Page 14 of 330 FirstFirst ... 41011121314151617182464114 ... LastLast

Thread: Current fav US TV series

Fargo - enjoyed it more this season than last, but WTF was that spaceship doing in the last episodes? Totally unnecessary.

The Leftovers - this season is far better than last

Homeland - just started watching this seasons episodes. If it's anything like last year it should be killer.

We've been watching other stuff, but nothing really great in that batch. Just time killers.
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    A gentleman is defined as someone who knows how to play the accordion, and doesn't.

Parrots Ripped My Flesh Dave (in MA)'s Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by BobM View Post
    Fargo - enjoyed it more this season than last, but WTF was that spaceship doing in the last episodes? Totally unnecessary.
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Val_Johnson_incident

Watched the first two episodes of season 1 last night. A lot different than season 2 but enjoyable so far.
    NEVER UNDERESTIMATE THE POWER OF STUPID PEOPLE IN LARGE GROUPS!

Quote Originally Posted by Dave (in MA) View Post
    Aside from the historical aspect, it was exactly the sort of thing the Coen brothers would do.
    “From thirty feet away she looked like a lot of class. From ten feet away she looked like something made up to be seen from thirty feet away.” – Philip Marlowe

Quote Originally Posted by Jerjo View Post
    Trane, being you thought Justified was a bit too violent you should be warned, Fargo isn't far behind (especially in the second season).
    I dropped Fargo halfway through...

Not for useless violence reasons (I thought Justified ansd Banshee much worse in that dimension) AAMOF, there is relatively little violence compared to the two series mentioned above

I just can't get interested enough to the storyline, partly because of all the weirdness (I don't systematically enjoy everything the Coen Bros do), but also the wasted time like the falsely suspected pastor will likely come back later in the story, but right now, it just felt like a waste of time... therefore wasting mine
    my music collection increased tenfolds when I switched from drug-addicts to complete nutcases.

Anyone watching The Shannara Chronicles series on MTV? I watched the first 2 episodes last night. A lot of pretty well done CGI and probably not a small budget affair. I've never read the books, but this is supposed to be based on them. I wonder how close to the books the series hews? Anyway, it looks like around 5 episodes are currently available "on-demand," so I'm going to continue with this. Odd to see it on MTV, though.

These shows seem to occur sometime after the end of the books, from what I surmise. Jerle Shannara was the savior/king in the books and this is his last living descendant. So I think they are making up their own plot.

I am enjoying it so far, but there's nothing earth shattering here. It's not a Game of Thrones or anything.
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    A gentleman is defined as someone who knows how to play the accordion, and doesn't.

These shows seem to occur sometime after the end of the books, from what I surmise. Jerle Shannara was the savior/king in the books and this is his last living descendant. So I think they are making up their own plot.

I am enjoying it so far, but there's nothing earth shattering here. It's not a Game of Thrones or anything.
    Thanks Bob. Good to know.

Good to see Suits is back. I really like the Charles Forstman character, even if he only appears sporadically.

Fringe

In less than 2 weeks, VINYL tv series, start. Seems very promising, it is about the 70's rock music scene, rockstar, fans, record labels etc.
    Produced by Martin Scorsese and Mick Jagger!

Anyone seen the documentary show, 30 For 30 on ESPN? I am not really a sports guy. I watch F1, NCAA football, occasionally March Madness, and women's soccer but that's about it. But this show is excellent.

I think the first show I saw was on the 1983 NC State basketball team with Jimmy Valvano as the coach. Last night I watched the show about the '85 Chicago Bears. Both of these episodes were seriously good. If you have even a passing interest in sports or sports history, check out this show. It's excellent.
    “From thirty feet away she looked like a lot of class. From ten feet away she looked like something made up to be seen from thirty feet away.” – Philip Marlowe

Quote Originally Posted by Calabasas_Trafalgar View Post
    Good to see Suits is back. I really like the Charles Forstman character, even if he only appears sporadically.
    I've really been enjoying this show, though I'm only at the end of season 3 so no spoilers please...

In the Shannara/GOT style, I have been watching The Last Kingdom. It's pretty good. I'd rank it about the same as Marco Polo, both Netflix Originals...
    "Corn Flakes pissed in. You ranted. Mission accomplished. Thread closed."

