Page 115 of 329 FirstFirst ... 1565105111112113114115116117118119125165215 ... LastLast
Results 2,851 to 2,875 of 8222

Thread: Current fav US TV series

Quote Originally Posted by progeezer View Post
    Just finished Dead To Me. I predicted part but not all of how it would resolve. I don't want to use the word "end" since Netflix, cast & producers are still deciding whether to continue the story with a season 2. I really hope they do. This show was damned impressive!
    I got tired of investing in a program in its initial season, only to get cancelled and not return to complete the story. Now, I wait until there's a few good seasons under their belt before I dive in.

Quote Originally Posted by Hal... View Post
    It's good to see The Good Wife made the list and that the following were honorable mentions, so to speak: Justified, Southland, and GoT. The one show they mistakenly left out was Rubicon. That show was brilliant.
    I'm with you. I loved Rubicon.

Quote Originally Posted by TheLoony View Post
    Then again, language censorship seems to be lacking, in some respects, to what can be said on tv these days. Just watched the latest episode of Brockmire on IFC and there were at least three fucks in the show. Not that I care but it's kinda shocking to hear it on tv.
    The FCC has ruled that there are different standards for broadcast and cable networks. The first time I heard "fuck" on TV was when TCM aired The Taking of Pelham One Two Three. I also remember way back in the late '80s there was some court ruling that allowed partial nudity (i.e. topless women) on TV after midnight. Can't remember the details but I'm sure it was for cable networks, not broadcast. Now, why it seems they stopped showing boobies, I don't know, but it's a damn shame.

Quote Originally Posted by Gruno View Post
    I got tired of investing in a program in its initial season, only to get cancelled and not return to complete the story. Now, I wait until there's a few good seasons under their belt before I dive in.
    One of the brilliant things they did with Dead to Me is that if they never had another season, it would still make a great mini-series, because it didn't really end on a cliff hanger. It's more like a starting point if it gets renewed.

Quote Originally Posted by mnprogger View Post
    I'm with you. I loved Rubicon.
    I actually contacted AMC when I found out that it had been cancelled and they said it had to do with ratings. But they were still as good or better than some other shows that came out on AMC at around the same time. For their first seasons, Breaking Bad had an average rating (in millions of viewers) of 1.27, Mad Men had 1.3, and Rubicon had 1.26. One of the other problems was AMC got into some sort of squabble with the show's creator who left. The show's focus switched after that.

I think AMC didn't have any faith in it. I also think the ratings weren't what AMC hoped because the show was too smart for most people. lol
    “From thirty feet away she looked like a lot of class. From ten feet away she looked like something made up to be seen from thirty feet away.” – Philip Marlowe

"One of the brilliant things they did with Dead to Me is that if they never had another season, it would still make a great mini-series, because it didn't really end on a cliff hanger. It's more like a starting point if it gets renewed".

^^^Hal is spot on here! Either way it's a brilliant winner! I would love to see where it goes if they decide to continue it.

On another note, I have officially added one new show biz person to my personal list of geniuses. Phoebe Waller-Bridge, who created, produced, wrote, and also directed early episodes of Killing Eve, also is one of the funniest comic actors I have ever seen. I don't have Amazon Prime, so it will be a while until I can watch season 2 of Fleabag, which is starting in a few days, but after watching season 1, which was shown unedited, on IFC, I don't think there's anything this woman can't do. Along with the previously mentioned Brockmire, another IFC show, Fleabag made me laugh out loud more than anything else on TV.
    "My choice early in life was either to be a piano player in a whorehouse or a politician, and to tell the truth, there's hardly any difference"

President Harry S. Truman

West World Season 3 Teaser (coming in 2020, with Aaron Paul aka Jesse from Breaking Bad)

I actually contacted AMC when I found out that it had been cancelled and they said it had to do with ratings. But they were still as good or better than some other shows that came out on AMC at around the same time. For their first seasons, Breaking Bad had an average rating (in millions of viewers) of 1.27, Mad Men had 1.3, and Rubicon had 1.26. One of the other problems was AMC got into some sort of squabble with the show's creator who left. The show's focus switched after that.

I think AMC didn't have any faith in it. I also think the ratings weren't what AMC hoped because the show was too smart for most people. lol
    really?

