock n' roll persuasion at: www.velvetthunder.co.uk and former scribe at Classic Rock Society. Only vaguely aware of anything other than music.

*** Join me in the Garden of Delights for 3 hours of tune-spinning... every Saturday at 5pm EST on Deep Nuggets radio! www.deepnuggets.com ***

It seems to be unavailable on any streaming services.

Oh Gods, I gotta see this Python flick. Watched a couple scenes and it looks like so much fun. The guys portraying them are really good.

We watched the finale of the mini series The Undoing tonight. Anyone else watching this? Very over-the-top but damn, it was entertaining. The missus is a huge Nicole Kidman fan and she loved the hell out of it.
    I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down.'- Bob Newhart

Quote Originally Posted by Jerjo View Post
    We watched the finale of the mini series The Undoing tonight. Anyone else watching this? Very over-the-top but damn, it was entertaining. The missus is a huge Nicole Kidman fan and she loved the hell out of it.
    About to start it, now that we let it all build up on the DVR, and now that Fargo and a few other shows are finished. One of which was Black Narcissus, just a 3-episode mini-series but it was quite good.

I'm here for the moosic NogbadTheBad's Avatar
    Three episodes in so far. Enjoying it.
    Ian

Host of the Post-Avant Jazzcore Happy Hour on progrock.com
    https://podcasts.progrock.com/post-a...re-happy-hour/

Gordon Haskell - "You've got to keep the groove in your head and play a load of bollocks instead"
    I blame Wynton, what was the question?
    There are only 10 types of people in the World, those who understand binary and those that don't.

I have heard good things. What network / service is it on?

We have been binge watching "The Queens Gambit" over the weekend. We have one episode to go, and I think it is outstanding. One of the best things I have watched in a long time. I remember back when I saw Ana Taylor Joy in "The Witch" that I thought she was going to be a huge star, and she is amazing in this role. Anyway, highly recommended!

I just finished the season of Truth Seekers over on Prime. I thought it was good, silly fun, with some creepiness sprinkled throughout. I'll enjoy pretty much anything that Simon Pegg and Nick Frost are involved with though. Malcom McDowell is great. Perfect late night entertainment for me.
    "Who would have thought a whale would be so heavy?" - Moe Sizlak

Quote Originally Posted by SteveSly View Post
    I have heard good things. What network / service is it on?
    HBO.

We have been binge watching "The Queens Gambit" over the weekend. We have one episode to go, and I think it is outstanding. One of the best things I have watched in a long time. I remember back when I saw Ana Taylor Joy in "The Witch" that I thought she was going to be a huge star, and she is amazing in this role. Anyway, highly recommended!
    I really enjoyed it, too.

Funny thing: I thought I recognized the woman in The Queen's Gambit but couldn't place her. When I looked her up, I was shocked since I loved The Witch.

“From thirty feet away she looked like a lot of class. From ten feet away she looked like something made up to be seen from thirty feet away.” – Philip Marlowe

Quote Originally Posted by Klonk View Post
    I just finished the season of Truth Seekers over on Prime. I thought it was good, silly fun, with some creepiness sprinkled throughout. I'll enjoy pretty much anything that Simon Pegg and Nick Frost are involved with though. Malcom McDowell is great. Perfect late night entertainment for me.
    The missus and I are over-the-top in love with Truth Seekers. The plot worked really well and damn, there were at least two or three big belly laughs per episode.

Speaking of Anya Taylor Joy. She's back working with writer/director Robert Eggers on his new project - The Northman, a Viking revenge saga set in 10th century Iceland. Bill and Alexander Skarsgard, Willem Dafoe, and Nicole Kidman are also in the cast. I can't freaking wait!
    I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down.'- Bob Newhart

Quote Originally Posted by Hal... View Post
    HBO.

I really enjoyed it, too.

Funny thing: I thought I recognized the woman in The Queen's Gambit but couldn't place her. When I looked her up, I was shocked since I loved The Witch.

She also had a main roles in M. Night Shamalyan's "Split" and "Glass" if you saw those films.

The missus and I are over-the-top in love with Truth Seekers. The plot worked really well and damn, there were at least two or three big belly laughs per episode.

Speaking of Anya Taylor Joy. She's back working with writer/director Robert Eggers on his new project - The Northman, a Viking revenge saga set in 10th century Iceland. Bill and Alexander Skarsgard, Willem Dafoe, and Nicole Kidman are also in the cast. I can't freaking wait!
    Wow, that should be great!

The Flight Attendant, Thursdays on HBO. A hard partying flight attendant wakes up in Bangkok next to a passenger she flirted and slept with. Except now he's dead.

Stars Kaley Cuoco, who is fantastic in it. Three episodes in and this is turning out to be a really good show.
    “From thirty feet away she looked like a lot of class. From ten feet away she looked like something made up to be seen from thirty feet away.” – Philip Marlowe

The Flight Attendant, Thursdays on HBO. A hard partying flight attendant wakes up in Bangkok next to a passenger she flirted and slept with. Except now he's dead.

Stars Kaley Cuoco, who is fantastic in it. Three episodes in and this is turning out to be a really good show.
    They tell me I can get HBOMax for free, yet that is a lie. I can get a week for free, then pay for anything other than that. So the bastards let me watch the first episode and no mas after that.

Also, it's not a comedy, as they say it is. Rosie Perez (Interview on Dan Lebatard show as she's a big boxing fan) said it was a dark comedy yet I see nothing funny about it after only one episode. I can only base this upon one episode but from the previews it's not funny at all.

