Page 153 of 330 FirstFirst ... 53103143149150151152153154155156157163203253 ... LastLast
Results 3,801 to 3,825 of 8227

Thread: Current fav US TV series

Don't let your meatloaf! Paulie's Avatar
    Fargo's take on the Wizard of OZ last Sunday was a fun ride!
    "That gum you like is going to come back in style."

Quote Originally Posted by Paulie View Post
    Agree, amazing stuff!

Quote Originally Posted by SteveSly View Post
    Agree, amazing stuff!
    It blew me away.
    "Well my son, life is like a beanstalk, isn't it?"--Dalai Lama

Quote Originally Posted by progmatist View Post
    It blew me away.
    I see what you did there!

Member since March 2004 mozo-pg's Avatar
    How long has Fargo been on the air (which seasons)? I have 8 episodes of the current season recorded on my PVR. Where could I find previous seasons?
    What can this strange device be? When I touch it, it brings forth a sound (2112)

Quote Originally Posted by mozo-pg View Post
    How long has Fargo been on the air (which seasons)? I have 8 episodes of the current season recorded on my PVR. Where could I find previous seasons?
    Fargo is in its 4th season. Past episodes from previous seasons can be streamed thru Hulu only. Current seasons of shows on Fox and FX are on their websites but you have to sign in with your cable subscriber login first:
    Fox: https://www.fox.com/
    FX: https://fxnow.fxnetworks.com/

What I don't understand is why some networks (HBO, Showtime, etc) have all kinds of shows and movies - even old ones - available to stream but other networks (Fox, AMC, USA) only have current seasons and previous seasons are only available on streaming services.
    “From thirty feet away she looked like a lot of class. From ten feet away she looked like something made up to be seen from thirty feet away.” – Philip Marlowe

Thanks, Hal.
    What can this strange device be? When I touch it, it brings forth a sound (2112)

I'm here for the moosic NogbadTheBad's Avatar
    Just started season 2 of His Dark Materials, enjoyed season 1. Also started Murder At White House Farm a 6 part docudrama of a murder case from the 80's in England.
    Ian

Host of the Post-Avant Jazzcore Happy Hour on progrock.com
    https://podcasts.progrock.com/post-a...re-happy-hour/

Gordon Haskell - "You've got to keep the groove in your head and play a load of bollocks instead"
    I blame Wynton, what was the question?
    There are only 10 types of people in the World, those who understand binary and those that don't.

^ I need to check out the HDM, having read the books.

Quote Originally Posted by NogbadTheBad View Post
    Also started Murder At White House Farm a 6 part docudrama of a murder case from the 80's in England.
    That was pretty good. You may recognize the main guy from this season of The Crown (he plays Mark Thatcher).
    Interviewer of reprobate ne'er-do-well musicians of the long-haired rock n' roll persuasion at: www.velvetthunder.co.uk and former scribe at Classic Rock Society. Only vaguely aware of anything other than music.

*** Join me in the Garden of Delights for 3 hours of tune-spinning... every Saturday at 5pm EST on Deep Nuggets radio! www.deepnuggets.com ***

His Dark Materials on HBO. Watched the first season after seeing an ad for the second season a week or so ago and season 2 started yesterday. I like it, weird worlds and such. Decent fantasy so far.

For true crime there's Murder On Middle Beach, also HBO. Made by the son of the deceased. It's an interesting who-dun-it as it's never been solved.

Wet Markets Exposed on VICE. It's quite horrific, as one would expect it to be but it goes into why these places exist and why it's so hard to get rid of them. It's a cultural thing we don't understand very much as we have no need for them.

Soulmates on AMC was really great. Only six episodes but wow, they are good with the last one being the real kick in the ass. Sarah Snook (Sucession) is in the first episode and Betsy Brandt (Breaking Bad) is the kicker in the last episode which blew my mind once I figured out what was really going on. Some really great observations in this one. A odd one too, six stories all connected by this Soul Connex app that seems to rule the world but yet not connected to each other other than the theme of the show.

The Third Day, HBO was also fantastic and only six episodes. Jude Law was very weird in this one and the story has that Midsommar, Wickerman type vibe going for it. Took me a while to finish it. I thought my DVR was on the fritz but there's also only six episodes, I just hadn't finished the last one. I sometimes get tired and turn things off, forgetting to go back and watch them.
    Carry On My Blood-Ejaculating Son - JKL2000

There's an excellent documentary on HBO called White Light/Black Rain: The Destruction of Hiroshima and Nagasaki. You can probably figure out what this is about. One of the best documentaries I've ever seen. Plus, it has a soundtrack that includes songs by Mogwai, Sigur Ros, and Brian Eno.

For true crime, there's a documentary called Voyeur on Netflix. "Journalism icon Gay Talese reports on Gerald Foos, the owner of a Colorado motel, who allegedly secretly watched his guests with the aid of specially designed ceiling vents, peering from an 'observation platform' he built in the motel's attic." This turned out to be really good.

And on Prime, there's The Witness. "The name Kitty Genovese became synonymous with bystander apathy after The New York Times reported that 38 witnesses heard her being murdered — and did nothing to help. The Witness follows Genovese's brother Bill's search for the truth and ultimately debunks initial reports and long-held public opinion about the circumstances of Kitty Genovese's murder." This turned out to be fascinating, from what I recall.
    “From thirty feet away she looked like a lot of class. From ten feet away she looked like something made up to be seen from thirty feet away.” – Philip Marlowe

I almost forgot. There's a really good 7 part docuseries on Netflix, called The Keepers, that "explores the unsolved murder of nun Catherine Cesnik in 1969... and her former students' belief that there was a cover-up by authorities after she suspected that a priest at the high school was guilty of sexually abusing students."