My take was, when it 1st aired it got a lot of hype per it premiered right after the Breaking Bad season finale. And I watched it, but wasn't grabbed by it. But I DVR'ed all the episodes and eventually binged it leading up to the Season/Series finale and got totally won over.

And if I recall, they promoted and premiered The Walking Dead 1st season right around that time, and I was given the impression the AMC people went with The Walking Dead instead of Rubicon.

And mind you around that time, AMC was on a roll with Mad Men, Breaking Bad and then what I figured also with Rubicon and then TWD. Eventually The Killing which I watched the pilot episode but never went back to.

AMC was almost like the USA Network in that a lot of the stuff they made I enjoyed (although I never got into Mad Men), as I even watched the 1st season of TWD.

That being said, I heard or read some thing about the network not liking Rubicon enough to renew it. Like you said, it was maybe a little too smart for the audience. I wonder if it came out today, it might fair better. Maybe on Netflix or 1 of the other streaming services.

if you might be curious, a couple of film critics have a podcast called "Canceled Too Soon" and they did an episode about Rubicon
    https://canceledtoosoon.libsyn.com/ep-28-rubicon-2010
    Last edited by mnprogger; 05-20-2019 at 07:34 AM.

Finished season 1 of Hanna last night. Found it to be an enjoyable and interesting story, with very fine acting performances. Plenty of open questions for season 2; I'm definitely in.
    David
    Happy with what I have to be happy with.

Alright, so I binged season 2 of Killing Eve today. I enjoyed the first season but was on the fence about continuing. I wouldn't say I like it as much as Geezer - it's a little too leisurely paced - but I will say that it got very interesting about halfway through this season. Which is nothing new for me. There have been a few shows I was about to bail on when it finally hit its stride during the second season (e.g. The Good Wife, Person of Interest, et al).

My question for you, Geeze, is do you think Eve & Villanelle will begin a romantic relationship in the season finale? If so, I am definitely onboard!

Quote Originally Posted by mnprogger View Post
    really?
    Maybe I should have said AMC lost faith in Rubicon?

That being said, I heard or read some thing about the network not liking Rubicon enough to renew it. Like you said, it was maybe a little too smart for the audience. I wonder if it came out today, it might fair better. Maybe on Netflix or 1 of the other streaming services.
    I thought the same thing.

Eventually The Killing which I watched the pilot episode but never went back to.
    The Killing was a good show but was not without its problems. I felt it moved too slow, with regard to how long it took to solve a crime: 2 seasons! The next season they managed to solve a crime in 1 season but since they wrapped things up in the final episode it felt rushed.
    “From thirty feet away she looked like a lot of class. From ten feet away she looked like something made up to be seen from thirty feet away.” – Philip Marlowe

Hal - It seems inevitable the way the story arc has been written. Since season 3 has already been announced as happening, it may not happen until then, but the finale may (or may not?) provide (more) foreplay.
    "My choice early in life was either to be a piano player in a whorehouse or a politician, and to tell the truth, there's hardly any difference"

I was disappointed in Season 2 of Westworld - there were only a couple of standout episodes. But damn, that trailer looks good. Delores, what have you gotten yourself into?
    I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down.'- Bob Newhart

I'm here for the moosic NogbadTheBad's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Jerjo View Post
    I was disappointed in Season 2 of Westworld - there were only a couple of standout episodes. But damn, that trailer looks good. Delores, what have you gotten yourself into?
    I loved Season 2 but man was the timeline confusing.
    Ian

Host of the Post-Avant Jazzcore Happy Hour on progrock.com
    https://podcasts.progrock.com/post-a...re-happy-hour/

Gordon Haskell - "You've got to keep the groove in your head and play a load of bollocks instead"
    I blame Wynton, what was the question?
    There are only 10 types of people in the World, those who understand binary and those that don't.

Subterranean Tapir Hobo Chang Ba's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by NogbadTheBad View Post
    I loved Season 2 but man was the timeline confusing.
    Yeah. Season two of westworld is probably my favorite season of any show ever.
    Please don't ask questions, just use google.

Never let good music get in the way of making a profit.

I'm only here to reglaze my bathtub.

