Page 151 of 328 FirstFirst ... 51101141147148149150151152153154155161201251 ... LastLast
Results 3,751 to 3,775 of 8188

Thread: Current fav US TV series

Don't let your meatloaf! Paulie's Avatar
    Latest season of Fargo: The season 2 tie-in hit me like a ton of bricks this week (though, in hindsight, I probably should have seen it way earlier). Anyone else catch it?

This show ranks up there among the best ever.
    "That gum you like is going to come back in style."

Quote Originally Posted by Paulie View Post
    Latest season of Fargo: The season 2 tie-in hit me like a ton of bricks this week (though, in hindsight, I probably should have seen it way earlier). Anyone else catch it?

This show ranks up there among the best ever.
    I saw that they met briefly with a gang from Fargo, but did not really make a direct connection. What did I miss?

Don't let your meatloaf! Paulie's Avatar
    Spoiler Alert:

The Irish guy who's looking after gang-trade Satchel Cannon (Chris Rock's young son) is Rabbi Milligan (from a previous "trade"). Now they are most certainly on the run after the failed hit. Could Satchel Cannon's name soon be changed to Mike Milligan (the fantastic Kansas City hitman character from Season 2)? Hmmmmmmm? The timeline makes perfect sense. 29 years between seasons. It instantly clicked when Swartzman's character tells his toady to "go get Milligan" in order lure him away from Satchel so they could whack him in retaliation. I hadn't caught the Milligan name previously, if there was a mention at all.

Love this show!!!!!!!
    "That gum you like is going to come back in style."

Quote Originally Posted by Paulie View Post
    Spoiler Alert:

The Irish guy who's looking after gang-trade Satchel Cannon (Chris Rock's young son) is Rabbi Milligan (from a previous "trade"). Now they are most certainly on the run after the failed hit. Could Satchel Cannon's name soon be changed to Mike Milligan (the fantastic Kansas City hitman character from Season 2)? Hmmmmmmm? The timeline makes perfect sense. 29 years between seasons. It instantly clicked when Swartzman's character tells his toady to "go get Milligan" in order lure him away from Satchel so they could whack him in retaliation. I hadn't caught the Milligan name previously, if there was a mention at all.

Love this show!!!!!!!
    Mind blown! I never made that connection at all!

BTW, that actor (Ben Whishaw) who plays Rabbi Milligan is one of those who morphs into their roles completely. I didn't even recognize him until my wife pointed out that he played King Richard in The Hollow Crown, a Shakespeare series I loved. He is a top notch actor IMO.
    Interviewer of reprobate ne'er-do-well musicians of the long-haired rock n' roll persuasion at: www.velvetthunder.co.uk and former scribe at Classic Rock Society. Only vaguely aware of anything other than music.

*** Join me in the Garden of Delights for 3 hours of tune-spinning... every Saturday at 5pm EST on Deep Nuggets radio! www.deepnuggets.com ***

Quote Originally Posted by moecurlythanu View Post
    Um...uhh...
    Quote Originally Posted by aith01 View Post
    Yeah... Not really where I was going with that.
    It was obvious to me when I saw the commercials for it prior to the first season that it was a show whose intended audience was women (my niece calls it a "chick show"). And, indeed, the ratings bear that out: 2/3 of its audience are women. In fact, a nickname for the show is "This Is Us Crying".

It's not rocket science.

Nor is there any judgement involved. The average female viewer has a different preference than the average male viewer.
    “From thirty feet away she looked like a lot of class. From ten feet away she looked like something made up to be seen from thirty feet away.” – Philip Marlowe

Quote Originally Posted by Hal... View Post
    It was obvious to me when I saw the commercials for it prior to the first season that it was a show whose intended audience was women (my niece calls it a "chick show"). And, indeed, the ratings bear that out: 2/3 of its audience are women. In fact, a nickname for the show is "This Is Us Crying".

It's not rocket science.

Nor is there any judgement involved. The average female viewer has a different preference than the average male viewer.
    I didn't meant to imply that there was any judgment on your part. Just when moecurlythanu quoted our comments together it was coincidentally humorous because of what it looked like we were saying.

"This Is Us Crying" seems like a fitting nickname.

Debuting on Amazon today - a new comedy/horror series with Nick Frost and Simon Pegg. 8 episodes, each about a half hour long.

I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down.'- Bob Newhart

Quote Originally Posted by SteveSly View Post
    I am kind of curious what people here think of “This Is Us”. My wife has been watching it since the beginning and absolutely love it, as do quite a few friends of ours. I saw an episode here and there, but it never really caught me. So, since I am home recovering from my knee surgery, my wife finally got me to start it from the beginning. I just finished season one, and I am not really sure if I like it or not. On the one had it is cool how they bounce around in time and show how people came to be what they came to be. The acting is good for the most part, and the writing is creative. On the other hand, sometimes, the show just drags on and on for me, and I want them to just get on with it. The melodrama is a bit much too. So…..after watching one season I don’t hate it, but I don’t love it either. Wondering what people here think of this show? I am sure it has been mentioned here before, but don’t want to wade back through all the threads.
    With no "chicks" in my house, rarely will a "chick show" find its way to my TV screen.
    "Well my son, life is like a beanstalk, isn't it?"--Dalai Lama

Quote Originally Posted by Progatron View Post
    Mind blown! I never made that connection at all!

BTW, that actor (Ben Whishaw) who plays Rabbi Milligan is one of those who morphs into their roles completely. I didn't even recognize him until my wife pointed out that he played King Richard in The Hollow Crown, a Shakespeare series I loved. He is a top notch actor IMO.
    Wow! Never thought of that, but it makes perfect sense.