The wife and I enjoyed it too. This series is very popular in these parts (the Netherlands). It lead to a great run on the sale of chess boards and other chess items as a Sinterklaas or Christmass presents. Very positive side effect I'd say.

Quote Originally Posted by TheLoony View Post
    Also, it's not a comedy, as they say it is. Rosie Perez (Interview on Dan Lebatard show as she's a big boxing fan) said it was a dark comedy yet I see nothing funny about it after only one episode. I can only base this upon one episode but from the previews it's not funny at all.
    Humor is very subjective, yes?

But this brings up a really interesting topic, at least to me. What makes a person laugh? That seems like a simple question but the answer is considerably more complicated than that and I've been pondering it for quite some time because so much of what makes me laugh or doesn't seems contradictory.

For instance, irony makes me laugh, specifically with regard to the classic definition - if done just right. It's why I find the Coen Bros movie Blood Simple so funny. And, yet, most people will say Raising Arizona is a much funnier movie, which I find only amusing. Intolerable Cruelty and O Brother, Where Art Thou? are funny to me but not The Big Lebowski, Burn After Reading, or Hail, Caesar!

Or take Bob's Burgers. I might laugh once every other episode but I love the show and its off-beat sense of humor. Family Guy, otoh, I'm almost tired of and yet it will almost never fail to make me laugh at least twice an episode.

I think Seinfeld is the funniest sitcom ever but I don't care for Curb Your Enthusiasm.

The new Amazon Prime show, Truth Seekers, has gotten kudos for being a funny show but I laughed maybe once or twice the whole season (I still liked it, tho). But I've found that's the case with a lot of Simon Pegg/Nick Frost collaborations: I'm not sure Shaun of the Dead made me laugh even once, nor did Paul or The World's End, but I thought Hot Fuzz was funny as hell.

There's one scene (and only one) in Monty Python's Holy Grail that never fails to make me laugh: when Dennis the peasant argues to King Arthur the merits of an anarcho-syndicalist commune vs a monarchy. I find Life of Brian a much funnier movie. But the Mr Creosote sketch in The Meaning of Life is the funniest thing MP ever wrote, I think, and had me crying I was laughing so hard. I think the funniest sketches in their show are "The Lifeboat Sketch" and "The Undertaker Sketch", both of which involve cannibalism (no, I'm not a cannibal).

I think one of the funniest movies I've seen in the last 30 or so years is The Waterboy and I can't stand Adam Sandler. And I usually can't stand movies starring SNL alumni. In fact, of all the movies that stars an SNL alumnus, I can almost count on one hand the ones that I think are funny: Animal House, The Blues Brothers, Caddyshack, Ghostbusters, The Nutty Professor, and The Waterboy.

Laurel & Hardy still make me laugh, as do the Three Stooges. The Marx brothers and Charlie Chaplin do not.

Overall, I think the two funniest movies ever made are Dr Strangelove and A Clockwork Orange. Which reminds me: I once watched Lolita with my girlfriend of the time. At the end, when James Mason drops to his knees crying and begs Lolita to take him back, I busted out laughing. I looked over at my gf to see what her reaction was and she had tears streaming down her face. I thought it was hilarious because of how pathetic Humbert was but it made her sad.

I don't know. I don't really understand it all.

Anyway, I guess this is a long way of getting around to saying I don't think The Flight Attendant has made me laugh, yet, but I do think it's a dark comedy - in tone.

I think Seinfeld is the funniest sitcom ever but I don't care for Curb Your Enthusiasm.
    Interesting, since so much of the writing that went into Seinfeld came directly from Larry David, who is now simply playing himself, rather than the only slightly more fictionalized version that Jason Alexander played. I love both series, although I'd probably give the nod to Seinfeld for being slightly better overall for my tastes (apart from that horrific in-your-face slap bass in between every scene).

There's one scene (and only one) in Monty Python's Holy Grail that never fails to make me laugh: when Dennis the peasant argues to King Arthur the merits of an anarcho-syndicalist commune vs a monarchy. I find Life of Brian a much funnier movie. But the Mr Creosote sketch in The Meaning of Life is the funniest thing MP ever wrote, I think, and had me crying I was laughing so hard. I think the funniest sketches in their show are "The Lifeboat Sketch" and "The Undertaker Sketch", both of which involve cannibalism (no, I'm not a cannibal).
    I thought Holy Grail was funnier, but Life of Brian was a better movie overall, and Meaning of Life was their most ambitious attempt at a making a movie, but I didn't enjoy it as much as the other two.

I'm here for the moosic NogbadTheBad's Avatar
    I thought Holy Grail was funnier, but Life of Brian was a better movie overall, and Meaning of Life was their most ambitious attempt at a making a movie, but I didn't enjoy it as much as the other two.
    I'm of the same opinion
    Ian

Host of the Post-Avant Jazzcore Happy Hour on progrock.com
    https://podcasts.progrock.com/post-a...re-happy-hour/

Gordon Haskell - "You've got to keep the groove in your head and play a load of bollocks instead"
    I blame Wynton, what was the question?
    There are only 10 types of people in the World, those who understand binary and those that don't.

There's a scene in Life of Brian in which George Harrison makes a cameo appearance...without dialogue of course. His company, Hand Made Films produced the film.

Just a couple of days ago, the Final Jeopardy! question was the original script called for the Holy Grail being found in Herod's Department Store.
    "Well my son, life is like a beanstalk, isn't it?"--Dalai Lama