Page 112 of 329 FirstFirst ... 1262102108109110111112113114115116122162212 ... LastLast
Results 2,776 to 2,800 of 8225

Thread: Current fav US TV series

Quote Originally Posted by Yves View Post

Any documentary fans here? The series "Losers" on Netflix has been very good. It's a misnomer as the people whose stories are being told are anything but. I have only 1 episode left and I have thoroughly enjoyed every one, even when the description had me going meh....
    I love good docs, so will have to check this out.

I'm here for the moosic NogbadTheBad's Avatar
    Nightflyers is turning out to be a decent series. Too bad it did not go beyond 1 season...

Any documentary fans here? The series "Losers" on Netflix has been very good. It's a misnomer as the people whose stories are being told are anything but. I have only 1 episode left and I have thoroughly enjoyed every one, even when the description had me going meh....
    The Formula 1 documentary is excellent, I'll check out Losers.
    Ian

Host of the Post-Avant Jazzcore Happy Hour on progrock.com
    https://podcasts.progrock.com/post-a...re-happy-hour/

Gordon Haskell - "You've got to keep the groove in your head and play a load of bollocks instead"
    I blame Wynton, what was the question?
    There are only 10 types of people in the World, those who understand binary and those that don't.

Bosch s.5 dropped today. Good show.

I'm here for the moosic NogbadTheBad's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Rick L. View Post
    Just started season 2, great show.
    Ian

Host of the Post-Avant Jazzcore Happy Hour on progrock.com
    https://podcasts.progrock.com/post-a...re-happy-hour/

Gordon Haskell - "You've got to keep the groove in your head and play a load of bollocks instead"
    I blame Wynton, what was the question?
    There are only 10 types of people in the World, those who understand binary and those that don't.

Anyone else been watching Les Miserables on PBS Masterpiece? Really well done. Lily Collins (yes, Phil's daughter) has been excellent in her role.
    Interviewer of reprobate ne'er-do-well musicians of the long-haired rock n' roll persuasion at: www.velvetthunder.co.uk and former scribe at Classic Rock Society. Only vaguely aware of anything other than music.

*** Join me in the Garden of Delights for 3 hours of tune-spinning... every Saturday at 5pm EST on Deep Nuggets radio! www.deepnuggets.com ***

Quote Originally Posted by Rick L. View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by NogbadTheBad View Post
    Just started season 2, great show.
    I didn't know that they were up to five seasons. I'm way behind. Agreed that it's a great show.
    Music isn't about chops, or even about talent - it's about sound and the way that sound communicates to people. Mike Keneally

Do HBO series count?
    Barry is fantastic. Just watched S2E5 , I think its was 5 , anyway this is a great series. Never what you expect , populated by off beat nuanced charactors. Has to do with a hitman, Chechen mafia , attempted redemption. Its Bill Haden's comedy d/drama. Really very good , not all for laughs , even so this last episode had me spitting out my water before I could swallow. If you haven't seen , watch from season 1.

We morphed from the original thread title a long time ago. This is now "The TV Thread".. Just no GOT spoilers, please...
    "Corn Flakes pissed in. You ranted. Mission accomplished. Thread closed."

-Cozy 3:16-

Quote Originally Posted by nycsteve View Post
    Do HBO series count?
    Barry is fantastic. Just watched S2E5 , I think its was 5 , anyway this is a great series. Never what you expect , populated by off beat nuanced charactors. Has to do with a hitman, Chechen mafia , attempted redemption. Its Bill Haden's comedy d/drama. Really very good , not all for laughs , even so this last episode had me spitting out my water before I could swallow. If you haven't seen , watch from season 1.
    Yes, Barry is an excellent show, been watching it since the first episode. Hader's character is probably the most straight on the show actually, with most everyone else playing for laughs. And yes, the episode from last Sunday ("she's like a feral mongoose or something...") was really outrageously funny.
    Interviewer of reprobate ne'er-do-well musicians of the long-haired rock n' roll persuasion at: www.velvetthunder.co.uk and former scribe at Classic Rock Society. Only vaguely aware of anything other than music.

