Thread: Kickstarter is certainly a learning curve!

Kickstarter is certainly a learning curve!

Am doing a Kickstarter for Alice Fredenham who was on Britains Got Talent 2 years ago. She had 22,000,000 YouTube views and is a lovely girl. The panel loved her bigtime but then she got all sorts of complete nonsense written about her in the press saying she was a "plant" etc and "fake" etc before the semi finals. I know this was rubbish as she was my part time admin assistant till about 3 months before the show. i didnt even know she was going on. Have done well $21,000 approx in 12 days (lots of American support, which is lovely) but you do learn a thing or too.

There are some strange fans out there who get really obsessive!!! and then feel the need to keep sending emails and once you are engaged with them, cripes it never stops!!

The other thing is you onstantly have to be "at it" . For artists who go down these routes, its definitely not for the faint hearted, people get upset and withdraw pledges if you arent in their "liking" every post etc.

Phew--to all artists doing these routes, if you get your funding then unless its good luck or you are a huge name , its hard going!!!

She isnt Prog, but she is pretty lovely and she sang "My Funny Valentine"

here is her performance and campaign

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects...w-studio-album

Quote Originally Posted by Esoteric View Post
    There are some strange fans out there who get really obsessive!!!
    Oh, I can write a book on that one, let me tell you! I have letters, photos, emails, gifts, etc., from obsessive fans directed towards the artists I have worked with. Some were so obsessive we had to alert the authorities. I know of one guy going through the trash dumpster of a studio. Two particular females were banned from ever attending concerts by this one band I have worked with. I would meet with venue security & staff at each show to distribute photos all known info on these ladies with word to not let them into the venue; refund their ticket purchase if need be.

Quote Originally Posted by Esoteric View Post
    Phew--to all artists doing these routes, if you get your funding then unless its good luck or you are a huge name , its hard going!!!
    Actually, I think it should be a bit of work. I'd want them to have to put some creative effort into a campaign. They may not have the creative minds to do such a thing, but they can hire on someone who can implement ideas and promotions. Hopefully, the end result shows that they didn't take for granted the generosity of their fans. I've seen some recent funding where the 'artist' received a huge amount over their goal… but they have yet to deliver anything but the basic package. This one claimed to provide extra product if the goal was surpassed, yet there is no set date for any of that to even begin to be worked on.

Good luck with the campaign!

Actually, I think it should be a bit of work. I'd want them to have to put some creative effort into a campaign. They may not have the creative minds to do such a thing, but they can hire on someone who can implement ideas and promotions. Hopefully, the end result shows that they didn't take for granted the generosity of their fans. I've seen some recent funding where the 'artist' received a huge amount over their goal… but they have yet to deliver anything but the basic package. This one claimed to provide extra product if the goal was surpassed, yet there is no set date for any of that to even begin to be worked on.

Good luck with the campaign![/QUOTE]

I agree with you on that and thats why I think over fiddly offers should be avoided. Ive left off anything to do with dates/T shirts etc , I do think some artists massively understimate the time and effort involved. First to get it to a funded stage but secondly--the follow through!!! I know Alice said she wouldnt consider it without someone else being involved.