Thread: Cartridge upgrade

Cartridge upgrade

Using a PR1 with OM3 Ortofon.
    The sound is great through the rega phono stage into the aux on my MF A3 into Monitor Audio RS8's.
    I would now like to upgrade the cartridge and fancy the Ortofon Red 2.
    Comments anyone?
    Are there other good cartridges to consider?

I currently use the Ortofon 2M Bronze on a Pro-ject turntable and I'm satisfied. "Clear" and "sweet" with accurate timbre and depth. Much more dynamic than the 2M Red. With excellent performance over headphones as well. I think that it favours non-audiophile records better than audiophile ones (my previous cartridge was a Clear Audio one) and it's close to the experience one gets with a moving coil cartridge.

Disadvantage: Not that good on the lower bass details, so I'm somewhat disappointed while playing my doom metal vinyls (hopefully most of that stuff I own, its on CD). Upper bass, sounds greatly vivid though.
    Macht das ohr auf!

COSMIC EYE RECORDS

Price point? Moving magnet only I assume?
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    A gentleman is defined as someone who knows how to play the accordion, and doesn't.

Quote Originally Posted by BobM View Post
    Price point? Moving magnet only I assume?
    Yes it is a moving magnet. In Europe you can find it around 250-290 euros (I've seen it at around $350-400 in the US) and the stylus unit can be replaced.

http://forums.stevehoffman.tv/thread...-review.206293
    Macht das ohr auf!

COSMIC EYE RECORDS