Page 143 of 328 FirstFirst ... 4393133139140141142143144145146147153193243 ... LastLast
Results 3,551 to 3,575 of 8188

Thread: Current fav US TV series

Quote Originally Posted by moecurlythanu View Post
    That had to be quite a stretch for her.
    I know, right? Like I said, I haven't been a fan, but type-casting or not, she was nails in this.
    David
    Happy with what I have to be happy with.

I'm here for the moosic NogbadTheBad's Avatar
    She seems to be a pretty good actor these days. Big Little Lies was excellent.
    Ian

Host of the Post-Avant Jazzcore Happy Hour on progrock.com
    https://podcasts.progrock.com/post-a...re-happy-hour/

Gordon Haskell - "You've got to keep the groove in your head and play a load of bollocks instead"
    I blame Wynton, what was the question?
    There are only 10 types of people in the World, those who understand binary and those that don't.

Quote Originally Posted by proggy_jazzer View Post
    My wife and I just finished watching Little Fires Everywhere
    My wife watched that, and I had to be in the other room, behind closed doors, with headphones on and very loud music the entire time. I've never heard such insufferable screaming and yelling throughout the entire series. No way could I watch that. Incredibly annoying.
    Interviewer of reprobate ne'er-do-well musicians of the long-haired rock n' roll persuasion at: www.velvetthunder.co.uk and former scribe at Classic Rock Society. Only vaguely aware of anything other than music.

*** Join me in the Garden of Delights for 3 hours of tune-spinning... every Saturday at 5pm EST on Deep Nuggets radio! www.deepnuggets.com ***

Ian (or anyone here), do you watch Shetland? We finally got around to that one after years of putting it on the back burner due to insufficient time. I'm quite enjoying it, it's a unique setting for a crime/mystery-type show.

But seriously, what is it with British TV series and constantly saying "CCTV"? Try turning that into a drinking game, it's fun! But I don't take responsibility for your hangover the next day.
    Interviewer of reprobate ne'er-do-well musicians of the long-haired rock n' roll persuasion at: www.velvetthunder.co.uk and former scribe at Classic Rock Society. Only vaguely aware of anything other than music.

*** Join me in the Garden of Delights for 3 hours of tune-spinning... every Saturday at 5pm EST on Deep Nuggets radio! www.deepnuggets.com ***

Yeah, we've watched Shetland, very good series, we're suckers for British detective shows so have watched most of them. We're always on the look out for ones we haven't seen before. Just signed up for BritBox so there's loads to revisit.
    Ian

Gordon Haskell - "You've got to keep the groove in your head and play a load of bollocks instead"
    There are only 10 types of people in the World, those who understand binary and those that don't.

Quote Originally Posted by NogbadTheBad View Post
    Yeah, we've watched Shetland, very good series, we're suckers for British detective shows so have watched most of them. We're always on the look out for ones we haven't seen before. Just signed up for BritBox so there's loads to revisit.
    I'm tempted to sign up for BritBox (or at least the 30-day free trial), so I would be interested in your opinion of it. I remember from the 1980s a great Miss Marple series (in fact the only Miss Marple series that I have liked) which starred Joan Hickson as Miss Marple. I see it is on BritBox. The one that particularly stands out for me was "A Caribbean Mystery". Far from intense, but still very good and worth viewing.
    We walked arm in arm with madness, and every little breeze whispered of the secret love we had for our disease

Yeah I like BritBox a lot we're currently working through Morse, A Touch Of Frost & Dalziel & Pascoe. We first signed up to watch Vera and stayed.

There's also

Poirot
    Miss Marple
    Father Brown
    Midsomer Murder
    Death In Paradise
    Line Of Duty
    QI
    Sherlock Holmes
    Jonothan Creek
    Wallander
    Wycliffe
    Maigret
    MI5
    Red Dwarf
    Fawlty Towers
    Black Adder
    Dr Who

So I'm going ot be on it a lot.
    Ian

^^
    I would recommend "Strike" which has only a few episodes but is very British (and by J.K. Rowling).

Black Adder is the Tops of British humour!

We finished season #3 of Ozark last night. Really enjoyed it and think it was probably the best season of the 3. I am glad I did not know the ending ahead of time, and it looks like they set things up for a terrific season #4.

