Page 149 of 330 FirstFirst ... 4999139145146147148149150151152153159199249 ... LastLast
Results 3,701 to 3,725 of 8227

Thread: Current fav US TV series

Member since March 2004 mozo-pg's Avatar
    Just started to watch Succcession. I'm about 5 episodes in. Good depiction of power and wealth. The acting is top shelf.
    What can this strange device be? When I touch it, it brings forth a sound (2112)

Quote Originally Posted by mozo-pg View Post
    Just started to watch Succcession. I'm about 5 episodes in. Good depiction of power and wealth. The acting is top shelf.
    One of the best series I've ever seen. Love the story and acting, I rank it up there with shows like Six Feet Under and Breaking Bad.
    Interviewer of reprobate ne'er-do-well musicians of the long-haired rock n' roll persuasion at: www.velvetthunder.co.uk and former scribe at Classic Rock Society. Only vaguely aware of anything other than music.

*** Join me in the Garden of Delights for 3 hours of tune-spinning... every Saturday at 5pm EST on Deep Nuggets radio! www.deepnuggets.com ***

I watched the trailer for Flesh and Blood. Damn, that looks tasty.
    I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down.'- Bob Newhart

Quote Originally Posted by Progatron View Post
    Season 4 of Fargo begins tonight with the first two episodes on FX. I have the DVR set!
    Yea baby!

One of the best series I've ever seen. Love the story and acting, I rank it up there with shows like Six Feet Under and Breaking Bad.
    Wow! That's high praise. We'll likely work our way through both seasons soon. On an unrelated note, my wife never saw Bourne Identity. We watched it tonight - she obviously loved it. Despite seeing it 30 or more time, it was excellent for me too - partly vicarious.
    What can this strange device be? When I touch it, it brings forth a sound (2112)

Season 4 of Fargo begins tonight with the first two episodes on FX. I have the DVR set!
    I watched the first episode. Chris Rock is in it this time around. As always, it’s excellent.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Don't let your meatloaf! Paulie's Avatar
    Fargo is off to a great start!!!
    "That gum you like is going to come back in style."

Succession is a load of fun. Those characters are so messed up. The daughter's husband, I forget his name but what a dickhead he is, and such a asskisser at the same time.

Loved the Boar on the Floor sequence.

Lovecraft Country is so wild. Magical things of varying varieties and it's gotten really funny even with the bleak background.

NEXT - Fox. AI takes over the world. It's so scary because the Singularity is going to happen and we are all doomed. First episode tonight so get on the bandwagon. Hope I don't live long enough to see this happen.

The Third Day - HBO - Seems like The Wickerman sort of reimagined. Totally creepy from the beginning scenes, it really kicks it into gear in just a few minutes.
    Carry On My Blood-Ejaculating Son - JKL2000

Started watching Emily In Paris last night on Netflix and couldn't stop watching episode after episode. More movie like than episodic. Definitely recommended.
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    A gentleman is defined as someone who knows how to play the accordion, and doesn't.

I'm here for the moosic NogbadTheBad's Avatar
    New series of Criminal UK dropped on Netflix, very good one room drama based in the interrogation room. Lots and lots of talking but very well done.
    Ian

Host of the Post-Avant Jazzcore Happy Hour on progrock.com
    https://podcasts.progrock.com/post-a...re-happy-hour/

Gordon Haskell - "You've got to keep the groove in your head and play a load of bollocks instead"
    I blame Wynton, what was the question?
    There are only 10 types of people in the World, those who understand binary and those that don't.

We finished The Tudors, going to miss it now after four seasons. I wish they had continued on and explored the reigns of Edward, Mary and Elizabeth.

Went back a bit and revisited two classic TV mini-series that my wife had never seen: North And South and The Thorn Birds. Both still hold up today as sweeping, epic sagas. Absolutely monster casts too. I'd like to re-watch Lonesome Dove sometime too.

Enjoying Fargo so far, seems to have maintained its excellent tone. About to dive in to the two new British series COBRA and Flesh And Blood, and looking forward to The Crown's return as well.
    Interviewer of reprobate ne'er-do-well musicians of the long-haired rock n' roll persuasion at: www.velvetthunder.co.uk and former scribe at Classic Rock Society. Only vaguely aware of anything other than music.

*** Join me in the Garden of Delights for 3 hours of tune-spinning... every Saturday at 5pm EST on Deep Nuggets radio! www.deepnuggets.com ***

This show is neither current or vintage but I'll post here. We've been streaming our way through the X-Files (only saw about half the episodes back in the 90s) and are halfway through season 4 right now. I remember that the "mythology" episodes were confusing but now, to watch them all in the context of TV's new golden age, they really and truly suck. It's pretty obvious that Chris Carter had no coherent plan for the alien conspiracy. One episode will contradict another, the plots of those episodes only hold together with hand waves and bullshit. There are plot holes you could drive a Kenworth through and the editing is really haphazard. We just saw Mulder and Scully fly to Canada from DC, do some incredulous shit, and then fly back to DC all within supposedly twelve hours. That's some cocaine writing there. The Monster of the Week stuff is really good but man, that Consortium/Black Oil plotline is just laughable.
    I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down.'- Bob Newhart

I finally got around to Ozark. Really enjoyed it. The last two episodes of season 3 are awesome. Tom Pelfry's performance was great. That dude dug deep.

