Page 135 of 330 FirstFirst ... 3585125131132133134135136137138139145185235 ... LastLast
Results 3,351 to 3,375 of 8227

Thread: Current fav US TV series

Quote Originally Posted by Hal... View Post
    On the subject of The Marvelous Mrs Maisel, here's a brief piece of dialogue between Midge (the main character) and her sister-in-law Astrid, a former gentile.

Astrid: I just wish Rose [Midge's mother] liked me.
    Midge: She likes you very much. She loves you, Astrid.
    Astrid: I make her nervous.
    Midge: Breathing makes her nervous.
    Astrid: I thought that converting would help. I know that it's hard having an outsider in your family.
    Midge: You are not an outsider.
    Astrid: I heard comments at our wedding.
    Midge: No one commented.
    Astrid: "What's up with the shiksa Noah married?"
    Midge: Aunt Gertie, once.
    Astrid: I'm an outsider... and I'm barren.
    Midge: Astrid, you're young.
    Astrid: No, I'm not. I'm 30. We're seeing the fertility doctor again tomorrow. He's one of the pioneers in cervical cap inseminations.
    Midge: Well, everyone looks good in a cap.
    I'm a fan of MMM. Binged all three seasons as they came out. Very well acted, funny. Midge, tho, is the worst character.

Also, the woman who plays Astrid also plays Holly Gibney on the Mr Mercedes series (and she's great in the role).
    Currently attempting to catch up on all of the chaos in the Market Square.

WTF?

I just did a search on PE for variations of The Marvelous Mrs Maisel. There were three mentions of it; four, if you count someone quoting another person.
    My wife loved it. I didn't watch it, but I did like that actress a lot in House Of Cards.

We recently watched Sanditon, which we thought was excellent, and have just finished Howard's End, which was a nice four-episode mini-series that was at least as good as the movie. We've also been enjoying The Outsider, which is almost over. Letting The Sinner season 3 build up a bit on the DVR so we can binge it somewhat. Same with Better Call Saul. Lots of great stuff lately!
    Interviewer of reprobate ne'er-do-well musicians of the long-haired rock n' roll persuasion at: www.velvetthunder.co.uk and former scribe at Classic Rock Society. Only vaguely aware of anything other than music.

*** Join me in the Garden of Delights for 3 hours of tune-spinning... every Saturday at 5pm EST on Deep Nuggets radio! www.deepnuggets.com ***

WTF?

I just did a search on PE for variations of The Marvelous Mrs Maisel. There were three mentions of it; four, if you count someone quoting another person.

I just started watching this show and finished episode three (season 1) last night. This may very well be the best TV comedy I've ever seen. But then, I love Jewish humor, too.

FYI, for its first three seasons, it has won 47 awards... and counting: Emmys, Golden Globes, Screen Actors Guild, Critic's Choice, Producers Guild, Writers Guild, TV Critics Assoc, etc, and a Peabody!

So, again, WTF? Three mentions in this thread.

You people suck.
    I think MMM is a brilliant show.

The scene in the second season when they first get the to the summer house in the Catskills (all shot facing the house) is one great piece of writing, imo.

Quote Originally Posted by Moribund View Post
    I'm a fan of MMM. Binged all three seasons as they came out. Very well acted, funny. Midge, tho, is the worst character.
    Love MMM as well. I wouldn't call Midge the worst character, but she is surrounded in the main cast by a host of stellar characters and the acting thereof. As for the recurring characters, Luke Kirby absolutely nails Lenny Bruce, and Jane Lynch is her usual comic genius self, as just two small examples. It's the strongest cast from front to back I can remember in a long time.
    David
    Happy with what I have to be happy with.

Quote Originally Posted by SteveSly View Post
    Ahh.......I did not realize they were technically split into two different series since there has been some crossover. I also forgot there were 3 seasons of the Columbian show. Anyway.......season 2 of Mexico is on my list to watch soon.
    Better than the original Narcos series, and this season was better than the debut.
    "Corn Flakes pissed in. You ranted. Mission accomplished. Thread closed."

-Cozy 3:16-

Quote Originally Posted by Yves View Post
    Better than the original Narcos series, and this season was better than the debut.
    Cool!

Wow, the Outsider finale was pretty disappointing.

Starting The Sinner season 3 tonight, and also going to check out Vienna Blood.
    Interviewer of reprobate ne'er-do-well musicians of the long-haired rock n' roll persuasion at: www.velvetthunder.co.uk and former scribe at Classic Rock Society. Only vaguely aware of anything other than music.

*** Join me in the Garden of Delights for 3 hours of tune-spinning... every Saturday at 5pm EST on Deep Nuggets radio! www.deepnuggets.com ***

Anyone seen the recent Netflix film on ZZ Top? I have never been a huge fan of the band (saw them once years ago), but as with all Banger Films production I found this one to be very interesting and a fun watch.

Quote Originally Posted by Progatron View Post
    Wow, the Outsider finale was pretty disappointing.
    No kidding! Really a let down. The line at the end of the show: "What else is out there?" Well, I guess we'll see. Looks like there might be a second season with a different baddie.

Quote Originally Posted by Guitarplyrjvb View Post
    No kidding! Really a let down. The line at the end of the show: "What else is out there?" Well, I guess we'll see. Looks like there might be a second season with a different baddie.
    Ummm.....there were some pretty clear indications about who that different baddie might be. Did you catch the easter egg after a few credits rolled?
    "And this is the chorus.....or perhaps it's a bridge...."