There's also

Poirot
    Miss Marple
    Father Brown
    Midsomer Murder
    Death In Paradise
    Line Of Duty
    QI
    Sherlock Holmes
    Jonothan Creek
    Wallander
    Wycliffe
    Maigret
    MI5
    Red Dwarf
    Fawlty Towers
    Black Adder
    Dr Who
    Of those, we watched Poirot, Father Brown, Sherlock Holmes, Wallander and Maigret. I have the complete DVD series of Red Dwarf, Black Adder and Fawlty Towers (among other Britcoms - still hunting for Brittas Empire which I loved back in the day). I'd also like to see The Thin Blue Line, which I only saw a couple of episodes of at the time.

Shows like Midsomer Murders and Dr. Who are quite huge in the number of episodes, and I wouldn't know where to jump in, other than just starting with Season 1, episode 1. I only ever watched Dr. Who when I was a kid with the family, and never really understood it or got into it much later in life, so it's a bit of a daunting prospect.

Shetland has quite a few episodes, and we're enjoying it, so for the time being we are all set for mystery shows.

We also started the new mini-series Quiz, the story of the people who cheated on Who Wants To Be A Millionaire. It's very good. Big, recognizable cast including Sian Clifford who I absolutely loved in Fleabag.

Quote Originally Posted by SteveSly View Post
    We finished season #3 of Ozark last night. Really enjoyed it and think it was probably the best season of the 3. I am glad I did not know the ending ahead of time, and it looks like they set things up for a terrific season #4.
    Yes, it was excellent! I've always liked Jason Bateman but it never occurred to me what a strong actor he is until this series.

Parrots Ripped My Flesh Dave (in MA)'s Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Progatron View Post
    My wife watched that, and I had to be in the other room, behind closed doors, with headphones on and very loud music the entire time. I've never heard such insufferable screaming and yelling throughout the entire series. No way could I watch that. Incredibly annoying.
    Sounds like just about every show that gets watched around here, not by me. :dgtest

I tell my wife that every movie she watches is someone having the worst day of their life. Then again, she's clinically depressed and someone having a worse day that she is, whether in horror or drama or true crime, is somehow uplifting to her.
    I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down.'- Bob Newhart

Quote Originally Posted by proggy_jazzer View Post
    My wife and I just finished watching Little Fires Everywhere on Hulu. AFAIK it's strictly a limited run (8 ep) direct adaptation of the novel, which is very refreshing; take eight hours to tell a story rather than try to compress it into a two-hour feature film. My wife had read the book and said the series is fairly true to it. I'm not a Reese Witherspoon fan, but she really nails the lead role of the wealthy suburban wife/mother, and Kerry Washington as her counterpart on the other side of the socio-economic spectrum is wonderful. Of particular note is the level of acting among those playing the children in the story; they are all excellent and the story really turns on their performances.
    Agree with MOST of what you wrote..However, Kerry Washington is awful in this role, her facial expressions were totally forced and very hard to watch, I preferred the actor that played the younger Mia.
    Dave Sr.

I prefer Nature to Human Nature

Quote Originally Posted by Dave (in MA) View Post
    Sounds like just about every show that gets watched around here, not by me. :dgtest
    Yeah, I'm fortunate that my wife likes a lot of great stuff too. But I have to endure a lot of shows from the other room, with studio audiences or groups of women cheering every eight seconds. It's just white noise after a while, drives me insane (again, headphones). It's all so... soulless, somehow, too. "Just make a loud WOOOOOO! noise when the red light goes on" type of thing. Doesn't have to be genuine enthusiasm, apparently.

If it's not something like that, it's that god-forsaken Survivor show, where Jeff Probst shouts at the top of his lungs while they do some 'challenge', and the tribes then spend an hour talking about trust and loyalty and backstabbing in teenaged melodramatic tones.

Lately she's been watching the Graham Norton show which I despise as well. Sorry, but people just aren't that hilarious every five seconds . It might be okay to watch, but to only hear it is extremely annoying.

Love Shetland. Also, check out Hinterland if you haven't seen it. Otherwise known as Y Gwyll--in Welsh. It's set in Wales.
    "And this is the chorus.....or perhaps it's a bridge...."