-Cozy 3:16-

Quote Originally Posted by Sonia_Mota View Post
    In less than 2 weeks, VINYL tv series, start. Seems very promising, it is about the 70's rock music scene, rockstar, fans, record labels etc.
    Produced by Martin Scorsese and Mick Jagger!

o]
    Agreed, this looks like it is going to be good. The actor who plays the main character (I can’t remember his name off hand) was outstanding in Boardwalk Empire.

Quote Originally Posted by Hal... View Post
    Anyone seen the documentary show, 30 For 30 on ESPN? I am not really a sports guy. I watch F1, NCAA football, occasionally March Madness, and women's soccer but that's about it. But this show is excellent.

I think the first show I saw was on the 1983 NC State basketball team with Jimmy Valvano as the coach. Last night I watched the show about the '85 Chicago Bears. Both of these episodes were seriously good. If you have even a passing interest in sports or sports history, check out this show. It's excellent.
    I have seen quite a few of the 30 for 30 films and they have all been excellent.

Subterranean Tapir Hobo Chang Ba's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Hal... View Post

Just watched the Four Falls Of Buffalo about the early 90s Buffalo Bills. Very well done. My favorite is probably Catching Hell, about Bartman and the Chicago Cubs.
    Please don't ask questions, just use google.

Never let good music get in the way of making a profit.

I'm only here to reglaze my bathtub.

Quote Originally Posted by SteveSly View Post
    Agreed, this looks like it is going to be good. The actor who plays the main character (I can’t remember his name off hand) was outstanding in Boardwalk Empire.
    Yes, that's it! Where I know him from, too! The Italian guy from Boardwalk Empire, "Nucky" Thomson's nemesis.

Seriously looking forward to Vinyl. Tivo is all set to record it!
    Interviewer of reprobate ne'er-do-well musicians of the long-haired rock n' roll persuasion at: www.velvetthunder.co.uk and former scribe at Classic Rock Society. Only vaguely aware of anything other than music.

*** Join me in the Garden of Delights for 3 hours of tune-spinning... every Saturday at 5pm EST on Deep Nuggets radio! www.deepnuggets.com ***

Quote Originally Posted by Progatron View Post
    Seriously looking forward to Vinyl. Tivo is all set to record it!
    I am looking forward to this too, Progatron!

Netflix has done pretty well with some of their comic book adaptations like Jessica Jones. I wish they give Grimjack a try.

Been doing a Louie CK binge. It's pretty raunchy, but makes me laugh at some of the crazy stuff.

Quote Originally Posted by hippypants View Post
    Netflix has done pretty well with some of their comic book adaptations like Jessica Jones. I wish they give Grimjack a try.

Been doing a Louie CK binge. It's pretty raunchy, but makes me laugh at some of the crazy stuff.
    Let us know when you've watched the episode with Steven Root as The Dentist
    -=Will you stand by me against the cold night, or are you afraid of the ice?=-

I did see the dentist episode, it was great. I laughed out loud at the episode with his pregnant sister staying over too.

Those of you who like science fiction and fantasy might want to check out two new series this season on SyFy: The Expanse and The Magicians. Both are based on best-selling books and pretty much nail it. Of the two I would say The Expanse is better: a space opera that's dark and gritty with realistic science and a complicated plot. The Magicians series is set around students in their early twenties at a grad-school for magic. They swear, screw, drink, do drugs, and fuck up (like people in their early twenties do). It's taken about four episodes to hit its stride. I read the books so I was locked in no matter what. My wife was getting impatient with it but last night's episode hooked her for good.

You can stream both on the SyFy website (depending on what country you live in) or else you'll have to seek out a torrent in the darker places of the Internet.
    I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down.'- Bob Newhart

Read the Expanse series a few years ago. The books are better and too complex for a TV show, and it is suffering for it IMO. The Magicians series was read this past summer and I am enjoying the show. They are doing a decent job of it.

Also watching Beowulf. I think of this as a play off of the success of Vikings, which starts again in a week or two.

Started watching Zoo, off of Netflix at my daughters suggestion. Only 2 episodes in but it makes a good story so far.

Parrots Ripped My Flesh Dave (in MA)'s Avatar
    We couldn't get into the Expanse, so we gave up. One new show that we've been enjoying is Colony, a dystopian near-future series. It's been picked up for a 2nd season.