Page 147 of 330 FirstFirst ... 4797137143144145146147148149150151157197247 ... LastLast
Results 3,651 to 3,675 of 8227

Thread: Current fav US TV series

We watched the HBO documentary The Weight of Gold. It's all about the psychological pressures faced by Olympic athletes and is narrated by Michael Phelps. I always wondered about this - you train since you were a kid for an event that can be over in seconds. There has to be a brutal aftermath to dedicating your youth to a singular goal that all to often ends up being quite hollow. There's a real gut punch in the last quarter of the show when the topic turns to suicide. I highly recommend this one but it's not a feel good hit of the summer.
    Last edited by Jerjo; 08-03-2020 at 02:02 PM.
    I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down.'- Bob Newhart

Quote Originally Posted by progmatist View Post
    ^^ In my experience in the seedier parts of where I live, if one expects to be a victim, it becomes a self-fulfilling prophecy. Your naivete may have played a major role in nobody messing with you.
    I think you are probably correct. We were young, dumb, usually drunk and just did not even think about consequences of our actions. I remember one night we were walking down some street. I had a fake leather jacket on and as we were walking, I saw this guy duck into a doorway as we were walking towards him. I was worried the guy was going to jump out and mug us. After we walked by the guy, to my amazement, I realized he was scared of us and not the other way around. I was floored.

One night we got the bright idea to take a bottle of vodka & orange juice on the subway with us in the wee hours of the morning. To make a long story short, we got busted by a subway cop and kicked off the train. We had no idea where we were and walked up to the street level. There were absolutely no people around, and the street looked like something out of a run-down cityscape movie set. Just about that time a different cop walks up to us and asks for ID’s. He looks at my hayseed Michigan drivers license and goes WTF are you doing there? I am pretty sure he thought we were buying drug as it turns out we were in the middle of Harlem at 2AM in the morning. The cop gave us back our ID’s and told us to get back on the train and get the hell out of there. That whole situation could have ended up really bad, but we had no clue.

That summer was my one and only time in New York City. It was an amazing experience, but to be honest I cannot imagine living in city that size.

Quote Originally Posted by Hal... View Post
    Thanks Steve, for sending me down the rabbit hole of Mafia history for 3˝ hours.

That reminds me of a story about something that happened to me in NYC.

It was around midnight and I was walking down the west side of 7th Ave. I had just passed Macy's so I was around 32nd St. This woman with a pronounced accent walks up to me asking about a hotel. She tells me she'd just gotten off the bus. They took her luggage to the hotel she was going to be staying at and gave her a baggage claim ticket, which she showed me. It had the name and address of the hotel on it. I looked around at the addresses on the buildings and told her, "it should be right here."

What was strange, tho, was that the "claim ticket" was pretty wrinkly and actually looked like one of those tags you put on your suitcase with your name and address on it.

I told her to call information. She said she didn't know how and asked me for help. I told her to go to a phone booth and just dial 4-1-1 and then ask the operator for the address of the hotel. She was begging me to help her. She was alone, kind of hot, and so I agreed, now having an ulterior motive in thinking I could seduce her (yeah, I know, I'm despicable).

I looked around and saw some phone booths (the half kind, not the full booths) up north, near the corner of 7th & 33rd, pointed them out, and started walking back up 7th. As we reached 32nd, she said something so I stopped and turned toward her. Just then, a guy passed us, walking in the same direction. He crossed 32nd and continued walking up 7th. He was wearing a tan overcoat and had a cheap red umbrella. It's funny. For some reason, I had the thought that his umbrella didn't match his overcoat. lol

Anyway, we were just standing there on the corner when I noticed a bank of phone booths across the street and down 32nd, about 50 feet from the corner. I told her about them so we crossed the street. I went down to about the 5th or 6th phone booth, picked up the handset, and dialed 4-1-1. I happened to look over and at the first booth was the guy in the tan overcoat with the red umbrella.

I handed the woman the handset, said, "just tell her what you want," and walked away. She started begging again for me to help her but I just continued walking.

I turned on 7th and about a half a block down looked back up the street but didn't see the woman or guy. I breathed a big sigh of relief and the line from Thela Hun Ginjeet immediately popped to mind: "this is a dangerous place." I knew just then how Ade Belew felt when he starts laughing in the song.

I crossed back over to the west side of 7th just to put a little more distance between us. Another block later, the relief dissipated and I started feeling disappointed that I didn't get the chance to seduce that woman. (yeah, I know, I'm despicable)
    Great story!

Getting a bit back on topic. I am home recovering from knee surgery with some time to kill so the wife and I started watching "The Santa Clarita" diet based on comments here. We are both really enjoying it and are almost to the end of season 2. I actually think season 2 is better than season 1. Anyway, thanks for those of you here who recommended it.

