Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: The Fringe (NDV, Reingold, McStine)

Lots more please!
    The older I get, the better I was.

Quote Originally Posted by Lo-Fi Resistance View Post
    The Fringe is a new Rock trio consisting of Nick D'Virgilio (Big Big Train, Spock's Beard), Jonas Reingold (Karmakanic, The Flower Kings), and Randy McStine (Lo-Fi Resistance). This is a real band. "Real" being defined as musicians playing and recording in a room together, as opposed to the (e)mailed-in approaches to making records that many of us have become accustomed to.

We're working on music to roll out down the road, but we'll be posting videos from our NJ Proghouse sponsored show back in November. This was a house concert in Bridgewater, NJ with about 30 people packed into the living room and kitchen! Here are the first two.

How did I miss this?

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Staun View Post
    Lots more please!

Somewhat difficult to tell from the clips because it was DRUMS with guitar and bass hardly audible. However, good bona fides so I look forward to an album.
    Mongrel dog soils actor's feet

Quote Originally Posted by ytserush View Post
    How did I miss this?
    You have to join the NJ Proghouse mailing list or like them on Facebook and add them to your interest lists. That's what you have to do these days to keep on top of things. BTW, I was there.

Randy, that solo on Hold The Line - wow. Love how in the music you are.

Jonas is everywhere!

Check out his other new trio "Barracuda Triangle". Great proggy stuff.

Looking forward to more from The Fringe this year...and be sure to advertise your shows so we all know about them!

Quote Originally Posted by Splicer View Post
    Somewhat difficult to tell from the clips because it was DRUMS with guitar and bass hardly audible. However, good bona fides so I look forward to an album.
    Although it's just one mic from the camera (being smashed with compression), I can hear my guitar (for better or worse) pretty loud and clear. I agree that the bass could've been louder. The only thing through the PA were the vocals.

Quote Originally Posted by arabicadabra View Post
    Randy, that solo on Hold The Line - wow. Love how in the music you are.
    Thanks! Nick and Jonas are a special rhythm section to have supporting any situation.

On a side note, I spend most of my time performing with my eyes closed, which I think is a bit of a bad habit.

Quote Originally Posted by ScottAM View Post
    Jonas is everywhere!

Check out his other new trio "Barracuda Triangle". Great proggy stuff.

Looking forward to more from The Fringe this year...and be sure to advertise your shows so we all know about them!
    We'll be putting an EP out in the spring containing recordings from our first session together in January 2014. Heading into the summer, the focus will be on a full record for release later in the year. There isn't an official site for the band yet, but a Facebook page is up and running at www.facebook.com/thefringetrio to keep up to date.

WeatherWiseCDC
    Although it's just one mic from the camera (being smashed with compression), I can hear my guitar (for better or worse) pretty loud and clear. I agree that the bass could've been louder. The only thing through the PA were the vocals.
    On that note, if you guys are recording an album, make sure you don't compress it, make sure you preserve the dynamics of the music, and don't give in to the loudness wars. Your audience likes high-quality sound: aim for quality recordings, mix carefully, and pick the right mastering engineer (if you're releasing a CD). Rock always sounds better uncompressed.

Good luck and have fun, Randy! We'll all be looking forward to your next work.

Quote Originally Posted by WeatherWiseCDC View Post
    On that note, if you guys are recording an album, make sure you don't compress it, make sure you preserve the dynamics of the music, and don't give in to the loudness wars. Your audience likes high-quality sound: aim for quality recordings, mix carefully, and pick the right mastering engineer (if you're releasing a CD). Rock always sounds better uncompressed.

Or…

You guys have fun and release it the way you would like your music to be heard. We have faith that you will deliver a quality product!

I'm pushing for something that has sonic similarities to Rush-Vapor Trails, Metallica-Death Magnetic, the DRT Gentle Giant remasters, and...Black Sabbath-Born Again.

