Page 123 of 330 FirstFirst ... 2373113119120121122123124125126127133173223 ... LastLast
Results 3,051 to 3,075 of 8227

Thread: Current fav US TV series

Finished Mindhunter season 2.

Excellent show!
    no tunes, no dynamics, no nosebone

I finished episode 7 of Mindhunter today. So far I've been enjoying it in spite of its flaws. The problem is I read Robert Ressler's book Whoever Fights Monsters just before I started the show.

Ressler was an agent recruited very early into the BSU of the FBI. According to his book, he was the one who got the idea to interview serial killers, iirc. He's also credited with coining the term "serial killer" as well as bringing ViCAP to the FBI (it was actually the brainchild of L.A. detective, Pierce Brooks). Ressler's protege was John Douglas (Ressler is 8 years older) who has claimed he was the inspiration for Jack Crawford in Silence of the Lambs. Ressler disputes that and says Thomas Harris does, as well. As to who did what, exactly, in the BSU, it's hard to tell. Ressler indicates profiling was already in existence when he joined the BSU. From other things I've read, it was Douglas' idea. What really complicates things are that Ressler & Douglas worked closely together at the BSU and did the interviews of the serial killers together. They even co-wrote their first book together, along with researcher Ann Burgess (Sexual Homicide: Patterns and Motives).

Anyway, back to the issue of Ressler's book. Having read it just before starting season 2 of Mindhunter was a mistake, not that I knew S2 was starting. Consequently, there have been more than a few eye roll moments. I get they want to dramatize shit, and I'm trying not to be nitpicky, but it's hard.

As to who's who, I assume Ressler is the Bill Tench character and Douglas the Holden Ford character (Ann Burgess is definitely the Wendy Carr character1).

But to give just the most egregious examples... [spoilers ahead]

~ The scene at the end of season 1 when Holden is trapped by Edmund Kemper at the hospital. A similar thing actually happened to Ressler when they were alone in a cell together. It's actually a funny story (Kemper told Ressler he was just fucking with him). Consequently, Ressler made it policy that no one would ever interview a criminal alone. But the situation did not incite panic attacks in Ressler.

~ The scene when the Tenches are having the barbecue for their neighbors. A couple of guys start picking Tench's brain about what he does and he tells them he interviewed Richard Speck. One of the guys says, "so what'd he kill, seven, eight nurses?" Tench says, "nine." OMG. That's just blatantly stupid since anyone can easily read up on Speck's murders (Ressler talks about him in his book). There were nine women in the house but only eight were killed. How hard would it have been to have the guy say, "seven" and Tench answers, "eight"?

As I said, I've been enjoying the show. I just think there's room for improvement.
    “From thirty feet away she looked like a lot of class. From ten feet away she looked like something made up to be seen from thirty feet away.” – Philip Marlowe

I read Ressler's book awhile ago also, and Mindhunter takes some liberties, but the police procedures are pretty accurate.
    no tunes, no dynamics, no nosebone

Anyone catch The Righteous Gemstones on HBO? I laughed hard enough a couple times to almost choke.
    I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down.'- Bob Newhart

I just discovered that the Prime Video app is now available for the PS3 and I assume the PS4. Did anyone else know about this?

Thank God because I used to watch Prime through my TiVo and I don't know what the problem is but the lag is horrible and the controls suck.
    “From thirty feet away she looked like a lot of class. From ten feet away she looked like something made up to be seen from thirty feet away.” – Philip Marlowe

I just got a message on my Panasonic Viera TV saying that the Amazon Prime App will no longer be supported after September 26th. Anyone know what's going on here?
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    A gentleman is defined as someone who knows how to play the accordion, and doesn't.

Quote Originally Posted by BobM View Post
    I just got a message on my Panasonic Viera TV saying that the Amazon Prime App will no longer be supported after September 26th. Anyone know what's going on here?
    You're not the only one. From what I just found, older models of Sony TVs are getting the same message. As to who's at fault, I don't know but according to this article from 5 years ago (so this is not a new problem), Manufacturers abandon support for tech products too quickly, it seems like it's either the manufacturer or the streaming service, depending on who you ask (Panasonic vs Samsung).

As for my situation, from what I found Prime has been available for the PS3 since 2012. Which is weird because I've never seen it mentioned or advertised on my PS3 while Netflix was.

What pisses me off - I feel a rant coming on but I'll spare you all and suppress it - is what seems to be a lack of standardization among all the various manufacturers, be it phones, TVs, PCs, etc. And so many of the problems stem from "updates". Why is it that support for two models of whatever device, separated by only a few years, is suddenly dropped for the older one? Aren't they using the same firmware for all their models? And why all the updates??? It reminds me of PC games where the software publishers use the latest technological advances to improve their games which makes the consumer feel they need to buy a new PC every 2-3 years. That's why I gave up on PC games and bought a console.

Quote Originally Posted by nosebone View Post
    Finished Mindhunter season 2.

Excellent show!
    Man I am loving this season! Just finished the Manson episode...great stuff!
    "Who would have thought a whale would be so heavy?" - Moe Sizlak

Does anyone else find it annoying that when you finish a movie/show on Netflix that the end credits are cut off?