No!?

I'm here for the moosic NogbadTheBad's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by wideopenears View Post
    Ummm.....there were some pretty clear indications about who that different baddie might be. Did you catch the easter egg after a few credits rolled?
    I hate when they do that, I know to expect it with Marvel movies but on TV shows? I missed it at the end of Stranger Things and only heard it was there on internet chatter and went back to rewatch the credits.
    Ian

Host of the Post-Avant Jazzcore Happy Hour on progrock.com
    https://podcasts.progrock.com/post-a...re-happy-hour/

Gordon Haskell - "You've got to keep the groove in your head and play a load of bollocks instead"
    I blame Wynton, what was the question?
    There are only 10 types of people in the World, those who understand binary and those that don't.

Well, I won't spoil the reveal....everyone can go back and watch it now, I guess. I woulda missed it, but dropped my remote because I spilled my drink all over my coffee table so the credits kept rolling.......
    "And this is the chorus.....or perhaps it's a bridge...."

Anyone watching Project Blue Book? I'm no UFOlogist but I do know a fair bit of info in this field and this show has nothing to do with what PBB actually was and did. It's fun idiocy but damn playing with those who don't know Hynek's story and the "actual" history of PBB is kinda wrong.

I'll still watch it as I've come this far along but man it's got almost no bearing on what that whole story really was. Plus, it's got the hot chick that played Benedict Arnold's wife in Washington's Spies so what the hell.
    Carry On My Blood-Ejaculating Son - JKL2000

Just signed up for Britbox as we are likely to be without sports for a while. I've now got access to Morse, Vera, Ripping Yarns, QI, Red Dwarf, MI5 and all sorts of goodies.
    Ian

Gordon Haskell - "You've got to keep the groove in your head and play a load of bollocks instead"
    There are only 10 types of people in the World, those who understand binary and those that don't.

Quote Originally Posted by NogbadTheBad View Post
    Just signed up for Britbox as we are likely to be without sports for a while. I've now got access to Morse, Vera, Ripping Yarns, QI, Red Dwarf, MI5 and all sorts of goodies.
    Ripping Yarns is an absolute classic. I love Red Dwarf too. Ever see Brittas Empire with Chris Barrie? I loved it, although it wasn't a smash hit. Vera is good, but for that style I really liked Broadchurch.

Have a soft spot for Vera as me & the wife lived in Newcastle for a long time and we see lots of places we know.
    Ian

With everything else going on I completely forgot that "Westworld Season 3" starts tonight.

Hell yeah
    Ian

DVRed Westworld but if they don't offer some decent coherent stories this season I'm done. Last season was a giant mess.
    I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down.'- Bob Newhart

Quote Originally Posted by Jerjo View Post
    DVRed Westworld but if they don't offer some decent coherent stories this season I'm done. Last season was a giant mess.
    Also, DVR'd and have not had the chance to watch yet. I am hoping that the addition of Aaron Paul to the cast should be cool.

Just watched the first episode of Virgin River on Netflix. It's got a slight bit of the old show Northern Exposure to it, but no humor. Everyone looks like a model. I think it has potential.
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    A gentleman is defined as someone who knows how to play the accordion, and doesn't.

I finished season three of Mrs Maisel. I knew as soon as Midge started that routine that Shy Baldwin/Johnny Mathis wasn't going to be happy. Sometimes she has real trouble reading the situation. Loved the Abe/Rose/Moishe/Shirley story line and the way they wrapped it up.
    I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down.'- Bob Newhart

Quote Originally Posted by Jerjo View Post
    I finished season three of Mrs Maisel. I knew as soon as Midge started that routine that Shy Baldwin/Johnny Mathis wasn't going to be happy. Sometimes she has real trouble reading the situation. Loved the Abe/Rose/Moishe/Shirley story line and the way they wrapped it up.
    Season 3 has been somewhat of a disappointment. I got stuck with two episodes left. I did not enjoy the Weissmans living with the Maisels. I also didn't enjoy the whole bit with Midge and Lenny Bruce on that TV show.

BTW, I noticed pretty early on in season 1 that there were some anachronisms with regard to dialogue, specifically sayings/idioms/euphemisms/etc. I tried to ignore it but it's only gotten worse as the show has gone on. It bugs me, now, especially when they've used some that have entered the vernacular only in the last 20 or so years.

I also noticed that there was some historical event that happened (I can't remember what, now) that was mentioned in the show. I looked it up. The show is taking place prior to that event. That's pretty bad.

I was surprised, tho, that they got Miss America in 1959 right. It was Mary Ann Mobley. I remember her from the TV show Match Game.

Out of curiosity, I just checked the ratings on Amazon.

For season 1, 93% of the ratings were 5 stars.

For season 2, 75% were 5 stars.

Season 3: 57%.

Someone in a previous post thought Midge was the worst character on the show. I don't understand that. I find the Maisels annoying. I think the introduction of Sophie Lennon is needless. And while I really liked her character at first, I now find Susie one of my least favorite characters. Which is too bad. I love Alex Borstein. Along with Nicole Sullivan, she was the funniest actor/actress on MadTV. And she's awesome as Lois Griffin on Family Guy.

But Midge and her parents are the best.
    “From thirty feet away she looked like a lot of class. From ten feet away she looked like something made up to be seen from thirty feet away.” – Philip Marlowe

First episode of Westworld was decent. Some very good acting.