Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: The Fringe (NDV, Reingold, McStine)

The Fringe (NDV, Reingold, McStine)

The Fringe is a new Rock trio consisting of Nick D'Virgilio (Big Big Train, Spock's Beard), Jonas Reingold (Karmakanic, The Flower Kings), and Randy McStine (Lo-Fi Resistance). This is a real band. "Real" being defined as musicians playing and recording in a room together, as opposed to the (e)mailed-in approaches to making records that many of us have become accustomed to.

We're working on music to roll out down the road, but we'll be posting videos from our NJ Proghouse sponsored show back in November. This was a house concert in Bridgewater, NJ with about 30 people packed into the living room and kitchen! Here are the first two.

Love what I'm hearing here!

See you in Gettysburg, Randy!

Cheers,

A Lo-Fi crowd funding member
    "My choice early in life was either to be a piano player in a whorehouse or a politician, and to tell the truth, there's hardly any difference"

President Harry S. Truman

Quote Originally Posted by progeezer View Post
    Love what I'm hearing here!

See you in Gettysburg, Randy!

Cheers,

A Lo-Fi crowd funding member
    Thanks man!

Re-reading my post, I don't want to come off snobby with the "real band" comment. A lot of us make records in home studios now as a necessity, along with artistic reasons for others. I wanted to stress that it's a band, because it has now become typical for name musicians (I don't include myself in that category) to sort of throw together projects without much human interaction. I think the music buyer has also become aware of this, as it's not an automatic selling point anymore to see your favorite musician playing on someone else's record.

Old man of prog
    Looking forward to this album

No keyboards? Not interested.

Randy, how about if songs are written mostly alone via-email/upload/demoing and then a band gets together in a room to work it out (possibly writing more parts) and record the drums, and then the band records stuff on their own to completion and then gets together in a room to play the newest arrangement rehearsing for live performances?

Quote Originally Posted by gilawi View Post
    No keyboards? Not interested.
    There's always a chance of a synth pad or some Moog Taurus pedals making it. Keep the faith!

Quote Originally Posted by 3RDegree_Robert View Post
    Randy, how about if songs are written mostly alone via-email/upload/demoing and then a band gets together in a room to work it out (possibly writing more parts) and record the drums, and then the band records stuff on their own to completion and then gets together in a room to play the newest arrangement rehearsing for live performances?
    Well...yeah of course!

Quote Originally Posted by Lo-Fi Resistance View Post
    There's always a chance of a synth pad or some Moog Taurus pedals making it. Keep the faith!
    If they're that close-minded to music, might be good to let them pass on by...

Quote Originally Posted by Gruno View Post
    We must please everyone. It's the only way to make good music...

Old man of prog
    WTF?

I for one am very excited. Bring it on.

Can't wait.

We must please everyone. It's the only way to make good music...
    Hmmm, I would think you'd want to please your own musical adventure and hope that others come along for the ride.

Hmmm, I would think you'd want to please your own musical adventure and hope that others come along for the ride.
    I'm just pulling your leg man.

I'm just pulling your leg man.
    Hah! After I read it a few times I wasn't sure… and knowing NDV's way of writing, I was thinking 'WTF'?

Hé, that THE BLUE DOG hanging there!!

Now you got me: love that book

Quote Originally Posted by progmeister View Post
    WTF?

I for one am very excited. Bring it on.

Can't wait.
    Not close minded; just my preference in prog music. What I heard in was ordinary...nothing new to my ears (IMHO). Secondly, can you list any of the greats in Prog music that do not use keyboards? In my many years hearing Prog (I'm 60 and began with prog at 16) still have not heard a group consisting of just drums, guitar and bass to be of my liking, with one exception (Steve Unruh). But again, is just my opinion, as valid as yours.

Hah! After I read it a few times I wasn't sure… and knowing NDV's way of writing, I was thinking 'WTF'?
    We do have a Swedish guy in the band, so hopefully he can write us some hits!

Here's NDV's message about the new ROCK band:

It has been going around a little bit now but I also want to share the start of this great new band that I have the pleasure of being in. THE FRINGE is a killer new rock trio with myself, Randy McStine, and Jonas Reingold.

It started when I was asked to go to Poland to play at a drum festival. I asked if I could bring someone to play along with rather then just jam by myself. Both Jonas and Randy are two of my absolute favorite musicians on earth and lucky for me they were available and said yes! That started what I hope to be a long and fruitful musical relationship.

The music we are writing together is really great and I am sooooooo excited about what is going to come out this year. It will start with an EP that should be released before summertime. We start mixing at Sweetwater Studio's with Mark Hornsby behind the wheel next week. That EP will include a few originals and maybe a couple older tracks done in our trio fashion. After that we will be finishing up a full record that we hope to have out before the end of the year. We have already spent some great days in the studio for the full record and will be back at again in May for more.

Randy and Jonas are two of the most inspiring musicians I have ever played with. This trio rocks! Keep you eyes and ears open. There is some killer music comin!
    Go to The Fringe page and join in.

NDV

https://www.facebook.com/thefringetrio
    Sounds like it won't be much of a prog outfit as he states, "THE FRINGE is a killer new rock trio"

Not close minded; just my preference in prog music. What I heard in was ordinary...nothing new to my ears (IMHO). Secondly, can you list any of the greats in Prog music that do not use keyboards? In my many years hearing Prog (I'm 60 and began with prog at 16) still have not heard a group consisting of just drums, guitar and bass to be of my liking, with one exception (Steve Unruh). But again, is just my opinion, as valid as yours.
    Who said we were a Prog band?!

Looks like I was late, haha.

Thank god...

I saw this trio at Orion and they are an excellent prog band. Super players, excellent vocals. Great Stuff. Looking forward to all future endeavors. Good luck to you Randy.

Thank god...
    He gave rock and roll to us. Satan gave us Prog, with the aid of The Monkees.

I was at Orion too. If you were there and you didn't think that was prog, proggy or proggish...I dunno what to tell you....fantastic show and swimming in progginess. Better? Label it if you feel you must....how about great fucking music? That better? Next....we will categorize water.....by color.

This sounds really great. I'm excited to hear more!