Quote Originally Posted by Hal... View Post
    Does anyone else find it annoying that when you finish a movie/show on Netflix that the end credits are cut off?
    YUP!!
    "My choice early in life was either to be a piano player in a whorehouse or a politician, and to tell the truth, there's hardly any difference"

President Harry S. Truman

That drives me insane. I'm always racing to the remote to try and beat the 5 seconds it gives you and either wind up knocking something over or pushing a button that fucks everything up

Quote Originally Posted by Klonk View Post
    That drives me insane. I'm always racing to the remote to try and beat the 5 seconds it gives you and either wind up knocking something over or pushing a button that fucks everything up
    That's happened to me, too.

But I'm laughing more at the fact that you posted the same, identical thing in the movie thread.

That's happened to me, too.

But I'm laughing more at the fact that you posted the same, identical thing in the movie thread.
    I cut and pasted it

If you like Patricia Arquette ("Escape From Dannemora" & more), and I really do, check out Hulu's mini-series The Gift.

To say that her character is creepy is like saying that Hitler was just eccentric.
    "My choice early in life was either to be a piano player in a whorehouse or a politician, and to tell the truth, there's hardly any difference"

President Harry S. Truman

Patricia Arquette was a goddess. I don't know if she still is.

Regarding Netflix cutting off the end credits, I was looking to see if there was a setting for this. There isn't. But online I came across numerous people who also hate it.

I'm bringing it up here and in the movie thread thinking that if enough people bring it to their attention, maybe Netflix will add an option similar to the setting for Auto-Play.

It seems to me a lot of companies (Netflix, Amazon, Sony, TiVo, Samsung, Apple, auto makers, etc) have these attitudes toward software/firmware/electronics/etc of "give the masses limited functionality" and "don't fix it if it ain't broke." The problem is they don't think through their decisions (or have limited foresight) during the design stage and end up inconveniencing and/or pissing a lot of people off.

I don't know. Maybe it's wishful thinking on my part to think they care. It's possible they don't even know or haven't thought about it, but if no one makes them aware of the issue they'll never know.

I've already contacted them and I urge everyone else to contact them too.

Quote Originally Posted by moecurlythanu View Post
    Patricia Arquette was a goddess. I don't know if she still is.
    Depends on if you like your women rotund.

Man. Just finished The Keepers. Heavy stuff.

Parrots Ripped My Flesh Dave (in MA)'s Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by BobM View Post
    Sometimes I've seen messages like that, but it just meant that the version that I had was getting dropped, and I just had to update. Could that be the case here?

Netflix usually gives you an option at the end of a show to continue watching credits or not... Not every show seems to have it though...

Speaking of Netflix, I started a new science-fiction series yesterday called "Another Life". The pilot was good so I hope the series will prove to be consistent. It's about an alien artifact landing on Earth and being used as some sort of communication device. While a team tries to communicate with it on Earth, a ship is sent out to follow the communications and attempt to make first contact. The reviews are mixed, but I'll give it a few episodes...
    "Corn Flakes pissed in. You ranted. Mission accomplished. Thread closed."

-Cozy 3:16-

Has anyone seen Forever? We are only a couple of episodes in, but it's quite a unique and intriguing show. Maya Rudolph and Fred Armisen are the stars, but it's perhaps slightly tilted more towards drama than comedy (though that's a part of it). Hoping it stays solid!

Also making our way through Top Of The Lake: China Girl, which is excellent, as was the first series (I brought it up a while back here). I love murder mysteries, and this one is well written and acted. And if you thought Nicole Kidman was brave for her change of appearance in The Hours, you should see her in this!

When we finish those up, I think we'll move on to Gentleman Jack.
    Interviewer of reprobate ne'er-do-well musicians of the long-haired rock n' roll persuasion at: www.velvetthunder.co.uk and former scribe at Classic Rock Society. Only vaguely aware of anything other than music.

*** Join me in the Garden of Delights for 3 hours of tune-spinning... every Saturday at 5pm EST on Deep Nuggets radio! www.deepnuggets.com ***

Finished the first two seasons of Dark. Waiting for the third!
    "And this is the chorus.....or perhaps it's a bridge...."

Quote Originally Posted by Progatron View Post
    Thanks for this, I've just added the first two [Nova episodes] to the DVR list to record (last three aren't listed yet). Looking forward to them!
    What did you think of them?

I found the first three episodes, "Inner Worlds", "Mars", and "Jupiter", really interesting. I thought "Jupiter" was especially interesting and the images were stunning! I was little disappointed with "Saturn" and "Ice Worlds" left me wanting; I'm not sure I learned anything new. Still, overall I really enjoyed the shows.

I thought they were really well done. I agree that it wasn't a massive learning experience, but that's okay - I'm always happy to revisit such fascinating subject matter!
    Interviewer of reprobate ne'er-do-well musicians of the long-haired rock n' roll persuasion at: www.velvetthunder.co.uk and former scribe at Classic Rock Society. Only vaguely aware of anything other than music.

*** Join me in the Garden of Delights for 3 hours of tune-spinning... every Saturday at 5pm EST on Deep Nuggets radio! www.deepnuggets.com ***

On Becoming A God in Central Florida--series on Showtime about a pyramid scheme similar to Amway or other such selling schemes. Kirsten Dunst plays one of the main leads that is skeptical about the rich-making product line of FAM, whereas her husband is totally sold on it. Saw the first two episodes and enjoy it.

This is the last season of Homicide Hunter which airs on Wed on the ID TV channel. I've enjoy these which takes place in Colorado Springs, CO.