Page 105 of 330 FirstFirst ... 55595101102103104105106107108109115155205 ... LastLast
Results 2,601 to 2,625 of 8227

Thread: Current fav US TV series

So....you're not a fan?
    Music isn't about chops, or even about talent - it's about sound and the way that sound communicates to people. Mike Keneally

Banned
    Whatever gave you that idea?

Subterranean Tapir Hobo Chang Ba's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Paulie View Post
    Not sure how this all works on commercial TV as it's raunchy as hell. Creator/producer/writer/director/star Andrea Savage is pretty hot to boot
    Watched the first three episodes last night...I'm hooked. My two main issues at this point...I feel the lead overacts occasionally (I imagine in an effort to be funny) and some of the dialogue is a little too modern for my old ears.

But yeah...how this is on commercial TV is pretty mystifying. If you didn't tell me, I would have guessed HBO or Netflix original.
    Please don't ask questions, just use google.

Never let good music get in the way of making a profit.

I'm only here to reglaze my bathtub.

Saw an episode of a show called Workin' Moms on Netflix. A comedy created by Ivan Reitman's daughter, Catherine, she also stars in, directs, and writes it. Funny show.

Quote Originally Posted by Paulie View Post
    I'm Sorry - Originally aired on TruTV, now running uncut on Netflix. Fkn hilarious.
    Saw the first 90 seconds of it and immediately put it on my list. Very funny.
    “From thirty feet away she looked like a lot of class. From ten feet away she looked like something made up to be seen from thirty feet away.” – Philip Marlowe

That's a Canadian show... The CBC has a few funny shows going these days. Not sure if it's on Netflix USA but check out Schitts Creek. It stars Eugene Levy and Catherine O'Hara , Chris Elliot, along with Eugene's son David. His daughter (name escapes me) also has a lesser role on the show. Very subtle humour, Canadian-style.
    "Corn Flakes pissed in. You ranted. Mission accomplished. Thread closed."

-Cozy 3:16-

Quote Originally Posted by Yves View Post
    That's a Canadian show... The CBC has a few funny shows going these days. Not sure if it's on Netflix USA but check out Schitts Creek. It stars Eugene Levy and Catherine O'Hara , Chris Elliot, along with Eugene's son David. His daughter (name escapes me) also has a lesser role on the show. Very subtle humour, Canadian-style.
    Yeah, Schitt's Creek is on Netflix but I had no interest in it because of Chris Elliot; can't stand him. Altho, I love Catherine O'Hara. I always thought she was the funniest one on SCTV, which I could take or leave (I couldn't stand the McKenzie bros).

I don't know if I don't get Canadian humor or just don't like it but if it's from up north, I generally have no interest in it. OTOH, I liked This Hour is 22 Minutes and, oddly, I really liked You Can't Do That on Television (altho that was probably because I had a crush on Christine for awhile). My favorite show was The Kids in the Hall. They had so many great sketches and characters. Dave Foley as the French-Canadian hooker was hilarious as was Kevin McKinney's Chicken Lady. Never really liked Bruce McColloch, altho his Gavin character was pretty funny and I liked when he & McKinney played the cops who never did anything.

So, go figure.
    “From thirty feet away she looked like a lot of class. From ten feet away she looked like something made up to be seen from thirty feet away.” – Philip Marlowe

Elliot plays an annoying character named Roland Schitt. He's the mayor. He plays him well though. O'Hara carries the show imo. Levy plays the straight man like he used to in SCTV. His son, who is openly gay, doesn't even seem like he's acting.

Canadian humour tends to be very dry and off-beat. Aimed at smaller audiences, Canadian shows (the good ones) tend to have an anything goes attitude. Many deal with truly Canadian situations so there is often a feeling of an on-going inside joke that probably does not go over in the USA. I am always surprised to find that some of these shows have garnered cult followings in the USA.

I used to love Chris Elliott's Get a Life. Unfortunately it was on a new network (Fox?) at the time, which probably didn't help it. Another great series called Nowhere Man met the same fate, around the same time. Iirc.

Anyone watch The Kids Are Alright? I mentioned this show around the time it premiered. I'm still watching it because, aside from being funny, it takes place in 1972 so it's also a little nostalgic for me.

Watched another episode of Whiskey Cavalier. I'll give it one more episode but I have a feeling it'll be dropped from my auto-record list.

Elliot plays an annoying character named Roland Schitt.
    That settles it. lol

Parrots Ripped My Flesh Dave (in MA)'s Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by moecurlythanu View Post
    I used to love Chris Elliott's Get a Life.
    I remember seeing someone on Usenet comment that the guy who played the father was too old.

Watched the HBO Michael Jackson doc over the last few days. Very disturbing. I have not had the chance to watch the Oprah after show yet.

STARZ has what looks to be an interesting show debuting Sunday night called Now Apocalypse.

My first thought after watching the trailer was, "did the ghost of Hunter Thompson create this series?".
    "My choice early in life was either to be a piano player in a whorehouse or a politician, and to tell the truth, there's hardly any difference"

President Harry S. Truman

Formula 1: Drive to Survive. A 10 episode documentary (~ ½ hour/episode), on Netflix. If you like/have an interest in auto racing, especially F1, this is a must see doc that covers the 2018 season and includes tons of behind the scenes footage and comments from drivers, family members, and team principles. Truly excellent. My only gripe: the volume of the sound FX and a sound mix that sometimes obscures dialogue.

