Page 150 of 330 FirstFirst ... 50100140146147148149150151152153154160200250 ... LastLast
Results 3,726 to 3,750 of 8243

Thread: Current fav US TV series

Flesh And Blood was very good. Quick, easy watch at only 4 episodes, but a good story and acting.
    Interviewer of reprobate ne'er-do-well musicians of the long-haired rock n' roll persuasion at: www.velvetthunder.co.uk and former scribe at Classic Rock Society. Only vaguely aware of anything other than music.

*** Join me in the Garden of Delights for 3 hours of tune-spinning... every Saturday at 5pm EST on Deep Nuggets radio! www.deepnuggets.com ***

I have not seen much talk about the new season of Fargo. I think they are knocking it out of the park once again. I have no clue where they are going with the story, but it is as quirky and well written and acted as ever.

Quote Originally Posted by SteveSly View Post
    I have not seen much talk about the new season of Fargo. I think they are knocking it out of the park once again. I have no clue where they are going with the story, but it is as quirky and well written and acted as ever.
    It's very good as always. The tone, pacing, writing, acting... all top notch. And although I've never really loved Chris Rock as a comedian, I think he does a great job in this dramatic role. My only gripe about Fargo is the same one I've had for four seasons plus a feature film: I don't understand the point of the whole "This is a true story" beginning, when it isn't any such thing. I find that a bit baffling, and adds nothing to the show. Not a big deal, of course, but it always trips me up, because I wonder every time why they insist on that.

We just finished binging The Third Day, which was a bizarre little series with some Midsommar-like vibes to it at times. Quite good, if a bit weird in the middle. Good cast though.
    Interviewer of reprobate ne'er-do-well musicians of the long-haired rock n' roll persuasion at: www.velvetthunder.co.uk and former scribe at Classic Rock Society. Only vaguely aware of anything other than music.

*** Join me in the Garden of Delights for 3 hours of tune-spinning... every Saturday at 5pm EST on Deep Nuggets radio! www.deepnuggets.com ***

Quote Originally Posted by Progatron View Post
    It's very good as always. The tone, pacing, writing, acting... all top notch. And although I've never really loved Chris Rock as a comedian, I think he does a great job in this dramatic role. My only gripe about Fargo is the same one I've had for four seasons plus a feature film: I don't understand the point of the whole "This is a true story" beginning, when it isn't any such thing. I find that a bit baffling, and adds nothing to the show. Not a big deal, of course, but it always trips me up, because I wonder every time why they insist on that.
    h.
    I am not sure what the point of that is either. I mean, I remember they did it in the movie, so I guess that is what the tie in is, but it seems pointless to me.

I am not sure what the point of that is either. I mean, I remember they did it in the movie, so I guess that is what the tie in is, but it seems pointless to me.
    My personal take on it is that they were making fun of all of the Hollywood movies proclaiming to be "based on true stories" when the bulk of the movie was fictional. They've kept the gag going.

Good show. A–.
    “From thirty feet away she looked like a lot of class. From ten feet away she looked like something made up to be seen from thirty feet away.” – Philip Marlowe

Anyone have experience with an LG Blu-Ray player that also has the ability to download streaming service apps?
    “From thirty feet away she looked like a lot of class. From ten feet away she looked like something made up to be seen from thirty feet away.” – Philip Marlowe

We started The Queen's Gambit tonight. First episode was excellent, we will definitely carry on!

Quote Originally Posted by Hal... View Post
    Anyone have experience with an LG Blu-Ray player that also has the ability to download streaming service apps?
    I have experience with a Sony BD Player with downloadable apps. Pretty much any modern player has the same capability.
    "Well my son, life is like a beanstalk, isn't it?"--Dalai Lama

Star Trek Discovery!
    Eagles may soar, but weasels don't get sucked into jet engines.

Yeah, what I have heard about Discovery is that season three is going into the unknown rather than dealing with resurrecting old characters and storylines. I don't know if it reaches the level of the first season of Picard but I'm willing to give it a try again.
    I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down.'- Bob Newhart

Look like another season of scifi fantasy action trek. Not for me.

Quote Originally Posted by thedunno View Post
    Look like another season of scifi fantasy action trek. Not for me.
    Have you seen Picard? Because that definitely is on a very high level.