...we're suckers for British detective shows so have watched most of them.
    I've only seen a few and I have to say that even tho most were at least really good, I feel like Brit cop shows take a little too long to get interesting or they're too low key. I especially had a problem with Line of Duty, in this regard, even tho I still recommended it and sang its praises. Bodyguard, with Richard Madden and Keeley Hawes, was easier to get into but, strangely, also not quite as good. The worst was Top of the Lake. I didn't even finish the first season. The best Brit cop show I've seen is The Fall, with Gillian Anderson. I thought that was excellent.

I should probably point out I had the same problem with The Americans, which isn't even a British show.
    “From thirty feet away she looked like a lot of class. From ten feet away she looked like something made up to be seen from thirty feet away.” – Philip Marlowe

Quote Originally Posted by Hal... View Post
    The worst was Top of the Lake. I didn't even finish the first season.
    We really liked both seasons of Top Of The Lake. I don't remember now if I thought there were pacing issues, but it definitely was worth sticking with IMO!

I should probably point out I had the same problem with The Americans, which isn't even a British show.
    The Americans is a slow burn but the payoffs are tremendous.
    I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down.'- Bob Newhart

Don't let your meatloaf! Paulie's Avatar
    Both seasons of Top of the Lake were outstanding!

I loved The Fall as well.
    "That gum you like is going to come back in style."

Quote Originally Posted by Hal... View Post
    I've only seen a few and I have to say that even tho most were at least really good, I feel like Brit cop shows take a little too long to get interesting or they're too low key. I especially had a problem with Line of Duty, in this regard, even tho I still recommended it and sang its praises. Bodyguard, with Richard Madden and Keeley Hawes, was easier to get into but, strangely, also not quite as good. The worst was Top of the Lake. I didn't even finish the first season. The best Brit cop show I've seen is The Fall, with Gillian Anderson. I thought that was excellent.

I like all these shows.
    Ian

Caught a few episodes of this new show on Nat Geo - Drug Lords: The Next Generation.

It's all about "Invisibles", these high ranking or leaders of cartels that are unknown to them. One was so invisible they didn't even know his organization existed until they started busting their boats. The Otto Herrera one is cool as he explains it all. He got a light sentence as he never killed anyone and he cooperated fully.

There also was 10,000 kilos of coke "lost" in Africa when Don Lucho's org. was broken up. They "think" that Islamic rebels found and used it to fund their efforts but they don't really know.

Some fun stuff. The cartels are ingenious in their methods to traffic drugs.
    Carry On My Blood-Ejaculating Son - JKL2000

Quote Originally Posted by TheLoony View Post
    The cartels are ingenious in their methods to traffic drugs.
    They've even started using subs, semi-submersibles, and low profile boats to traffic drugs.
    “From thirty feet away she looked like a lot of class. From ten feet away she looked like something made up to be seen from thirty feet away.” – Philip Marlowe

Quote Originally Posted by TheLoony View Post
    Caught a few episodes of this new show on Nat Geo - Drug Lords: The Next Generation.

It's all about "Invisibles", these high ranking or leaders of cartels that are unknown to them. One was so invisible they didn't even know his organization existed until they started busting their boats. The Otto Herrera one is cool as he explains it all. He got a light sentence as he never killed anyone and he cooperated fully.

There also was 10,000 kilos of coke "lost" in Africa when Don Lucho's org. was broken up. They "think" that Islamic rebels found and used it to fund their efforts but they don't really know.

Some fun stuff. The cartels are ingenious in their methods to traffic drugs.
    I will have to check that one out.

the wife and I just started the Mindy Kaling produced Netflix show "Never, Have I Ever"

lots of pop-culture and stereotyping humor, but very modern and boundary pushing.

We are big fans of Black-ish and Mixed-ish so this seems to be right up our alley.

Gentefied, which is another new Netflix show, from a female minority actress now producer, America Ferrara, is 1 we are planning to check out as well.
    The only downside is that America seems to have left Superstore for this, which is sad.

Quote Originally Posted by wideopenears View Post
    Love Shetland. Also, check out Hinterland if you haven't seen it. Otherwise known as Y Gwyll--in Welsh. It's set in Wales.
    Also Broadchurch is good starring David Tennant.