Quote Originally Posted by Hal... View Post
    I almost forgot. There's a really good 7 part docuseries on Netflix, called The Keepers, that "explores the unsolved murder of nun Catherine Cesnik in 1969... and her former students' belief that there was a cover-up by authorities after she suspected that a priest at the high school was guilty of sexually abusing students."
    The Keepers is excellent. Disturbing, but excellent.

Don't let your meatloaf! Paulie's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by mozo-pg View Post
    Greg, Fargo is insanely good. Each season is a story on its own with easter-egg tie-ins to other seasons. You don't need to watch them in order. As a matter of fact, my fiance is all-in on this latest season (4) and she is absolutely is loving it, so I told her that she could just go chronologically from here (4, 2, 1, 3) and be just as thrilled. If you like Breaking Bad, you'll love this show. Similar with excellent writing, acting, cinematography, quirkiness, and the feeling of dread with good folks placed in extroadinary danger. My ranking is: 1, 2, 4, 3. Season 2 (70's) might be of interest here with a couple funny prog rock references. Actually, they all have excellent music throughout. Enjoy the ride!
    "That gum you like is going to come back in style."

Quote Originally Posted by Hal... View Post
    I saw that one. Very good and well worth checking out.

Tomorrow night is the grand finale for the CW series Supernatural. My wife and I have watched most of the seasons though there was a real rut the show fell into a few years ago. I don't know whether there was a massive change in the writers room or what, but the last couple years have seen the series swing back into its groove and the writers got rid of the crap the fans had been vehemently bitching about. Last week, the Big Bad of the season - God, was defeated and now we get a two hour epilogue episode. Despite having to wrap it up (or maybe because of it) it's been pretty tight, sticking to the big story arc and wrapping up a lot of favorite characters/plot lines. I've been very satisfied with the way they are wrapping this up and look forward to tomorrow night. Carry on Wayward Winchester Sons.
    I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down.'- Bob Newhart

Parrots Ripped My Flesh Dave (in MA)'s Avatar
    After each Fargo episode I go off on a search for reviews/recaps so that I can find out about all the details that I never noticed. Lots of inside references, references to past seasons, other TV/movies, etc. Some of these folks are real Coen Bros. trainspotters and/or movie savants and they seem to catch details I'd never spot. Most of what went on in the most recent episode even I was able to catch, but there were still several details I missed. My wife asked how many more episodes of this stupid show are there.

My wife asked how many more episodes of this stupid show are there.
    My wife was enthusiastic for season one, was mild on season two, and I couldn't get her to watch three or four. I guess I'll have to catch season four on Hulu and I hate Hulu.
    I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down.'- Bob Newhart

Quote Originally Posted by Jerjo View Post
    My wife was enthusiastic for season one, was mild on season two, and I couldn't get her to watch three or four. I guess I'll have to catch season four on Hulu and I hate Hulu.
    I have been lucky, my wife has also been into every season.

Greg, Fargo is insanely good. Each season is a story on its own with easter-egg tie-ins to other seasons. You don't need to watch them in order. As a matter of fact, my fiance is all-in on this latest season (4) and she is absolutely is loving it, so I told her that she could just go chronologically from here (4, 2, 1, 3) and be just as thrilled. If you like Breaking Bad, you'll love this show. Similar with excellent writing, acting, cinematography, quirkiness, and the feeling of dread with good folks placed in extroadinary danger. My ranking is: 1, 2, 4, 3. Season 2 (70's) might be of interest here with a couple funny prog rock references. Actually, they all have excellent music throughout. Enjoy the ride!
    Thanks Paulie! I'm keen to explore. My wife never saw Breaking Bad and we binged watched the all of the full seasons (3rd or 4th time for me) and she loved it! That's high praise for Fargo with your comparison, so we'll jump in next (have 8 episodes of the current season recorded). The only problem with me accessing earlier seasons is that Hal said they are only available through Hula (not in Canada )

All the best to you and your fiance during the holidays!

Three random points about The Crown season 4:

- Gillian Anderson is doing an excellent job with Margaret Thatcher, but I keep wondering: did she really talk that way in one-on-one conversation too? It's no different to when she is addressing the nation.

- I won't give spoilers, but there's a scene in episode 5 where two men fight, and for the first time ever on film that I can recall, the punches sounded like they do in real life (i.e. not all bassy, over the top and in stereo).

- Charles Edwards, who plays the queen's courtier, was the guy who played Michael Palin in that Python movie I mentioned a while back, and now I can't see him as anyone but Michael Palin! (I know he was in Downton Abbey too, among other things...)
    Interviewer of reprobate ne'er-do-well musicians of the long-haired rock n' roll persuasion at: www.velvetthunder.co.uk and former scribe at Classic Rock Society. Only vaguely aware of anything other than music.

*** Join me in the Garden of Delights for 3 hours of tune-spinning... every Saturday at 5pm EST on Deep Nuggets radio! www.deepnuggets.com ***

^ Well, the "nudge, nudge, wink, wink" scene with Maggie Thatcher didn't help in that regard.

Quote Originally Posted by moecurlythanu View Post
    ^ Well, the "nudge, nudge, wink, wink" scene with Maggie Thatcher didn't help in that regard.
    Nice try, but Palin wasn't in that sketch!

Quote Originally Posted by Progatron View Post
    Nice try, but Palin wasn't in that sketch!
    Oh, that's right, it was Eric Idle.