WeatherWiseCDC
    I'm pushing for something that has sonic similarities to Rush-Vapor Trails, Metallica-Death Magnetic, the DRT Gentle Giant remasters, and...Black Sabbath-Born Again.
    Ah, I see. One thing I need to mention -- critics panned Vapor Trails' sonics to the extent that Rush needed to remix and remaster the album; they released it again in 2013 as Vapor Trails Remixed, and although it's improved, it's still overly compressed. The second reason for the remix and remaster is because the band felt unhappy about how the album sounded the first time around.

http://forums.stevehoffman.tv/thread...5#post-9550206

Quote Originally Posted by mdeckoning
    I find this new remix a very difficult listen. I kept turning down the volume all of the time.
    Quote Originally Posted by Billy Budapest
    The remix still is heavily compressed, but does not have all the clipping that the original mix has. Regardless of the compression, the new remix makes Vapor Trails finally sound like a Rush album!
    Death Magnetic has also received a lot of complaints among mainstream observers:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Death_M...ing_production

The album has been criticized for having compromised sound quality, due to an overly compressed dynamic range, during a process called peak limiting leading to audible distortion.[71] Sean Michaels of The Guardian explains that "the sound issues are a result of the 'loudness war' – an ongoing industry effort to make recordings as loud as possible".[72] A Rolling Stone article states that Rubin was "overseeing mixes in Los Angeles while the band is in Europe, headlining shows" and only communicated with him by conference calls.[73] Fans have noted that these sonic problems are not present in the Guitar Hero version of the album, where the tracks are presented separately because of the game mechanics and the tracks were sent to the game publishers before the process was made.[74][75] MusicRadar and Rolling Stone attribute a quote to the album's mastering engineer Ted Jensen in which he claims that "mixes were already brick-walled before they arrived" for mastering[76][77] and cite a petition from fans to remix or remaster the album.

Metallica and Rubin initially declined to comment on the issue, while the band's co-manager Cliff Burnstein stated that complainers were in a minority and that response to the album had otherwise been "overwhelmingly positive".[78] Ulrich later confirmed in an interview with Blender, that some creative control regarding the album's production had indeed been transferred to Rubin but also stressed his satisfaction with the final product.[79][80]
    the Universal Japan SHM-SACD version of Gentle Giant's Octopus is the best digital version of that album. The recent Deluxe edition of Black Sabbath's Born Again is supposedly the best version; the master tapes were lost, so it could have sounded even better.

Most of the albums we all grew up listening to are uncompressed (and, for most, a minimalistic remaster of most of the original tapes would give us the best-sounding discs of those albums ever). Whatever your vision is, go for it! Don't feel an obligation to sacrifice sound quality in the name of loudness or density, though. Even heavy rock sounds good with better dynamics (when you can hear the guitar, bass and drums). We're excited to hear you guys, so as an enthusiastic listener I'm just concerned that you might walk into the trap that so many rock bands in recent times have in terms of sonic quality. If it's intentional, so be it; just make sure it isn't an accident.

http://productionadvice.co.uk/green-day-more-dynamics/

Best of luck!
    Last edited by WeatherWiseCDC; 02-04-2015 at 03:18 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by WeatherWiseCDC View Post
    Ah, I see. One thing I need to mention -- critics panned Vapor Trails...

Death Magnetic has also received a lot of complaints among mainstream observers

Dry humor is a tough sell on a message board.

Back to the videos. Here's one of Jonas' Karmakanic tunes.

Quote Originally Posted by 3RDegree_Robert View Post
    You have to join the NJ Proghouse mailing list or like them on Facebook and add them to your interest lists. That's what you have to do these days to keep on top of things. BTW, I was there.
    I've been on the list since the beginning, which doesn't excuse me from missing the notice. They had an incredible fall lineup, some of which I was able to make.

The Fringe had the only track that caught my ears on the Greg Lake issue of Prog mag.

Nice and crunchy, I will definitely buy the disc!

Quote Originally Posted by Finch Platte View Post
    The Fringe had the only track that caught my ears on the Greg Lake issue of Prog mag.

Nice and crunchy, I will definitely buy the disc!
    Do it! This was one of my Top 10 albums for 2016, hands down.

Quote Originally Posted by Craigory View Post
    Do it! This was one of my Top 10 albums for 2016, hands down.
    I had to give it a few listens for it to really catch on with me, but agree it is very good. I enjoyed seeing them live in Chicago too.

Proggy people not being proggy. I continue to consider this as I continue to love this album.
    The older I get, the better I was.

Picked up their CD at RosFest last year. Good stuff.

Fringe disk is killer - like others said, not prog (but proggy-ish) but clearly appealing to a prog audience.

McStine's new disk is also not proggy (at all), but again very high quality (based on one listening...to take with a grain or two of salt)