Quote Originally Posted by Jerjo View Post
    We watched the HBO documentary The Weight of Gold. It's all about the psychological pressures faced by Olympic athletes and is narrated by Michael Phelps. I always wondered about this - you train since you were a kid for an event that can be over in seconds. There has to be a brutal aftermath to dedicating your youth to a singular goal that all to often ends up being quite hollow. There's a real gut punch in the last quarter of the show when the topic turns to suicide. I highly recommend this one but it's not a feel good hit of the summer.
    That sound really interesting. I will have to check it out.

Quote Originally Posted by SteveSly View Post
    Great story!
    Yours, too!

I was in the service when I was in NYC and I heard a lot of stories about guys doing crazy things and/or getting in trouble. I think that city brings it out in a lot of people. I found the energy of it exhausting, after awhile.
    “From thirty feet away she looked like a lot of class. From ten feet away she looked like something made up to be seen from thirty feet away.” – Philip Marlowe

The wife and I started "The Crown" on Netflix yesterday. Got through 3 episodes and enjoying it more than I thought I would.

Quote Originally Posted by Lou View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by chesterlamb View Post
    Currently watching Warrior Nun
    Just finished the series and really enjoyed it.
    I finished it the other day and I don't think I've binged anything that quickly.

Loved it!
    “From thirty feet away she looked like a lot of class. From ten feet away she looked like something made up to be seen from thirty feet away.” – Philip Marlowe

Lovecraft Country. Jim Crow America meets the Cthulhu Mythos. Birthday number 130 for HP Lovecraft tomorrow, August 20th.
    Lou

Looking forward to my day in court.

I'm here for the moosic NogbadTheBad's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Lopez View Post
    Lovecraft Country. Jim Crow America meets the Cthulhu Mythos. Birthday number 130 for HP Lovecraft tomorrow, August 20th.
    Watched the first episode, it was a lot of fun.
    Ian

Host of the Post-Avant Jazzcore Happy Hour on progrock.com
    https://podcasts.progrock.com/post-a...re-happy-hour/

Gordon Haskell - "You've got to keep the groove in your head and play a load of bollocks instead"
    I blame Wynton, what was the question?
    There are only 10 types of people in the World, those who understand binary and those that don't.

Haven't seen the show, but loved the book. There is a lot of "reclaiming" of Lovecraft's mythology right now, and Lovecraft Country is among the best. Also very good are The Dream Quest of Vellit Boe, by Kij Johnson, and (my favorite) The Ballad of Black Tom, by Victor Lavalle, which retells HPL's most openly racist story from the point of view of a Black New Yorker. And though it remains on my to-read pile (a/k/a Mount Tsundoku) I've heard many good things about Elizabeth Bear's "Shoggoths in Bloom".
    Cobra handling and cocaine use are a bad mix.

Lucifer Season 5 hits Netflix on Friday
    A Comfort Zone is not a Life Sentence

Quote Originally Posted by Lopez View Post
    I have to check this out.

Good news. The Alienist is back On Demand. We were finally able to finish season 1 last night.

We binged Norsemen. Eighteen half-hour episodes of hilarious Norwegian viking comedy. The violence is quite a dark aspect of it, but the comedy is gold. Many laugh out loud moments. Filmed in Norway and set in the 700s.
    Interviewer of reprobate ne'er-do-well musicians of the long-haired rock n' roll persuasion at: www.velvetthunder.co.uk and former scribe at Classic Rock Society. Only vaguely aware of anything other than music.

*** Join me in the Garden of Delights for 3 hours of tune-spinning... every Saturday at 5pm EST on Deep Nuggets radio! www.deepnuggets.com ***

Here we go kids, but it's a teaser trailer so like, just the tip

I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down.'- Bob Newhart

I never even finished season 10.

Just finished Doom Patrol on HBO Max Been a fan of the comics for a while. The original run as well as the Vertigo run and all the other versions. Awesome show. Really nailed the weirdness and absurdity of all the various incarnations of Doom Patrol. Wacky fun.

Quote Originally Posted by Rick L. View Post
    Just finished Doom Patrol on HBO Max Been a fan of the comics for a while. The original run as well as the Vertigo run and all the other versions. Awesome show. Really nailed the weirdness and absurdity of all the various incarnations of Doom Patrol. Wacky fun.
    Will check it out.
    Ian

Gordon Haskell - "You've got to keep the groove in your head and play a load of bollocks instead"
    There are only 10 types of people in the World, those who understand binary and those that don't.

Quote Originally Posted by Rick L. View Post
    My question is the villains.

Do they have the Men from N.O.W.H.E.R.E.? The Scissormen? Monsiur Mallah and the Brain? Or ... oh please ... the Beardhunter?
    Cobra handling and cocaine use are a bad mix.