In other news, I finally watched the second season of Stranger Things (I am a bit behind on a lot of shows). It took a while to catch fire but damn, they had the tension cranked for the last four episodes. On to season three soon.
    I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down.'- Bob Newhart

Watched the first two episodes of the new 7 part Netflix miniseries The Queen's Gambit last night. I liked what I've seen, so far, a great deal.

I saw in the credits it was directed, written, and co-created by Scott Frank who's responsible for the Netflix miniseries Godless and for writing the screenplays to movies like Little Man Tate, Get Shorty, Out of Sight, Minority Report, The Lookout (which he also directed), Marley and Me, et al.

Member since March 2004 mozo-pg's Avatar
    My wife and I made our way through 3 sessions of Breaking Bad. I've seen it many times but it was new for my lovely wife. She's impressed. I'm so impressed at how better the story progresses over time and given the breath of the series, I forgot a fair amount. She's never heard or seen any of the Sopranos. I've seen these episodes more frequently than BB. Still, it's vicareous watching.
    What can this strange device be? When I touch it, it brings forth a sound (2112)

Quote Originally Posted by mozo-pg View Post
    My wife and I made our way through 3 sessions of Breaking Bad. I've seen it many times but it was new for my lovely wife. She's impressed. I'm so impressed at how better the story progresses over time and given the breath of the series, I forgot a fair amount. She's never heard or seen any of the Sopranos. I've seen these episodes more frequently than BB. Still, it's vicareous watching.
    Ahh, that's fun stuff. I've done the same with my wife, watching a few series and movies that I love. I enjoy seeing her reaction.

I am kind of curious what people here think of “This Is Us”. My wife has been watching it since the beginning and absolutely love it, as do quite a few friends of ours. I saw an episode here and there, but it never really caught me. So, since I am home recovering from my knee surgery, my wife finally got me to start it from the beginning. I just finished season one, and I am not really sure if I like it or not. On the one had it is cool how they bounce around in time and show how people came to be what they came to be. The acting is good for the most part, and the writing is creative. On the other hand, sometimes, the show just drags on and on for me, and I want them to just get on with it. The melodrama is a bit much too. So…..after watching one season I don’t hate it, but I don’t love it either. Wondering what people here think of this show? I am sure it has been mentioned here before, but don’t want to wade back through all the threads.

I am kind of curious what people here think of “This Is Us”. My wife has been watching it since the beginning and absolutely love it, as do quite a few friends of ours. I saw an episode here and there, but it never really caught me. So, since I am home recovering from my knee surgery, my wife finally got me to start it from the beginning. I just finished season one, and I am not really sure if I like it or not. On the one had it is cool how they bounce around in time and show how people came to be what they came to be. The acting is good for the most part, and the writing is creative. On the other hand, sometimes, the show just drags on and on for me, and I want them to just get on with it. The melodrama is a bit much too. So…..after watching one season I don’t hate it, but I don’t love it either. Wondering what people here think of this show? I am sure it has been mentioned here before, but don’t want to wade back through all the threads.
    I thought about watching it after seeing a little bit, but my brother and his wife watched the show and while she liked it he was not a fan. The way he described it to me was that it's pure emotional manipulation.

Not to disparage anyone who likes the show of course; it's not my cup of tea.

It's show geared toward women.

I like it, and find the acting really good, for an American network show.
    "And this is the chorus.....or perhaps it's a bridge...."

Quote Originally Posted by aith01 View Post
    The way he described it to me was that it's pure emotional manipulation.
    Um...uhh...

Member since March 2004 mozo-pg's Avatar
    I can't stomach it. Pure maple syrup.
    What can this strange device be? When I touch it, it brings forth a sound (2112)

Quote Originally Posted by moecurlythanu View Post
    Um...uhh...
    Yeah... Not really where I was going with that.

As mentioned, my wife loves it. I think part of it is she is from a large family (7 brothers and sisters). I think she relates to a lot of the inter family drama a lot more than I do. I come from a very small family (1 sister) and I just don't relate to a lot of it. My wife's real life family is full of drama and inter-personal conflicts not all that different from what is portrayed in the show. My family had it's share of drama, but on a much lesser scale.

Quote Originally Posted by wideopenears View Post
    I like it, and find the acting really good, for an American network show.
    I agree that the acting is good.