For those of you with HBO Max, check out Animals. It's an animated series with episodes of less than a half hour. Each episode is named after a type of animal ("Rats", "Pigeons", "Cats", etc). The animation is bare bones and the colors muted. The dialogue is often hilarious. From the Pigeons episode: "I'm gonna fuck the feathers off ya." This show is off the hook.
    “From thirty feet away she looked like a lot of class. From ten feet away she looked like something made up to be seen from thirty feet away.” – Philip Marlowe

Animals is awesome.

Archer is certainly off to a good season.

^ I've actually been keeping up with it this season and I agree.
    “From thirty feet away she looked like a lot of class. From ten feet away she looked like something made up to be seen from thirty feet away.” – Philip Marlowe

Started watching the new Netflix show The Haunting of Bly Manor a few days ago. So far it's been pretty good. Much more atmospheric than most other haunted house movies/shows I've seen in the last couple decades.

Quote Originally Posted by Hal... View Post
    Started watching the new Netflix show The Haunting of Bly Manor a few days ago. So far it's been pretty good. Much more atmospheric than most other haunted house movies/shows I've seen in the last couple decades.
    We are five episodes in and it's quite intriguing. Less scares than I had hoped for, but the story is pretty cool so far. My wife is creeped out by Flora but I think she's absolutely adorable.

We are five episodes in and it's quite intriguing. Less scares than I had hoped for, but the story is pretty cool so far. My wife is creeped out by Flora but I think she's absolutely adorable.
    I've seen 4 episodes, I think, and I suspect the scares will increase. I've also had a couple moments where I got goose bumps, so that's always a good indicator for me.

I'm on the fence about Flora... and Miles.

Pretty disappointing ending IMO. It had a lot of promise, but never quite got there. The second to last episode was excellent, the last episode was lousy. And I cringed every time Jamie called Dani 'Poppins'. Really? Still with the cutesy nickname after ten years? I found Jamie annoying in general, to be honest. Oh well, was worth watching once.

My wife has never heard of Breaking Bad. We'll we're four episodes in (likely my 3rd of 4th round) and it amazing how quickly the plot establishes the defining elements of each character. The first episode is dynamic, and pulls the whole story together in one episode! It's all new for my wife but I'm enjoying the mutiple viewings, largely as a vicarious viewer watching my partner's reactions.

Pretty disappointing ending IMO. It had a lot of promise, but never quite got there. The second to last episode was excellent, the last episode was lousy. And I cringed every time Jamie called Dani 'Poppins'. Really? Still with the cutesy nickname after ten years? I found Jamie annoying in general, to be honest. Oh well, was worth watching once.
    I accidentally read your post before I saw the ending. I didn't have the same reaction as you and actually kinda liked the denouement. I did, however, have some issues with the show prior to that:
    • Sometimes, it seemed, the show's internal logic was faulty. Can't think of a specific example, at the moment.
    • The show got weird and confusing once "dream hopping" was introduced, which wasn't explained until later. And I felt like that was a turn that wasn't necessary and actually complicated the story.
    • What was the deal with Uncle Henry and Uncle Henry? I don't recall that ever being explained.

It's too bad. The show had a lot of potential. I think, ultimately, they tried to do too much.

Binged the whole season of Emily in Paris on Netflix, yesterday (each episode is just under 30 minutes). I was talked into watching it. I'm glad I was. This show is surprisingly good. It stars Lily Collins who, as I just found out, is the daughter of Phil Collins. She may be best known as an actress for playing Ted Bundy's girlfriend opposite Zac Efron in Extremely Wicked, Shockingly Evil and Vile. Or not.

Anyway, the show is a romantic dramedy about a young woman who works for a marketing firm in Chicago and is transferred to Paris to work at a French company that her company has just acquired. Problems: she doesn't speak French, her optimistic worldview is at odds with the existential French, she doesn't understand French culture, her boss really dislikes her, many French men are attracted to her, she's confident (perhaps overly so), and she often talks too much (according to her boss). You know, she's American. Almost all of these lead to some humorous subplot. Lest I forget, she has a romantic interest in the man who lives in the apartment below hers who, it turns out, is the boyfriend of one of her only friends.

The things the show has going for it are Collins (who is quite adorable), it actually is often funny, and it was filmed in Paris (which was the only reason I agreed to watch it). I hope there's a second season.

Ms Collins:

Parrots Ripped My Flesh Dave (in MA)'s Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Hal... View Post
    the show is a romantic dramedy
    Pass!