*** Join me in the Garden of Delights for 3 hours of tune-spinning... every Saturday at 5pm EST on Deep Nuggets radio! www.deepnuggets.com ***

Speaking of GOT, once it begins could we please keep it out of this thread? I don't have HBO and will not see it until it is released on BluRay. I know it will be virtually impossible to not come across any spoilers, but I am hoping to do so.
    You won't need to worry about me. I finally pulled the trigger and started season 1 yesterday; finished it earlier today. I saw the ending of the last episode coming a mile away but it was still very satisfying.

Anyway, consider me a convert.

Regarding documentaries, I recently watched two and both were really good.

The first was The War. A Ken Burns/Lynn Novick series about WWII that originally aired on PBS. It was on my Netflix list for a long time but I didn't get around to it until a few weeks ago. Well worth the time.

The other was on Amazon Prime called Song of the South: Duane Allman and the Rise of the Allman Brothers Band. There were no interviews with anyone from the band or even any of Duane's contemporaries but I thought it was still really good... if a touch hyperbolic at times.

Out of curiosity, I started one called Blood, Frets and Tears, which is about guitar gods. I bailed on it not even a third of the way through. It was on Prime too.
    “From thirty feet away she looked like a lot of class. From ten feet away she looked like something made up to be seen from thirty feet away.” – Philip Marlowe

^ There are a lot on Prime for the big 70s Prog-Rock bands too. I haven't watched any yet, so I can't speak to quality, but I put 'em on my watch list.

I've been watching the Fosse Verdon series w/Sam Rockwell & Michelle Williams on FX for one reason only.

Gwen Verdon was a friend of my mother's when I was a very young child. They met one day while shopping at Bloomingdale's and just clicked. This was when GV was on stage in "Damn Yankees", and I remember both her visiting us at our home in Queens and also taking my mom & I to lunch a few times in Manhattan.

At 8 or 9 I worshiped her. She was a famous big star who always brought little Stevie gifts whenever I saw her.

Michelle Williams is eerily good, and man did they ever get the fiery red hair and make-up right. I'm now in my 70s learning for the first time how tough her offstage life was with Fosse. My mother obviously knew about it (they would have long phone talks as well), but you don't tell a little kid that.

This show is both revelatory and sad for me to watch, but I feel pretty compelled. When my mom passed in 1968, a few years after they stopped communicating regularly, Gwen still somehow found out and sent flowers.

My favorite TV series, hell no. Watching Michelle Williams (who I love) playing my "Auntie Gwen" brings back a whole lot of far gone memories though.
    "My choice early in life was either to be a piano player in a whorehouse or a politician, and to tell the truth, there's hardly any difference"

President Harry S. Truman

Wow. Thanks for sharing, Geez.

Very interesting, Geez.
    Music isn't about chops, or even about talent - it's about sound and the way that sound communicates to people. Mike Keneally

My girlfriend suggested we try Outlander since all the girls in her office were talking about it. I was expecting a total Harlequin Romance thing but , 5 episodes in, it's pretty good. The main actress is easy on the eyes too... Looks like there are many seasons to catch up on...

Finished Nightflyers and I am really not sure why it was panned. I found it to be a nice slice of dark science-fiction that was never dummied down for the audience (maybe that was the problem?). I love a story where the alien race is only alluded to but never encountered. I was glad the season wrapped up the storyline. I am guessing that had they gone to a second season they probably would have stepped beyond Martin's novella and fleshed out the world created in the first season.

Good story, Geezer.

I don't think I'd ever heard of her but looking over her career on IMDb, I see she was in Cocoon and the Woody Allen movie Alice. She was also in a bunch of TV shows over the years, including recurring roles in Magnum PI and Webster. I guess that's why I'd never heard of her; the only thing I've seen her in was Cocoon.
    “From thirty feet away she looked like a lot of class. From ten feet away she looked like something made up to be seen from thirty feet away.” – Philip Marlowe

Thanks for sharing, Geez. I enjoyed that.