Quote Originally Posted by progeezer View Post
    Hal - It seems inevitable the way the story arc has been written. Since season 3 has already been announced as happening, it may not happen until then, but the finale may (or may not?) provide (more) foreplay.
    How noncommittal of you. lol

BTW, I forgot to mention a couple of things. The first is my favorite line in the show, so far, was when Villanelle showed up dressed in black at Eve's place to murder her and Eve asked, "can I take your veil?" That really tickled my funny bone.

The second was Eve's behavior at Gemma's house, specifically in her bedroom when she broke the ballerina in the jewelry box. I was even saying to myself just before that, "don't do it, Eve, don't be petty." But then when she messed up all her bras I laughed and thought, "she's got some Villanelle in her."

I can't wait to see how the finale plays out. Of course, there's going to be serious complications from Villanelle having murdered Gemma.

How noncommittal of you. lol

BTW, I forgot to mention a couple of things. The first is my favorite line in the show, so far, was when Villanelle showed up dressed in black at Eve's place to murder her and Eve asked, "can I take your veil?" That really tickled my funny bone.

The second was Eve's behavior at Gemma's house, specifically in her bedroom when she broke the ballerina in the jewelry box. I was even saying to myself just before that, "don't do it, Eve, don't be petty." But then when she messed up all her bras I laughed and thought, "she's got some Villanelle in her."

I can't wait to see how the finale plays out. Of course, there's going to be serious complications from Villanelle having murdered Gemma.
    Yeah, the whole "WTF is Niko going to do next?" as a result of Gemma's demise is almost as compelling as the Eve/Villy thing.

Don't let your meatloaf! Paulie's Avatar
    Smell ya later.
    "That gum you like is going to come back in style."

Geezer,

WTF?

I didn't see that coming.

Geezer,

WTF?

I didn't see that coming.
    I didn't either, but too much emotional investment between the 2 for any finality, since season 3 is already filming soon.

Don't let your meatloaf! Paulie's Avatar
    Yes! Very unexpected!
    "That gum you like is going to come back in style."

Quote Originally Posted by headcrash View Post
    Another thumbs-up for "Dead To Me". Linda Cardellini is just a terrific actor; I've loved her in everything from Freaks & Geeks to Mad Men to (especially) Bloodline.
    I just binged this show over the last 5 days.

it's sort of Breaking Bad meets Now and Again in some ways.

I would think they'll renew it, but even if they don't, the primary Story does get some level of resolution.

Applegate is almost over the top in her performance. If they go to a S2, I could see an intervention or her going to Anger Management.
    Last edited by mnprogger; 05-30-2019 at 05:07 PM.

Catching up on the first season of Big Little Lies. Good show with some added bonuses in the form of nudity from an actress I thought would never do that.
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    A gentleman is defined as someone who knows how to play the accordion, and doesn't.

Quote Originally Posted by BobM View Post
    Catching up on the first season of Big Little Lies. Good show with some added bonuses in the form of nudity from an actress I thought would never do that.
    Great show, and the second season starts in a week or so. Which actress? I'm only remembering Nicole Kidman nude in that, and she's done that many times!
    Interviewer of reprobate ne'er-do-well musicians of the long-haired rock n' roll persuasion at: www.velvetthunder.co.uk and former scribe at Classic Rock Society. Only vaguely aware of anything other than music.

*** Join me in the Garden of Delights for 3 hours of tune-spinning... every Saturday at 5pm EST on Deep Nuggets radio! www.deepnuggets.com ***

Quote Originally Posted by Progatron View Post
    Which actress?
    Yeah, inquiring minds want to know.

Nicole has done nude before.
    Ian

Gordon Haskell - "You've got to keep the groove in your head and play a load of bollocks instead"
    There are only 10 types of people in the World, those who understand binary and those that don't.

Quote Originally Posted by NogbadTheBad View Post
    Nicole has done nude before.
    Yep, in Eyes Wide Shut which, coincidentally, I just skimmed the other day.

Episode 1 of Good Omens was very good.
    Ian

I'm that weird guy that doesn't find Nicole Kidman attractive at all.
    Music isn't about chops, or even about talent - it's about sound and the way that sound communicates to people. Mike Keneally