Quote Originally Posted by Sturgeon's Lawyer View Post
    My question is the villains.

Do they have the Men from N.O.W.H.E.R.E.? The Scissormen? Monsiur Mallah and the Brain? Or ... oh please ... the Beardhunter?
    Watch and see! It's pretty awesome.

Am currently finishing up the Netflix sci-fi series Another Life. Here's the synopsis from Wikipedia, which I've re-written to reflect the show's focus: "A flying object shaped like a Möbius strip lands on Earth and grows a crystal shell. Captain Niko Breckinridge (Katee Sackhoff) takes the spaceship Salvare and its crew to find the origin of the artifact, because her husband Erik (Justin Chatwin), a scientist employed by the United States Interstellar Command, fails to discover a way to communicate with the alien monolith."

Here's a better description: Murphy's Law meets As the World Turns. RottenTomatoes gives the following scores: 6% (critics) and 60% (audience). Metacritic gives a score of 33%.

Yeah, it's a mess. It's amazing how many things have gone wrong with Breckinridge's mission, the ship, etc. It is literally one thing after another. Years ago, my dad made this observation about Star Trek: with all the technological advances that have enabled space ships, phasers, communicators, and faster-than-light travel, it's amazing how often stuff breaks down. This show takes it to the next level. lol On top of that, crew relationships and the tone of the show is more at home in a soap opera, albeit one on a streaming service due to the swearing, which sometimes feels gratuitous. And just about everyone is either romantically involved or sleeping with someone. One relationship is human/AI and another is even a ménage ŕ trois. For good or bad, there's no nudity.

Most of the actors are just fine but Sackhoff's character, the very opposite of the stoic Capt Janeway, has cried every fucking episode.

And while I've paid attention to the science and physics, I can't always tell if something is made up or if it's something I have little knowledge of. One thing I do know is that when traveling at a high rate of speed, which the Slavare is capable of (FTL), time becomes relative. Years ago I learned that a person traveling at the speed of light for 10 minutes will not have aged but everyone else will have aged 40 years. The Salvare has been traveling FTL for 3 months. This aspect of the theory of relativity is ignored. Oh well.

Lot's of tropes, too.

So, yeah, this show's a train wreck. A wreck I can't help but watch.

-------------------------

Next up is Preacher, the AMC show based on the graphic novel and developed by Sam Catlin (writer/producer on Breaking Bad), Seth Rogen and his creative partner, Evan Goldberg.

I picked up the DVDs for seasons 3 & 4 at the library, yesterday, and can't wait to dive in. I've already seen season 3 but that was two years ago. I somehow missed the final season last year.

If you've never seen this show, look for the DVDs at your library. It's also streaming on Hulu, if you have that service. It was available on Prime for free but not any longer. And, no, it's not available on AMC for some reason. That I don't understand. It's like Mr Robot. Season 4 is available on USA's website, until Oct 4, but seasons 1-3 are on Prime. I know this has to do with contracts and whatnot but it seems to me that the network that first aired it should be able to air it for a while afterward.

The show is a little hard to get into at first but if you give it time, it's rewarding because it is the most bizarre, fucked up show you're likely to ever seen. Here's my synopsis, going from memory, starting with Wikipedia's premise:

"Jesse Custer is a hard-drinking, chain-smoking preacher who, enduring a crisis of faith, becomes infused with an extraordinary power. He embarks on a quest to better understand his new gift and literally find God, alongside his trigger-happy, [and bad ass] ex-girlfriend, Tulip [played by the luscious Ruth Negga], and new vampire friend, Cassidy." Jesse's power is due to being possessed by Genesis, an entity who is the result of the mating of an angel and a demon. Having Genesis enables him to force people to do whatever he wants them to do by simply telling them to do it. He is hunting God because God has abdicated his control over the universe, opting instead to dress up in a latex Dalmatian dog suit and ride around the US on a Harley with a hot, 20something year old woman. Jesse is also being hunted by the Adephi and the Seraph angels (I've forgotten the different between the two). He's also being hunted by The Saint of Killers, a cowboy from the 19th century with a heart of lead, who's been released from Hell to kill Jesse and obtain Genesis. Herr Starr, leader of The Grail and protector of The Messiah, an in-bred moron and last descendant of Jesus, is also hunting Jesse for various reasons.

It's all so convoluted. But like I said, this show is really fucked up... and awesome.

Sounds like I would need a lot of gratuitous nudity to get through either of those.

With a new phone, I apparently am eligible for a free year of Apple TV. Anyone try this streaming service? Any good content on it other than that Tom Hanks WWII movie?

Preacher is a great show though it is fairly graphic.
    Ian