My girlfriend suggested we try Outlander since all the girls in her office were talking about it. I was expecting a total Harlequin Romance thing but , 5 episodes in, it's pretty good. The main actress is easy on the eyes too... Looks like there are many seasons to catch up on...
    First season from Outlander is very good. And although I had my doubts during watching season 3 that I would go for season 4 when released on DVD, I might continue watching it.
    My wife quite watching halfway season 2 though: too many clans to remember who's who.

Quote Originally Posted by interbellum View Post
    First season from Outlander is very good. And although I had my doubts during watching season 3 that I would go for season 4 when released on DVD, I might continue watching it.
    My wife quite watching halfway season 2 though: too many clans to remember who's who.
    Yeah, I am already a little confused in the pecking order. The succession does not appear to be in a straight line.

Alright, so I'm about halfway through season seven of Game of Thrones and I have to say, if I had to watch this show each week and then wait 42 weeks for a new season, I might have given up on it. That said, it's possibly the greatest show worthy of bingeing I've ever seen.

There are numerous things this show does really well. One is how they leave the viewer unsure of whether a character is a protagonist or an antagonist. Varys & Baelish immediately pop to mind on that front, altho Baelish is clearly the more slippery and ambiguous.

Another thing they do well is get you to empathize with a character you wouldn't, ordinarily. For example, I loved it when that bitch Cersei got arrested by the High Sparrow after she got Margaery and Loras arrested; instant karma! But then when she was forced to atone for her sins, I couldn't help but root for her when she got revenge on the High Sparrow, probably because while I can't stand her I hate the religious fanatics.

Another thing they do really well is ending an episode on a high note that only prompts you to watch the next immediately, especially when the final scene involves Daenerys Targaryen. This, however, I'd find frustrating if I had to wait a week to see the next episode and absolutely tortuous if waiting for the next season.

My only real disappointment, so far, is how they dealt with Ramsay Bolton. He deserved much worse. How they handled King Joffrey, however, was extremely satisfying.

And while I wouldn't say this show is predictable, exactly, I usually see big reveals coming a mile away. I think because the show is written well.

Incidentally, casting Sean Bean as Ned Stark only made Ned's future very predictable.

Fave characters:
    Daenerys - Love her.
    Arya Stark - Same. Altho, at this point, I'm starting to lose patience with her subplot.
    Tyrion Lannister - How could you not like him?

As well as...
    Brienne of Tarth
    Bronn
    Jaime Lannister (against my better judgement)
    Jorah Mormont (Daenerys' advisor)
    Sam Tarly
    Varys

Oddly, I don't find any of the Starks particularly likable or compelling, save for Arya. And that includes Jon Snow. I do find Sansa sympathetic, however.

Don't let your meatloaf! Paulie's Avatar
    Season 6 was my fave by a mile. And I thought Ramsey's demise was extremely satisfying and fitting.

Favorite characters for me are

Sir Davos
    The Hound
    Arya
    Lady Mormont
    Yara Greyjoy
    "That gum you like is going to come back in style."

Quote Originally Posted by Paulie View Post
    Season 6 was my fave by a mile. And I thought Ramsey's demise was extremely satisfying and fitting.

Favorite characters for me are

Sir Davos
    Easily my favorite

I forgot to comment about Talisa Maegyr, the woman Robb Stark ended up marrying. She was played by Oona Chaplin, who I found out is the daughter of Geraldine Chaplin and the granddaughter of Charlie Chaplin.

Don't let your meatloaf! Paulie's Avatar
    And if you didn't already know: Olenna Tyrell aka Emma Peel aka Diana Rigg
    "That gum you like is going to come back in style."

Yeah, I recognized the face but couldn't put a name to it until I saw the end credits; I knew immediately who she was, then. Still blows my mind that that's Emma Peel. I had quite a crush on her as a kid. Not so much, now. lol