Quote Originally Posted by Hal... View Post
    Formula 1: Drive to Survive. A 10 episode documentary (~ ½ hour/episode), on Netflix. If you like/have an interest in auto racing, especially F1, this is a must see doc that covers the 2018 season and includes tons of behind the scenes footage and comments from drivers, family members, and team principles. Truly excellent. My only gripe: the volume of the sound FX and a sound mix that sometimes obscures dialogue.
    This one is next on my Netflix list as soon as I finish Narcos.

Quote Originally Posted by SteveSly View Post
    This one is next on my Netflix list as soon as I finish Narcos.
    My original post was after only seeing 3 or 4 episodes. The show got better once I got to see the uglier side of the sport (e.g. the disagreement between Red Bull and Renault); I thought those parts were humorous.

I don't know if you follow the sport but the new season starts next week (Mar 17 in Australia) so you may want to finish the show before then. Or not.

Member since March 2004 mozo-pg's Avatar
    Shameless continues to make a statement. William Macey continues his classic role, never tire of it. Great emsemble acting and interesting stories.

Quote Originally Posted by Hal... View Post
    My original post was after only seeing 3 or 4 episodes. The show got better once I got to see the uglier side of the sport (e.g. the disagreement between Red Bull and Renault); I thought those parts were humorous.

I don't know if you follow the sport but the new season starts next week (Mar 17 in Australia) so you may want to finish the show before then. Or not.
    I have been an auto racing fan for years, but mostly U.S. stuff. I would say I am a casual follower of F-1, but I think I will really enjoy this.

Highly Evolved Orangutan JKL2000's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by NogbadTheBad View Post
    Just finished watching the 3 part show The ABC Murders with John Malkovich in the role of Hercule Poirot. Very good stuff.
    Will be checking this out with the wife tonight - thanks for the heads up!

EDIT: We’re on the second episode - damn, it’s dark! I always thought of Agatha Christies as cozy mysteries. It’s good, just dark.
    Last edited by JKL2000; 03-10-2019 at 09:09 PM.

For Archer fans, new episodes are set to start airing next month. Also, if you wondered wtf is going to happen in season 10 after that ending of season 9 (it reminded me of the movie Alien), check this out:

Archer, voiced by H. Jon Benjamin, will play the co-captain of the USS Figgis. Alongside him is his co-captain and ex-wife Lana Kane (played by Aisha Tyler); the two just went through a “nasty divorce,” so fans can expect more of their trademark heated (and hilarious) bickering.

Lana is the co-captain and that causes a lot of tension between her and Archer because she owns half the ship,” exec producer Casey Willis said. Mallory (Jessica Walter) will be the ship’s artificial intelligence and a “possible being of pure energy”; Cheryl (Judy Greer) is a hotshot fighter pilot, but she’s not happy about it. “She hates it. So she’s always bored with doing what she’s really good at,” Willis said.

Ray (voiced by series creator Adam Reed) is the “loneliest courtesan” in the galaxy, while Pam Poovey (Amber Nash) is a “brutish alienoid.” Finally, the former Dr. Krieger is now a synthetic android."

I have a feeling this is going to be one of the better seasons.

But will Krieger still be a Rush fan?

And where is Cyril?
    Last edited by Jerjo; 03-12-2019 at 11:50 AM.
    I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down.'- Bob Newhart

Three episodes in, imo NBC's The Enemy Within, w/Jennifer Carpenter & Morris Chestnut is the best new NETWORK show of the season. I'll repeat what I said after one episode, that this is much grittier than usual network fare, and you can catch up "on demand" if interested.
    "My choice early in life was either to be a piano player in a whorehouse or a politician, and to tell the truth, there's hardly any difference"

President Harry S. Truman

Quote Originally Posted by Jerjo View Post
    But will Krieger still be a Rush fan?
    I don't see why not. I should have mentioned that the new season will be called Archer: 1999.

And where is Cyril?
    Yeah, he wasn't mentioned in that blurb, was he? He has to be in the show, tho, because Chris Parnell was part of the cast at the NY ComicCon talking about the new season. Also, the ship is named USS Figgis, which is Cyril's last name.

I love the fact that Mallory will be the ship's AI named "Mother", a direct reference to Alien.

I gave up on Archer. The last season just...wasn't...funny....

Been watching Russian Doll lately. Better than I hoped it would be. The main character annoys me but she's an acquired taste I guess. I like the way they're establishing a link between the various characters as the episodes move on.

I'm here for the moosic NogbadTheBad's Avatar
    American Gods is back. Weeeeeee!
    Ian

Host of the Post-Avant Jazzcore Happy Hour on progrock.com
    https://podcasts.progrock.com/post-a...re-happy-hour/

Gordon Haskell - "You've got to keep the groove in your head and play a load of bollocks instead"
    I blame Wynton, what was the question?
    There are only 10 types of people in the World, those who understand binary and those that don't.

I gave up on Archer. The last season just...wasn't...funny....
    Yeah, the show got its lowest ratings last season (64% on RottenTomatoes). I think what made the show so good in previous seasons was the antagonistic relationship between Archer & Lana. But as the show's evolved there's been a few changes, some for the better, some for the worse. Lana & Cyril becoming involved was a bad move. Cheryl/Carol getting a larger role was a good move but making her a C&W singer was not. Introducing Barry, Archer's nemesis, I didn't think was a good move but then turning him into a cyborg was seriously bad. I have enjoyed Pam becoming more of a central character, tho.

I have a feeling this coming season will be much better, especially if the Archer/Lana stuff is restored. I hope, anyway. Also, "phrasing" is making a comeback, so that's good news.

Been watching Russian Doll lately. Better than I hoped it would be.
    I enjoyed it, too, but not as much as I thought I would.

I'm working my way thru Workin' Moms. I really like this show.