Quote Originally Posted by SteveSly View Post
    I have not seen much talk about the new season of Fargo. I think they are knocking it out of the park once again. I have no clue where they are going with the story, but it is as quirky and well written and acted as ever.
    Great show! Again. A bloodbath is coming.
    I enjoyed the first episode of The Undoing last week. Nicole Kidman is always terrific. Always great to see Donald Sutherland still acting. Hopefully this series will not disappoint.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Anyone watch Britannia?
    "And this is the chorus.....or perhaps it's a bridge...."

Finished up the last season of The Good Place last night. Sad to see it end. Kristin Bell = Dream Girl!
    A Comfort Zone is not a Life Sentence

Quote Originally Posted by wideopenears View Post
    Anyone watch Britannia?
    I've been meaning to check it out, but never got round to it.

Quote Originally Posted by moecurlythanu View Post
    I've been meaning to check it out, but never got round to it.
    It's got some cheese factor, but enjoyable mindless fun. Not historically accurate by any stretch......but you've gotta love that the Druids are Britannia's psychedelic shamans, tripping out on various substances while hanging out in their sweat lodges. No dragons (yet), but lots of demonic possession, trips to the underworld, and Celtic T & A everywhere. I give it three Possessed Roman Warriors.
    "And this is the chorus.....or perhaps it's a bridge...."

^ Sounds worth giving it a go.

I'm here for the moosic NogbadTheBad's Avatar
    Truth Seekers is a new horror comedy on Amazon Prime from Simon Pegg & Nick Frost (Shaun Of The Dead, Hot Fuzz), first episode seems promising.
    Ian

Host of the Post-Avant Jazzcore Happy Hour on progrock.com
    https://podcasts.progrock.com/post-a...re-happy-hour/

Gordon Haskell - "You've got to keep the groove in your head and play a load of bollocks instead"
    I blame Wynton, what was the question?
    There are only 10 types of people in the World, those who understand binary and those that don't.

I'm here for the moosic NogbadTheBad's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by wideopenears View Post
    Anyone watch Britannia?
    Britannia is silly but lots of fun , we enjoyed it.
    Ian

Host of the Post-Avant Jazzcore Happy Hour on progrock.com
    https://podcasts.progrock.com/post-a...re-happy-hour/

Gordon Haskell - "You've got to keep the groove in your head and play a load of bollocks instead"
    I blame Wynton, what was the question?
    There are only 10 types of people in the World, those who understand binary and those that don't.

COBRA has been really good. Tense, gripping drama about society run amok after a massive and sustained loss of power.

Roadkill is also excellent so far, Hugh Laurie is always top notch. Still loving Fargo each week as well, and letting the new series The Undoing build up so I can binge it. Plenty of good stuff at the moment!
    Interviewer of reprobate ne'er-do-well musicians of the long-haired rock n' roll persuasion at: www.velvetthunder.co.uk and former scribe at Classic Rock Society. Only vaguely aware of anything other than music.

*** Join me in the Garden of Delights for 3 hours of tune-spinning... every Saturday at 5pm EST on Deep Nuggets radio! www.deepnuggets.com ***

Quote Originally Posted by NogbadTheBad View Post
    Truth Seekers is a new horror comedy on Amazon Prime from Simon Pegg & Nick Frost (Shaun Of The Dead, Hot Fuzz), first episode seems promising.
    We watched the first two episodes and laughed our asses off
    I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down.'- Bob Newhart

Star Trek Discovery is my favorite current show, followed by Archer, and also Lower Decks.
    Eagles may soar, but weasels don't get sucked into jet engines.

I need to pick up CBS access again to watch Discovery. We tried Hulu for a while to binge on X-Files but I cancelled it. Time to pick up another one.

Quote Originally Posted by IMWeasel View Post
    Star Trek Discovery is my favorite current show, followed by Archer, and also Lower Decks.
    I was annoyed when CBS preempted Discovery for election coverage last week. There was so much info rolling in so quickly, they definitely couldn't break away from that coverage.
    "Well my son, life is like a beanstalk, isn't it?"--Dalai Lama

Parrots Ripped My Flesh Dave (in MA)'s Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Hal... View Post
    I'd never heard of it, but one evening a few female FB acquaintances were having a discussion on ones' FB wall that went something like,

Oh. My. God.
    I know, right?
    I'm crying my eyes out!!
    Me too!!!

I figured something was wrong, so I asked if everything was OK, and got told,

This is us.

I replied "huh?", and was told that they were watching a TV show.

Quote Originally Posted by Dave (in MA) View Post
    I'd never heard of it, but one evening a few female FB acquaintances were having a discussion on ones' FB wall that went something like,

Oh. My. God.
    I know, right?
    I'm crying my eyes out!!
    Me too!!!

This is us.

“From thirty feet away she looked like a lot of class. From ten feet away she looked like something made up to be seen from thirty feet away.” – Philip Marlowe

Quote Originally Posted by Dave (in MA) View Post

Oh. My. God.
    I know, right?
    I'm crying my eyes out!!
    Me too!!!

This is us.

I have to admit that it has grown on me a bit. I have continued to watch it and am almost at the end of season 2. It is pretty cool how they jump around in time. I would like to maybe look into how they actually film it all since they have mutiple timelines going all the time. It is pretty sappy at times, and some of the episodes really drag, but the acting is good to great (some of the our outstanding actors) and writing is good for the most part. Since my wife likes it so much I am going to probably watch the rest.